[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the cheapest way to secure your guns in a way that would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: gun safe.jpg (97KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
gun safe.jpg
97KB, 600x350px
What is the cheapest way to secure your guns in a way that would take a criminal with basic hand tools (crowbar, hammer, bolt cutters) more than 5 minutes to break into? I understand that safes aren't completely impermeable, but work as a deterrent or work by buying time. I plan on putting my safe in a closet where someone would have very little room to use these tools. I've mainly been looking at the lowest price safes at Dick's Sporting Goods (Field and Stream, Stack-On) and some gun cabinets, but I question how secure a cabinet is from someone with a crowbar. Anybody have any advice?
>>
>>32477561
The thin metal gun cabinets aren't that hard lost the keys to one of my old ones and popped it opens in less then 20 seconds with a small pry bar
>>
Theres no safe you can buy that'll be safe against a determined thief

The only way to properly secure your guns is to HIDE THEM in a place they won't be found
>>
I should add that I also have a decent home security system, so the thief would have a time limit. I know you pretty much can't "stop" a thief, but if I can get a safe that takes a sufficient amount of time to break into, then it should be good enough.
>>
>>32477874
Why did you bother posting that when literally the second sentence of the OP was
>I understand that safes aren't completely impermeable
Are you cripplingly autistic?

>>32477561
The Stack-On gun cabinets are pretty easily pried open. The fire safes are pretty much pry-proof, the fastest way into one of them is using a Sawz-All and lopping a corner off. They're basically impermeable to hand tools unless the burglar is an expert safe-cracker that knows how to drill combo locks. The Field & Stream safes are made for Dick's by Stack-On btw.
>t. Dick's employee

The cheapest way would be to get a cheap safe and stick it somewhere like a closet where a burglar doesn't have room to swing a prybar/sledge, and bolt the fucker to a wall stud or floor joist.
>>
Get a cheap sheet metal safe and place it in your bedroom as a decoy and fill it with 2x4s to mimic guns rattling around and line it with dragon dildos and SpongeBob r34.
>>
File: dom.jpg (77KB, 800x533px)
dom.jpg
77KB, 800x533px
>>32477561
Rig the som' bitch
>>
>>32477940
that's kind of the direction I was leaning at this point. That $400 Field and Stream 10 gun safe is still more than I want to spend, but it sounds like that's just what it's going to cost
>>
>>32477960
kek
>>
>>32477909
Das gud

I have an alarm sensor in my safe and it's configured to supersed the rest of the house. If you start on the safe, time is up instantly. Same for the motion sensor in the room where the safe is. So yeah.

>>32477985
Was on sale for $299, actually holds six guns without them going homos on each other.
>>
>>32477561
Hide them under a tile
>>
>>32477561

Former Bank locksmith here

High OP, What you're looking for is called a TL rated Safe. They are ugly, hard to find, and would take even a knowledgeable, skilled thief a very,very long time to get into. They have different levels of ratings TL-15, TL-30, TL-60x6. These relate to how long it would take a professional safe technician to drill a hole into them, TL-15 means 15 mins, 30, 30mins and so on. That doesn't mean getting inside of the safe, or opening it, that just means how long it would take a pro with the right tools to drill a single hole through it. Most thieves could NEVER get into a TL rated safe. A lot of "gun safes" are just cheap boxes with fancy paint. If you want actual physical security, Go for a TL Safe. Old ones are fine too, Brands like Mosler, Lefebure, Diebold all good.

pic related
>>
>>32478038
dang. any idea when it'll be on sale again?

>>32478065
man that would be really awesome, but I think something like this is going to be too costly for me at the moment. One day when I have an arsenal worth defending and enough money to do so, I'll be looking into something like that.
>>
>>32478038
>actually holds six guns without them going homos on each other.

aw dang. no op, but was also thinking about that one. guess it's the sixteener for me.
>>
>>32478065
Good luck finding one big enough to fit a rifle or shotgun though. Most of them are around 3.5' tall.

Also they weigh over a thousand pounds.

