[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say I live about 30-40 miles from a large city that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: f93esenfewew.jpg (283KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
f93esenfewew.jpg
283KB, 1920x1080px
Let's say I live about 30-40 miles from a large city that's would be a likely target of a nuclear strike.

Is that enough distance to get away safely? Would I be completely fucked even if the blast didn't get me?
>>
>>32530674
Depends on the size of the bomb and the amount of advance warning you have.
>>
>>32530674
Nope, dead. Might as well get it over with now so the blast doesn't get you.
>>
You're fine. The only even small risk would be fallout. IF you are under the plume, drive out from under it before it hits. If you can't even be that marginally smart, turn off your AC, duct tape your window cracks, and wait.

Granted, that's for any reasonable-sized bomb.

If you want to talk the multi-stage, multi-megaton, 'ring the planet like a bell' monsters, well, all bets are off.

Luckily, nobody is gonna use one of THOSE in this enlightened age.

Aren't you glad you missed the Cold War?

Here:

http://www.nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Enjoy!
>>
>>32530674
Don't look at the flash, it will blind ya.Even temporarily if its a small <500 kt nuke, worse if it's a city buster megaton sized weapon.
"Duck and Cover" for the possible breaking glass if it's a big >MT sized weapon.
Pop your Potassium Iodide pill, and run for the hills from the fallout zone if possible or shelter in a fallout shelter if you have one or nearby. You got about 30 mins to an hour for the dust to come down.

Enough time to whack your desperate neighbors storming your house since they might know about your prepping and want your supplies.
>>
>>32530715
came here to post this link
>>
>>32530674
Which city is it? You might be surprised what's a strategic target and what isn't.

The general rule of thumb is that anything that doesn't either launch nukes or pass along launch orders isn't a priority target. Global Thermonuclear War is all about running the other guy out of usable warheads first, these days; whoever gets into a position where they can't launch any more nukes "loses", and is forced to accept terms not in their favor, or gets to watch the other side start a counter-value campaign.
>>
File: 1448723767983.jpg (16KB, 228x227px) Image search: [Google]
1448723767983.jpg
16KB, 228x227px
>live in a suburban home literally 2km from an army barracks/training ground

On the one hand, being in Australia means it's not much of a nuke target.

On the other hand, I don't think I can get building code approval for a bomb shelter.
>>
File: Oppens nuke map.jpg (486KB, 1456x904px) Image search: [Google]
Oppens nuke map.jpg
486KB, 1456x904px
>>32530674

Unless its a really large city or a military target, it is unlikely to be hit at all (especially if you dont live in a nation with its own nuclear weapons)

Remember that Russia and the US only has something like 1500 warheads each, and a decent number of them is tactical and is therefore unlikely to ever be used against a city (again unless its a major military target)

A nuclear war today would look very different to a nuclear war in the 80s when the USSR and US had something like 40 000 warheads in total...
>>
>>32532911
Dont you have public shelters?

Where I live the govt provides public shelters for the whole nations population.
>>
File: meaning-of-vault-boy-thumbs-up.jpg (35KB, 728x498px) Image search: [Google]
meaning-of-vault-boy-thumbs-up.jpg
35KB, 728x498px
>>32530674
Ever heard of the thumb rule?

If the nuclear mushroom is smaller than your thumb in full arm length, you're safe.
>>
>>32532965
Not that I'm aware of, the threat of bombing isn't something that's been ingrained into the Australian psyche like it has in America and much of Europe.
>>
File: 1482309835169.jpg (158KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482309835169.jpg
158KB, 1200x800px
>>32530674
>the day finally comes
>thousands of missiles coming in, the country has little warning
>you wake up, realize you live 100 miles from the blast zone
>you are ready
>go into specially sealed hardened bunker with years of foods and ammo
>start putting on stalker jumpsuit along with specialty goggles so you can look at the flash safely
>popcorn.jpg
>the missile hits downtown, vaporizing it as you stare in awe
>a 9mm round thrown from a Walmart closers to the blast killing you instantly
>>
>>32532986
Hmm, I guess that makes sense. Wasnt you bombed by the japanese sometime int 1940(?) tho?

