[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IR lasers so i shot while wearing NVGs the first time (PVS7

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: DBALI2_C1_10-1.jpg (402KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
DBALI2_C1_10-1.jpg
402KB, 1024x681px
IR lasers

so i shot while wearing NVGs the first time (PVS7 to be exact)

and it led me to the question, Why?

why do laser sights exist? they are probably more of a hindrance than a help

>can reveal your position if the guy you're fighting is wearing an NVG
>there's nothing laser can do that normal sights (Aimpoints,EOtechs) can't do
>isn't very accurate past 200 meters/yards

what edge do IR lasers give over normal sights?
>>
You can mark a target who more than likely won't have the means to see your laser for the rest of your unit to engage.

That's a pretty significant capability that you can't do with a normal laser.
>>
What is the point of bait threads if there are no (You)s to be thrown around?
or
Local teen invalidates Western NVD doctrine with this one easy trick! Find out what is making B.E. Meyers so mad.
>>
>>32474254
yeah but only works in COIN (where sandniggers and guerrillas don't wear NVGs)

if you're fighting a competent well equipped army, the moment you activate your nvg is the same moment you yell "AYY IM HERE SHOOT ME SENPAI"
>>
>>32474281
that's not an argument
>>
>>32474287
Good thing we haven't fought a competent well equipped army in over 25 years then.
>>
obviously you didnt learn fuck all while shooting with NVGs.

so while wearing your mono/binos how did you manage to aim your weapon?
>>
>>32474345
>so while wearing your mono/binos how did you manage to aim your weapon?
quite uncomfortable but i got used to it and shoot like normal now

if that's any help, i shot an AR with an EOtech strapped on it
>>
>>32474287
>yeah but only works in COIN

So it "only" works for 99% of warfare, huh.
>>
>>32474387
so while wearing this contraption on your face you managed to look down an EoKek? So did you bring the rifle to your face or face to rifle?
>>
>>32474399
can hardly explain it
basically pushed the rifle a bit forward, and up, while managing to keep my cheek very close to the stock
>>
>>32474409
and how fast could you do that? how long did it take you to deliver an accurate shot? is it longer than the 2 seconds with a laser?
>>
File: 2016-12-23 20.40.24.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-23 20.40.24.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>32474409
so what im slowly building up to here is that you now have a unstable shoot position, an awkward stance and poor aiming.

With a laser you dont have to change anything, simply turn the laser on and point n shoot.

>can bad guys with NODs see muh laser
yes
uh, aim properly

pic related. PVS-14 gen 3 NVG and ATPIAL-C laser

I've done exactly what you're poorly describing with my Aimpoint and the laser is much more better
>>
>>32474435
>and how fast could you do that?
>how long did it take you to deliver an accurate shot?
after getting used to it? same speed and accuracy as daytime shooting

> is it longer than the 2 seconds with a laser?
nope

>>32474504
>so what im slowly building up to here is that you now have a unstable shoot position, an awkward stance and poor aiming.
stance could be awkward but i'm used to it and i can shoot fast and accurate enough so i see no problem
>>
>>32474540
You guesstimating or do you have split times?
>>
>>32474550
estimations
>>
File: batman.jpg (1MB, 1920x2880px) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
1MB, 1920x2880px
>>32474540
>i can shoot fast and accurate enough so i see no problem
you think that until you actually need to shoot quick.

