[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many guns do you need? Now before you get all triggered,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

File: 1480210461553.jpg (23KB, 351x329px) Image search: [Google]
1480210461553.jpg
23KB, 351x329px
How many guns do you need?

Now before you get all triggered, i know its a matter of want not ''''need''''.

What i mean is how many guns do you need to fulfill every practical purpose imaginable? Practical as in no zombie/ wannabe army fantasy.

Far as i can think of, 6.
Big game: Rifle in widely accepted caliber like 308, 30-06.
Medium game/ plinker: AR (customizable sure so it could fill various rolls i suppose)
Very small game/ plinker/ early starter gun: something in .22.
Birds/ home defense: 12ga.
Carry pistol: whatever is concealable, comfortable, and in 9mm.
Home defense pistol: whatever caliber, youll argue over it.

Am i missing anything or is that all youll ever really need to fulfill every purpose and everything else is leisure?
>>
Shotgun
>>
File: IMG9507581.png (693KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG9507581.png
693KB, 719x1280px
>need
There's that word again!!!

I usually believe there's 4 fundamental categories of basic gun ownership.
>handgun/revolver
>shotgun
>intermediate caliber semi-auto rifle
>full-power rifle caliber rifle

I would argue that 3 would cover the basics (subtracting the intermediate caliber rifle.)

Seems to cover most avenues of purpose and usability as a civilian. Now you could argue other guns are required to fill niches, but I think 3 or 4 is a start to a well rounded collection.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-06-10-16-39.png (751KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-06-10-16-39.png
751KB, 1280x720px
For me it's not very specific,
>Rifle:
Probably a max of 5, one bulpup, lever action, AR, AK, and a bolt action.
>Shotgun:
Just two, one double barrel and pump action/self-defense.
>Pistol:
Probably just 3, just one revolver and the other two can be anything.
>>
File: tumblr_o3k3arOgqJ1t64uyfo1_500.gif (1MB, 457x340px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3k3arOgqJ1t64uyfo1_500.gif
1MB, 457x340px
>>32533811
>How many guns do you need?
All of them!
>>
File: 1479769011588.jpg (77KB, 590x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479769011588.jpg
77KB, 590x600px
>full power rifle (semi or bolt)
>intermediate semi auto
>shotgun of some kind, 12 gauge
>semi auto handgun in 380 or above

I would feel perfectly comfortable with this, but I have since gone far, far past this point
>>
File: ¥Rand~02.png (341KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
¥Rand~02.png
341KB, 800x430px
>>32533811
>need
>>
A Battle Rifle in 7.62 nato.
>>
>>32533811
what is this picture from?
>>
File: All+hail+the+murder+kube+.jpg (447KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
All+hail+the+murder+kube+.jpg
447KB, 1600x1200px
AA gun for them drones,.... I'm looking at you Amazon.
Anti Tank rifle for when they want to take your AA gun.
>>
1. Full size rifle in .270. Small enough for varmits but still technically able to take a moose with good shot placement.
2. Some sort of .22 for small game and pests
3. Pump 12ga for birds and people

I believe this is the most minimal combo to fulfill all possible uses.
>>
>>32533811
-Carry Pistol
-Semi-auto rifle

Everything else is for fun, a specific hobby (like hunting/competition), or mall ninja/tier1operator fantasies.
>>
.22lr rifle or pistol of your choosing.
Intermediate caliber carbine.
Bolt action precision rifle in big boy caliber.
12ga shotgun of reliable make and action.
Defensive carry pistol.

The rest is unimportant.
>>
>>32534492

>22
>important
>>
You only really, "need" a semi-auto rifle, and handgun in a man-stopping caliber.
>>
>>32534544
Quiet, noguns.
>>
>>32534267
A Chinese cartoon.
>>
>>32534558
He is right, .22, and all rimfire for that matter is only good for children to learn with.
>>
Nugget, nugget and nugget
>>
>>32533811
>9mm
>for a carry gun
what are you a woman, you need to carry at least a 10mm for self defense got to make sure if you have to use it they stay dead
>>
>>32534576
or small game especially with a suppressor
>>
Depends on what you consider your needs to be. For me the only guns I think I need are a semi-automatic rifle and a pistol for concealed carry.

Of course I want every gun.
>>
1. Semi-auto detachable magazine rifle/carbine
2. Semi-auto pistol
3. Shotgun OR .30 cal + rifle for hunting

those are the 3 you NEED
>>
>>32533811
I'd say bare minimum

>1 carry pistol
>1 intermediate or hunting cartridge rifle with a scope (and if you get something like an AR; you can have offset or hybrid short range irons or optics in addition which would be even better)

This should pretty well cover day to day self defense as well as standard home defense and recreational shooting (pistol), and most conceivable standard crises for food acquisition and property/personal defense.

