[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Owning Guns in Canada. I've always liked guns and wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_5851_2lowres.jpg (218KB, 2346x1885px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5851_2lowres.jpg
218KB, 2346x1885px
Owning Guns in Canada.

I've always liked guns and wanted one; however, i live in Canada.
So to my Canadian comrades, I have a few questions:
1. Are you allowed to use your gun in your own house for self defence, in case an intruder is in your house ?

2. Other than target shooting what else do you guys do ?
>>
>>32479392
VERY VERY iffy. Canadian law says you may act in defense relative to the danger you're in. If someone's trying to kill you, you can kill them first.
It's a terrible legal grey area and will never be clarified. It's a case by case thing.

Lots and lots of target shooting.
Video games too, not sure what you're getting at.
I'd link my little youtube video talking about some of the cheaper guns you can buy in Canada but eh.

If you're going to start, go do a search for PAL courses in your area, take the course and do the hoop jumping to get your license. Make sure you get your Restricted as well as Non Restricted, you'll want it later because handguns are fun.

For a first rifle you can't go wrong with a new $200 SKS from anywhere, a crate of 1400rnds of 7.62x39 I just got from my local sporting store was $270

$500 and you can start shooting after you get your license.
>>
>>32479392
1. Not really. IANAL but you have to keep it locked up (trigger lock or in a safe or smth), and fwiu you can only use it if you're legitimately in fear of your life and have no other recourse.

2. Hunting? Tin cans and animals are kinda the sum total of what you can legally shoot at.
>>
>>32479574
Link your vid bro
>>
>>32479574
I've gone with relatives to go target shooting [it was very boring].

Prior to that I used to have my own guns in another country; however, since I was 16. I truly understood and honored my weapons. It was like my father had shown me a code. Even to the extent that you must never lay your gun on the ground, "your gun is your right arm and your brother, etc ...''

So ill be honest with you the only two things I'd buy are a hand gun for home defense and a hunting rifle to hunt deer.

I'm no gun freak... especially in a country that wont let you put more than 5 bullets in a mag.

At what age do you suggest i get a licence and what is the average end cost.
>>
>>32479605
First time I've bothered to do an informative sort of video, I need to rehearse shit I say before making another video next time.
https://youtu.be/KU5H6IMptuU
>>
1. you cannot put on your PAL paperwork "self defence" and send it away, instantly denied. HOWEVER if you are in intimidate danger, equal force will be in your favour. you can not pull a gun on someone who is breaking in your house, i did, but i didnt tell anyone.
2. hunting, camping, general /out/ activities, video games, trapping (not /b/ traps) shooting
>>
>>32479392
>1. Are you allowed to use your gun in your own house for self defence, in case an intruder is in your house ?

Yes. In pretty much every case this has come up the homeowner has won, even in one case where the guy used unpinned mags in his SKS (Chris Bishop). Expect to pay a lot of money to your lawyers in the meantime.
>>
>>32479699
1. If someone breaks into your home, you have to identify the threat and determine whether you can legally kill him or not. Is he armed? Is he trying to kill you? That kind of stuff.
>>
Does anyone else buy from Ellwood Epps gunstore?

I recently discovered them found out they do not accept Visa Debit. Months later they do. Feels good.
>>
>>32479756
well, you could probably shoot the fucker and plant a BB gun on him, but im not 100% sure DESU senpai
>>
>>32479699
Post home intruder story please my dude.
>>
>>32479660
good video man, ill give ya a sub. where are you from?
>>
>>32479804
Vancouver Island.
>>
>>32479795
nothing spectacular, happened 4 years ago
>be me, 19 y/o
>live by myself in shitty townhouses in worst neighborhood
>only white guy
>everyone else smokes crack
>guy who lived here before me was a crack dealer
>great.jpg
>every night for the first 3 weeks people are banging on my door
>"ANON, HOOK ME UP"
>stops for a day or two
>about 6am, im awake because im an early bird
>windows rustling
>so are my jimmys
>grab mossman 500, load some 00 buck
>hear "thump!", drunk ass native mumbled some shit about lysol
>at this point im at the top of my stairs
>operate operationally down the stairs
>see said drunk native
>rack slide
>he shit his pants
>hops back out the window
>hits pavement
>isnt moving for a good 15 seconds
>laughingsluts.jpg
>make sure he leaves
>go back and lay on my bed play some more dayz
>say a prayer to joe biden for his "shotgun is all you need" speach
so to everyone who says "a shotgun slide pump doesn't scare off people, it did for me.
I would totally get butt fucked by the RCMP if he called the cops on me, doggo shot ect.
>>
>>32479821
damn, how shitty is it? any good hunting/hiking there? any snow right now?
>>
>>32479906
native americans are the niggers of this country not even the arabs and blacks have gone this low...

