[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ how long can someone prepare for army and possibly SF training?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 21

File: xjK45.jpg (119KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
xjK45.jpg
119KB, 960x720px
/k/

how long can someone prepare for army and possibly SF training?

can someone train to the point where he finds SF courses so easy? if yes, then how for long would that training take?
>>
File: vining-2.jpg (97KB, 600x739px) Image search: [Google]
vining-2.jpg
97KB, 600x739px
>>32451993
No. There are parts of SF you CANT train for. Like tasks that are impossible to complete, shit bag team members and peer outs.
Yeah being fot will help, but does flutter kicks while wet and in a sand pit sound comfortable?
Selection isnt hard if your mind is right, even if you are not strong.
Look at Lutrell, the chubby SEAL. He made it into SEALs which is supposed to be super hard.
Vinning was never super jacked.
>>
>>32451993
SF do not have ''training''

They have selection programs. They select you after they test you. Some cut it, some dont. Its not a very good lifestyle anyway why would you want to join?
>>
>>32451993
Look a token nigger in the sf, how cuute
>>
>>32452068
Seems like some random marine that just wanted his pic taken desu
>>
>>32452011
>>32452040
not OP

what kind of workout should someone do? pure cardio?
>>
>>32452114

I would do a lot of steady state cardio (long runs) with interval training and HIIT mixed in. Personally I am running Stew Smiths 2 mile runs plan.

For muscle I do a real barebone Texas Method with bodyweight accesories. So for example on monday I do 5x5 BP and squats followed with pushups and corework. For pullups I'm doing the armstrong workout.

Basically you want an allaround balanced physique. You can't be slow but you can't be weak either. Sure SF is more mental but later you have to dig in to your headgame the better you'll propably do.
>>
>>32452114
I don't know much about any of this military stuff, but I'd suggest doing oly lifting as well as cardio. It takes longer to build strength than cardio, and if you don't need the extra muscle/bodyweight, you'll burn it off in training easily.

Rock climbing would be a good sport to take up too, and build up a strong core. HIIT like the other guy said, it's very efficient for dem cardio gainz.
>>
>>32452212
oly lifting is not an efficient way to prepare for selection

you need to be running and rucking for pretty much any sof, you need to have excellent push-ups and pull-ups, and depending on the branch you may need to have good water skills as well.

oly lifting is very technique intensive and will take away time you need to train your other skills. save it for after you get selected, if you ever end up doing it
>>
>>32452308
About rucking, is it true that walking-ruck doesn't fuck your knees up like a running/jogging ruck?

or do all rucks fuck your knees up ?
>>
>>32452011
>Like tasks that are impossible to complete
please explain
>>
>>32452368
push a building until it moves

mop rain

trim grass with your bayonet
>>
>>32452337
It's all aboot the boot but yeah, exploding knees are a side effect of rucking
>>
File: survivor.jpg (138KB, 1240x700px) Image search: [Google]
survivor.jpg
138KB, 1240x700px
>>32452011
Lutrell just has chubby cheeks
does he look chubby here? His arms are average size for a SEAL
>>
>>32452337
start off slowly I started doing cardio and backpacking with a shitty backpack, 6 miles run with 50 pounds and 4 mile runs every day and ended up with a tibia fracture because my bones hadn't had time to harden up
>>
>>32452377
>push a building until it moves
>mop rain
>trim grass with your bayonet
kek what

do drill sergeants unironically give these exercises?
how does someone respond to them
>>
>>32452377
Run to the end of a rainbow on a cloudless day

"Catching your breath"
>>
>>32452399
>exercises

They are called ''orders'' and if you want to join the military you either obey them or go to jail.
>>
>>32452377
"Fetch that leaf from that tree over there"
"No the other leaf"
"I dont like this one, get another"

And so on...
>>
>>32452411
>>32452399
>>32452377

Dubs confirm, follow the DS's instructions or you will fail
>>
>>32452011
Vining was a EOD POG

