[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, quick question. What handgun would you recommend in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: Handguns.jpg (235KB, 540x364px) Image search: [Google]
Handguns.jpg
235KB, 540x364px
Hey /k/, quick question. What handgun would you recommend in the ~500 USD range for every day carry for self defense and why. I am looking to get into guns for the first time and this will be my first handgun. Thanks in advance /k/ommandos.
>>
>>32536408
I have a number of firearms in the $1000 range but I just picked up a IWI Jericho steel frame 3.8 inch barrel $575 and I gotta say I'm fucking impressed.

I've owned a CZ 75 (which the Jericho is based off of) but this seems to be a big improvement in quality. Shoots great.

I also have a Glock 19 which is around that price and it's a really reliable gun. It's just boring as fuck but hey it's your call and you should pick something that works and that you enjoy.
>>
>>32536555
Trips of truth, thanks anon for the input
>>
>>32536661
Here is a link to the Jericho 941 for more info:
https://www.iwi.us/Jericho/Jericho-FS-Mid-Size-Steel.aspx

Other options you will probably hear on /k/ are Smith and Wesson M&P series, Sig P2022, Sig P320, Glock 26, 19, and 17, CZ 75, Beretta 92/M9 just off the top of my head.

Used firearms are not a bad option to if you can find one in good condition. I'm a pretty big Sig fag but if you can find a P226 or P229 I'd consider it.
>>
>>32536408
>glock 19, M&P, fns, one of the walther offerings
why? light, high cap, decent triggers, easy to find holsters, conceal well, in your price range
>>
>>32536408
I was also going to ask this question, i'm in the 500-800$ range. I'm not a fan of glocks, I'm leaning toward a sig. I like the decocker idea.

help me out /k/
>>
bersa bp9
>>
>>32536408
For a carry/range gun, in your price range I suggest an M&P 9c. They fit my hand well and accept the full size mags for times when 12 rounds is not enough. You can spend the rest of your budget on a decent holster and a few extra magazines.

The Glock 26 is fine too, but I am not wild about the grip. The 19 is a good gun but, even though fanboys will argue this, it can be tricky to conceal. The 19 also commands a bit of a higher price than you might expect.
>>
>>32536758
The 2022 is seriously underappreciated. Give it a look.
>>
>>32536408
Picking out what gun you want is 95% personal preference and 5% practicality, my best advise is to go to a range with some friendly staff and ask them to hold as many as you can.

But, a few things I learned from buying my first carry handgun:
- Depending on your climate, you may want to make sure you get a polymer/stainless handgun over full steel. In my state we have a high humidity and it is hot rather often, meaning you get sweat on your gun. So full steel will get rust on it from daily use.

- Pick a striker fired handgun over a hammer fired. It's a minor pet peeve for me, but the pulled hammer has a tendency to get caught on things. Not a huge deal, but bothersome.

- Size of the firearm isn't as important as people make it out to be, just pick the gun you're comfortable with. I carry a full size 1911, and I'm 5'6'' and 137lbs. It's not hard to conceal, and it's not that much of a problem. But I'm comfortable shooting it and I like the extra weight on the range, pick what you know.

- And lastly, make sure you consider the price and availability of ammunition when buying your handgun. I shoot my .45acp STI Lawman 4.0 about 5x more than I shoot my 9mm HK VP9, because where I live EVERYONE shoots 9mm so it's never fucking in stock. If you can't get ammo to practice with your carry weapon, you shouldn't use it for carry.
>>
Mind the size for your first gun. Not too small not too big. Kahr cw9 is a great choice.
>>
File: 1477515432291.jpg (54KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
1477515432291.jpg
54KB, 212x212px
You dumb? Clearly the Glock 17 if you're a pussy, or the Glock 40 if you're a man.
>>
>>32536902
0/10 shitposting desu
>>
Thanks for all the great input guys! Does ammo price/availability vary greatly by location within the US? I'm in PA, if any other PA fags can chime in.
>>
>>32536921
if you arent buying ammo online in bulk youre fucking up
>>
>>32536941
makes sense, hey, I've pretty new to this, so I'll never fuck up now!
>>
>>32536921
If you're going to buy in store, just check the counter at your local walmart a few times when you go there. If something is constantly out of stock you can rule it out.
>>
>>32536810
I second this.
>>
File: 20141011_213941.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20141011_213941.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>32536759
It's garbage. Sold mine real quick.
>>
File: 5854889_01_walther_pps_m2_640.jpg (33KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
5854889_01_walther_pps_m2_640.jpg
33KB, 640x427px
Walther PPS M2
>>
File: 4437699_01_fns_9c_with_ammo_640.jpg (60KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
4437699_01_fns_9c_with_ammo_640.jpg
60KB, 640x640px
FNS-9C
>>
>>32536759
>>32536836