But if trudeau stays he will turn minorities into niggas.
>>
This is now a Canada General thread.
>>
>>32479952
my gf is native. adopted and raised by very respected dutch so she isnt like that. but fuck do i hate those type of drunk ass natives, the scum of this country. call you cheap white man if you dont give them 2 bucks for another hit but they get so much from the government in reparations, they get:tax breaks, free schooling, cheques every month, a house given to them if on the res, cheap tobacco. but instead they blow it all away and choose to be bottom feeders
>>
>>32479986
if she smells alcohol she will get drunk, she has the native genes...
>>
>>32479920
Snow just got rained away, I've been living in Alberta for the last 5 years so it's nice to be back on the Island for a change. There's woodland everywhere and as long as you're in the middle of the island or up it's all crown land woods and mountains as far as you can see. It's a beautiful place.
>>
>>32479986
oh ya and fucking white trash...
Blacks have nice families and are normally respectable Christians.
>>
>>32480007
actually, until i met her she hasnt even sipped a damn beer lol. very occasionally she will have a bit on my bud, she prefers coolers and even then barely drinks.
>>
>>32480012
nice bud, my mom is in victoria right now. Looks beautiful, im from Sparwood BC, borders Alberta. Best hiking and hunting there. love taking my little carbine length ranch hand up innawoods
>>
>>32480029
ya be careful if you take her to a resto or a club, dont let her drink to much, or else if you want you can test her drinking levels at home.

I actually studied all about this gene that they lack its lack is found in east asians and native americans.
>>
>>32479986
this is a bit harsh on my end, i MEANT the natives who choose this life style are trash, same white whites, blacks ect, but atleast if a white person is like this they dont waste away the opportunities they could have by free education.
>>
>>32480089
well weve gotten drunk together, she can handle about 4 beers, during my dads wedding we had an open bar. She had about 2 coolers and about half of my solo cup which was a tripple rum and coke and got pretty drunk, i had about 7 of those and as much bud i could drink. Hey its free why not get sloppy shit faced every once and a while
>>
>>32480118
also wanted to add, that i even shocked myself im of arab decent, non muslim and can handle more alcohol than many of my white friends... and i only way 71kg
>>
>>32480219
a few years ago i was pretty bad with alcohol also 80kg 6'4. i could drink a full 26 and a 6 pack of budlight in a night of partying and be drunk, not even fucked up drunk. one night i tryed a 40 and got so lit senpai, never slept for 24 hours and had to work the next day and was the worst hangover ive ever had. that day i decided to quit drinking and started smoking weed a bit more often, i made it to one month with out drinking (my goal) then i still didnt have the desire to drink, so i made it to a full year without getting drunk (have a beer here and there) and i smoked weed atleast once a day, i dont smoke weed anymore because i work at a coal mine and they piss test, but weed definitely helped me quit.
>>
>>32480285
This country is going down a shit line, i look at the original canadian families. kids being kicked out of their houses at 18 and never looking after their parents. Kids get into groups, girls losing their virginity at 10 and 13. wtf is wrong with you people. I feel bad for you and i try to redpill my friends into leaving the degenerate ways of drugs and alcohol addiction [dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with casual drinking, just being dependent to me is sad...]
>>
>>32480422
as i said, i dont drink anymore. but this country is going down the shitter, no need to feel sorry for me, i am against other drugs (dont consider weed a gateway drug, my brother has a medical license and it does wonders) and i cant stand going to clubs and whatnot, no need to feel superior over me
>>
>>32465734
>>
File: safestoragecanada.jpg (56KB, 461x626px) Image search: [Google]
safestoragecanada.jpg
56KB, 461x626px
>>32479654
>So ill be honest with you the only two things I'd buy are a hand gun for home defense and a hunting rifle to hunt deer.

You can do those things but you have to convince a judge/jury that you were in fear for your life if you plan on using it for HD. You also have to store it legally.

It's a few hundred bucks (like $250 or so) for the required two day course and application fee. The course to get a hunting license is another 2 days and about $150.

Get it as soon as you can. I think you can do it at 16.
>>
>>32479737

>Expect to pay a lot of money to your lawyers in the meantime.