A literally nobody
>>
File: 1480181546536.jpg (3KB, 238x195px) Image search: [Google]
1480181546536.jpg
3KB, 238x195px
>>32452448
>>32452407
>>32452377
but what's the purpose of these orders?
>>
>>32451993
is that blood on his leg?
>>
>>32453056
My thoughts exactly. TF
>>
>>32453040
To follow orders.
>>
As someone who failed SFAS, no there is no way to make it "easy". Being in good shape and having a great attitude will help but as stated above a lot of it is out of your control. The program is meant to suck. Knowing something is impossible but still giving all you have is what they are looking for.
>>
>>32452163
>>32452212
>>32452308
asking for a friend

what are the adequate workouts for a guy who can't do runs/pullups/pushups for shit?
>>
of course you can train physically, but you will be pushed beyond your limits no matter what

being mentally strong is way more important than being able to lift a car or run a marathon
>>
>>32453759
Do more running, push-ups and pull ups.
>>
>>32451993
Fitness wise, someone could probably get in good enough physical shape to pass selection in 1.5 to 2 years, assuming untrained but not fat.

Fitness isn't even the biggest part though.
>>
>>32452114
Was in the military for ten years. A lot of the special operations guys aren't these huge jacked people. Most right out of selection are skinny, lean dudes.

Run, a lot, then when you're done run even more with a ruck.

The training is mental. You can be fit as you want but if you're not mentally ready or tough you'll never make it.
>>
>>32453040
They try to get you to fuck up with impossible tasks so they can punish you to see how much bullshit you can take and keep on keepin on
>>
>>32454948
>>32454312
>>32452163
i keep hearing of this "training mental thing" but i can't seem to wrap my head around it

how do they even test your mental strength? what kind of shit do they put you in?
>>
>>32454987
Deal with shit

Continue to be productive and innovative in disgusting, frustrating and undeliverable environments
>>
>>32452667
that some weak bait son
>>
>>32451993
that FDNY patch tho
>>
>>32455127
>keep on being productive and don't whine despite living in shit environment
so basically my life story? doesn't sound so bad
>>
>>32452337
Walking is much safer. Just work your way up in weight gradually and don't overdo it.
>>
>>32453276
I wouldn't say easy but there are definitely SF guys who say they knew throughout SFAS that they wouldn't quit. Sort of a combination of knowing you're physically fit enough, and knowing you're mentally hard enough, and having confidence that those things will carry you through.
>>
>>32455277
don't assume just because you're able to put up with shit urban job life or something that you'll be able to handle selection discomfort. shit like your feet feeling like they're on fire after a ruck or being sleep deprived because cadre woke everyone up doesn't really feel the same.
>>
If it's anything like the belgian selection, then a lot of guys who are physically strong will break mentally, and those who are mentally strong will break physically. Huge fucking washout rates. In the upper 90s.

You can train your physical fitness, but mentally, it's a lot harder to prepare. A good start is sorting out your motivations before you attend selection. You will be physically broken regardless of your fitness and then it's mental resistance that is all that keeps you going. If you haven't set a goal for yourself outside of "I wanna be SF", you will not make it. Be prepared for physically annoying and mentally draining tasks. They will break you. Be prepared to handle it when it happens.
>>
>>32451993

It's not possible to prepare so much that courses like Ranger School, SFAS, or BUD/S are easy. If the instructors want to smoke you, then they WILL smoke you--it's just a matter of how long it will take. You can't train your body to need less sleep, nor can you prepare yourself for being undernourished. These sorts of trials are designed to break every man down so as to expose his true character and internal drive.

That being said, it is still possible to prepare yourself so that you are set up for success. In the case of Ranger and SFAS, make sure that you are thoroughly versed in small unit tactics and basic infantry stuff. Army Field Manual 3-21.8 (the "Infantry Bible") will have most of the information you need. You should also know your way around the Ranger Handbook, but note that it is a reference document and not a manual designed to be read front-to-back.

