[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/ got this .38 police special, my retard brother left it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 20170107_191027.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_191027.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
hey /k/ got this .38 police special, my retard brother left it in a holster that was moist and it fucked the blueing, how expensive would it be for me to have it redone and also how much could I sell it for, I see them on GB for 700 but that can't be right
>>
File: 20170107_191042.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_191042.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>32571944
>>
>>32571944
You're pretty fucked, make your dumbass brother get you a new one
>>
>>32571944
>redone a blueing
it would certainly cost less than 700$, just look with multiple gunsmith and compare their prices
>>
some of these are highly collectible and $700 isn't abnormal at all. look up that serial number and come back to us with a year. it's not a marshall or a commando and I can't tell if the medallion is gold or silver.

in any case, if it is collectible, do not reblue it, you will destroy its value. if its not, or it's not worth enough to you then restore it if you want but after that it is no longer a vintage gun, it will have no collecting value at all
>>
File: Capture+_2017-01-07-19-33-34.png (125KB, 1439x994px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-01-07-19-33-34.png
125KB, 1439x994px
>>32572029
I know it's from like 1940s and this was it's original blueing. it was my cheating step dad's and he died of a heart attack when they were still married so I got it for whatever reason, he claimed it was an issued one from his gramps or something and that it was never fired, I can't tell if it's gold or not, also so am I fucked? this thing worthless now? Honestly I probably won't sell it, it's pretty cool, also here what came up
>>
>>32572029
Value is already destroyed by destroying the finish. Doesn't appear to be some rare variant. OP just reblue it or don't and keep it as a beater. I don't know why you want to sell it looks like a perfectly fine gun.
>>
>>32572164
I will probably end up keeping it for a innawoods oh shit gun, the little knob on the cylinder pusher thingy is missing too
>>
>>32572145

WWII-era official police had plastic grips; post war was wooden grip with a silver pony medallion and about 1970 it was a gold medallion. the serial is all you need to find out the age PDQ

http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup
>>
>>32572164

this is NOT TRUE FOR ANY ANTIQUE. things like patina, wear and appearance are all taken into account in valuation but the most important part is that you do not fuck with its current condition because you are destroying the chain of history that comes with the gun. this situation is minor and unimportant, but think about a weapon that was used in an important battle, or a chair that Lincoln sat in or something. you reupholster the chair and you have removed the part of the chair that his ass actually touched, you have consigned Lincoln's butthole to the trash, the chair now just an old chair with new cushions and an interesting story. same with the weapon, you restore it and remove the battle damage and the wear and tear on it from when it was actually used and you are taking away the only reason to be interested in the weapon as a collectible.

do. not. remove. provenance.

the only thing that is allowed is preventing further damage, so stop rusting, protect the gun, but don't restore it until you have decided you DON'T care about its history or collectible value
>>
>>32572448
>Providence
>you can't prove
Again, worthless. Do you belive any kyber shitskin with a pot metal martini and broken story about how his great great grandfather took it off a British soldier?
>>
>>32572145
sorry, i didn't actually read your whole post
85% it's the 1937 15% it's the 1950

it's fucked, as a collectible its worth $3-400. pristine it would be worth $1200+

restore it and keep it in the family as an heirloom shooter, they are pretty damn good wheelguns
>>
File: o-RESTORATION-570.jpg (62KB, 570x407px) Image search: [Google]
o-RESTORATION-570.jpg
62KB, 570x407px
>>32572513
doesn't fucking matter, once you restor and antique the entire conversation is over. you never, ever do it.

anyway OP got the answer, it's not worth all that much so up to him or her
>pic related
>>
File: 20170107_201828.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_201828.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>32572531
I have the original holster too, I think I will keep it, won't have it redone and it will be a good gun to pass down, and to tell stories of when the time uncle Alex fucked a collectible pistol
>>
>>32572563
Again it's not removing value to refinish something with no providence you can't otherwise prove or is in unusually good shape for its age? This isn't even a matter of something traceable as something one of a kind to a specific time in a provable manner or deliberately bubbaing something that might have history like a milsurp, German Mausers are expensive because they could have been used in some important war or another, no one gives a shit about Yugoslavian mausers
>>
>>32572683

it has a serial number jfc. i am telling you how the antiques market and collecting in general works, stop arguing with me.

FFS
>have an original Pikachu Illustrator Card
>it's bent and creased but still easily identifiable
>use modern technology to copy it and print out a mint condition Pikachu Illustrator Card
>which one are you going to pay $100,000 for

here is an example you should be able to understand
>>
>>32572752
And the serial number places it at height production, dumbass. It's neither rare or has any proof of where it's been or who owned it so the value is only in the condition, the condition is shit.

Your example falls apart when the rarity is non existent.
>>
>>32572752
terrible analogy, the copied card =/= the original.
a gun with a new finish is the same gun.
that being said, I understand your point and agree with you. refinishing antiques ruins their value.
>>
>>32572829
understood, i was just trying to find a weeb-available reference point, this has been a frustrating discussion
>>
>>32572633

well made plan. shoot that thing, they are rock solid and go bang every time, great fun
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.