One incident however might not be reson enough to build public shelters. After all Australia has never been a major conflict hotzone.
>>
>>32532909
not op

but thank fuck, I live in ann arbor
even if they nuked detroit I would be fine
>>
File: Screenshot_20170104-041136.jpg (637KB, 1076x1749px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170104-041136.jpg
637KB, 1076x1749px
>>32533018
also neat captcha
>>
>>32533018
No need to nuke Detroit, that place is alredy a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
>>
>>32532959
how is it possible to know exactly how many nukes a nation has?
>>
>>32533006
Just Darwin, which is in the northern part of buttfuck nowhere compared to the rest of the major cities.

Most of our population is spread too thin to warrant public bomb shelters being made, it's a waste of resources and taxpayer dollars.
>>
>>32533054
Nuclear treaties m8.

Sure, states might hide nukes, but they have agreed to have a certain number.
>>
>>32532995
How would it penetrate the bunker?
>>
>>32533086
It was a FMJ
>>
>>32532959

>Remember that Russia and the US only has something like 1500 warheads each, and a decent number of them is tactical

These treaty-mandated numbers ONLY represent deployed strategic warheads and exclude any tactical/nondeployed strategic warheads. Total number of warheads are closer to 7k for both sides.
>>
File: WatsDis.jpg (14KB, 166x186px) Image search: [Google]
WatsDis.jpg
14KB, 166x186px
>>32532959
Nice map. It makes me think this is more surivivable than the 'middle of the cold war-10000x nuke exchange' maps.

Still, what's that one little spot in Ohio? Is that the Battelle facility or something else?
>>
>>32533666
NVMND, it's Wright Patterson AFB.
>>
>>32530674
as a kid I used to play in old salt mines that were dug some 100m into the mountain. lots of dead critters in there too. would ahve been nice to build a shelter in there....
>>
>>32532959
Anyone have a higher resolution of this?
>>
>>32530715
>You're fine. The only even small risk would be fallout. IF you are under the plume, drive out from under it before it hits. If you can't even be that marginally smart, turn off your AC, duct tape your window cracks, and wait.

That's retarded. Gamma radiation doesn't give a fuck about your car walls, it just goes right through. If you want to survive fallout you have to be completely surrounded by concrete or a concrete like substitute (eg. Stacks of paper) for 3 days. After 3 days almost all the radioactivity is gone. Rescue crews won't be sent in until after 3 days because of this. Fallout takes like 15-30 minutes to hit the ground after the explosion.

t. Spike survival episode of nukes

But OP's range is fine, you just gotta drive away from the blast and get out of the wind currents way. Hopefully your car isn't on during boom, or it'll EMP. But 30-40 miles is a long way, EMP probably doesn't even go that far
>>
>>32533080
Pppppppppfffffffftttttttt
>>
>>32533640

Are you sure? There has been treaties on tactical weapons to (atleast historically, not sure if they are still active)
>>
>>32530674
>put on MSA Advantage mask
>tape windows and doors
>fill bathtub with water
>wait for rain
>>
Assuming you live in a state with multiple strategic and tactical targets but close to a 100 miles from either what can you do to increase your chances of survival?
>>
>>32533735
get a weather station, a big boat and geiger counters in adition to all the other nuke holohoax preps. then wait the happenings out cruising in the pacific.
>>
>>32533689
>Unmaintained mine
>Full of dead things

Seems like you tempted joining them. Tangentially related, I'll never get the appeal of cave diving on land or submerged in tight spaces.
>>
>>32533804
>Seems like you tempted joining them. Tangentially related, I'll never get the appeal of cave diving on land or submerged in tight spaces.

Dunno. Some "fell" in there and got lost, others went in there to die... but yeah, you do a lot of stupidly dangerous shit as a kid.
>>
My gun safe is in the corner of my basement if I pull the shelves out how much protection would it provide? It's big enough to almost stand in.
>>
>>32533822
is it solid steel or sheet metal with gypsum filling? a simple drum of water/bathtub that you get into would provide some protection too.
>>
>>32530674
Hold on, let me bring up nukemap

Okay, with the minuteman III's 300kt warhead you are...fine. Most modern nukes airburst so fallout is negligible.