Garbage.
>>
>>32538229
Bersa yes, kahr no. I love my kahr things a champ and probably my fave pistol.
>>
>>32536408
Glock 19, or 23 depending on your frame
OR
M&P Shield conceal with laser sight
I shoot my 19 the best, I am admittedly a Glock fan but as far as conceal goes, you have options. Glock will not fail you though, My 19 is my edc but i have shot the shield recently and liked it. I just shoot my 19 more and am more confident and accurate with it. id say go 19 get talon grip and night sight and be done with it. If you want a pretty glock get a factory Cerakote coated one.
>>
>>32537882
I recently got one of these. It deserves way more praise than it receives. I don't really think you can beat it for the price. I love the fact that they give you the 3 different sized mags, the big 17 for nightstand duty and the flush 12/pinky 12 for CC. Sweet shooter, too. I really like mine.

Pretty good trigger, too. But this leads to the only real con with it: if you didn't like the trigger - there's a small/nonexistent aftermarket for these. I think it will improve, but currently you are stuck.
>>
>>32536408
Glock 19.

Not because glock fanboyism, but because it's reasonably reliable, if it fucks up Glock _will_ fix it, and there is a massive aftermarket for accessories and every holster manufacturer makes holsters for glocks, you'll find one that works well for you.

It's objectively a smart choice of first gun.
>>
>>32536408
Save a little and buy a PPQ/P99
>>
File: Ruger_SR9_Pistol_009.jpg (634KB, 2400x1798px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger_SR9_Pistol_009.jpg
634KB, 2400x1798px
Is a ruger SR9 any good?
>>
Not OP but I want to hijack the thread

I shot a gun (glock 19) for the first time last week and loved it. I am a manlet with slender/thin build, small hands, so the complaints people have about not being able to wrap fingers around smaller guns shouldn't be an issue for me

if I wanted to have just one gun, that is best for both cc and home defense, what is ideal?
Here is what I've been looking at so far

>glock 26
>glock 43 (9mm)
>glock 42(380acp)
>jericho 941 compact 9mm
>bersa 380 thunder

is the design that certain guns like glock and s&w have without a safety better or worse?

what are some other models that meet the criteria i am looking for, please?
>>
>>32538567
Same here, I got the version with nightsights and without the safety. It's a Glock killer, it's everything gen 4 should have been, but Glock failed to deliver.
>>
>>32538707
How so?
And Why not just stick to gen 3....
desu I find no issue with my Gen 4. I have shot better guns but Still they are great. My edc
Not trolling I just want to know how are they everything and more?
>>
>>32536408

Glock 43

Bitch basic, easy to carry
>>
File: Ilikemyautismshakennotsturred.jpg (93KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ilikemyautismshakennotsturred.jpg
93KB, 1080x1080px
>>32538702
Safe is up to you man. The gun isnt going to go off unless the trigger is pulled. Ideally it will save you a few fractions of a second in a self defense scenario as you will not have to disengage the safety, then shoot, all you have to do is Just pull the trigger
Id recommend the 26 or a 19. Maybe a 23. M&p Shield is another option. They come with sights built into them.
I just carry a G19. Only mods I have are rubber Talon Grips and night sights. I'm deadly accurate with it too, they are easy guns to manage and shoot. Not very pretty though unless you get a factory painted one. Here is my new one i got for Christmas. Was a gift from my Dad.
>>
M&P Shield + Apex trigger = ~500 bucks

Damn good little gun

For double stack I'd recommend a Sig P320 compact or G19
>>
File: Glock_23_Pistol_26246_i0.jpg (9KB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
Glock_23_Pistol_26246_i0.jpg
9KB, 320x238px
>>32536408
Glawk Brand Glawk 23. Police trade ins are way up so you can get one that's still barely at the beginning of its service life for 350 instead of the 500+ glocks usually go for new. With the extra $150 you can pick up extra magazines for cheap and fill them with quality defensive ammo (Critical Duty/Defense, Gold Dot, HydraShok, Ranger, etc.) An additional benefit of buying a LE trade in pistol is that it is likely to have one or two very desirable characteristics, namely it's likely to already be fitted with high quality steel sights (often already fitted with (admittedly aging) tritium, and it's likely to be a Gen 3 pistol which are believed by some to exhibit superior quality and are universally more friendly to customization than Gen 4 guns (should you decide to use it recreationally if you decide to switch carry systems sometime down the road.)

With the mass exodus from the .40 S&W going on right now there are a lot of opportunities to take advantage of a depressed perception of value relative to actual functional value.

Personally I prefer a 9, and historically the .,40 has been more expensive but at the moment the .40 is substantially more budget friendly so far as guns go because "muh FBI" memes.
>>
>>32536555
>I've owned a CZ 75 (which the Jericho is based off of) but this seems to be a big improvement in quality.