Also also you can find TL-rated postal safes on goverment auction sites for a couple hundred bux, but you'd better have access to a flatbed semi trailer and a good forklift to move it, since they're on cast steel wheels and weigh around 1700lbs. Also they still won't fit most rifles or shotguns.
>>
>>32478103
Probably next month. Sales run Sunday morning through Saturday night. There's a mobile app that will show you every week's sale flyer for your region, and sales are done by region instead of store by store.
>>
>>32478103
>dang. any idea when it'll be on sale again?
Every Thanksgiving week until mid December

>>32478113
I'm just getting multiple of these and bolting them together.
>>
>>32478117

A lot of former Bank equipment TLs are actually over 6 feet tall.

http://www.wittenbach.com/supplies/refurbished-equipment

This Hamilton Brand TL. second one down from top, can have the interior bulk lockers removed to allow the entire interior to be bare. Plus being used it'll be less than 2k.
>>
>>32478160
ah, well that's pretty cool then. Most of my experience with TL safes are older ones like what the USPS is auctioning off and what my podunk backwoods bank is still using, both of which are around 3.5' tall or smaller.
>>
>>32477561
You would have to get a thick as hell safe to not be able to open it with a cut off wheel through the side.
Also a oxy-acetylene torch /thermal lance / plasma can be had small enough now. Idk if Dindus know how to use them yet tho
>>
>>32478038
>>32478103
>>32478113

I bought a """"""""10"""""""" gun cabinet a while back because there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to get a safe into my apartment. There's no fucking way you can fit 10 guns in it normally unless you are King Elmer and own nothing with a pistol grip or optic. I ended up buying a bunch of tactical gun socks (they're just bigger so you can fit them over ARs, even with scopes) and just pile them up in a corner. Now I can even fit my pellet guns in there, whereas I didn't bother to lock them up at all before. They're $9 on amazon.
>>
>>32477940
I'd disagree--anyone half-competent can open up their "fire safe" pretty easily. Have two pry bars and use them correctly. Bolting it down does make it more difficult but ultimately it's the pry bar vs the 2x4's to stop them from effective leverage. Of course, hand them any power tool and they'll be through it in minutes. Shorter if they know what they're doing. Further, most Stack-On and Sentry has severe flaws in their keypads, locks, and especially the deadbolts. Stupid shit too--like the deadbolts actually being mild steel or threaded onto a 1/2" rod or the entire deadbolt set being attached to a punched steel plate.

>>32477561
OP, I'd suggest looking for a B-rate security container. Minimum 1/2" steel door and 1/4" steel body. Plus a good keypad without easily researched vulnerabilities.
>>
>>32478179
Ahh Gotcha, I never had much experience with smaller ones, I only ever worked refurbishing large bank used models. You are right, they are extremely heavy and will need several people to move. Another word of caution, if a TL safe falls over it's worthless It ruins the hinges. plus it can kill you
>>
>>32478209
The thing with the Stack-Ons I've seen is the "anti pry" flange actually works. The exterior of the safe is like 12ga cold-rolled (mild, soft) steel. Stick a pry bar in the door seam and all you're gonna do is roll up a half-inch flange of mild steel before you get anywhere close to the locking bolts, and mangle everything so badly you'd never get a second pry bar in there without also hammering it in place with a sledge. Hence the "stick it somewhere they don't have room to swing".

Pretty much any commercial "gun safe" is pretty weak to power toolsm the exterior is soft steel so you can't just whack it with a framing hammer and the whole safe shatters. Since they're designed to go anywhere without needing to do shit like reinforce floor joists, there's an upper limit to how thick a steel they can use for the walls/door/ceiling of the safe so they have to go with non-armorplate.

And yeah, a corded sawz-all with the proper blade will take a corner off even a "good" gun safe in like a minute.
>>
>>32478117
Work with a local safe dealer--they probably reclaim a TL-15+ safe every month or two and demand is relatively low (because those that know recycle and those that don't buy Stack-On).

>>32478065
This is decent advise. A TL-15 safe is essentially impenetrable to 90+% of thieves with <24 hours. I'd suggest you look at bank guidelines for insurance and values by levels of protection. Halve the numbers below if there's no burglary alarm.

B-Rate: $10K
B/C-Rate: $20K
UL RSC ("TL-5"): $30K
C-Rate: $50K
TL-15: $200K
TL-30: $375K
TL-30X6: $500K
TRTL-30X6: $1M

Notice that less than B-Rate (1/2" steel door & 1/4" steel walls) doesn't even rate. Few insurance companies will insure the contents because they offer so little protection against burglary or even fire.
>>
>>32478138
just downloaded the app, gonna keep an eye on it, thanks

>>32478140
i really don't want to wait until november to buy a safe, but $100 off...