Finally, achieve the best physical condition possible. Work out. Eat healthy. Be able to crush the APFT with a 300 on a bad day. The point is to elevate yourself physically, mentally, and tactically to the point that, when you inevitably lose performance due to fatigue and starvation, you will still be able to overcome the challenges thrown your way.
>>
>>32453759

If your friend is too weak for even bodyweight exercises, then he probably needs to use machines or he needs a good spotter introduce him to the fundamental lifts. Running can only be improved through running--the human body is literally built for long-distances, so he'll figure it out.
>>
>>32454948

For the love of God do NOT run with a ruck. It is terrible for your joints. If you want to smoke yourself with a pack on, then just start hiking up hills.
>>
>>32454987
they break you down through stress. No sleep, no food, impossible time limits, they push your body to the limit

The worst thing in the world is uncertainty and unkowingness. Its hard to explain if you havent experienced it, but it affects you so much. Like you finally get to sleep but you have no idea for how long 20 min or 6 hours. Do you get attacked during sleep? youre told to walk 20 miles to meet an agent that will tell you where to go next, do you then have to walk a few miles or maybe 40? you can deal with the task you are given, thats easy you just do what youre told, but you dont know whats next, if its double as tough and you are already feeling down

it doesnt sound of much, but i tell you its the worst feeling in the world and you will drain yourself down mentally if you keep thinking "oh god this is impossible how am i ever going to deal with whats coming next"

SF is trained to only focus on your current task and not to worry about anything else. That way you are way more calm in stressed situations and dont panic ie. taking fire. Its incredible hard to learn because you have to get pushed out there. You can never train for it yourself no matter how much you want because you will always know whats coming up
>>
>>32451993
No.

The point of SF selection is too put you under extreme mental pressure and see if you can take it. The amount of physical fitness you need is the minimum required to do the job, and also serves to test the self discapline and motivation required to even start selection.

Any 'real' (so french, uk and half rhe US ones) unit would just increase the physical requirements for those individuals who are massively ahead of what they were initially expecting.
>>
>>32452114
Use Google, you csn find a number of SAS, SEALS plans etc which are either official or wrote by those who could be considered official.

If you are already in the millitary then allow 6 months of heavy training, if in am elite unit such as Rangers, FFL or RM allow 3 and if you are a civie a full year.

By heavy I mean you need to aim for running 10 miles in an hour, being able to hike 24h+ with 50lb+ of kit non stop over varied terrain and 100+ push ups, 20+ pull ups etc.

Pure strength is useful but if you are in a position to choose either hitting the weights rack or running choose running every time.
>>
>>32455652
so some people just 'have it' and are mentally able to deal with stressful situations from birth or do you think it is something developed?

I know people as young as 18 pass SEAL training so I wonder if some people are just born tough as nails
>>
>>32453040
To teach you to take orders, to teach you to take on seemingly impossible tasks and too teach you to treat every miniscule thing you do as something than needs to be perfected. They are trying to give you the mentality the military desires.
>>
>>32455361
That's the people they are filtering for.

They want the people who can be injured, see their entire unit die and till hike 20 miles over a mountan straight into enemy territory alone In order to complete their mission.

The majority of people would give up and not be able to attempt.

It's important to remember that SF units are the ones intrusted with missions of strategic importance. They need to be able to take on extreame levels of pressure. Their mission could be the only thing preventing a lost campaign.
>>
>>32455862
I wouldn't count the SEAL's as proper SF.
>>
>>32455862
SF or the military for that sake is not for everybody, you need a strong mental health

i wouldnt say its something youre born with and i dont think its something you can learn, its just something you are. Im not a psychologist but i guess it has something to do with your background, how youre raised etc.

ie. some are born to be on a stage others a shy

ive met a few sf guys and the selection course is not like super insane from day 1, its a build up so they peel of your layers like an onion

and they have incredible well trained people watching you 24/7, your every reaction and movement. If they see something they dont like youre simply off the course
>>
File: 1482023687039.png (335KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
1482023687039.png
335KB, 600x547px
>>32455957
>>
>>32455957
What are you fucking retarded
>>
>>32455564
I personally don't agree. A lot of people think they are too weak for bodyweight exercises, especially when they have been sedentary all their lives. Oftentimes the issue is half muscular weakness, half unfamiliarity with their own bodies and the movement. They don't know what muscles to flex and they often don't even know what it feels like to push or pull with all their strength. Once they get some experience doing bodyweight movements they will make rapid progress, right up until their muscles become the limiting point again. At that point I would transition to free weights with calisthenics interspersed periodically.
>>
>>32451993
>>32452163
>>32452212
>>32452337

Before I answer your question, I want you to answer me a few:

> Can you do more than 20 pull-ups (chin over the bar) out of the blue (as if you just woke up) without any difficulty?
> Can you climb a 2 story piece of rope without using your legs?
> Can you Ruck 6 miles carrying 20% of your bodyweight with ease
> Can you Run 6 miles under an hour?
> Can you sprint 1 mile under 10 minutes?
> Can you spring 300m carrying 20% of your bodyweight?
> Can you do 50 push-ups nonstop in a fast pace?
> Can you bench press your bodyweight with ease for at least 10 reps?
> Can you squat or deadlift double your bodyweight with ease for at least 10 reps?
> Can you press your own bodyweight overhead with ease?
> Can sprint up hills with ease?
> Can you swim 600m with ease?
> Can you swim back the same distance under-water without poking your head up for air?

