[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can weapons be "scaled up" That is, could you theoretically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault (34).jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (34).jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Can weapons be "scaled up"

That is, could you theoretically upscale and build an mg42 for .50 caliber rounds? Presuming cost were no issue and you had access to modern alloys and materials.
>>
Point of note apparently weapons can definitely be scaled down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqCPNM1I-ao
>>
>>32524007
Not everything would be COMPLETELY 1:1 scaling because of physics, but you could theoretically make an mg42 in 50 cal
>>
>>32524007
its feasible if you redesined it from the ground up but why would you want to
>>
>>32524007
If you're asking if you could build a roller locked recoil operated .50, you absolutely could.

But for some reason, when I read this, I gathered that you meant "Just make every piece 67% bigger with no other changes" in which case, no. There's more to it than that.

If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (504KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
504KB, 4096x2304px
Of course you can. 50 cal. miniguns are just essentially scaled up gatling guns for example.
>>
>>32524057
Yes, I didn't mean a literal scaling up of everything. More along the lines of redesigning a weapon to use a similar system of roller lock and replaceable barrel for a larger caliber.
>>
>>32524023
Be interesting to have a weapon with the 2000 RPM of an MG42, but the penetration power of a BMG.
>>
File: 1356517.jpg (40KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
1356517.jpg
40KB, 640x448px
Kind of. You would have to overbuild it in most places and it would need a mean recoil spring, but it could be done. Compare for example, an AKM to a 6P62 .50 rifle. They're the exact same action, but they look far different because of the necessary reinforcing in order to handle the larger round. So while a .50 MG42 is perfectly possible, it likely wouldn't externally resemble an MG42 very much.
>>
>>32524007
Most definitely possible, requires some re-engineering to make it suitable for coping higher caliber weapons and might end up being more maintenance intensive.

I think CETME made a scaled down version of the mg 3 in 5.56 which never took off due to shitty quality control; the initial run did pretty well according to some stuff I read on the internet.
>>
>>32524166
The Ameli did okay, it had a few buyers
>>
>>32524073
Kek
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.