[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wanna do some martial arts /k/, there are only a few gyms around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (303KB, 403x685px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
303KB, 403x685px
Wanna do some martial arts /k/, there are only a few gyms around me with questionable instructors
>wing tsun
>aikido
>combat sambo
>iaido
>judo
Goals are to be able to break someone in a fight without acrobatics. I'm 6'2"
What should I do?
>>
File: KravMaga.jpg (86KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
KravMaga.jpg
86KB, 600x404px
Do Krav Maga for a year or two & then branch out into something else that complements it (BJJ, kickboxing, etc).
>>
>>32482852
I want to be able to stop time how do i go about doing so
>>
>>32482852

judo. go box too.
>>
>>32483041
I would suggest boxing first due to height but yes good pairing
>>
>>32482852
Judo and sambo are the only legitimate options you have

It should be easy to see if the judo school is good by checking if anyone competes

Live sparing with resisting opponents is the only way youll get good at fighting fast so sport based martial arts like boxing, judo, Brazilian jujitsu, mauy thai, are going to help you the most. Be cautious of places that overemphasize scoring points like some tkd or full contact karate schools, you can still learn a lot but it is harder to transition to opponents with different background

Avoid more traditional arts like aikido or Chinese arts, they take longer to become proficient in and have less real work applications
>>
>>32482852
i would go with the wing tsun due to it being meant to train peasants to become a threat in a short period of training
>>
>>32482852
>>32483110
Also, if you have muay thai, systema, kyukushin, kajukenbo (basically street fighting), or kali/arnis/eskrima, then look at those. Check the schools against bullshido and others like it to check its legitimacy.
>>
>>32482852
Punch em in the throat
>>
>>32483110
>i would go with the wing tsun due to it being meant to train peasants to become a threat in a short period of training
Are you confusing it with Kali or Escrima? Because what you describe isn't really Wing Chun man.
>>
>>32482852
Sambo for sure, you lucked out having an instructor near
>>
>>32482852
Probably Sambo would be the 'hardest' art there.

If the Aikido is Sport Aikido aka Tomiki Aikido then that's worth doing, if it's any form of 'Traditional' Aikido then fuck it right off.

Sport Aikido is more like Judo, in that it's just about competition and sparring and knowing an art that teaches rolling, throwing and breakfalls is really good but the best part is that Sport Aikido (at least the one I studied) is 80% sparring in class so you get shitloads of contact and not so much pointless drilling in forms.

Another feature of Sport Aikido is that the techniques are modified to be less injurous, that might sound useless but it means that you don't really need to hold back, you just throw people and know that you're (somewhat) unlikely to fuck them up too badly, which means that legal consequences are way lighter if you fuck up and you can also use it to just break up some shit without putting people in hospital.

If you want close in striking then Wing Chun is ok, it's one of the more functional Kung Fu families, not very mobile in my experience though, I've wiped the floor with any Wing Chun guys that I've sparred with, that could mean anything though.

Iaido is sword play, unless you're Ken-Sama, it's just for tradition's sake.

You did say that you didn't want acrobatics but the rolls in Aikido are pretty practical to know because most fights end up on the ground sooner or later.

Of all of them, I'd probably suggest Sambo and do some moonlighting in Judo for the ground fighting.
>>
>>32482852
Wing Chun + BJJ
>>
>>32483976
Amazing since Judo, КM, and Sambo are in the same building.
Why should I not do KM?
>>
last bump
should I do krav maga or not?
main trainer is some IDF colonel
>>
>>32485443

Krav Maga is a good basis, but don't see it as a long term solution. Krav Maga teaches a lot in a short time span. As a result it is a good choice to start. But it has serious limitations with regards to ground work & kicks. So you should supplement it with BJJ and/or Muay Thai later on if you're serious about martial arts and want to continue to evolve your practical skills.

If your KM trainer starts whining about belts & exams, it's often a sign of him running a McDojo and he's simply out for money instead of aiming to train you. Could be that he's fairly good still, but be critical.
>>
>>32482852

>shit
>shit
>shit
>shit
>shit

Look for krav maga instead, it was fully tested on towelheads and it worked.
>>
>>32485443
no, judo or sambo would be the best out of the ones youve listed
>>
>>32485979
Why?
>>
>>32486002
sport arts in general tend to be better than the "for the streetz" ones because they have better quality control, they spar often, you can compete against other schools, theres a real frame of reference for someone that is actually considered good
>>
>>32482852
BJJ, boxing, hapkido
>>
>>32486033
I don't think the local gym has competing teams. There's fuck-all info, not even a site. Just a phone number.
>>
>>32486047
they dont need a team for you to be able to compete, many competitions just allow you to sign up
>>
>>32486064
What if the club consists of a bunch of feel-good casual normies?
>>
>>32486080
its probably still better than krav maga
>>
>>32486337
ok i'll take your word for it
>>
>>32486033
>sport arts in general tend to be better than the "for the streetz" ones because they have better quality control, they spar often, you can compete against other schools, theres a real frame of reference for someone that is actually considered good

Except sports teach you rules which are inapplicable in the street... There are hard limits on sports. There are only legal limits to self-defense.

If you don't frequently spar in Krav Maga, you're clearly in a McDojo. GTFO.
>>
>>32486381
>>32485724
>McDojo
Is this an American thing?
>>
>>32486381
>Except sports teach you rules which are inapplicable in the street
Yes, punching someone in the face or taking them down and choking them is inapplicable in the streets.

