[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How dangerous is it to shoot a handgun or long rifle in the air

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: celgun_1.jpg (117KB, 910x607px) Image search: [Google]
celgun_1.jpg
117KB, 910x607px
How dangerous is it to shoot a handgun or long rifle in the air on new years eve?

People do this dumb shit every year, Even in the suburbs.

In Detroit It sounds like Iraq on new years eve
>>
extremely dangerous everything that goes up must come down.

about 6 years ago i lived in a shitty area of town and it use to happen all the time i had to move after i found my car riddled with bullet holes on the roof after new years. this is /k/ dude no one here will encourage you to fire a weapon at something you dont plan on destroying
>>
>>32486185
Trust me I know that. I would never do that

I was just asking how dangerous it really is. Wasn't sure if they came down fast enough to kill you.
>>
5.56 from an AR actually can go into low-earth orbit when shot straight up, so with that you should be fine.
>>
>>32486227
If you shoot it exactly straight up, no, it won't be going fast enough to harm you.

However, good luck at shooting exactly straight up. If it's angled, will be coming down definitely fast enough to kill, considering that celebratory gunfire kills quite frequently.
>>
its needlessly dangerous, why do you even want to do it in the first place?
>>
>>32486026
There a law in arizona called Shannon's law named after a girl who was killed after a bullet struck her in the head after being fired in the air from half a mile away.
>>
>>32486247
I don't know I never understood it.

Seems reckless.

But I guess drunk people...
>>
>>32486026
Well I wouldn't recommend people from "Detroit" doing it. You know... Those people.
>>
>>32486245
its literally impossible for the bullet to come straight down and hit you in the head you fucking retard
>>
>>32486346

t. expert physicist, im sure
>>
>>32486237
I call bullshit
>>
Can I fire blanks in the air in GA?
Nothing comes out so surely its fine
It's like a big cap gun
>>
once I got these shit quality archery arrows for dirt cheap

I live in the city

one knight I shot all 30 of them from my compound bow in random directions.

pretty sure I hit an unlucky dumb fuck or two

or at least put one through the hood of his car. lmfao
>>
>>32486245
Dude,
Whatever speed it was going up
Is the same speed it will be traveling down
>>
>>32486390
Yeah only 10mm can achieve low earth orbit.
>>
>>32486432
lol no you fucking retard, it wont come down at the same speed since air resistance and gravity will significantly reduce it's trajectory speed

especially when it begins tumbling down, and it will
>>
>>32486026
People can and do get killed doing this, and it's never the person who actually shoots the gun.

If you want to shoot something into the air, use lightweight birdshot from a shotgun. That's what it is meant for.
>>
File: RAILWAY_gun.jpg (28KB, 701x282px) Image search: [Google]
RAILWAY_gun.jpg
28KB, 701x282px
>>32486450
this raises an interesting question

how big would a conventional shell need to be to escape orbit or at least strike an object in orbit? would it be possible with current technology? could it be a potential method of repelling ayy or even controlling the actual space around earth, interplanetary style?
>>
>>32486026
Just use blanks, no point in risking it
>>
Just use bird shot
>>
>>32486605
It would need to have a muzzle velocity of 11.186 kilometers per second, ignoring the effects of air resistance.
>>
>>32486605
Gaz dont expand fast enough to put anything that high
>Source : Christmas chat with my Uncle, a space engineer
>>
>>32486485
This.

Shoot birdshot into the branches of a huge conifer in my buddy's back yard every year. No dead neighbors yet.
>>
File: Project_Harp.jpg (32KB, 304x480px) Image search: [Google]
Project_Harp.jpg
32KB, 304x480px
>>32486605
Project HARP got shells up to 180km with a 16 inch L/100 and sabots.

The eventual goal was gun-launched satellites but the program got canceled.
>>
>>32486605
Space is only 100km up if you consider the edge of space to be the Kármán line. This is feasible with a large enough round.

Getting something into orbit is a whole different ballgame. Assuming very favorable conditions (read: launch from the Equator with help from the Earth's spin) you need to accelerate something to roughly 10km/s; waaaaay faster than any conventional firearm.

XKCD did a "What-If" (https://what-if.xkcd.com/24/) that concluded by saying you would need a pile of gunpowder the size of Central Park and that any object launched in such a manner would be instantly obliterated.
>>
>>32486701
>https://what-if.xkcd.com/24/
That is for a staged rocket, which is completely different then a gun launched projectile as it has to lift the fuel for the next stages.
>>
>>32486733
Yeah, but read the final paragraph.
>>
>>32486454
And you think that wont kill someone?
>>
>>32486753
That paragraph refers to model rocket engines.

Rockets work differently then gun launched projectiles.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.