For something a little more *rounded*, I'd say

>1 carry pistol
>1 plinker/range pistol (9mm)
>1 intermediate cartridge carbine (with non-magnified optics)*
>1 hunting rifle*
*as mentioned above you could arguably combine these two
>410 or 20ga bird gun
>varmint gun (Would recommend airgun over .17/.22 etc due to no required earpro/very easy to carry extremely large numbers of pellets, and for what you'd be using it for, the extra force from conventional small ammunition isn't really that meaningful by which I mean if you shooting varmint either one is going to kill it just as dead, the small calibers have more use against larger targets vs pellets, but that's what other guns are for.)
>.45 SMG for home defense; minimize overpenetration risk, high capacity for followup shots, should be in a small package comfortable for indoors use. If you can get some kind of subsonic/suppression setup then it's also great for HD because you're not going to have to be scrambling for earpro or going deaf when you hear a bump in the night.
>>
>>32533811
>nugget
>hand nugget
>auto nugget
>lever nugget

>>
File: AA-Ulfberht-338.jpg (121KB, 958x639px) Image search: [Google]
AA-Ulfberht-338.jpg
121KB, 958x639px
>>32533811

>Practical, Need, no zombies or shit hit the fan
a 357 magnum Handgun
a 357 magnum Lever Action rifle

They kills most bears, they kills the big cat, the pistol defends against the human intruder (96% one shot stop by statistics)

The lever action hunts the deer.

If you got Wild Hogs that could be a problem but it can still do the job.

The lever action can have a speed loader made for it (a tube).

You dont really need anything more than that practically, and you're using 1 ammo type with that.

> I wanna hunt Small Game
Even with the above a 38 special, as long as you've got a scope on the gun, it will kill the small animal without splattering it.

Because its a heavy subsonic slug it only plows a 9mm size hole. Same goes true for FMJ 380s and a 9x19 subsonic.

> I wanna hunt Birds
Why? That would be about the only securely definable reason to own a Shotgun id say.

> Hunting Laws
This if anything is what demands having .22s or Shotguns.

> Civil Defense
Now here we go, if you want to make sure your Country is secure from Tyranny the people must be armed.

Regardless of the capabilities of the military, they depend on supplies from the domestic coffers and since their home towns will no longer be friendly it is a war of attrition.

(if this was spoken in the old days it would be nodded to, but even though its Still True people dont believe it anymore)

For this you need a weapon which can Penetrate Body Armor (maybe not a thick armor plate, but anything less for sure) and a vehicle engine.

For this you should probably have a .338 because then it retains enough power at 500 yards to be instantly lethal (blow your leg off kind of lethal).

It should be Semi Auto but the next best thing is a .308 semi auto. They don't make many 338 semi autos and they're all super expensive (Nemo, Noreen, DRD has one now).
>>
File: FliegerDoppelpistole1919.jpg (24KB, 500x266px) Image search: [Google]
FliegerDoppelpistole1919.jpg
24KB, 500x266px
Just 1
>>
>>32533811

Minimalistic setup:
-Semi-automatic pistol / double action revolver (everyday carry)
-Semi-automatic carbine (home defense)

Ideal personal setup:
-Pistol .45 (everyday carry)
-Revolver .357 (car, in the cabin)
-Semi-automatic carbine 5.56 (car, in the trunk)
-Revolver .357 (home defense, one in every room)
-Semi-automatic carbine 5.56 (home defense, bedroom)
-Pump action or semiautomatic shotgun 12ga (home defense, bedroom)
>>
File: full auto autism.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
full auto autism.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>32534861
>>
>>32534867
>>32534839

And to be honest actually you can take 45s and boost the firepower to 357 levels and most of the 45 handguns can take the pressure too (with a stronger spring to cycle properly). Whether thats an FNX, XD, or 1911.

And I dont think the 45 carbines have any problem with it either. A Sub-2000 in 45... whew lad.

But if im going to have a 45 then im going to want a plinker too, and for that I would combine the best of both worlds:

> .22 Target Pistol such as the S&W Victory, or Buck Mark with a scope on it.
> Only costs about another 100 beyond a 10/22.
> Its more portable and pretty much just as accurate, in terms of being able to hit a bunny before it gets scared

And I would probably get the .22 sniper subsonic from aguila, huge amount of that. Its accurate and penetrates pretty well. Its dirty but so is any 22.

If you want to be serious learn to be james bond
> james bond in the novels says he only needs a 25acp pistol.
> says he doesnt want to upgrade because it makes his pistol more unwieldy.
> james bond either wounds people in the arm/leg or he lances their brain, he's a surgeon with it
>>
>>32533811
a 12/20 gauge, a pistol in any of the common calibers, and a magnum caliber rifle will do anything you can think of.
>>
>>32534839
What if want to kill something at >150 yards?
>>
File: tumblr_o0nmx2lJ6Y1r9khx4o1_500.jpg (78KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0nmx2lJ6Y1r9khx4o1_500.jpg
78KB, 500x365px
>>32535152

why?