JOIN THE CSSA/CCFR AND GET LEGAL DEFENCE INSURANCE IF YOU THINK YOU EVER MIGHT POSSIBLY NEED TO LIGHT UP A MOTHERFUCKER IN SELF DEFENCE
>>
>>32479821
>>32480050

ayy what's up senpai me too.
>>
>>32480455
Against other drugs, however if you do other drugs you are not a bad person, just bad at making decisions
>>
>>32479737
Did he get out of prison? I winger if he is allowed to own guns again, or keep his SKS-D he used. Fuck I read the news article and he shot someone who was on the ground. Thought for sure they were going to throw the book at him
>>
>>32479574
>Canadian law says you may act in defense relative to the danger you're in.
People used to say this a lot in the /k/anadian general threads, and they were always wrong then as well.

There's nothing relative about it. If someone is advancing on you with apparent intent to do you physical harm, then you are entitled by law to defend yourself with everything up to and including lethal force. It's when there isn't apparent intent to do physical harm that the issue comes in, as well as other questionable shit. All these 'highly expensive' court cases that people talk about, where the gun owner racks up huge bills to keep out of jail, tend to be the sketchy cases as well, the ones where self defense isn't very clear cut.

That guy who shot an indian in the back of his head, after the idiots were caught stealing, narrowly missed hitting his son, and crashed their car into a tree? He's probably gonna get in shit, because the guy he shot wasn't providing an obvious threat even though he wasn't actively fleeing like the other two (he was likely unconscious or stunned from the crash).
>>
>>32480692
>It's when there isn't apparent intent to do physical harm that the issue comes in, as well as other questionable shit
And there you're agreeing with it.
If someone breaks into your house unarmed and charges you when you're holding your SKS in hand how the fuck are you going to convince the court that you were in fear for your life?

We do not have stand your ground laws in Canada. It's the same duty to retreat bullshit that some states have. For the benefit of everyone else, show me where the law says I'm wrong.

The law is so vague it's hard to do so.
>>
File: IMG_1749.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1749.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>
>>32479392
What would happen if you bayonetted an intruder who was armed with a knife? Would they make a fuss you uses a scary gun knife designed to kill? Imo thats like the perfect definition of "equal force" even though you could shoot them if they were armed with anything and making you feel immediately threatened
>>
>>32480794
We use common-law in Canada

Court precedent supersedes the letter of the law.

It's still shit that people get raked through the coals, but as long as you don't shoot a fleeing intruder in the back you'll probably win.
>>
>>32480794
iirc we do not have a duty to retreat in the home, as we have something similar to castle laws but not really since we "dont" have "property rights", but for example if someones trying to steal your brand new truck, youre leaglly allowed to use the appropriate amount of force to subdue them, now if you confront them verbally and they get physical, in any way, youre now allowed to step it up to self defense, do they have a weapon, if yes they pose an immediate risk to your life and you are allowed to use any means to stop that threat, but if theyre unarmed and attacking you, then using weapons becomes a grey area, unless you risk being physically overpowered, or outnumbered then weapons can come into play. Self defense in the home is a much easier thing than defending yourself on the street though, on the street if someone attacks you, armed or un armed and you attack them back, with or without a weapon you better hope you can prove they were gonna kill you, i carry a kabar daily cause its retarded how useful a large knife is in daily life, but if i ever had to use it, id most likely get fucked until I can prove without a doubt my life was in danger and that i only possessed the knife as a tool. Thankfully i dont hangout in chug infested areas so i most likely will never have defend myself on the street, also i always follow the number one rule of self defense, get the fuck out there first, if you cant, re assess the threat and make the decision whether to diffuse or defend. The absolute last thing you do is defend yourself with force.
>>
>>32479737

Bishop didn't win--read the cases.
He got life in prison with no parole for 16 years <http://www.canlii.org/en/nu/nucj/doc/2010/2010nucj16/2010nucj16.html> and had his sentencing appeal dismissed <http://www.canlii.org/en/nu/nuca/doc/2013/2013nuca3/2013nuca3.html#>.
>>
>>32479795

The original trial: http://www.canlii.org/en/nu/nucj/doc/2010/2010nucj16/2010nucj16.html

Results of his sentence appeal: http://www.canlii.org/en/nu/nuca/doc/2013/2013nuca3/2013nuca3.html
>>
>>32480627

They pretty much did.
Vertes J., "This truly is a tragic situation. You are a young man who is now facing a life sentence. But the fact that you are still young, and the fact that your family loves and supports you, should give you incentive to look to the future and not dwell on the past. You still have the possibility of recreating a life. There are many years left so, as I said, you have the possibility of creating a new life for yourself eventually. The deceased of course do not.

