[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/ Without making this a blog post, basically I'm moving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: eastmans-hunting-tv3-800x471.jpg (155KB, 800x471px) Image search: [Google]
eastmans-hunting-tv3-800x471.jpg
155KB, 800x471px
Hi /k/

Without making this a blog post, basically I'm moving to another state, Wisconsin, and they have much more favorable gun laws for hunting. I'm new to actually handling guns (never shot one before) but I want to get a hunting rifle because I'd like to go hunting when I'm up there, any recommendations?

Basically I want to avoid looking like a fucktard when using the gun and don't want to buy something that people would scoff at
>>
>>32540566
Savage or Tikka.
>>
>>32540566
>caring what other people think
Also, look at the sticky. Get some bolt gun in your price range .308 or .30-06.
>>
>>32540575
Are those brands?

I wasn't kidding man I'm retarded when it comes to guns, I was raised by some bleeding heart folks.
>>
File: 1421980565724.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1421980565724.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>32540575
>>
>>32540566
Tikka t3 in 308 with a good sling, spend money on a good mount and optic
>>
>>32540601
www.google.com
>>
>>32540566
Get connected with a hunter. Most will be happy to introduce you to the sport, recommend rifles, and take you hunting. Just don't come across as an asshat, and be ready to learn. There's a lot more to deer hunting than you realize but the feeling of taking your first deer is absolutely unforgettable.
>killed my first deer with a borrowed rifle
>Five years later helped new noguns coworker take a deer using my rifle
>>
>>32540566
Got a price range? You can get a nice-ish hunting rifle for under $600, but you'll also need to spend at least $300 on glass and mounts.

Rifles to look at:
>Savage 11/111
>Remington 700 SPS (Don't buy the /k/ memes, they're decent rifles)
>Tikka t3x- any flavor
>Kimber 84m

Assuming you're just hunting whitetail or whatever, get a .270 Win or .308 Win.
>>
>>32540713
Sounds like a plan, hunting and D&D is how I plan on making new friends
>>32540682
Th-thanks
>>32540677
Looking at these, they seem pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation!
>>
>>32540757
Tikka is good, but foreign made. If you care about buying American-made (ACTUALLY American made, not just a US brand name on the box), you'll want to look at Savage as well.
>>
>>32540713
>>32540757
>get connected with a hunter
This. Literally best way to get connected and learn about hunting.
If you plan to hunt public land (which you should) having an experienced person there to familiarize you is invaluable.
>moved to Montana
>experienced hunter but knew nothing about area.
>met hunterbro neighbor
>hunterbro let me hunt his deer lease
>took my first montana buck last month
>>
>>32540750
Remington
>meme

Remington IS a fucking meme. The only shit guns i've ever had were my SPS tactical and my Remington 870 tactical. My SPS would jam when feeding in rounds and the stock would touch the barrel when rested on sandbags fucking the POI when shooting in different positions. My 870 tactical jams on ALL brands low brass ammo requiring mortaring every 3-4 shots to open the action. Oh... and its the only gun in my gun safe that's fucking RUSTING, even with its "elite desert tactical paintjob"

So yeah... Tikka and CZ are about your best bets for value and quality on a hunting rifle.
>>
>>32540926
The 700 hunting models are legit, and always have been.
>>
>>32540682
Kek
>>
> no one said the memes yet

Get a Mosin or SKS.
>>
>>32540566
Savage axis
Ruger American
Mossberg Patriot
Marlin X7
Remington 783

Everything else is bullshit. These rifles are literally perfect for hunting. Don't waste a shit ton of money on a hunting rifle that will sit in a safe 99% of the time. No. Military surplus rifles arent good either, they arent especially cheaper than the models listed above and fire relatively obscure cartridges: plus they dont allow for scopes without modificstion, and most of the models I listed COME WITH scopes. If you go with any rifle not on the above list, you are being an autist.
>>
>>32542069
Also, .308 and 30-06 are the only chambering you should consider.
>>
>>32542069
This nigga right here knows whats up. For putting meat in the freezer this is all you need. Bonus points if you buy a used one for next to nothing.
>>
>>32540566
Get a Savage, Howa, Tikka, Winchester, or Ruger in .308, 7mm-08, or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Set a good 3-9 scope on it.

Kill deer.
>>
>>32542144
Yes. Used is good too. I forgot to mention that the older versions of the models I listed are just as good. (Remington 770, 710, Savage Edge) If you see one in a gunshop or find one on arms list, go for it.
>>
>>32542114
.30-06 is pointless. .308 or one of its necked down descendents.
>>
>>32542215
Its so common that if you find two rifles, one chambered in 308, and one in 30-06, you should go with the 30-06 if its cheaper. Plus it can handle heavier bullets, but that doest really matter if you're just hunting deer.
>>
Try starting off with a Hi-point just to get comfortable with guns. That's the best gun to have.
>>
>>32540566
Smaller stuff within 300 yards a .308
I got a ruger american and love it. Fantastic cheap rifle.
Savage has some good affordable rifles in .308 as well. Good for deer and any smaller game.

Larger game or hunting goats on mountains and longer shots get a 300 win mag. By larger game I mean Elk, Moose, Bear, etc. Don't personally own one cause nothing gets that big in the South, so I can't give a particular brand name on em.

Also, but a nice little range finder if you're hunting in open fields with no real markers for distance. I've always been shit at estimating it.
>>
>>32540566
>>32542265
Also, go practice when you can. Put at least like 500 rounds through whatever you get and get used to the rifle/shooting in general. At least a little bit.
>>
>>32542206
>disposable rifles
disgusting
>>
>>32542285
Do you need a rifle that can shoot 10,000 rounds for hunting? NO.
>>
>>32542302
I want my grandkids to have their grandaddy's rifle at some point.
>>
File: Wiscompton state konstitution.png (2MB, 1746x758px) Image search: [Google]
Wiscompton state konstitution.png
2MB, 1746x758px
http://amagicalplace.wikia.com/wiki/Gun_Safety_Rules Read this until you can recite it from memory. That, above all else, will enable you to not look like a fucktard.

That being said, where in Wisconsin are you moving to, OP?

I might be able to give you some pointers.

You really, really want to make friends with a hunter somewhere. He can help you with the lay of the land.

Bear in mind also that you're going to need warm clothes, good boots, and at very minimum a blaze orange vest.

You'll need to be able to gut and butcher the deer yourself or, failing that, know of somewhere to take it that will do that for you. You should really really at least gut the thing on the spot, though, it makes it way easier to haul and if you gutshot it the gastric nastyness won't ruin the meat.

As far as rifles go, my vote goes for Tikka.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.