[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the propper way to use a light machinegun like an RPK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

File: 130929_3fa2a1d1.jpg (455KB, 690x1024px) Image search: [Google]
130929_3fa2a1d1.jpg
455KB, 690x1024px
What is the propper way to use a light machinegun like an RPK or minimi? have any manuals?
>>
>>32541951
what are you looking for?

short answer: used for suppression of enemy fire and as the long range firepower of a squad.
>>
>>32542132
like the sort of manual they would give a guy in the army that tells them how to hold and shoot the rifle, instructions for a loader if there is one.
>>
>>32542247
it differs between an rpk and saw. I teach machine gunnery in army if you have specific questions, and have gotten to fire an RPK several time on an auto range.

Experiences with AutoRifles L/M/H/GMG if you have any in depth questions. But at work currrently, don't have any PDFs with me.
>>
>>32542294
how long are typical bursts? what volume of fire would you want to focus on an enemy over, say, a minute? Do you jerk or sweep the gun to supress an area, or just let the natural dispersion take over? how do you hold it while stationary? I see all sorts of pictures of people holding it by the forearm or ammo box, or by the stock, or with both hands on the pistol grip.
>>
>>32542399
>how long are typical bursts?
with an automatic rifle 3-5 rounds, lighter and smaller weapon requires shorter burst to stay on target.
with MMG you fire 7-9 rounds, typically in a tighter group than you can fire 3-5 from an AR

these bursts stay the same, but delay between them dictates rounds per min.

>what volume of fire would you want to focus on an enemy over, say, a minute?

100rds/min in sustained fight (conserve ammo while still providing suppression)

200rds/min considered rapid (more frequent barrel change)

More than that requires high rate of battel change.

these numbers are less in a fixed-barrel weapon (RPK)

>Do you jerk or sweep the gun to supress an area, or just let the natural dispersion take over?

gernerally neither, you bind in good bursts on specific group targets. The transition to other targets in area of suppression. If you spray around, you wont hit anything.

>how do you hold it while stationary?
Tightly. Roll shoulder into it, dig a foot trench to push forward with if possible. Twist arms inward to pull close and hard. One hand on grip, other around stock, pushing forward into bipod or tripod. Shooting an MG is exhausting, but you can hit targets at 1000m+ with ease. Much more effective than "sniper system"
You want to kill for far? forget the barrett, get a 240.
>>
>>32541951
LMGs in the Canadian Army are used on the flanks to maximize the effectiveness and available firepower across the entire front of advance.

Typically in a defensive scenario, the LMGs and GPMGs are still on the extended flanks to maximize the effective area of the beaten zone.
>>
>>32542543
at what organizational level?
>>
>>32542511
Between the entire squad, how much ammo is carried for saw? For 240? How long would it hold out until resupply?
>>
>>32542653
mission dependant, unit dependant. Obviously a mech unit can carry more than light.

M240 is platoon weapon, so not forund in squad. Combat load carried by SAW gunners will be 800-1k, but teamleaders and other will carry more.
>>
>>32542682
Wait just individual saw gunners carry 800 rounds? Damn that's heavy. Isn't saw by itself over 20 lb? How do they carry other shit if gunners are supposed to be the smallest people to avoid getting shot?
>>
>>32542575
Each section gets two C9s (LMG). They're placed on opposite ends of the line typically.

Each platoon has at least one C6 (GPMG) team and is attached to the weapons det and will move with the PL commander, the PL signaler, and any other heavy weapons (CG 84mm team and other C6 teams). The PL commander will place them on the flanks or wherever they are needed in the case of deploying an ambush or assault. In a defensive scenario, they are typically placed on the flanks or in positions where they have extended lines of sight.
>>
Here's a video detailing what the Beaten Zone is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUQxwgfGrUA

And here's one detailing what enfilade and defilade positions of fire are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K77aMHbaBIs
>>
>>32542727
i doubt a SAW weighs 20lb, prolly more like 15lb..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249_light_machine_gun

17 lb unloaded, 22 lb loaded.
>>
Ammo loads are mission dependent in my unit. My gun team has carried between 800-2000 rds for our 240, more thought goes into our load capacity and carrying than you would think. Have spent over $300 of my own money developing a carrying system to help manage some of the weight. Thankfully we are mech so we can utilize the truck when possible.
>>
>>32542653
In the CAF, the gunners themselves will carry a couple of boxes, as will their Fireteam Partners. The rest of the section will generally have a box in the C9 pouch on their TacVest.
>>
>>32542727
first, they don't pick small guys to avoid being shot, thats a myth.

Loaded SAW is 22lbs, and then they carry spare barrel, CQB barrel, tripod (sometimes TL will carry tripod), and thermal. (and water, armor , sustainment blah blah) you get the idea, being a SAW gunner is rough. Did it for a year and a half, got stronger.

