[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>guerilla war in dense jungle terrain against insurgents armed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: M113_vietnam0[1].jpg (155KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
M113_vietnam0[1].jpg
155KB, 1024x800px
>guerilla war in dense jungle terrain against insurgents armed heavily with machine guns, small arms, rocket launchers
>"DUDE LETS SEND ALL OUR TROOPS IN APCs MADE OF LITERALLY ALUMINIUM LMAO"
>>
The army wasn't known for smart decisions in Vietnam. What irks me more than that is how we decided to keep using the damn thing for decades.
>>
>>32544234
War is about money. Aluminum is expensive.
>>
>>32544154
>>32544234

They're proofed against small arms fire and while the US simply used them as battle taxis, ARVN had great success using them as IFVs.
>>
>>32544250
They should have recyled it and built planes out of the aluminum. Then they should have built something actually usefull out of steel and watched Mike Sparks rage
>>
>>32544154
>Insulting the mighty Gavin
Get out.
>>
>>32544154
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4&feature=youtu.be&t=4640
>>
>>32544154
You're an idiot. The tropics are 30 degrees celcius all day ery day, 12 hours sunlight, 90% humidity. The soil is muddy, the plants thick and thorny, the wild life out to kill you. Then there's Charlie and his handycraft too. You come from a temperate country carrying heavy packs and weapons. You bet you want a ride.
>>
>>32544154
I am guessing that you have a somewhat tenuous grasp of the differences between an APC and an IFV.
>>
>>32544918
The M113 was however used as an IFV quite often in Vietnam, despite it not beeing designed for that.
>>
>>32544931
Exactly that. People criticized the HMMWV for being unarmored when it was designed as a utility truck.

Expecting the 113 to thrive in a jungle war with no clear lines is odd, considering it was designed to fight in Europe in conventional war.
>>32544234
In fairness, they do make a good basis for recovery/engineer vehicles. I would take a Brad or Stryker any day as a fighting vehicle, but the 113 had its place.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.