[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /k think we will see some full scale military exoskeleton

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: TALOS-vs.-MJOLNIR.jpg (88KB, 876x532px) Image search: [Google]
TALOS-vs.-MJOLNIR.jpg
88KB, 876x532px
Does /k think we will see some full scale military exoskeleton tech in our lifespan? I don't mean the HULC project, but a full on speed/ strength/decision making and augmented reality . I'm confident that IRONMAN shit does not exist yet. Does US military have some enhancing drugs that make you the perfect killing machine? Is it politically correct ?
>>
Full scale? No. Never.

Even if widely issued as standard ki5 they would only be issued to 03xx 11x MOS, which is a very very small portion of the military. 99% of military personnel would have no use for them. Even then they would cause a logistical nightmare of constant reapirs, parts, fuel, and technicians to keep them running.
>>
Honestly drones would probably replace soldiers before that became viable
>>
>>32473251
What this dude saud also with drone there are no dead bodies so politically war would be good and there might be less chance civies getting killed

Also i think there is more use for clocking technology or stealgth camouflage use then actual exo skeleton

Just send in invisible soilders they report in enemy positions and have jdam or drones drop bombs on them
>>
>>32473203
>Will Halo ever be real?
Not for a very long time.
The pentagon will eventually stop smoking crack and scale back to a more reasonable approach.
I think they've already have with drones and weapons technology.
>>
File: nobrakes.jpg (231KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
nobrakes.jpg
231KB, 863x752px
Fucking no. What is with /k/ recently? Influx of newfags. Is it winter break? Did the election bring the chans to normie notoriety again?
[SCREECHING]
>>
>>32473460
>waaaah muh normies
>trying this hard to fit in
>thinking the Mech/HALO/future soldier thread shitposts are "new"

So which CNN article brought you here?
>>
>>32473203
>>32473251
>>32473233
so no power armor?
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>32473756
Christ no, well, you'd need a big ass backpack battery that would last all of 100ft.
>>
>>32473251
front line combat drones are vulnerable in two important ways though.

1) Latency
2) communications
3) satelites (if you plan on making either of the other two useful at all)

I think drones will be important, but I think you need front line solders to maintain line of sight for laser / microwave communications and to minimize latency. And disperse command structure.

Drones may be the best argument FOR power armor.
>>
>>32476895
why not gasoline?
>>
>>32476942
Ok, you'd need a powerplant big enough and powerful enough. Maybe the size of a lawn tractor? Idk the conversion of horsies to mech movement. The engine and the tank would need to be adequately armored to prevent damage adding a lot of weight.
>>
>>32476965
ya you are probably talking about a 700lb / half ton machine, but it at least opens up viability.

I guess the next question is what is the use case of a 1000lb machine + soldier that relies on gasoline stock....

do you run them like tanks, are they are just shock / urban invasion troops? or can you run some of them viably as tankers to refuel the front?
>>
>>32477020
if they intend to function like drone C&C you could have semi-autonomous drones as tankers.
>>
I could see them being used in high risk countries for soldiers guarding embassy's. So really only robocop MP
>>
>>32477020
I'd say the 324th heavy lifting battalion. Seeing as how they wont be nimble, quick, or quiet. But you bet your ass they'll be able to lift shit a supply clerk wont be able to.
>>
>>32476895

Small fusion reactor will come before large fusion reactors, and that is going to happen pretty fucking (relatively) soon. Like, I'd be willing to bet everything I own on a major fusion breakthrough resulting in actual power output in the next 15 years.
>>
>>32477143
nimble and quick are totally possible. quiet? not with a gasoline engine for sure...

for logistics operations, turning around planes.. its almost a no brainer.
>>
>>32477187
A fully articulate suit like power armor in Fallout? What? Also, the heavier you weigh and the more you articulate the more physics fucks you. You're going to need some serious physics stoppers if you hope to achieve speeds faster than a light jog in a suit that heavy.
>>
File: Terminator T-800.jpg (404KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Terminator T-800.jpg
404KB, 1280x1024px
>>32473203

>exoskeleton

Nah, they'll just skip straight to killbots.
>>
>>32477214
>physics stoppers

I dont know what you mean by this.