Everybody in the squad is carrying critical equipment. SAW is only a little over the average.
>>
>>32542750
do they literally move in a line?

>>32542777
yeah this is the next step off what Im saying (judging by titles..vids loading slow)

>>32542801
i feel ya bro, we are a light unit too, but the occasional blackhawk is a gift from god.
>>
>>32542843
In a theoretical scenario, yes. Usually terrain and buildings doesn't permit that sort of advance but it's just theory for attacking a small force over an open piece of ground.
>>
>>32542247
The RPK manual of arms is identical to the AK.
>>
>>32542869
what is typical movement formation from assembly area to objective?

>>32542897
except for the entire theory of implimentation
>>
>>32542843
Our BC set up an echelon of fire lane we ran with company SBF up to Army aviation(mortards, arty, apaches), was a 1.5km movement with 2100 rounds, and all the other shit we needed, then we BOUNDED another 1000m engaging shit. We literally finished the lane, walked back to the TA, rearmed and ran it again.

One of the worst experiences of my life.
>>
>>32542511
exhausting in the weight, or also the way in which you hold the weapon while firing? very interesting
>>
Gonna talk out my ass a little, but modern doctrine has machine gun emplacements doing something called "talking". You see, you can't just hold the trigger down, because your barrel will get all hot and floppy like cooked spaghetti (something you should all be familiar with).
So the idea is to set up multiple machine guns, and have the machine guns release a burst of fire in turn.
This ensures maximum toward a given position, and minimum barrel melting.
>>
>>32542915
>except for the entire theory of implimentation
You are reading entirely too much into this.
>>
>>32542918
bounded 1000m? jesus christ

>>32542939
both, shouldering a 22lb weapon while bounding is tough
>>
>>32542964
This is correct, although it is more for ammo conservation than barrel heat management.
>>
>>32542976
Yeah, I had the 240 and 800 rounds, and in an instance or two, literally left the tripod on and just muscled the entire thing to the next emplacement point, AG had the tripod, 1200 rounds, spare barrel and his own combat load. Our WSL had the remaining 100 rounds for each gun.
>>
>>32542819
>they don't pick small guys to avoid being shot, that's a myth

no, they pick them because
1. it's funny
2. the other small saw gunner thinks to himself, "i went through this shit so this fucking new bitch can go through it too"
>>
>>32542819
cqb barrel? they seriously have those?
>>
>>32543041
Yes. They have short barrels for m240's as well.
>>
>>32542974
if you think that AKs and RPKs are intended to be used in a remotely similar way, then you are not reading into it enough.
>>
>>32543011
haha sounds rough

>>32543041
yes, bii
>>
>>32543053
They are both used to shoot at people or things, so, yea they're remotely similar.
>>
>>32543074
It was. Everyone wants to be a machine gunner, until it's time to do machine gun shit.
>>
>>32543088
you forget they're also both composed of protons and neutrons.
>>
Already most educational thread 2017.
>>
>>32543088

>They are fired at people the have the same manual of arms

ok, so you are trolling,

have a good night then

>>32543092
I feel ya, where we train we have some stupid steep hills. Runnng up and down those takes its toll. I feel ya.

like they say :

Machine guns are like women, kind of a bitch to have around, but if you want some action, accept no substitute
>>
>>32543152
My anime does the job even better though
>>
>>32543132
just doing what i can ;)

any more questions?

I'm qualified to instruct any Infantry weapon but Missile systems (trying to get that cert), and I also am a Smal Unit Tactics instructor at my unit, Im happy to answer more questions.
>>
>>32543166
sorry you are lonely bro
>>
>>32543194
how much do 11C's "mesh" with normie infantry, do they do the same missions, or do they follow closely behind ready to provide mortar support
>>
>>32543235
They will attach their fisters (13F observers) with us in a line platoon. They will put a few 11Cs with 60s in the company HQ section, but many of them work with 81s and 120s at the Batt. level.

Long story short (as it is a fluid thing), only fisters will get down to the PLT level, 11Cs are usually found with CO HQ and higher.
>>
>>32541951
With one hand.
Fire from the hip.
Pull stupid face.
Play it ain't me in the background.
Bonus effect: Shout out "USA! USA!" Repeatedly.
>>
>>32543194
least favorite infantry weapon?
>>
>>32541951
As a squad automatic weapon laying down suppressive fire in the support role with a second person acting as a spotter/loader- preferably in the prone position or some other supported position with the bipod deployed.