>inb4 multiple opponents
krav wont save you either
>>
>>32486398
>Is this an American thing?

It's just a fast food reference. McDojo is the blanket term for money grubbing teachers that don't necessarily care about anything but money.

>>32486412
>Yes, punching someone in the face or taking them down and choking them is inapplicable in the streets.

Nice straw man, friendo. Why don't you go to bed, big people are talking.

>krav wont save you either

As if any martial art will magically save your bacon if you get confronted by more people or more skilled people... At least Krav Maga will prepare you better for it than say Judo or Karate.
>>
>>32486471
>Nice straw man, friendo
in what way was that a strawman? those are things that are leagl in quite a few martial arts including the ones recommended to OP. so what rules are you talking about then?

and what do you think makes krav so special?
>>
>>32486512
OP here
theres an appeal to a muscular jewish guy forcing me into submission
|mm yes im sorry for the holocaust master
>>
>>32486555
trips though
>>
>>32482852
In this order
>study boxing (teaches how to move and basic punching, also body conditioning)
>study judo (teaches how to counter grabs and proper throws
>study Thai kickboxing (teaches how to use knees, elbows, and how to incapacitate)
>buy gun and practice shooting drills
>>
>>32486512
>in what way was that a strawman?

You make it seem like I claimed punching, choking, etc was not useful in self-defense. Which is the definition of a Straw Man Argument: You refute my thesis by putting words in my mouth.

I said sports limit themselves to their specific set of rules, which limits your training. In turn this is likely to affect your actions on the street.

>and what do you think makes krav so special?

Nothing. It's just a very practical approach to self-defense taught in a matter which is easy to learn & apply quickly. But it also has limitations which you should be aware of and train accordingly later on by broadening your horizons to remove those limitations?

I know no martial art which teaches to much in so little time when it comes to practically applicable techniques for self-defense.

Is it the best? No, but it's a great start and probably the best bang for buck (and invested time) at the start.
>>
>>32483028
ZA WARUDO!
>>
>>32486714
again, what rules are going to limit me? most people have no idea how to actually fight hell they dont even work out.
most people will telegraph everything they throw and gas out within 30 seconds.

if i can beat someone who trains i can sure as fuck beat someone who doesnt.
>>
>>32486807
>again, what rules are going to limit me?

Ok then, some examples:
Train boxing, and you might not actually go below the belt or protect yourself from blows to your legs.
Train judo, and you might not deal blows while only grappling etc. This might leave your vulnerable to blows.
Taking someone to the ground might be natural in BJJ, but that's a bad idea since you can't do anything against his friend that just walked up behind you and kicked you in the neck.

You need to escape the sporting mindset. Yes, I'm sure you'll say "but no one is that stupid", but you mostly revert to training when fighting. It comes natural. That's what makes it dangerous.
>>
>>32482852
Let me lay it out for you

>Actually Useful
Judo
Sambo*

>Lies about usefulness for fighting/Useless
Aikido
Wing Chun

>Impractical, but no pretensions of being useful
Iaido

*Sambo is basically Russian judo; if it advertizes it as "Spetsnaz training/what Russian special forces uses," you might want to walk away.
>>
>>32486887
But what about Krav Maga
>>
>>32484602
>>32485724
>>32486471

Krav Maga has no safe pressure testing of its techniques that any sporting martial art
>>
>>32486867
the first two only really apply if you fight someone who not only trains but is better/more well rounded than you (which could happen but is highly unlikely)
the third one i see people say often but i dont get why it cant be the BJJers friends who jump in.
there are so many different ways a street fight can happen and to say that doing sport arts is in any way bad is ridiculous.
a decent boxer or judoka is going to fuck up average joe no problem, and chances are thats who youll be fighting
>>
>>32486927
So punching bags have been ineffective this whole time?
>>
>>32486901
Krav Maga will teach a sloppy mixture of BJJ and kickboxing. You will probably never test your execution against a resisting opponent because it's "too dangerous." This is the advantage that martial arts that have full-contact competition have; you can pressure test against a resisting opponent with full to almost full force. The tradeoff is that you don't practice dirty fighting for actually being to practice your fundamentals without going to jail for assault.
>>
Modern judo has been neutered.
Do the combat sambo.
>>
>>32486945
Breaking someone's nose is OK where I live
>>
>>32486867
So in your Krav class you are allowed to gouge out the eyes of your sparring partner?
If not, that's a rule.
And if you get in a self defense situation you might not gouge the guys eye out.
>>
>>32486988
Ah, yes, literally all moves in krav maga are deadly or gory.
>>
>>32486994
nice straw-man friendo
>>
>>32487010
>strawman
I'm not convinced you've seen much krav maga training offline.
>>
>>32482852
Stick to martial sciences, not arts. Think Western styles. Kickboxing for striking, wrestling for ground game, MMA for both (beware of meme gyms which are like 90℅ of them)
>>
>>32487032
im not convinced you know what a strawman is.

and i have actually seen krav training, i wasnt a fan
>>
>>32487052
muy thai and judo are pretty legit despite not being western. BJJ is also good (idk if youre counting that as western or not)
>>
>>32482852
I agree with
>>32483093
but be careful of using either (especially sambo) as a form of self defense, no use wrastling somebody if his friends are gonna kick your skull in. aka carry a gun too fag
>>
>>32483142
As a 5th generation descendant of Yip Man I can tell you that is exactly what ving tsun was developed for.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.