[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the Wehrmacht achieve their stunning victories in France

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4862.jpg (30KB, 520x291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4862.jpg
30KB, 520x291px
How did the Wehrmacht achieve their stunning victories in France and early operation Barbarossa even though all of their inventory at that time was shitty weaker tanks and the heavier tanks weren't produced until later in the war?
>>
Speed and mobility
>>
>>32481768
If I could sum it up for you quickly, this wouldn't be a question.

However, some base points are French doctrine, the Dyle plan to move up through Belgium and into the Netherlands, shitty intelligence, lack of coordination between the Allies and Belgium, good traffic control during the invasion of Luxembourg and Belgium, Grossdeutschland's performance at Sedan, and so many other things. It has almost nothing to do with the quality of the tanks.

Try Robert A. Doughty's "The Seeds of Disaster" and "The Breaking Point" if you want to delve deeper. They take a particularly French perspective, but let's be honest: Victory is less about how the winners did well, but more about how the losers fucked up.
>>
>>32481768
"Tactics"

Use fast vehicles to push deep into enemy lines, encircle enemy forces before they know what's going on, cut off enemy supply lines, then let the infantry deal with the cut off pockets of army, while you move on and cut off the next portion.

Also French tanks were largely single man turret - 1 man has to command, load, find targets, line up the gun, fire the gun, find the next target, all at the same time.

Most German tanks had 3 guys in the turret - 1 guy commanding and not doing anything else, 1 guy gunning, and nothing else, 1 guy loading.

This way the commander can keep calling targets and maintaining situational awareness, while the gunner keeps sighting targets and firing at them, while the loader just keeps loading.

You have very low situational awareness in a 1 man french tank when you're loading and trying to find a target down the narrow FOV sight. You wouldn't see the 2 tanks coming from your flanks, while a german commander in the same position would, and could call the next target and bearing for the gunner, and prioritize targets etc.
>>
While French tanks were superior and outnumbered the Germans, they were spread out all over the place. however in the few areas that had them concentrated saw that do serious damage to the Germans.
>>
>>32481768
You ever hear about this thing called blitzkrieg you fucking moron
>>
>>32481768
i am 12yo and what is this
>>
>>32481768
good communication

any modern tactics will not be effective without proper communications

God bless radios.
>>
>>32481861
I also recommend The Seeds of Disaster. OP to get an idea of how good that book is for answering your question, my first instinct was to pull my copy out. It's also fairly short and doesn't get too dry. To give a really fucking short summary:
>France think war slow
>but war fast
>>
>>32482540

That you are an old meme from /b/.

Also, this is a decent documentary about the battle of France:

>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKYbLUkIpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKYbLUkIpk
>>
Panzer II was so sexy. Pics on my laptop form where I got spource material for my model or I'd post.

Panzer III is OK but Panzer IV is pretty good too.
>>
>>32481768
tactics, air support and radios in every tank.
>>
>>32481768
Sanic Krauthaug

Gotta Blitz Fast
>>
>>32481785
correct, the novel technique later coined as "blitzkrieg"

>>32481861
u r dum
>>
>>32481768
France had bad communication. Their tanks were vastly superior to most anything the Germans could throw at them, but everything happened so fast and the lack of information left French Tanks able to advance into territory that the French infantry had labeled as lost to the Germans. It was only a matter of time until the French tanks were either destroyed or abandoned with the impending surrender of the French government.
Operation Barbarossa was so batshit insane to everyone at the time that it was a huge surprise, especially to the Russians who had just made a sort of peace agreement with the Germans and even fought alongside them early in the war. That's why the Russians fought so bitterly to the end of the war, they felt as though Germany had stabbed them in the back after using them to help conquer Eastern Europe.
>>
>>32483631
Barbarossa was not a surprise to the Russians. they all knew it was coming, and had even been preparing a preemptive strike.

read "WW2 behind Closed Doors - Stalin, Hitler and the West". its a good read and a bit of an eye opener. Like the Brits ignoring what the Soviets did in Poland in 1939 "oh they're deporting 300,000 people and executing thousands? eh, just ignore it, we need them as allies!"
>>
>>32481768
drugs, lost and lots of drugs.
it was pervitinkrieg, made you drive the tank for days.
>>
>>32481768

Radios.
>>
>>32481768
Superior tactics.
>>
>>32481861
>It has almost nothing to do with the quality of the tanks.
The Pz 35(t) and Pz 38(t) were pretty fuel efficient and didn't require a lot of maintenance for the time, meaning they had twice the op. rane of the Pz III; that definitely helped with the Blitzkrieg.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.