[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make an obrez. What legal things should I cover

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4990.png (579KB, 1783x515px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4990.png
579KB, 1783x515px
I want to make an obrez. What legal things should I cover before doing it?
>>
>>32508539
just set up your nfa paperwork and wait.
That's about the only thing you can do.
>>
>>32508567
I though that because of the Thompson center V ATF case it's ok to convert a rifle into a pistol as long as you can't shoulder the weapon, or if you can't convert to SBR?
>>
>>32508567
>>32508585
As in Op's picture the gun is officially a Pistol and is no longer a rifle, Like if you take a AR rifle receiver throw a pistol upper on and a pistol brace / pistol tube it's legal
>>
>>32508539
>File ATF form 1 + $200 tax
>Wait about 6 months for the tax stamp to come back before breaking out the hacksaw
>Don't take it out of state without notifying the ATF in advance
>>
>>32508585
>>32508599
I'm pretty sure rifle receivers cannot ever become pistols.

A pistol can turn into a rifle, and then back into a pistol. But if it starts as a rifle, it's always a rifle.
>>
>>32508701
from wiki

>The court ruled in Thompson Center Arms' favor in that the carbine conversion kit did not constitute a short-barreled rifle, primarily because the kit contained both the stock and the 16 inch barrel.

>Justice Scalia also noted that there is a warning carved on the stock telling the user to not attach the stock to the receiver when the 10-inch barrel is attached to the receiver or vice versa.

I think it might be legal but I don't want to risk my dog over it
>>
>>32508539
your ears lol
>>
>>32508585
>>32508599
Rifles cannot become pistols.

Pistols can become rifles and go back to being pistols, however.

Welcome to ATF retardation land.
>>
Who makes virgin nugget receivers? lel Too bad there are not many old virgin receivers for any milsurp rifles. If there was, I would have a few "pistols".

Really, you do have the option of demilling the receiver and welding it back together to end up with a regular pistol, but it's just not worth it.
>>
>>32508780
Yeah... I'm not really surprised. Thanks for the clarification
>>
>>32508749
MechTech's entire business model is built on you buying their kits to mount on your Glock or 1911 and it being completely fine.

As long as the weapon isn't something with a stock and a sub-16" barrel, you are in the clear..
>>
>>32508754
kek'd, underrated
>>
File: TOPKEK.jpg (50KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
TOPKEK.jpg
50KB, 540x359px
>>32508754
breddy gud
>>
ive always wondered. the atf will make exeptions for specific cases to nfa.its not like anyones bank robin with a obrez.... ive been thinking of sending a letter.
>>
>>32508780
so if I have a carbine length AR rifle (factory original LE6920) I legally can't put a pistol length upper onto the lower receiver and claim it is now a pistol?
>>
what about shotguns?
if I have a shotgun with nothing but a pistol grip on the ass end (no buttstock) is there a minimum length the barrel must be? what length.?
when does it become a pistol? and how to do it legally?
is there such a thing as a pistol length shotgun that is not an NFA item or an AOW?
>>
>>32512402
Not if it has a stock.
>>
>>32512427
>is there such a thing as a pistol length shotgun that is not an NFA item or an AOW?
No.

A shotgun with a stock needs to have a barrel length of 18".

If it has a stock and the barrel is less than 18", it's a SBS.

If it has no stock and it's under 26" overall length, it's an AOW.

However, if the shotgun is manufactured with a pistol grip and the overall length of the gun is 26" or more, it's not legally considered a shotgun (but rather a weapon made from a shotgun) and it's legal.

Shotguns are never pistols.
>>
>>32513524
>A shotgun with a stock needs to have a barrel length of 18".
by stock, does that mean a full buttstock that you can shoulder?
or can it just have a pistol grip only? as long as the barrel is at least 18" is it ok?
sorry for questions. but finding this ship on the federal dog extermination website is difficult.
>>
>>32513595
If it doesn't have a stock, it's not considered a shotgun period, and that's what is confusing you.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download
>>
>>32512115
Wait and see if trump disbands Nfa in general first. Maybe we'll get lucky and be given back all of our rights.
>>
>>32508749
I miss Scalia.
>>
File: non_sbs_stubby.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
non_sbs_stubby.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
>>32513595
Here's an interesting thing, pic related isn't an SBS because it's 26" overall length and doesn't have a shoulder stock, it's just a "firearm"

The ATF is very autistic.
>>
>>32513638
that's almost exactly what I'm asking about. I found an double 18" barrel SG with a pistol grip like that.
is it legal non-NFA or wtf?
>>
>>32513736
Measure it's overall length, if the gun is 26" overall in length, and it doesn't have a stock, it's a "firearm"
>>
>>32513736
Legal non-NFA as long as the overall length is 26". Barrel length doesn't matter if it has a pistol grip.
>>
>>32513816
>>32513915
thanks for info.
>>
>>32512402
legally you cant. it has to start as a virgin nothing or a pistol. if they ran the serial of a le6920 it was say it left colt as a longgun and you get arrested for a sbr.
>>
>>32513959
OK that's what I thought. since the lower is what is supposedly the registered firearm as far as I understand it. and it left the factory serialized as a rifle.

so I can buy pistol uppers through the mail all day long but I need to have a dedicated lower receiver serialized as a pistol to be legal?
>>
>>32508539
File a form 1 to register is as an SBR and then go to town.
>>
>>32514018
Correct. If you have ONLY the pistol upper and a completed rifle in your possession, it's constructive intent.
>>
>>32514018
>but I need to have a dedicated lower receiver serialized as a pistol to be legal?
it doesnt have to be serialized as a pistol.it could be an other and that would be fine too.

what it cant be is a rifle. if it started life as a rifle/longgun/shotgun it needs sbr or sbs
>>
>>32514073
Constructive intent isn't real.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.