I sentence you, on the three counts of second-degree murder, to life imprisonment with no eligibility for parole for a period of 16 years. On the two counts of attempted murder, I sentence you to concurrent terms of 10 years' imprisonment. You may sit down."

Case here: http://www.canlii.org/en/nu/nucj/doc/2010/2010nucj16/2010nucj16.html

Bishop appealed the sentence three years later and lost. http://www.canlii.org/en/nu/nuca/doc/2013/2013nuca3/2013nuca3.html#
>>
>>32480627

And no, he can't ever own or possess firearms or ammo ever again and the one used in the crime would have been destroyed by the RCMP after the trial.
>>
>>32485323

Someone I know was beaten to death by her boyfriend and he got four years in prison. Our justice system is insane.
>>
If I'm reading this correctly Bishop fired over 20 shots at the fleeing suspects.. Half of which were fired after they had already left his house.

So there's extenuating circumstances beyond just an illegal mag.

I can't claim to know what I would have done in such a situation but the guy should have stopped shooting sooner than he did.
>>
>>32479756
>he charged at me and screamed "I'M GONNA KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKER", i had to shoot him
>>
>>32480501

Always been curious, do you even need a cabinet or a safe? Will a locked case serve as the bare minimum? I keep my guns locked up well, because I believe in not scraping by on the bare minimum, but the law seems to be gray on what exactly is acceptable to use.
>>
>>32485375

The thing about this is can you REALLY argue self defence when they are fleeing from your home and you are standing on the porch shooting at them? The furthest body was over 40 meters from his home.
>>
>>32479770
Elwood epps is based as fuck I love going in there

Going to buy my first raifu from them once i'm done with all this pal paperwork bullshit
>>
>>32488887
Yeah, I mean given the size of the town, and the police's reluctance to respond to the initial claim.. I'm going to have to guess that this young man was a pretty sketchy character to begin with.

Now I'm not saying sketchy people shouldn't have a right to defend themselves... I'm just saying this probably isn't some valedictorian defending his suburban home from bix noods.

Probably some kind of gang dispute.
>>
>>32479392
canadiangunnutz

Everything that you need to know plus more. Just don't talk about anything illegal there. The mods don't like it and the place is crawling with Gestapo (RCMP).
>>
>>32486304
Canada's justice system is fucked... with lying cops and Crown Prosecutors. 83% of Canadians can't afford lawyers, 82% conviction rate. See a pattern here?

Time and again, good people seem to get shitty sentences and the genuine scum get lesser ones. Cops.. practically nothing at all. Go figure.. :^(
>>
>>32480527
>>32479821
Another VI guy here.

And yeah, Sparwood is great country. Done Elk Lakes Prov Park north of Elkford.
>>
>>32483312
If they have a weapon in your home and are not fleeing you can use any weapon to defend yourself or your family. You always have a right to self defence full stop, excessive force is a meme perpetuated based on sketchy cases.
>>
>>32483312
it's not that simple go ask a lawyer and not the armchair ones here (or even me desu). in Canuckistan in practice rather than in principle you are guilty until proven innocent in spite of what the Charter of Freedom & Rights says. remember that. AND DON'T TALK TO COPS. contrary to popular belief they dont know the law, theyre just looking to get evidence against you. they are nothing more than clerks of the Court. the truth of the matter is inconsequential & means nothing. also, you will be fucked for years as the system drags it out until court day. it is a very demoralizing experience, believe me on that.

If you you are blocking an exit for the intruder to get out when you shot/stabbed/mutilated him, good luck explaining to a judge how your life was in danger. that's entrapment and that's illegal. granted, if you can afford a defense lawyer ($20,000 to start) he may get you off but it's not cheap. any Canadian lawyer will tell you: how much justice can you afford? I'm not shitting you.

Just dont talk to the cops, period. or even explain on the 911 call what happened (just hang up as you are not obligated to explain anything or answer their questions). you think it will help you as you are obviously the victim, but The System doesnt look at it that way, which surprises so many Canadians that are put in that unfortunate position.