>but this seems to be a big improvement in quality.

>big improvement in quality.

Not too sure if you will keep saying that after the finish flakes off.
>>
>>32536408
If you're serious, then hop on this deal. CZ 75 compact for $489 + $0 shipping. Great gun for conceal, but also a lot of fun to shoot at the range. I say "hop on this deal" because CZ pistols sell so fast that they can very, very often be out of stock online.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-4809-cz-75-compact-9mm-black-polycoat-141-91190.aspx
>>
>>32539027
Like the CZ finish it fucking stellar?
>>
>>32536758
DA/SA takes an immense amount of practice to master. It has a high skill ceiling but you're likely to wear out your first DA/SA gun and pay multiple times over its price tag in ammo costs to make it a more valid choice than striker fired pistols.

If you're willing to commit to that level of training and cost inherent to it go ahead and pull the trigger.

Personally, I choose to stick with striker fired simplicity because I believe that it takes less time and benefits my overall shooting skill more to become proficient with a less refined trigger pull than to learn DA/SA. There are many valid reasons to choose DA/SA over striker, though.

>>32538664
SR9 is fine. Less refined and robust than other non-brand name glocks but I've shot it and found the trigger and factory sights superior to OEM glock offerings. It will never have the aftermarket Glocks do, though.

>>32538702
Of the ones you listed, the jerecho is the best option, but desu there are many superior options being offered on the market today.

Some good characteristics for a handgun to have if it's going to play dual carry/HD duty are:
Lightweight (less than 2 lbs)
Has an accessory rail (white light is important for HD)
Plastic/Stainless/Aluminium/(other non-steel options) frame to reduce weight and corrosion
High quality aftermarket offerings for holsters and sights
Proven track record of police, military, or civilian CC use
You enjoy shooting it

Some offerings you may want to look at which satisfy all of those qualifications are the XD-m, Walther PPQ, Glock 19/23, Walther PPS, Styer M9 series, and S&W Shield.There are many more options out there which are equally valid but those are the most suited in my mind.

Having a redundant external manually actuated safety is commonly (and correctly) thought to be a bad and potentially life threatening feature for a gun you'll need to use under stress which vastly increases the odds that something little like sweeping off a manual safety gets forgotten.
>>
File: Steyr M9-A1.png (124KB, 727x927px) Image search: [Google]
Steyr M9-A1.png
124KB, 727x927px
>>32536408
>>
>>32539074
Not as good as Sig's, but it's pretty decent. Having to worry about finishes is apart of why I really like stainless guns.
>>
>>32539202
>DA/SA takes an immense amount of practice to master.

First auto-loading pistol I had was a DA/SA. The "it takes way more practice" thing is a meme. More? Yes. Much more? No. It's probably a lot easier to learn DA/SA first then go to SAO, DAO, or striker fired than it is to do it the other way around.
>>
>>32538664
Have a 9E and SR9C. My SR9C has a fairly stiff mag release, but other than that they work great. I think the triggers are quite good for ~$300 guns. A little stiff but short travel with a crisp break. Definitely worth a try.
>>
>>32539245
I disagree, perhaps it's a vast difference in ability but my range buddy and I have both agreed on this fact based on our shared experience over the last 4 years. We always go to the range together, shoot the same drills, shoot similar round counts monthly, and have taken an intensive 5 day pistol class together. He's had a great number more years of practice under his belt but can't put multiple accurate hits on target with his 226 as fast as I can with my glawk 19. He can shoot just as (sometimes more) precisely as me given unlimited time but for a given accuracy and precision standard from the holster and in terms of split times on <4 rounds I have a decided advantage with a striker over his DA/SA.

Admittedly to all of you it's just some anecdote on the internet but to me it's a well founded and relatively uniform case study which proves my thinking. Take it for what you will.
>>
File: IMG_1370.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1370.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32536408
CZ-75D PCR
>>
>>32536408
What's /k/s opinion on the Sig Sauer p226 and p229
I'm not a gun expert but just off looks it's my dream gun, especially if I can get a custom silencer for it.
I bought an airsoft x-five sig p226 like 2 years ago, was really immature and didnt really value it, I dropped it a lot and had to warranty it like twice for new copies due to me trying to take it apart and losing a piece or not knowing how 2 put together.
but ye anyway is it a good gun or is it just look cool and not some god tier /k/ approved shit
>>
>>32539884
I want one so these so badly but they are sold out fucking everywhere. Guy at a local shop that is a CZ master dealer told me that they aren't bothering to get any new CZ inventory in preparation for the P-10 becasue the demand for them is so high they want to make sure they have space to order as many as possible.

I've found exactly ONE after visiting half a dozen local shops and checking everywhere online and they want 650 for the damn thing, which is 100 more than anyone else.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.