[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When talking about snake bites, almost all survival books/videos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: snakebite.jpg (24KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
snakebite.jpg
24KB, 400x287px
When talking about snake bites, almost all survival books/videos say the same old shit which is "find a hospital"

But what if there's no help nearby?

Is it so hard to treat snake bites in the wilderness?
>>
>>32546548
because anyone stupid enough to get bit is too stupid to have antivenom

snake venom comes in two flavors - the kind that makes your nervous system shut down, and the kind that starts you digesting before you get eaten
>>
>>32546548
You have to suck the venom out
>>
You fucking die.

Do you have a full set of all antivenoms you may need, and enough snake knowledge to administer the right one? Wrong antivenom kills you just by the way.
>>
>>32546561
shit bait
>>
>>32546548
>Is it so hard to treat snake bites in the wilderness?
yes
that shit's inside you
>>
Yup. Even with antivenom, you'd still need to be in intensive care, with shots of antibiotic every now and then and constant monitor of heart rate and blood pressure

Take it from a reservist in some upper third world country who saw a soldiers treated from snake bite in a military hospital. Hell snake bite is the surest way to get helicopter medevac in thick jungle
>>
>>32546548
Find a hospital.
>>
>>32546560
There is also the type that attacks your blood.
>>
>>32546560
You forgot the kind that turns your blood to jelly.

http://www.backpacker.com/survival/treat-a-snakebite/
>>
>>32546590
Where exactly?
>>
>>32546643
Thailand
>>
>>32546629
>write an article on how to treat a snakebite
>don't do this shit, go to the fucking hospital
A+
>>
>>32546562
Also, doesn't antivenom need to be collected fresh/refrigerated?
>>
>>32546548

If we went camping, and a snake bit me on the wiener, and you had to suck the venom out to save my life, would you tell anyone about it?
>>
>>32546950
No. At least, not the ones I know of

They do have shelf life tho.
>>
File: Snek.jpg (78KB, 374x626px) Image search: [Google]
Snek.jpg
78KB, 374x626px
>>32546548
It really is that hard.
The best you can hope for is that its a dry-bite, or didn't inject a lethal amount of venom. Assuming you live through the non-lethal envenomation, you'll have to contend with the possibility of an allergic reaction, what appendage was bitten being infected along with whatever flesh melting, nerve raping results of the venom itself.

Snakes will fuck your shit up and that's why anyone with half a brain just leaves the cunts alone unless there's a dire threat to pets, livestock or people.
There is no magic pill, reality sucks.
>>
>>32547047
Or you could let the snake to bite you to build up yo immune system

>if it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid
>>
>But what if there's no help nearby?

Then you do what happened to people before hospitals and antivenom existed

Die
>>
>>32547078
Its not like bullets though where you get shot with smaller ones to become resistant to bigger ones.
Little snek venom is in some species a lot more concentrated and toxic than the full grown buggers... just grab a big one by the tail, slap him around and make jokes about his mum.

Better yet
Wrestle to assume dominance
>>
Australian here, pretty sure I was taught in school to tie off the limb to slow blood supply too. Also if you can, kill it with a shovel or something and take it with you.
>>
EMT B here.
>>32547038
There's a newer type of stuff that isn't actually derived from snake venom, but it's insanely expensive and most places don't stock it. Most places don't actually stock normal antivenin either for that matter.
>>32546548
If you're innawoods and bit, you're in dire fuckin straits. Don't tourniquet(depending on species but generally in the USA don't do it), stay as calm as possible and get to a fuckin hospital.
>>
>>32547019
anon if you took me camping we wouldn't need a snake bite for me to suck on your weiner :)
>>
>>32547117

>You are now thinking of all of the times you have wandered aimlessly in the desert without snake boots...

>>32547139

wanna go camping?
>>
>>32547148
yes
>>
>>32547148
>>32547155
Ar- are you two already pitching tents?!
>>
Other than snake venom how else do they make an antivenom?

>>32547078
I thought it's a joke but someone actually fucking did this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2448307/Man-claims-snake-bite-immunity-injecting-venom.html
>>
>>32547155

* ^^
>>
>>32546560
>the kind that makes your nervous system shut down, and the kind that starts you digesting before you get eaten

there are also snakes with a mixture of the two types. you can:

>cut open bite to facilitate bleeding
>apply tourniquet and compression bandage over the limb
>stroke/massage out the venom
>pour vinegar/alcohol/water over the wounds you cut to wash as much out as you can
>hydrate a lot
>after all of the above try to increase your body temp and especially the temp of the affected limb as that will denaturate the poison protein
>>
File: 1480121465419.jpg (45KB, 396x494px) Image search: [Google]
1480121465419.jpg
45KB, 396x494px
>>32547019
>>32547148
>tfw no snakedick to suck
>>
>>32547117
>EMT B here.
How important is it to have non-autismo social skills as an EMT