Let them arrest you (if they do)(if they dont then immediately get a PEN and paper and write down everything) in log form, right down to the minutest detail - memories do fog up a bit over time and the paper record will assist you immensely and your lawyer. it also has the added advantage of putting the Prosecutor on notice). Let them process you, and keep good track of officers names actions & what they say to you and the time. you will be in for a tough session but you will eventually see a lawyer or Duty Council. it is IMPERATIVE you say nothing to anyone but your defense counsel.
>>
>>32480692
Dude. He keyword op omitted was intent. All Canadian laws are based on intent so it is grey in the sense you cannot read the criminal code and derive the correct action. It also depends on who you are and what influence you have on the court system, not that its corrupt but circumstances do permit better or worse outcomes

There was a famous case where the crown attempted to charge a man with incorrectly storing his ammo. The short of it was his house was being attacked so he got out his revolver and shot in the direction of the attackers. Crown argued he could not have safely stored both weapon and ammo. Defence won because the judge agreed that nowhere in the criminal code for firearms does it say how far ammo and guns must be locked securely. It was the gayest shit ever and because of that the crown no longer Perseus that shit. We still deal with that bs all the time.
>>
>>32493076
This one

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/lorne-gunter-canadas-laws-on-the-safe-storage-of-firearms-need-clarifying
>>
gonna lay this one out

>can own guns in canada
>can technically defend house with gun if threat is great enough
>can't have firearms loaded or even out and ready
>fuck
>>
>>32493125
>yeah officer i ran back up to my room to get in my locked cabinet and opened it for my shotgun ran back down.
>>
>>32493336

Rephrase it and you're golden. But don't say it to the cops:
>When he broke in, I fled upstairs to my room, and called 911.
>He shouted that he was going to kill me, as he smashed things downstairs
>I removed my shotgun from the locked cabinet, and loaded it
>He slammed my room's door open and advanced at me as I told him to stop
>I then fired before he could stab me

To the police, say "I was in fear for my life. I will answer your questions, but first I need to speak to my lawyer."
>>
>>32493076
His main point was the "Relative force" bullshit. You're not obligated to use relative force against someone trying to kill you with their bare hands, you can shoot or stab that fucker to death, no problem.

As for signals of intent by the attacker, in the street can make things more of a grey area, depending on the circumstances (like beating someone to death in a bar fight, because they swung first). But if someone is in your fucking home, then you don't got anything to worry about in that case.

>We still deal with that bs all the time.
Which is why we can count the number of bullshit incidents on one hand.
>>
>Can't have weapon at the ready.

Another meme.

For NR you can literally just throw a combination trigger lock on a long gun, have it 1 number away from being open and put it under your bed and then you could have a bunch of ammo sitting in a little biometric safe on your bedside table.

That is you are that paranoid about being home invaded.

Or you could just get a fucking gun safe/cabinet, and have a loaded mag right beside a rifle. You can even get them in biometric for fast access.
>>
>>32493946

>lol of course you can have it at the ready
>you just have to have it a few steps away from being at the ready

m8 come on. I have a pistol safe with a keypad and a piston lid with loaded mags in it. It's the fastest legal access to a pistol available. But it's still not at the ready.
>>
>>32479756
not in canada. you can't kill intruders.
>>
File: Shortlongsks.jpg (1MB, 2296x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Shortlongsks.jpg
1MB, 2296x3264px
Post your SKS

Also what's your opinion on short vs long mags for Canadian users?
>>
>>32496428
Just get an xcr-l 7.62x39 magazine

It's a "pistol" magazine that happens to fit in an sks so you have 10 rounds

Otherwise I'd just have a standard sks because those aftermarket stocks look terrible and I don't have a reason to spend money on a 5/30 magazine when the standard one works just fine
>>
>>32493946
>criticize silly regulations? you must be paranoid!

2cucked2canadian
>>
>>32494475
>but it's still not at the ready
Realistically the only way someone could stop you from getting that is if they were already inside your home when you became aware of your presence.

At which point, the gun might not be able to save you anyway. And is the kind of retarded situation that almost never happens anyway, similar to how burglars usually flee when confronted (and especially when confronted with a weapon), and don't tend to come in groups larger than 2-3.
>>
>>32496531
>Safe storage
>silly
American gun owners ladies and gentlemen! So responsible!
>>
>>32493946
Meanwhile I can keep a loaded rifle in my car in the US.
Feels good to not be Canadian, eh?
>>
>>32496544
Responsible enough to be trusted to use guns without state-ordained mechanical clusterfucks substituting for a mature mind? Yep.
>>
>>32491197
Does Canada have any kind of public defense system like in the US or if you can't afford a lawyer are you doubly fucked?
>>
>>32496544
Our safe storage laws are retarded, and have been abused to fuck over ordinary owners. We can nail the negligent without placing burdens on everyone else.
>>
>>32496544
>Live in an apartment with my bro
>Both of us are licensed
>We don't have guests over

We should be able to just mount a fucking gun rack to the wall, but no. We had to spend money on a flimsy sheet metal cabinet to satisfy stupid fucking laws.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.