I dont wanna kill anything farther than 50 desu but a lever action will reach 100 or 150 easily.

But really I also explained a 338 is lovely for taking things down at 500+, practically take its eye out at that distance.

And if thats too much firepower for you, if you can afford a 338 then you can afford to handload too, and you can Cold Load it to your heart's content.

>mfw I STILL wish somebody would pick up making a 300blk version of .308 cartridge.

> The .308 case if properly expanded could accomodate a .40cal bullet, and that slug could be a reversed 408 cheytac to be quite honest, or otherwise mighty long and hardcast flatnose with 350 grains behind it.

> Basically like a 458 socom except without losing magazine capacity. And all it would need probably is a barrel change for any .308 rifle like a PTR or FAL. Pic related could be a better pig stomper, and everything inbetween.
>>
>>32535240
>why?
Because not all animals are white tail that allow you that close. A.338 lapua would work.
>>
3 for self defense.

Carbine/SBR for home defense
Full size carry pistol like M9 or Jericho, USP
Pocket handgun like a mak or detective special

Currently only have a full size pistol tho
>>
>>32534869
I need these. Where do I get them?
>>
>>32533811
Need?
All!
>>
>>32535267
>wildcatting .338 Lapua
WOO WEE $10/round
>>
>>32533811
I'm pretty close to as many as I 'need' - or in this case, want. my number was in the 40s, and my collection for what I like, is largely complete. I may still build a 6.5 grendel, and maybe a space rifle in 6.5 creedmore some day- but I'm pretty content with my collection. I shook out something like this:

1911s - 9mm, 10mm, 45acp - in various frame sizes. 6 total.
full-size 9mm / 40sw handguns steel and polymer, striker and hammer fired. 4 total.
compact carry guns. whatever flavor of the month I like. 2 total.
revolvers, 38,357,44mag various sizes, some SA some SA/DA. 6 total.
ARs (10 and 15) various cals 556, 300blk, 7.62x51, various sizes from pistol to target, some for competition and hunting, etc. 12 total.
AKs 7.62x39. 1 total. not my favorite platform, but glad to have 1.
shotguns. these are hunting tools for me. 12 and 20 ga. pump, bolt, and semi. 6 total.
22lr pistols and rifles. 3 total.
Misc. bolt guns. long and short throw actions. generally hunting. 3 total.
black powder hunting rifle.

wow. never totaled it up. 44 is my magic number, probably cap around 45-50. now when I go shoot, i'm not really envious of anyone's gear - and I can participate in most any gun game I find fun or have access to.
>>
If you're only interested in hunting and HD instead of operator fantasies, you could get by with a shotgun, which I did, but guns are like chips, you can't have just one.
>>
>>32534248
Are you a fuckin stupid
>>
>>32534869

nice cheekweld
>>
>>32533811

american need:

semi-automatic 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 rifle
compact or full-size doublestack 9mm/.40/45
12 gauge shotgun

these are the only big three for providing dinner on table and keeping jamal out of my fucking yard

optional but also good to have would be a snubnose revolver with the same caliber as your primary handgun and a .22LR semi-auto firearm of your choosing
>>
>>32535894
Except for the niche of hunting birds, the first two are more than enough. And for birds, you should go with 20 or 410 as that's sufficient and ammo weight/volume : quantity ratios.

the 12ga is really obsolete in the modern civillian market. Sure there are special military applications for special 12 gauge shells and all, but there is a better mass marketed and affordable tool for every single common civilian purpose.

Not saying that nobody should buy 12 gauges or that anyone who owns one is dumb or anything like that, but it sure ass hell isn't an "essential"
>>
>>32534553
>and handgun in a man-stopping caliber.

All calibers are "manstopping" past .380. The only thing that matters is what you personally like.
>>
>>32533811
One carbine, one long-range gun, one hunting gun, one sidearm.
>>
File: throwing knives.png (15KB, 724x187px) Image search: [Google]
throwing knives.png
15KB, 724x187px
>>32536247
literally jank someone with a screwdriver
>>
>>32533811
At least one more.
>>
>>32533811
Actual need?
Shotgun, end of story.

"Need"?
I agree with OP's list.
>>
>>32534267
Not recognizing your godess?

>not googling
>not saucenao
>not iqbd
For shame! You should wallow in guilt at your ignorance.

For the plebeians:
https://www.google.com/search?q=haruhi+suzumiya&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>Hunting
.375 h&h or equivalent. You can hunt anything anywhere with one outside of dick countries that require big bore calibers for dangerous game. Bonus: Shoots flat enough to double as a sniper.

>Defense
Concealable handgun. Caliber doesn't really matter all that much but if a bear is barrelling down my ass with a hard dick I'd want something stronger than 9mm.

>Revolution
Assault rifle or closest equivalent, preferably patterned after your country's standard issue rifle chambered identically.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.