On the other hand, if you're being hit by a sub launched W-88 you're still in the thermal radiation region. 3rd degree burns over anything line of sight with the explosion. Again, this assumes air burst to maximize the immediate damage.
>>
>>32532959
I'm amazed that Norfolk/Hampton roads isn't a target on that map, we have the Newport News shipyard, which is the only one equipped for refueling nuclear subs and aircraft carriers currently, the Norfolk shipyard, which usually has 3+aircraft carriers as well several Heli Carriers at any given time. In addition to this there is Oceania NAS and Langley AFB, and the Yorktown NWS, It just seems like if you wanted to cripple the East coast navy, you'd hit here.
>>
>>32533830
Steel. I figured I could stack stuff around it to increase mass.
>>
File: underground-3.jpg (61KB, 430x395px) Image search: [Google]
underground-3.jpg
61KB, 430x395px
>>32533871
would provide some protection against the shrapnel obviously but the heat and gamma would still be pretty dank. A great make shift bunker would be an underdround water tank. I'ms surprised they didn't build small waterways during the cold war for people to jump in in case of a bomb with all that nuke hysteria; fountains ae the best shelter you'll find in a modern city.
>>
>>32533845
This isnt anything official, Oppen might just have forgotten that one.
>>
>>32532959
Why the hell is Biloxi a target?
>>
>>32533957
Keesler AFB perhaps? I really have no clue...
>>
>>32533706
True about the concrete, not true about radiation being gone after a few days. The fallout (if it settles around you) will be comprised of the bomb's plutonium and other activated metals, which will remain radioactive for hundreds to thousands of year's (think Chernobyl). It will contaminate the ground, water and wildlife that happens to survive.
Have a Radiometer/Geiger and see if it's safe to GTFO. Because staying in the waste will not be safe in your lifetime.
>>
>>32534028
This.

Or just gtfo to be on the safe side. Another good thing to do is to check what direction the winds are heading.
>>
>>32532959
I'm surprised San Antonio isn't on the list
>>
>>32530674
Depends how many warheads and how far they are spread out, you also want to head against the wind away from the explosions

Radioactive fallout is your number one concern if you manage to survive the blasts
>>
>>32533018
Oh shit son, I got family up in Ann Arbor
>>
>>32532959
Houston should be one of those targets.
Big ass city+shipping port= prime target
>>
>>32532959
Is has 4500 weapons and 1900 delivery vehicles.
>>
>>32533086
Whatever he's looking out with his need for goggles
>>
>>32535083
Russia has 1700 weapons and 4 delivery vehicles that work. One is a donkey with a drinking problem though...
>>
>>32533845
To be fair, refueling nuclear subs and carriers isn't something you need to do a whole lot. Maybe once every decade or so.

>>32533916
Water wouldn't do much against gamma but it would do a fuckton of good against alpha, beta, and neutrons.

Hell, most of the danger of nuclear fallout is radioactive dust so sprayers would do wonders for decontamination. Just high pressure soap and water to wash off the dust.

But really, most people don't seem to care to look up how to deal with radioactivity, they just fear it.
>>
>>32534055
Remember that radiation still plays far with the inverse square law (1/x^2) Just being ten feet away from a chunk of active uranium is a hundred times better than being a foot away. Running away is actually a good idea.
>>
>>32533722

Pretty much every nuclear treaty ever has made exceptions for gravity bombs and tactical weapons. The major limitations were always on strategic missile-based warheads.
>>
>>32533054
NewSTART Data Exchanges.

>>32533706
Unless you are in very close proximity to a nuclear explosion (but still outside the lethal blast effects) during a rain storm, Gamma is not your main worry from fallout. Ingesting Alpha and Beta emitters is far more dangerous.

>>32533701
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?t=1bcac8b56072b4d24dbc494bd95686a4

>>32533751
>weather station,
Wont help with fallout, winds aloft is the key. Better to get something that downloads that data every few hours.

>>32533845
It was a tough call.
The criteria for the map is that the target had to have a higher than 50% chance of being picked. It might have been higher, but I cant recall for sure.
The issue with Norfolk was that there were just a few probably targets, and the lack of other targets in the MIRV footprint meant that some of the warhead would go to waste.
So it was decided that there were targets in the DC area that could have the same effect as hitting the targets in Norfolk, so in the end, Norfolk dropped from the target list, but just barely.

There are several errors.
MacDill AFB would be a target, while there are targets in CA around Sacramento that are no longer valid.

>>32533822
You are better off sealing your basement and stocking it with food, water, and medical supplies.
And a toilet.

