[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of semi-automatic rifles? My thought is that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: M14%20Service%20Rifle%20pic[1].jpg (22KB, 690x175px) Image search: [Google]
M14%20Service%20Rifle%20pic[1].jpg
22KB, 690x175px
What is the point of semi-automatic rifles? My thought is that you may as well use a bolt action rifle or any automatic weapon for your needs.

Already a semi-auto doesn't stand up to the range, accuracy, reliability or ease of maintenance or a bolt action rifle, but consider this. If you're firing your semi-auto slowly, why not just use a bolt action which'll give you effectively the same rate of fire, and if you're firing your semi-auto any faster than you could fire a bolt action ever could, clearly accuracy isn't your issue, you're just trying to hit something and fast; why not just use an automatic weapon if this is the case?

I don't understand semi-autos, /k/. What is the point? What are your thoughts?
>>
>>32504153
Get out, noguns
>>
the range, accuracy, reliability or ease of maintenance of* a bolt action rifle, my bad.
>>
>>32504153
Have you ever shot any guns?
>>
any faster than a bolt action ever could* fuck my brain today

>>32504162
Yes, I own three. I admit I am biased because my personal preference for guns is bolt action rifles.
>>
>>32504158
Fpbp
>>
>>32504174
post them
>>
>>32504153
>Already a semi-auto doesn't stand up to the range, accuracy, reliability or ease of maintenance or a bolt action rifle,
They can be sub-half-MOA guns without too much trouble.

>but consider this. If you're firing your semi-auto slowly, why not just use a bolt action which'll give you effectively the same rate of fire, and if you're firing your semi-auto any faster than you could fire a bolt action ever could, clearly accuracy isn't your issue, you're just trying to hit something and fast; why not just use an automatic weapon if this is the case?
You can do follow up shots on a semi-auto far faster than a bolt action and you don't come off target. Additionally, semi-auto's have recoil reduction from the action. Full auto is stupid unless you've got an M249 or similar weapon.
>>
>>32504174
you realize that fully automatic weapons aren't easy/possible to obtain for most people, right?

so what happens when you can't have a full auto, but need to kill a herd of wild hogs? get one shot off with a bolt action and have the rest of the herd scatter?
>>
This is the most nogunz post I've ever seen
>>
>>32504153
They are fun. You can share one with your buddy by filling your mag as he shoots his. You don't have to cycle the bolt in combat. They are fun. Different people like different things for their own reasons. They are fun. Did I mention they're fun? And that it's ok for people to not like what you like?

>tl;dr: Cornbread and beans can supply pretty much all the nutrition a human body needs. Doesn't mean I don't like tacos or steak.
>>
>>32504153
>I don't understand semi-autos, /k/. What is the point? What are your thoughts?
Go lead an army in a war against another force. They have semi-auto rifles and your force has bolt action. Get back to us and tell us how it went.

saged, you faggit
>>
>>32504174
you sound like a fudd whose only shooting is off a bench firing 1 round every 10 minutes
>>
>>32504153
>Already a semi-auto doesn't stand up to the range, accuracy, reliability or ease of maintenance or a bolt action rifle
Wow, what a fallacious statement.
>>
>>32504153
My semi auto rifles are in the same calibers as most bolt action rifles, range is the same
My semi auto rifles are MOA accurate to sub MOA accurate. Accuracy is the same
My semi auto rifles are reliable, nothing really breaks
My semi auto rifles are as easy to maintain, I rarely clean any of my rifles, just add oil.

Whats the point of bolt action rifles?
>>
>>32504209
I'm asking out of honest curiosity of the practical uses of a semi-auto, and I've gotten the answers I wanted,

>>32504190
>>32504203
>>32504211
>>32504212
Here. These are very good replies and I understand their importance more now.

I didn't mean to come off as the "you don't NEEEED a gun" type.
>>
>>32504153
I bought my 9 year old son his first firearm for Christmas. It's a semiautomatic .22lr. Why the semi? So I can focus him on marksmanship, not on working the bolt. He doesn't have to break concentration or grip between shots this way.
>>
>>32504269
>I didn't mean to come off as the "you don't NEEEED a gun" type

You certainly come off as either that or noguns when you say

>semi-auto doesn't stand up to the range, accuracy, reliability or ease of maintenance or a bolt action rifle

because a gun being semi-auto instead of bolt action doesn't effect range nor ease of maintenance, has only a tiny effect on accuracy that can be easily overcome by design or modification.
The only time it has been an issue for me with reliability is 30+ year old semi autos that need such correction of huge, insurmountable problems such as
>changing a $15 recoil spring
>running sandpaper once or twice down the feedlips of beat to shit 40 year old magazines

Get a semiauto and try it out, you might appreciate all the advantages anon has already mentioned.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.