[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm think about getting my first firearm but I know jack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (239KB, 1774x1774px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
239KB, 1774x1774px
I'm think about getting my first firearm but I know jack shit about them. I'm looking for something simple to clean and maintain and something that has stopping power yet is easy for a woman to handle. What do you suggest?
>>
A .22 rifle is always a good weapon to start on for basic gun knowledge building. As for stopping power it's a little lacking.
>>
>>32491724
Thanks man I'll look into them.
>>
>>32491707
Ar15 don't buy and expensive one
>>
AR 15. In the smallest caliber that can be reasonably expected to stop a man, and so simple they give it to Marines.
>>
>>32491743
Are ar-15s accurate. I'm assuming they are if they give them to marines.
>>
9mm peestol
>>
>>32491707
>something that has stopping power
Yeah. Nah.
>>
>>32491707

What exactly do you plan on using it for?

home defense, range toy, etc.
>>
>>32491754
Sure, they have the potential to be as accurate as any other self-loader. Most of the commercial ones are built to be about average, but that's good enough to hit a man out to 500 meters if the shooter has practiced and knows how to shoot.
>>
Tactical shotgun with low-brass birdshot.

Basically just a big barrel (easy to clean)

Versatile (slugs, bird shot, buck shot)

Plenty of stopping power

The big thing with shotguns are the types of shells.

birdshot is good for home defense and well, bird hunting.

Birdshot is a lot of tiny pellets which won't hurt your house too bad if you happen to have to shoot in you home.

tl;dr shotguns depend more on the ammo rather than the gun itself for varying situations.
>>
Can't go wrong with a Mosin Nagant.
>>
>>32491866
Agreed.

>>32491707
If you're in for an all-around weapon because you don't plan on buying a second for a while, definitely go with a shotgun. I'd recommend pump. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. The first gun I bought was the Rem 870. Only real difference between that and the Moss is the plastic pieces in the 500 and the shell ramp, but it's a bit more expensive. I just happened to pick mine up for a Mossberg price ($500).
Easy to clean, lots of choice on ammo. I wouldn't recommend birdshot for home defense like Anon up there because it can be a bit tricky in legaleze.
>>
>>32492016
*$300 Whoops. I think the Remington is usually $500 and my under-slept, infantile brain just pooped stuff on the keyboard.
>>
ruger 10/22
>>
>>32491707
Get a glock. It's dead simple to take apart and requires less lube than other pistols. I'd recommend getting a 17, 19, or 42 depending on how big your hands are and if you're a first time shooter.
>>
File: th.jpg (3KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
3KB, 300x100px
A SKS is a fairly simply rifle if you don't want a pistol or shotgun and is usually around $300 to $400
>>
Rifle: either .22 or an AR-15

Pistol: Either 9mm Glock or .357

Don't fuck yourself on overpriced, overly complex bullshit.
>>
>>32491707
AR 15s and all the variants ( switch out uppers and lowers for different calibers easily, can be assembled like legos)
Hipoint Pistol caliber Carbines
Kel Tec Rifle, Specifically the SU 16, and their pistol caliber carbine
>>
>>32494869
This. More stopping power than a 5.56/.223 and requires virtually no maintenance. I have all kinds of guns ranging in age, quality, precision, etc. and the SKS will always be near and dear to my heart. It's no AR, the triggers are pretty springy and chunky, but they're reliable and very fun to shoot. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through mine (brass and steel) -- haven't cleaned it once.

Although it's worth mentioning that it's pretty heavy, which might be a downside for a female shooter.
>>
Ruger 10/22
>>
>>32491707
>ctrl + f "revolver"

I recommend a .357 magnum revolver. They're a bit on the pricier side, but they have the following benefits:

dependable

easier to use, understand, and clean than semi-autos

immune from most bans, so retarded state laws usually don't apply

you have the option of using .38 special, which in a revolver designed for .357 magnum is going to feel like a mouse fart

literally muh stoppin powah with the ful-size round

incredibly versatile weapon

the 6 or 7 round capacity is a deal-breaker for some people, but I like the solidity and reliability of mine.

The options given by other people in this thread are also quite good, though. The other one I'd recommend is a 12-gauge shotgun, which was already mentioned here.
>>
>>32495257
Actually not a bad recommendation if a handgun is the goal. The first one I ever shot was a S&W .357 with a 6 inch barrel. Of course I shot .38 special the first time because I was 12 years old -- but man it was pleasant. I remember how comfortable it made me feel moving up to .357 (also shot a .44 magnum the same day). The added barrel length is really nice too, makes an introduction into handgun shooting more smooth. Most auto-loaders are ballpark 4 inch barrels. Not very easy to shoot accurately for a novice.