Answer me those, then you'll answer your own question about being prepared for SF. In the physical sense, of course. Mentally, who knows.

Also, like others have said, SF won't train you apart from physical preparation. You'll be selected. If you make it you make it, if not, well though luck.
>>
>>32451993
Its supprising how easy it is to get super fit and stronger then the average person in the street i remember stuggling doing 10 pressups and lifting 5 lb when couole of weeks later i was able to do 300 400 press ups and lift 50 kg easily

Also spec ops training seems to be easy the only hard part seems to be sleep depravatiin and trying to get aling with your team mates who knkw fuck all
>>
The hardest part of preparing yourself for selection would probably be the mental aspect. You will be tortured with obscene amounts of exercise on little-no sleep with little-no food. You will have to work with people you hate to complete tasks that are impossible to complete within the time frame given.
>>
>>32456971
This anon nailed it.

Worst part of training for any specialized unit will be sleep deprivation, food and water deprivation and a lot of mental torture.

You'll be yelled at, you'll be forced to stand in the cold, you'll be forced to stand in the sun, you'll be given bland oatmeal for food and as soon as you sit down to eat it some officer will slap it out of your hands and tell you to go for a run. You be forced to try and stay afloat in a muddy pool for hours. They'll ask you to carry heavy things over and over and over, and your on your "rest" time you'll be asked to play soccer to stay awake.

SF selection is more about what you can endure than what you are capable of doing.
>>
>>32456864
Why are the pull-ups so much harder than the other ones?

1 mile in 10 min is easy as fuck
10 reps bodyweight bench press should be easy too
the squats and deads should be easy too
the push-ups will be easy for anyone in the military who actually tries hard
but 20 pull-ups in a row is pretty hard
>>
>>32456914
you're full of shit

and what the fuck do you mean by lift 50kg? like what lift you retard?
>>
>>32455957
This.
Delta and British SAS are top tire SF. SEALs are just glorified in the pop culture.
>>
File: 1471533585467.jpg (406KB, 2282x1447px) Image search: [Google]
1471533585467.jpg
406KB, 2282x1447px
>>32456864
kek, show me a man who swims 600 meters underwater without taking a breath of air
and I will stream my suicide on twitch.
>>
>>32457339
where did he say without coming up for breath?
>>
>>32452377
I did that as a normal boot? does that make me SF?

Mopped the rain

pushed a tank out of a ditch

Dusted an old aircraft hangar with no airflow for inspection.
>>
>>32452068
Id take Any fucking chimpanzee leatherneck in firefight then you, fatass
>>
>>32457357
>> Can you swim back the same distance under-water without poking your head up for air?
>>
>>32453040
DID YOU JUST ASK ME A FUCKING QUESTION???? YOU WANNA RUN AGAIN FATBOIIIIIIIIIIIII????

>Don fall for the Lies and hype ranger school Sucks I should have went MARSOC
>>
>>32456864
>sprint 1 mile
>under 10 minutes

holy shit, kill yourself, you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>32452114
Whatever you do if your workout is easy you're doing it wrong. If you're running and you feel like quitting, run a couple more miles. If you're working strength and you feel weak push harder. The ability to push through discomfort, pain and a fucked up mental state is what's ultimately going to get you through. Also do everything without any sleep once a week. A guy I knew swore by working out with a massive hangover/ whenever sick. There's resistance training and there's mental resistance training. Do both.
>>
>>32457306
said the man who obviously knows jack shit and learnt everything he thinks he knows about SF, Delta, SAS or Seals through pop culture.
>>
>>32452040
Well yeah there's selection, but they do train and the Q course is also physically demanding. Any of the team guys that have been around for a while are going to constantly train and not have to deal with the fuck fuck games.