I'm pretty calm and level-headed in a crisis. Was at work one day when a kid got his arm stuck in an elevator and mangled and I was the only person not freaking out and crying, trying to manage the bleeding until meds arrived. But I can't into casual conversation for shit.
>>
>>32547164
I don't know about them, but I certainly am...
>>
>>32547172
Some antivenom are derived from plant but while effective, it's not as fast acting as regular antivenom (being ingested instead of directly applied into the blood stream) and is specific to the snake population of that area

sometimes it won't work on the same snake species in different part of the world
>>
>>32546581

He's not entirely wrong, it couldn't hurt to reduce the amount of snake venom in your body, and venom hardly works on your digestive system (though you shouldn't drink it regardless)

Unless your mouth is full of open wounds
>>
>>32547111
AFAIK that's only recommended for the snakes with the worse kind of venom. So... Australian and African. Or coral snakes in America
>>
>>32547019
It's faster to cut off wiener at base after tying it off.

You'd thank me later.
>>
>>32547172
I forget what they use but it does exist, though as I said it is prohibitively costly and most places do not stock it. It's like 50 grand a pop or something ridiculous like that. If we actually used it here I'd know more about it but we don't and so, I don't know much about it other than it exists.

We also have only rattlesnakes here(only deadly snake in region that is) and your chances of getting a venomous bite from one is like 25% We have Hognoses too but they won't kill you, just make you feel like you have an epic case of the Flu

>>32547194
You need to be able to talk to people. there's no way around it.
>find out what happened
>pertinent medical history
>from patient/witnesses/family
>etc
>>
>>32547148
>If I pull the arrow out, will you suck the poison out of my ass?
>>
Strayan here, is there any kind of clothing that's particularly resistant to snake bites?
>>
>>32547418
Good boots, good denim. Best is still just don't fuck with snakes though.
>>
>>32546548
die like the bitch you are.
>>
>>32547423
I don't plan on it, but they're sneaky bastards and so many of them are venomous here.
>>
>>32547418
>>32547423
Another Australian, brown snakes, which are the most common where I've lived, are pretty chill. It's not something I've ever worried about, just if you come across one on long grass, slowly move away. It probably won't even budge either.

The things can be two metres and thick as fuck, but the largest things they usually go for are still small rabbits.
>>
>>32547445
Probably should have also said, pay attention. Mostly they will avoid you if at all possible, but if they think they can just let you walk by and you're not paying attention and step on one it could end poorly for you. Wear good boots and pay attention. Best thing you can do
>>
>>32547418

Long thick pants and boots. Anybody that wandered around in the wilderness in shorts and shoes because it's cooler is asking to brush up against some poisonous plant, scrape their leg open on something or invite a snakebite.
>>
>>32547182

This is patently pseudoscientific and will kill you faster.
>>
>>32547492
That's at least one thing we don't have too much of in Australia, poisonous plants!
>>
File: type79smg.jpg (33KB, 600x278px) Image search: [Google]
type79smg.jpg
33KB, 600x278px
>>32546548
My dad got bitten by a Viper on the arm when he was in his 20s, he didn't even see it or hear it, just felt it, he was with mates at the time, he assumed it was just some shitty little thing and kept going, he quickly became delirious when the venom kicked in and his mates urged him to go the hospital but he said "fuck it, I'm going home", somehow he managed it, the mad fucker, dragged himself into bed and slept for like 32 hours straight, when he woke up, his arm was literally the circumference of football(football football not handegg football) right from his shoulder to his wrist, he couldn't get up and had vivid nightmares for 3 weeks straight.

He had dreams where he'd be lying in bed then blood would suddenly pour from the ceiling and drench him or shit would crawl across it like in Trainspotting. He also had dreams where he dreamt he was fully conscious, as if he'd woken up and everything was normal, and he went about doing normal things like going to the shops then something horrific would happen like a car bomb or he'd get impaled by a javelin or crushed by a digger, then he'd wake up. But he'd still be asleep, he'd have like 4 of these waking dreams in the one "dream" and whenever he woke up properly, he always thought he was still dreaming and it was fucking with his head.

He's now got a huge fuck off scar that runs down his bicep from where the swelling forced the bite wounds open, it's pretty nasty.

Now he has a deep hatred for snakes and wants to kill every single one he sees, so yeah, don't fuck with snakes
>>
>>32547505
on the contrary http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2012/07/australias-most-poisonous-plants/
>>
>>32547496
This. They only good information here is hydrate and stay warm, but not for the bullshit reason he says to stay warm.
>>
>>32547536
Not all of those are native, I didn't think stinging nettles were native though, that surprised me. Can confirm, they do hurt.
>>
>>32547520
Your dad is a moron, but considering you're European that isn't surprising.
>>
>>32547520
Your dad's a bloody idiot.
>>
>>32546561
Dracula dont suck. He scrape and lick.
>>
>>32547182

Please tell me this is just malicious trolling and not actual advice.