>>32533957
There is some command and control infrastructure associated with SACCS that may still be in place there. If so, it is an important target.

>>32534055
>direction the winds are heading.
Winds Aloft.

>>32534993
No nuclear weapons or command and control for nuclear weapons.

>>32533640
>exclude any tactical/nondeployed strategic warheads.
True, but those are unlikely to play a major role in a general nuclear exchange between Russia and the US.
>>
>>32535275
Could nuclear weapons ever have a use in geoengineering, teraforming or mining?
>>
>>32535623
That's going to be one hell of a cleanup bill.
>>
>>32532959
as person who live in Winnipeg, what is my best opinion for post-nuclear war?
>>
>>32535886
Be somewhere else.

Baring that, shelter in place, interior room, be ready to stay for a few days.
>>
>>32534966
hell yeah
>>
>>32530674
most warheads used these days have a blast radius of about 15 miles, beyond that its a big rattling boom and it might blow some shingles off your roof.

The real problem is the EMP which will kill your car. So when you jump in your car to escape the Fallout mushroom cloud thats not gonna work.

> If you have a Bike you just may... may be able to escape it, if you observe which way its blowing quickly enough. It all really depends on which way the wind blows, are you typically downwind of your city?

But a nuke going off in a major city means SHTF across the board sooo... This is a SHTF question regarding prepping.

You may escape the blast only to be killed by groups of desperate nig-nogs, or shot down out in the open by other bastards wanting to take your shit.
>>
File: oh you devil.png (30KB, 187x205px) Image search: [Google]
oh you devil.png
30KB, 187x205px
>>32533666

> its a UAC facility, mister satan
>>
>>32536779
>most warheads used these days have a blast radius of about 15 miles
Ask me how I know you have no idea what you are talking about?
>>
>>32536807
majority of warheads launched by icbm will be either 50 kiloton or 500 kiloton. Some go as high as 1-3 megatons though they are rare.

blast footprint for 500kt is roughly 12 miles, I increased it to 15 just because its still going to be damaging beyond the 1psi range.

also I know my shit well enough to say that the Gamma radiation isnt going to amount to squat... if you're close enough to the bomb to suffer any reasonable illness due to Gamma then you're in the 5psi range and a bank vault would be hard pressed to save you.

(while the AIR is low density it still absorbs both Xrays and Gamma rays - the Xray absorption is where the fireball comes from anyway - so the radiation intensity really bleeds off fast)

(truly, a multi-megaton device only has about twice the reach in terms of radiation as a first generation nuke)
>>
>>32536904
>what are mirv warheads
Fucking each warhead that spreads from the main one would have 30 miles of damage from the blast.
>>
>>32532959
>that one nuke in the middle of nowhere MI
>not selfredge, detroit, grayling or even alpena ANG base
>>
>>32535163
>Water wouldn't do much against gamma but it would do a fuckton of good against alpha, beta, and neutrons.

You're severall feet under ground in those tanks. If you are far away from a nuke to not be reckt by the blast wave but close enough that the heat and gamma radiation would kill you through burns etc., taking a dive in any body of water is your best bet.

>Just high pressure soap and water to wash off the dust.

Yeah but wash it where? it's all coming down sooner or later and ten it's in the ground and ground water.
>>
>>32536904
>50 kiloton or 500 kiloton.
The Majority of Russian land based missiles are 550 kt to 800 kt.
SLBMs are 100 kt, to 150 kt with a small handful of single megaton weapons still technically in service on Delta IIIs that never patrol anymore.

>blast footprint for 500kt is roughly 12 miles
1.5 psi for 500 kt is about 8 miles in radius (16 in diameter).
Thats where you can get windows breaking.
Thats not its "blast footprint". Its radius where you stand an even chance of being seriously injured is about 3 psi, which is about 5 mile radius (10 mile diameter).

>I increased it to 15 just because its still going to be damaging beyond the 1psi range.
To what?
Injuries at that range are about 10% with 3-4% being serious.
>>32536928
FEMA Region V FRC.

None of the other targets listed have nuclear weapons or control nuclear weapons.

>>32537179
>ground and ground water.
It decays fairly rapidly.
>>
>>32535275
Thanks for the link sir.
>>
Sorry dude but no. Doesn't the tsar bomba have like a 100 mile blast radius
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.