The raytheon suit from like 10 years ago was nimble, articulate. Granted it was electric only, but you could make it work with a gas turbine.
>>
>>32477292
If you can make something that weighs more than 1,000lbs that stops on a dime and turns on that same dime to shoot a 3 pointer then I'll be impressed. Until then physics has reign on this plane of existence.
>>
>>32473460

threads about exoskeletons and power armor have been normal for a while man.
>>
File: latest[1].png (29KB, 718x718px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
29KB, 718x718px
Call me a sperg, but I find it more plausible that we will see warfare more like MGS4 with extensive use of PMCs instead of robot suits.
With each generation there is a larger portion of the population that just isn't fit for military service whether it's poor fitness, criminal records, or even non-regulation tattoos. Governments are more gun shy when it comes to deploying their own military and we all know what happens when you fund and train foreign rag tag militias to do your bidding.
>>
>woven carbon fiber plates with bonded ceramics

we could do this right now

the problem is cost
>>
>>32477333
This guy is right.

Add in a.i. Type armor of sorts
>>
>>32477307
I dunno that it would need to weigh more than 1000 lbs. I think 1000lbs is on the high end. A riding lawnmower is around 500.

And it doesnt need to stop on a dime, being able to accelerate from 0-30-0 in around 6-7 seconds wouuld probably be enough. It doesnt neccesarilly need to have arm mounted weapons either. Conversely the arms dont neccesarilly need to be primarilly designed for load bearing if it is for combat.

apache's dont have their cannon hooked up directly to the turbo-shaft.
>>
>>32477333

mercenaries only make sense for countries that cant afford standing armies.
>>
There's simply no need nor would it be cost effective, I could understand perhaps some SOF units or logistics using them, but your average infantryman wouldn't need it. As far as PEDs go, outside of steroids and amphetamines, I think technology has superseded the need to search for a "super-solider" serum a la Captain America.
>>
>>32477447
its the opposite, mercenaries only make sense for large empires, if their wars and foreign interventionism could become politically unpopular.
>>
>>32477457
The need would be an environment that was much more lethal, and precise than it is today. 1st generation infantry combat drones, guided bullets etc... especially urban.

I think we are two combat generations out from that. but its not impossible to imagine.
>>
>>32477446
Inertia.
>>
>>32477457
Exoskeletons have a place in the building industry and stuff like that
>>
>>32477477

that doesn't work this day in age where everything is tweeted and blogged about
>>
>>32477528
Cars can do 0-60-0 in much less than that. Granted this is not a car, the largest problem is feet have relatively small surface to generate fiction.
>>
>>32477577
which part doesnt work. mercenaries or interventionism?
US has been operating this way for 40+ years....
>>
>>32477607

using mercs instead of soldiers is already seen as incredibly shady by most people, and its not like governments can easily get away with hiring mercs without people knowing about it.
>>
>>32477630
you can hire mercs for sure, but they allow you to get around some accounting numbers. I'm not really arguing for mercs, but mercs are premium cost armies you can conscript...
>>
>>32477333
>thinks a bunch of turbospergs, junkies, fuckups and other undesirable filth
>that couldn't even make it through boot camp will make a good "mercenary" army

these mooks will get fucking slaughtered by mercenaries who actually started their careers in the military. literally meatshields and nothing else
>>
>>32478747
^so much this real troops who are not meat shields come at a premium cost for a reason. when just your kit is 30k per goof troop with Urban QRF training and other goodies are gonna drive up the cost. Then again it's better to have a meat sheild then no shield at all.
>>
>>32476942
Better yet: hydrogen fuel cells for constant low-power output supplemented by capacitors or a ~20hp hydrogen-burning microturbine for high strength/high speed bursts.
>>
>>32479491
fuel cells would help limit weight / complexity.
problems are that they are much more expensive than gas, and energy density of hydrogen is still not as good as gasoline, although they are more efficient and you can still burn it.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.