>>32478185
yeah from what I understand I would have to buy an amazing safe to not be susceptible to power tools. I'm mostly just trying to protect myself from the average smash and grab crook or some guy with minimal hand tools.
>>
>>32478065
I have seen these in several reputable banks.
Can confirm this anon is legit
>>
>>32478281
Hide them in floorboards or the attic then. And a grinder with a cutoff wheel is a minimal hand tool I use this shit at work to cut pretty heavy metal with ease. But mostly I would buy a 400 dollar safe and bolt it to the floor
>>
File: IMG_20161211_122111098.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161211_122111098.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>32478281
> $100
Do what you gotta brother

Here you can see the 10 occupied by 6
>>
>>32478430
admittedly I don't know a whole lot about criminals, but I don't think most of them break in with angle grinders and cutting torches. I know it's a possibility, but I feel like it's fairly unlikely, and I imagine the $400 safe bolted to the wall/floor in a closet would protect against theft from most situations.
>>
>>32478475
Don't forget you can also harden the closet, unless you rent.
>>
>>32477561
Submerged in a vat of your own semen.
>>
>>32478506
>saving that much semen
Do you even cook?
>>
>>32477561
probably a bunch of chains intertwined with your guns and wrapped around your water heater.
>>
>>32478524
I regularly have at least 2 quarts of stockpiled semen in my home. I cannot afford to waste my fluids.
>>
>>32477960
When will we get pics of this?
>>
ITT: ARFCOM tier paranoia. Seriously, you guys watch too many movies, no one's breaking into your house with 50 pounds of power tools so they can make off with 3k in guns. Any heavy duty non Dicks-shit safe will do
>>
what do you guys suggest for keeping your guns in a third floor apartment?

I don't think it'd be possible to bring a large, heavy safe from the truck to the elevator to the apt door that easily. what do you think about furniture that is designed to conceal firearms? meme-tier or a viable choice?
>>
>>32478666
I hate to be that guy but get a house. Wtf are you doing on the fire floor?
>>
>>32478797
i'm only 22 and just out of school :^(

I have about $4500 worth of guns that I'll need to protect when I finish break and move to the apt. I could also leave them at home but I'm moving across the country.
>>
>>32479017

Here is what I did when I had an apartment with guns.

>had a big old sofa
>put some weights around it in the hollow inside
>put a floor on the inside
>put my guns in there

>put a cheap $50 safe in my closet on the floor

I got broken into once and all they stole was my safe with nothing in it and some DVDs and my PS3. Left pretty much everything else alone and didn't trash the place. My guns were safe in the sofa and it was easy and quick to get into.
>>
File: Storage-Chest-Lockable-Patio.jpg (14KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
Storage-Chest-Lockable-Patio.jpg
14KB, 293x400px
>>32477561

About 40-60 bucks says an Outdoor Storage Trunk.

> Nobody wants your big garden hose and pool toys.

Located in your back yard, probably the back part of the back yard.

Staged properly with an oil drum, tarps, and some wooden shipping pallets.

Possibly in the oil drum itself.

As outdoor storage there could be some concern over moisture but that can be mitigated.

> this is a disguise and divide by zero so its foolproof against a thief looking for the guns.
> but it only works as long as hoodlums dont try to get into it at random.
> and the thief does not know firsthand that the guns are in there.
> so dont get em out or put em away unless your're double sure nobody is watching.

Also if there's a house fire, you still have your guns since they're outside well away from the house.
>>
Get the heaviest sumbitch she you can.
Stick er in the basement. Then get a door alarm. Job done
>>
>>32479222
Wouldn't you have to actually have a functioning garden and/or pool for it to be a plausible hiding place?
>>
>>32479185
that's a good idea with the sofa. should have lined the safe with dragon dildos like the other anon suggested.

I was doing some research and came across this company, Zanotti Armor.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

They make high quality modular safes that assemble in six pieces. Sounds ideal for an apartment
>>
>>32479222
>construct outdoor koi pond
>buy waterproof pelican case
>put guns in case
>sink in pond
>>
>>32479185
This
Also leave a shit ton of coffee stains and cigarette ash all over the cushions
>>
>>32478619
This.

I live in Baltimore City and even I'm not paranoid about people stealing my shit. I have a home security system and the alarm company stickers alone are more than enough to make sure that the niggers jack up my non-alarmed neighbors' shit instead of mine.

A basic halfway decent safe is more than enough to keep tyrone at bay. The biggest mistake we make is assuming that they are as smart as we are.
>>
>>32479326
That won't sink
>>
>>32477561
Deadbolts. Lots of them, on every door in your house. And just to be an extra salty asshole, install a fuck ton of them on a door that leads to nowhere, a hot water closet, or your wife's shoe room.
>>
I found that Stack-on gun safe at WalMart for $298. The only thing I can think of that would be cheaper than that would be a gun cabinet, but I don't feel like those are secure enough since the metal can be bent so easily that you could probably bend the door in with just your foot.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.