The fact you started a thread simply to say "why do laser sights exist? they are probably more of a hindrance than a help" is pure shit.

you need to educate yourself. Have a look at Telluric Group and their YT channel.
>>
>>32474560
john lovell's NVG videos? yes i watched them, skimmed through a couple though, very helpful about NVGs themselves but lasers not really
>>
>>32474583
ITS tactical did a Gear tasting with them as of recent. Look at that channel for info
>>
>>32474198
>I don't know you can toggle a PEQ on and off with the button on top
>>
>>32474597
the moment you turn it on the sentry with the NVG will scream RAPE and tell everyone someone's aiming at them
>>
>>32474287
Nigger, if they have night vision, the moment you STAND UP, or SHOOT, will give your position away.
>>
>>32474805
So shooting the fucker wouldn't?
>>
>>32474900
>be sentry
>"what the fuck is that? oh shit LAS-"
>other sentry
>"dude what the fuck happened oh shit one of our sentries is dead everyone get down"
>>
>>32474939
You forgot the bang and the muzzle flash in the middle there. Honestly, have you ever shot at night? Be honest
>>
>>32474984
yes, a bird cage muzzle should eliminate the flash

for the noise? just get a huge ass suppressor
>>
>>32475010
Ok let me ask this again: Have you ever shot a gun? I can't tell if this is bait or you're honestly this uninformed
>>
>>32475067
yes you dense fuck
>>
>>32475192
>a birdcage flash hider doesn't eliminate flash.
IT WAS MADE FOR THAT PURPOSE YOU DUMB FUCK

>a suppressor doesn't reduce noise all that much
YOU EVER HEARD SOMEONE FIRING A SUPPRESSED WEAPON FROM 100-200 YARDS AWAY NIGGER?

FUCK.
>>
>>32474287
They do have old NVG. Usually a group will have at least one, they just use it for scanning, obviously they don't have mounts and lasers.

Plus a lot of old phones with cameras and cameras can pick up IR incredibly well. IR strobe looks ridiculous under some of the first Nokias with cameras.

Terrorists in the ME are great scavengers. Dont underestimate their equipment capabilities.

As much as it can be a son of a bitch to fight with NV and IR, it does help a lot. Laser discipline is very important, meaning be very adamant at turning your laser off when not using.
>>
File: 2058205109.jpg (378KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
2058205109.jpg
378KB, 1600x900px
pew pew
>>
>>32475543
>100-200 yds, at night, with NVG and no laser, and a huge supressor, using an EOTECH
>hitting a person

You really never have fired a gun in your life. It's doable, but it ain't easy peasey lemon squeezey bullcockery. The fact you think both a flash hider and a suppressor makes sense in any way is astounding.

Nice cruise control.
>>
>>32476180
EOtechs can hit man sized targets up to 300 meters

it wasn't easy getting used to it, but you get used to it. maybe you should try it sometimes
>>
>>32476180
>. The fact you think both a flash hider and a suppressor makes sense in any way is astounding.
he said a flash hider OR a suppressor

you need to fix your reading comprehension anon
>>
>>32474198

Things that an IR CAN do, that normal sights CAN'T do
>Allow you to aim when using NVGs
>Allow you to use NVGs and still shoot accurately
>Allow you to use rifle when using sights is impossible (such as when wearing NVGs)
>Allow you to operate at night with a gun while wearing NVGs
>Allow you to use NVGs at night with a gun
>Allow you to use aimed fire in conjunction with NVGs

I know that no one will read or comprehend this since everything is a bait thread, but here I am railing against the futility of existence, as futile as it is, trying to make things right in a place where nothing matters to anyone, including myself.
>>
You can't use optics with night vision unless you've got the NOD on the actual gun. Plus, you don't have it always on. It is really useful for CQC as well as the laser can be used with a IR floodlight to further illuminate the target.
>>
>used PVS7
>doesn't understand how difficult it is to actually use an optic with a single tube binocular setup
Dude what
>>
>>32474311

He's from the military. Appeal to authority is the ONLY argument

Seems like western arms developments were great for fighting Iraqis and Talib an. If it had been an opponent with NV then mainstream small arms tech and doctrine would have progressed differently. Just a guess
>>
Does somebody have a video that demonstrates why its impossible (or at least very hard) to use sights with NVGs?
I tried to explain to a bunch of people but nobody seems to believe me. "But the EOTechs have an NV button on them, so it must work!"...
>>
>>32476405
you forgot you can blind people with lasers. good looking stealing someones vision with your eotech
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.