To answer the OP, anyone looking to do SOF of any kind should teast on the UBRR in addition to their branch's PT test and swimming if applicable. A good score is about 1300, most team guys can probably pop out around 1500.

For mental prep, specifically related to SFAS and the LRIM, I recommend The Long Walk by Slawomir Rawicz, a WWII Polish POW that escaped a Siberian Gulag and made his way to India, crossing the Gobi and Himalayas.

https://www.refactortactical.com/blog/special-forces-pt-test-upper-body-round-robin/
>>
File: 9563645772425.png (6KB, 200x231px) Image search: [Google]
9563645772425.png
6KB, 200x231px
>>32451993
>can someone train to the point where he finds SF courses so easy?
Ha, no.
>if yes, then how for long would that training take?
It's a roughly 2 year pipeline assuming the stars align in your favor and Murphy doesn't fuck you up.

>>32452040
>SF do not have ''training''
Ha, no. SFAS is 2 weeks and only the very beginning.

Picture related.
>>
>>32453276
So... how come you failed?
>>
File: 547354657475467.jpg (39KB, 444x600px) Image search: [Google]
547354657475467.jpg
39KB, 444x600px
>>32457687
Involuntary withdrawal(hurt), VW(I quit), peer evals(he's a dick head), non-select(not what they're looking for). These are the four main reasons one fails SFAS.
>>
>>32451993
Accept that you are never, ever done. No task is ever finished. No goal is ever fully reached. There is always more. You must pace yourself while simultaneously bearing dead ahead at full speed. If you stop, you die, and NOTHING is worse than death.
>>
>>32455862
What's the name of that guy, that fucking guy, he joined the army at like 17 because he met two Marines in a bar. Then he went sf, then retired an officer and was riding horses around afghan desert doing spooky shit for the CIA until he was like 60. You look at that old bastard and he looks made of iron. Some people really are just that tough. Bill or billy somebody? Think he wrote a book after.
>>
>>32457715
Well, other than dying those are really the only options.
>>
>>32457752
billy waugh
you're forgetting the part where he was a MACV-SOG guy while in SF. His team was the first in history to conduct a combat HALO jump.
>>
File: copperheadnest.jpg (268KB, 1920x1220px) Image search: [Google]
copperheadnest.jpg
268KB, 1920x1220px
>>32457812
Well yeah, death has been the case on a few occasions as well.

Picture related. Don't tread on them.
>>
>>32457495
That's pretty easily doable, I've done 1.5miles in just over 10 minutes and I wasn't top of my class, and that class wasn't even SF
>>
>>32457856
i think the point he was making was that it's too easy
which i agree with, pretty sure the official prep materials for BUD/S and SFAS all ask for something more like a 9 min 1.5 mile or a 12 minute 2 mile.
>>
>>32457856
>>32457936
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. The APFT minimum in basic is like 8:15 pacing or something. You don't max out until 13 min for 2 miles, but better is optimal.
>>
>>32452399
>how does someone respond to them

"Yes drill sergeant"
>>
File: 1471860144906.gif (358KB, 280x198px) Image search: [Google]
1471860144906.gif
358KB, 280x198px
>>32452368
not him, but when impossible tasks means that the instructors fuck with your mind. I got booted out of ranger twice while in NY and I'm reasonably fit. I think the best thing you can train besides your body is your mind. Its hard, grueling labor that requires a special attitude. Most SF dudes are b personalities.
>>
File: 1472433293553.jpg (50KB, 338x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472433293553.jpg
50KB, 338x480px
>>32455576
Tell that to the Infantry. I lost so much good cartilage on my knees.
>>
If you have to ask, you probably can't hang. The idea of joining elite units helps recruiters fill the vast majority of the military positions which are not only not elite, but pretty much a life of (sometimes satisfying) drudgery.

I can speak to sleep dep being amazingly bad. I have it from chronic pain and drugs are insufficient. As a result I'm used to sleep deprivation over many years and can give informed advice.

Micro-sleeps occur during extreme fatigue. They are the most distracting part of fatigue because they interrupt flow of thought. They WILL happen so experiment with lack of sleep and practice tasks when you are very, very tired. I mean so tired you literally want to weep from frustration. You'll need a few days off for this to work your ass off without truly restful sleep and to recover. You should have a system that is not complex to snap awake sufficiently to REcheck what you do, where you are etc in a military context.

