[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As someone who's currently applying for the marines, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (87KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
87KB, 750x1334px
As someone who's currently applying for the marines, what ways can I prepare? I can currently do the pushups/situps/pullups
Running leaves a bit to be desired

With 6 months or so left to prepare?
Anyone got any advice? Tips? Stories?
>>
>>32566481
>Royal Marines

DROPPED
>>
>>32566681
That's the kinda support we like
>>
Kegels
>>
>>32566781
Way ahead of you there, got those down
>>
>>32566481
Be able to run 6 miles in under 50 minutes, do long pack marches over rough country but do not run with a pack, you will fuck up your knees. Get very good at calisthenics, so press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc. Swimming is also pretty good exercise in general.
Knew a guy who went into Commando training with 80ish guys in his intake, he was one of 5 who made it through to the commando tests at the end, he fell off the Tarzan assault course and fractured his leg in many places, very lucky he wasnt crippled.

End of the day it doesnt matter how fit you are, it will help but they will break you down physically and mentally, seeing how you react after tabbing for a day with almost no sleep and very little food. They will also beast the shite out of you. The guy said that when he turned up at Lympstone for his training, one of the further ahead training troops was hanging a bloke out of a 4 storey window by bedsheets tied around his ankles, and the poor cunt was literally pissing down himself in fear. Youve got to be a bit raggo to make it through no doubt. This was back in the late 70s-mid 80s but beasting is still an integral part of it.

If you havent already watched the Commando: On The Front Line series, go watch it on Youtube, pretty insightful.
>>
>>32566874
I've seen the YouTube stuff, I've run everything through my head over and over, looking at my weaknesses, how I can fix them

The main thing I hear is its all in your head, if you're physically able to pass prmc, your head is what takes you through the rest
>>
>>32566970
Yeah best thing to do is develop a mindset of removing all emotion and being able to turn anger on and off, controlled aggression. They will intentionally do shit to see who gets pissed off and breaks, e.g:
> 'go fetch me that leaf from that tree'
> you sprint to the tree and grab a leaf and sprint back
> 'no not that one, the other one'
> sprint away and grab it and come back
> 'hmm i dont like the colour of this one'
> and so on for another half an hour

Just shit that tries to break you. As long as you have the mindset to just bury it and keep on chugging you should be fine, timed pack marches are good for this. Try hilly terrain, no more than 15-20kgs in your pack plus a canteen on your belt, and go for 4 miles in under an hour or 8 in under 2, good for building mental endurance. Take a couple snickers bars to throw down your neck if need be. If you can do all that while navigating on the move you should be in a good spot but build up to that gradually. Also remember that the requirements/standards they put up are the bare minimum and you should be able to comfortably surpass all of them.
>>
>>32567077
50 push ups
75 sit ups
10 pull ups
7 minute miles
With 6 months to go I feel like I'll be surpassing the requirements

I've been thinking about applying for 3 years now, finally done it so I know I want it. I'm imagining crossing the bridge at the end of the 33 miler and that thought keeps me going
>>
>>32567095
Thats pretty good, maybe get that push up figure up as well as pull ups, e.g being able to do 2 sets of 40 push ups with a minute break inbetween, and 2 sets of 10-15 pullups with a minute break.
How long/far can you maintain 7 minute miles, and whats your fastest time for a 1.5 miler?

Yeah when the going gets tough just think about making it to the end of the week, the end of the day or just the end of that particular exercise, and if the going gets tough on the long tabs or runs just imagine that green beret at every next corner or the crest of each hill. Sounds like youve got your head screwed on pretty well though mate.
>>
>>32567186
Never timed the 1.5, was going to the other day but the app bitched out
Doing a pier to pier run tomorrow so I'll know then
The 7min a mile pace is upheld for two miles at most

I was always that scrawny kid, decided I wanted to do this, told friends and family, they all sneered. Time to prove them all wrong at last- it's not about that though, this is for me and my desire to complete this course
>>
Different kinds of runs

Like to get my time down I've do hill sessions on one day, strength on the next, long run on the next, strength, hills, etc.
>>
>>32567796
Use the Nike running app if your current one is a bit dodgy, its free and pretty decent. Try and really bust a gut on the 1.5, anywhere under 10 minutes is a good benchmark.
Another good thing is Fartlek training, basically a mix of long slow steady runs for up to an hour (like 5-6 miles at very light pace) sprinting in segments (e.g sprint 100-200 metres, rest a minute, do it again, repeat x10) and good pace shorter runs (e.g 2 miles at a 75% pace), and all together it helps increase your vo2 max, your cadence, stride, speed and recovery rate.

To be honest mate youll be fine, what you normally see is that the smaller wiry guys do better than the big hench guys because theyre carrying more bodyweight and need to supply more oxygen to their muscles. Its a lot more about your mental ability to keep on trucking. Screw what your family thinks, its not their dream or passion, and yeah aim to prove them wrong with that beret on your noggin.
>>
Good Luck OP. I'm gonna apply for the Army soon.
>>
Diet is a good thing to keep an eye on

As soon as I stopped eating anything and everything I got a lot stronger and faster easier
>>
>>32568877
What arm/regiment/role?
>>
>>32569348
Platoon Officer in the Infantry. Looking at the Rifles or the PWRR, but tempted to go for the Paras
>>
>>32569368
Fair enough mate, good on you. Just be aware that only around 150 candidates out of the potential officer recruit pool go to Sandhurst a year so just make sure you study up good for the AOSB. Paras would also be a great career, my uncle was in the Paras in N.Ireland and Iraq, only thing is you dont need to be massively smart but you need to be fit as fuck. On selection a lot of para guys run sub 8 minute 1.5 milers, some do it in about 6. Dont let that put you off though, with the right training regimen and dedication you can do it.
>>
>>32568428
Depending on the direction of my run, I end up sprinting the last hundred or so up or down a hill to get home
>>
>>32569445
Thanks pal
>>
>>32569569
Thats a good habit to get into, just completely emptying the tank in the last few hundred, also helps to know youve got that bit of reserve energy. If its a fairly steep hill, or if theres a grassy hill near you, do sprints up it with a 10-15kg pack. Do NOT do it on tarmac.

Warm up and stretch, jog up and down a couple times, then sprint up a couple times, then get the pack on and do 5 sets of 2, i.e you sprint up with the back, come down at a very light pace, then when you get to the bottom immediately turn and sprint back up, and thats one set. Do that 5 times with a couple minutes break in between sets, then do a few sprints without the pack afterwards, youll go up that hill like a greased weasel. Youll know youve done good when you try and get out of bed the next day and fall over. Know your limits though, build up to that gradually otherwise you can hurt yourself, or do it with a mate.

Whereabouts are you at if you dont mind me asking? The pier to pier thing had me wondering, not in Bournemouth are you?
>>
>>32569693
No worries man, put up a post when you get your selection dates and all that if you need any tips or anything, quite a decent brit/k/ presence on here who are pretty good at helping people out. Best of luck.
>>
Queer
>>
>>32569708
You've got some very helpful advice there
You've nailed it on the head with that guess for location
>>
>>32566481
wear boots everywhere to get your feet in shape by building up those calluses.
Plus do tons of cardio.
>>
>>32570663
No worries mate, Im in Bournemouth/Winton myself most of the year and ive done the pier to pier a few times so had to hazard a guess
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.