The additional benefit is learning double-single action triggers and appreciating the importance of smooth trigger operation.
>>
>>32491707
Common:
>AR 15 (Can be assembled like a lego playset, huge aftermarket, multiple calibers available with upper and lower receivers) Prices vary from $500 to a grand
>Shotguns (Semi autos and pump actions, similar aftermarket like the AR, lots of available loadings in specific gauges) prices vary from $200 (If you find a police surplus) to a grand
>Hipoint Pistol caliber Carbine (Multiple calibers available, cheap, simple blowback action, has a decent aftermarket, different loadings for ammunition available) usually less than $500 bucks
>Kel Tec SU 16 and Sub 2000 (With a good search online, you can find them for around) SU 16 cost around or less than $600, Subs are usually around $300 to $600.
Now, Mini 14s are also around, but they usually cost more than an AR15. However, if you find police surplus Mini14s that were either used, they'll be around the $300-$400 dollar range, or if they weren't used, $400-$500. Alot of police surplus arms can be acquired for less than their retail prices, at least in my region.
>>
File: cheney-hunting-accident.jpg (47KB, 750x651px) Image search: [Google]
cheney-hunting-accident.jpg
47KB, 750x651px
>>32491866

>birdshot for self defense
>>
>>32495147

.22? Fuck this thread is retarded.

OP for the love of God just google this, you're getting a lot of bad advice. Birdshot or a .22 will not reliably stop an attacker especially if they're wearing a heavy jacket or they're high. If you're at all concerned about "stopping power" don't listen to these cunts.
>>
>>32495456
>.22? Fuck this thread is retarded.
These threads always are, you know how many times I try to tell people not to buy a fucking .22LR rifle or handgun for their only firearm?
>>
>>32494869
This OP.
I love my SKS and recoil is very manageable for someone of smaller stature.
>>
For myself personally
If I were looking to get a firearm and have a girl potentially need to use it I'd probably get a 9mm carbine assuming she'll actually be serious about using it
if it's just a "she theoretically could" in a pinch I'd just get myself whatever rifle I want since she'd never really grab it and fire off more than a single shot most likely
>>
>>32495424
Mini's are shit, don't bother with them.
>>
>>32494869
Would the Norinco type 56 SKS be cheaper than the military SKS'?
>>
>>32491707
You want something simple and reliable, plus easy to clean, also something common so getting spares/help is easy. Go for a Glock, they are very cheap and relatively simple. 9x19mm para is also a common round.
>>
>>32495540
Keltech sub-2000. Takes block magazines, is simple to use, barely any recoil, extremely lightweight
>>
>>32491707

Shitposting aside you should decide a bit what you need, either:
1. Concealed carry: pistol
2. Home defense at urban area: Pump/semi-auto Shotgun
3. All around weapon: rifle

If:
1. One of the commonly available 9mm pistols that suits your needs best. So many options that head to store to see and test them instead of asking in forum such as this.
2. Pump-action shotgun, if you don't hunt or shoot skeet and want gun for home-defense Mossberg Maverick/500/590 will do.
3. If in doubt: AR-15.

Whatever you choose, get some training and get familiar with the firearm - if you don't know how to properly used it, you cannot effectively use if you (really) need to.
>>
File: k approved 9mm 2014 v2.jpg (1MB, 2500x2267px) Image search: [Google]
k approved 9mm 2014 v2.jpg
1MB, 2500x2267px
>>32491707
First go to youtube and look up some intro to gun videos.

Next, AR15.

Finally, don't ask /k/.
>>
>>32496873
>2. Home defense at urban area: Pump/semi-auto Shotgun
No. Shotguns suck.
>>
>>32491707
Basically they all are anon
>>
>>32496930
why not glock 19
>>
>>32498754
>full sized
>>
>>32491707
Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. My wife, who has MS, and my 9 year old son love it. It's simple, simply built, strong, and reliable after you get the mags working. The ghost ring sights are nice, and you can put a flashlight or laser on it if you want to. If it has problems feeding, open up the top of the mag just a touch, oil the hell out of it, and run it up and down as fast add you can with a pencil or screwdriver for a minute or two. The extended mags from pro-mag aren't great, but they work. And you can feed it FMJ almost as cheaply as you can buy .22 lr. 9mm out of a carbine is a pretty good threat stopper. Another option might be a lever action carbine in a pistol round so you have a socially acceptable street sweeper.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.