By the time you can react to the fact that you've been bitten, the venom is already on its way through your bloodstream. The circulatory system is quicker than you appreciate.
>>
>>32547614
>>32547618
He was young and stupid, believe me that wasn't the stupidest thing he did back then but he's completely flipped the otherway now, won't take any unnecessary risks, doesn't just mong it and hope for the best anymore

shame it took 6 near death experiences (4 of which were terrorist attacks) to stop doing stupid shit
>>
>>32547238
Hognose are rearfanged.
They need to have a good chew on you to get those fangs in. Some people have a reaction like a bee sting. Others have their bitten area swell up like a balloon. I've heard complaints about joint pain, but never flu. Where did you hear/read/see this?
>>
>>32547520
That's pretty metal dude.
>>
>>32547684
Terrorist attacks? You can't just say that and not provide a story you goof.
>>
>>32547684
What country do you live in and is your dad a Terminator?
>>
>>32547721
He's a Brit. UK has a lot of Irish. That's why they're so calm in their reporting of recent Muslim attacks.

Also, Pakistan's flag is green. Coincidence? Wake up sheeple!
>>
>>32547687
I know they are rear fanged and need a good bite/chew. Perhaps "epic flu" was a bit overstated, but yeah joint pain, headaches are flu like symptoms which is what I meant really. Not actual sickness just the aches and pains that can come with a Hognose bite, I've seen a couple people with bites from them. I'd say it's worse than a bee sting at the site for sure.
>>
>>32547721
>>32547772

Northern Ireland (Although he was in Germany when he was bitten by the snake

He was on the back of my uncles motorbike, they crashed it at high speed because my uncle was drunk, he died but my dad got out with absolutely no injuries somehow

Then the terror shit was just various car bombs, getting shot at by republicans, then one time he had broken his thumb and wanted to go to Belfast city hospital, the protestants were causing shite on that particular day and had made some somali tier roadblocks in places, anyway my dad said he was in terrible pain and wasn't about to suffer the whole day because of those bastards. He had a Subaru XT in those days and came up to the roadblock. What they would do is wait for you to stop, grab you out of the car and kick your fuck in, so my dad didn't stop, floored it instead. they moved out of the way and my dad was able to get his thumb seen to. The price he paid for that little stunt was a neat little bullet hole through the windscreen

Also he was almost murdered over a chinese delivery but that was more an escalating argument rather than terrorism or anything

I would have put it all in greentext but I don't really know enough about what happened
>>
>>32547687
Venom isn't the only problem with a bite, there's also whatever bacteria and dirt were in the noodle's mouth, too.
>>
>tfw Canada has no poisonous snakes, spiders, or anything else
And you fuckers laugh at us for living in all this cold! I don't see any Killer Bees up here!

Hahahahaha!

>tfw trampled to death by a moose minutes later
>>
>>32548253
Why are Meeses so evil, Mister Leaf?
>>
>>32546548
Snake venom has one specific job, kill your prey, thousands of years of evolution tend to ensure that it does it's one job exceptionally well.
>>
>>32547649
Underated kek
>>
File: goose.jpg (29KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
goose.jpg
29KB, 500x333px
>>32548253
>what's that sound?
>wait no, I'm still alive?
>yes, I made i-
[HONKING INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>32548253
senpai we have rattlesnakes in canada
>>
>>32548282
Moose aren't your whimpy faggot deer that will run off like little bitches if you run at them screaming loudly, they're big, strong "fuck off" animals that see you and think "awww hell naw, you think you can walk on my turf you little two legged fuck?"
>>
>>32546560
It's not all retarded. A marine sniper training course included a stalk n shoot section. One guy had to give up position because he was face to face with a diamondback. Theoretically it would be a good skill for /k/. I know you can use a tourniquet, but that's pretty much an amputation. Carrying snake antivenom in you BOB is probably the best bet. Just go ask the local wildlife rangers or research the local fauna.
>>
>>32546590
Fuck. No wonder snakes are so feared
>>
>>32548282
because they are fucking enormous animals. The North American equivalent of fucking with a Rhino or Hippo in Africa.
>>
File: Snake-Bite-kit-2.jpg (17KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Snake-Bite-kit-2.jpg
17KB, 450x450px
stop being weak cunts this is all you need m8
>>
File: SnL.gif (631KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
SnL.gif
631KB, 250x189px
>>32547649
>>
>>32548921
>Slicing yourself open in the middle of the woods
Retard alert!
>>
File: Don't.jpg (3MB, 3096x2477px) Image search: [Google]
Don't.jpg
3MB, 3096x2477px
>two anons in innawoods
>one gets bit in balls by a rattlesnake
>Ahhh, call 911 anon!
>911 says suck poison out or your friend will die
> Ahhh, what did 911 say anon?
>They said you gonna die.
>>
>>32546548
All antivenom is composed of monoclonal antibodies against the venom of a particular snake. Antivenom antibodies are kind of difficult to produce and purify in the field. Hence the need for a hospital which has already purchased said antibodies from a pharmaceutical company.
>>
File: snake gaiters.jpg (39KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
snake gaiters.jpg
39KB, 480x720px
>>32547418
Most Aust snakes have shorter fangs, so thick clothing and boots will help a lot.
But if you're walking through places that have a lot of Tigers or Browns that can get really fucking cranky- gaiters will be more than enough to protect your lower legs.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.