[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

would it be possible to put something like a gun's silencer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1483091466696.png (365KB, 469x567px) Image search: [Google]
1483091466696.png
365KB, 469x567px
would it be possible to put something like a gun's silencer on the exhaust ports of a fighter jet so that it's not as loud and doesn't get targeted as easily by heat seeking missiles?

basically i want to hover around my own f-35 without disturbing my neighbors.
>>
File: 1476214309435.png (953KB, 620x647px) Image search: [Google]
1476214309435.png
953KB, 620x647px
>>32504743
Are you retarded?
>>
>>32504743
Wat
>>
>>32504760
>>32504759
if you can silence a pistol why can't you silence a fighter jet? they're mechanically the same thing except one flies.
>>
File: 1436723627270.png (89KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1436723627270.png
89KB, 399x382px
>>32504769
>if you can silence a pistol why can't you silence a fighter jet? they're mechanically the same thing except one flies.
>>
>>32504778
it's true. one shoots bullets, the other shoots air and is backwards.
>>
>>32504769
You take me for a spin in the old f-35 and I'll help you design a jet silencer.
>>
File: op.jpg (47KB, 411x381px) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
47KB, 411x381px
>>32504769
>mechanically the same

While this ... might... be remotely true
You're way off, friend-o...
>>
>>32504789
i'ts one seater so you'd have to be on the wing.
>>
>>32504798
Nah man, I can just sit on your lap, I'm pretty small.
>>
someone screencap this
>>
>>32504743
So OP is discussing this like an autistic child, but he's actually on to something that's already done on jet aircraft.

They are careful when designing the exhaust nozzles of stealth aircraft to hide as much of the IR signature as possible.
>>
File: IMG_3576.png (71KB, 287x455px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3576.png
71KB, 287x455px
No. A silencer contains many chambers that trap gas to slow it down.

Doing this on a jet would have the same results as slowing down. Ademas de, silencers only dampen the noise from a gun to make it harder to locate.
>>
>>32504854
wouldn't it slow down a bullet as well? what's the argument against using it for jets if it also makes them harder to locate? like imagine you hear a whoosing sound but don't realize i have a fighter jet hovering in my back yard.
>>
oh wow you guys are so useless. i just want to silence a fighter jet how is that so difficult? fucking commanlets.
>>
>>32504769
>they're mechanically the same thing

I know you're trolling, but firearms operate on one charge of expanding gas at a time, that can be dissipated by allowing it to expand in a closed (or nearly closed) space and then allowed to vent. Jet engines operate on a continuous stream of expanding gas. If you try to dissipate this gas, it will be continuously pushed out at the same mass flow rate by the gas expanding behind it.
>>
>>32504893
can't you make it operate in a closed space as well using a pulse detonation engine or whatever they're called?
>>
Lockheed pls go

We're not doing your work for you.
>>
>>32504933
You could have a large compressor taking the jet engine exhaust, compressing it, then storing it in a large tank. No exhaust, no noise, easy peasy. Just release the compressed gas at the end of the mission.

Then just figure out another way to produce thrust, a quieter way ideally.
>>
Just cut your engines at 1 second intervals, then you cut your noise in half on average
>>
>>32504953

Ohmygodwat

The tank would fill up with so much pressure it would be a bigger bomb than Hillary Clinton's run for president.
>>
>>32505061
OK, so if you don't like that idea. How about a f-35 with two jet engines, except they operate in in opposite phases so the sounds cancel out. Dead silent jet, dead silent enemies.
>>
>>32504743
I recommend taking out the engine, selling it, and then using a catapult to propel the plane in future.
Mount it on a self-driving car, and you can hop from mountain to mountain with style and in complete silence. .
>>
Is this a glider thread in disguise?
>>
>>32505289

You can't scout with gliders because muh drones
You can't scout in glinders in poor countries because too poor

A man can daydream, getting towed and soaring ovafrica, scouting for the side you picked in the endess ethnic quarrels
>>
>>32505202
Every single blade bucket on the two turbine spools produce their own frequency. The same goes for the LP and HP compressor. The turbo fan design helps cool the exhaust from the burner section but you can't eliminate the high pressure whine from the rotating assemblies any more than you could design a twin turbo vehicle that cancels its own frequencies.
>>
>>32504743
I think ots posible

There were some egg heads that silenced a helicopter durring the 1950s why couldn't the egg heads do the same today

Also why not create a system of speaks or vibrating alloys in the jet that fires the exact negative vibration the jet makes causing a zzero noise?
>>
>>32505508
you mean like noise cancellation headphones but instead of a speaker you're using the frame of the jet?
>>
Fantastic thread
>>
>>32505844
>waaah stop talking about unique ideas

sup reddit
>>
>>32505326
You can't scout in developed countries because no AA evasion.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.