Also is that Sayla Mass with some russian shit painted on?
>>
File: YQ9G4eh.jpg (585KB, 2250x1500px) Image search: [Google]
YQ9G4eh.jpg
585KB, 2250x1500px
>>32543194
Is your job the one where you go to random countries and shoot their piece of shit rifles in some weird training mission and then get your photograph posted on wikipedia?
>>
>>32543349
>>
>>32543354
>>
>>32543312
Currently in US service?
Probably the M9. Big, heavy, should have higher capacity for the size, and pretty consistently struggles to perform when dirty or improperly oiled. I thought the issues came from age or neglect, but we got a few brand new and they were just as picky.

Not a big fan of the Carl Gustov either, I maintain that everything it does, the SMAW does better. Full disclosure, I've never fired a SMAW, but on eof my old squad leaders gunned one in the Marines. He loved the registering rounds, and the guided rounds. It performs very well, as well as a great compliment of rounds.

I dislike the Gustov because I see it as something the Army will struggle to look past in favor of the gustov.
>>
>>32543349
god I wish it was, but no. I just get to shoot a lot to keep up on my skills in order to train others.
>>
>>32543194
1. what is the most convoluted, hard to teach weapon system you have to put up with and what makes it such a pain
2. how did you get from recruit to where you are now
>>
>>32543504
Hmm, time-wise, the M2 machine gun takes people a lot of repetition to get disassembly/reassembly down. That requires me to 1-on-1 spend a lot of time with each person as they do it over and over to get it memorized. Also the iron sights are measured in yards (everything else is in meters), which messes with everybody.

Mk19 is finnicky and only likes certain types of lube. CLP messes up the feeding surfaces, so making sure everybody knows that is really critical. Also, clearing procedure is pretty weird. If there are remained rounds to unload, after you take the belt out, you stick a rod (usually a piece of a .50 cal cleaining rod) through the charging handle slot, feel for the face of the bolt, and pry the live grenade off the bolt and catch it as it falls out the ejection port.

How did I get where I am now. I was in ROTC before I decided I wanted to be enlisted, so I learned a lot of basic stuff there. That meant I wasn't a clueless PVT when I showed up, and made good impressions early. I got picked for a soldier of the year competition and went pretty far, so that cemented me as a "good soldier". I was still a PFC, but they wanted to send me to this trainer school because they knew I was competent. This trainer position was for sergeants, so they promoted me with a waiver so I could get into the spot. I've been doing this for several years now and I really love it.

Love teaching, love training. Love guns.
>>
>>32543587
>having to stick a rod near the bolt of a loaded mk19 and catch a live grenade every time you want to unload it

wtf who designed that
>>
>>32543617
I know, it never get less weird
>>
>>32543354
The hell is that rifle? It kinda looks like a curvier tavor
>>
>western militaries really care about overheating and ammo conservation
i thought its a mene. never read about russians doing in chechnya for example. just shoot everythign you can for short period of time and try to get close/take cover/use bigger instruments as ugl's, rpgs or vehicle cannons
>>
>>32543724
this doesn't make sense at all
>>
>>32543749
how so
>>
>>32543749
I lost him at mene and lumping everyone in one place by saying western
>>
>>32543659
Sar-21. pretty good rifle with a good trigger for a bullpup.
>>
>>32543770
of course they care about ammo conservation. Fire and maneuver is the cornerstone of infantry tactics. You use coordinated fires (Small arms, UGL, SLM, vehicle weapons, IDF) to suppress the enemy and take the decisive action (assault, flank, bypass, etc, etc)
>>
>>32543794
pls dont bully)))))
>>
File: 1411139448627.jpg (44KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1411139448627.jpg
44KB, 640x640px
>>32543092
>for u, unfortunately its the no captions version
>>
>>32543806
>alrite, bmp sshoot the shit out of window, 2nd squad change the bmp truck and cover, 1st squad follow me))))
>>
>>32543844
suppressive fire enables decisive action

anything else is wasting ammo
>>
So long can current service rifles/machine guns fire before they over heat?
>>
>>32543863
Doctrine on the C9 LMG and C6 GPMG is to swap the barrel every 200 rounds, to prevent any damage. Rifles shouldn't ever be firing frequently and quickly enough in a sustained manner to worry about overheating, unless something has gone very very wrong.
>>
>>32543863
Eh, really depends honestly. We got to a point during a training exercise where our other gun went down and we had to pick up our rate of fires to cover down, unfortunately it was right before a barrel change so we ended up just running the same barrel. Long story short it took a big rock and a beating to get the barrel off to change it.
>>
>>32546330
so is it really a big deal to overuse a barrel? what's the worst that can happen
>>
>>32546401
It's definitely not good for it..your rate of fire accuracy go way down when they get that hot. Also, there is an increase in malfunctions and cook offs.
>>
>>32546401
Death. No, never mind, that's only 2 pieces of paper. Destruction of government property, that requires 3 pieces of paper.
>>
>>32546420
Not really sure why you think an over heated barrel will lead to the destruction of government property...
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.