"Shit, where was I?" is no joke when that reaction is from extreme sleep deprivation. I have a very, stable and controlled personality. I don't know what someone emotional or high-strung would do and I'm glad not to be that guy.

When I said "weep from frustration" I wasn't exaggerating. That's when to take a breath and THINK.

Fatigue and sleep studies are worth reading, but my advice is to experience extreme fatigue before you have military taskings added. It will still suck in ways beyond written description, but you won't be SURPRISED.
>>
inb4 post about navy seal that started training for his career when he was 13
>>
If I ever attempted special forces, I'd likely get kicked out for laughing too much.
>>
>>32454987
Example: 15 mile ruck, transport waiting to pick you up at the end.

Oops, transport schedule got screwed up. So now you have to ruck to the motorpool to meet the trucks there. That's another 10 miles. You get to the motor pool, to find out that your rations were loaded on the trucks and delivered to the original pick up point. Where the trucks will be waiting for 3 hours.

And so on. It's just a test of your breaking point and adaptability. Are you going to give up, or are you going to adjust and keep on keeping on? Do you quit when shit gets impossible, or do you keep trying solutions and looking for options?

They want people with a test pilot mentality. Listen to recordings of test pilots who died. They're augering in from 15K feet, in a broken plane that's totally out of control, and they're still trying everything they can think of to pull it out. More importantly, they're narrating every step so maybe the next guy has a better chance. And never giving up.
>>
File: marsoc0520.jpg (295KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
marsoc0520.jpg
295KB, 2048x1536px
I just want to not shave and wear a Slayer t shirt while operating. Is Civil Affairs/PSYOP's the lite route into Special Operations type stuff?
>>
>>32459542
not really
if your reasons for going CA is to be cool you're in for a hell of a wake up call.
>>
>>32459575
More join for hearts and minds? helping niggers build wells in Africa and that shit?
>>
>>32459600
just that there's nothing really that cool guy about CA. If you want to be respected as a CA guy you need to know your damn lane and be the best fucking CA guy out there, not an operator wannabe. Tying to act like you're a triggerpuller will not earn you any respect.
>>
>>32459639
What job(s) will allow you to not have to shave often and wear comfy shit? Don't feel like going to grad school nor do I want to get a 9-5
>>
>>32459656
NEET
>>
>>32451993
>how long can someone prepare for army and possibly SF training?
A year is plenty.

>can someone train to the point where he finds SF courses so easy?
No, if it is easy you are not helping your teammates enough. (Unless it is an individual assessment stage)

>>32459600
Some people like challenging themselves to breaking point. It isn't something you ask /k/ about, you just decide that you are going to be special forces, and you do. Or you don't. But you try again until you do. You have the benefit of doing US selection, in other countries it is actually hard.
>>
>>32459687
>You have the benefit of doing US selection, in other countries it is actually hard.
b8
>>
>>32459681
After this semester, possibly. I have a job currently, but it's just a shitty job until grad this summer. Being Asian I have to go to law or graduate school or deep shit.
>>
>>32459696
No, in other countries they don't have 9999999 special force units to fill.

Manning requirements > Candidate quality

This applies in every employed position around the world.
>>
>>32459758
but the US is bigger population wise anyways?
>>
>>32454987
Same guy you answered that was in 10 years.

Dude there is no way to know what your mental breaking point is. You'll either be able to handle it or you won't. I don't think there is any other way of putting that.
>>
File: short card.jpg (89KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
short card.jpg
89KB, 736x981px
No access to a gym? Busy schedule? Then let me introduce you to the short card!

Anyone can spend less than 30 minutes on this with some stretching and a warm-up/cool-down. If you want to make it more complete add some mileage or sprints. There is also a long card, for well, a longer workout. It can also be a great gauge on your fitness level, if you can wrap it up in under 15 minutes you're above average. *all exercises are 4-count except for star jumpers/jumping jacks*

R E C O N
E
C
O
N
>>
>>32460195
very interesting
>>
File: brc prep.jpg (203KB, 1005x634px) Image search: [Google]
brc prep.jpg
203KB, 1005x634px
>>32460195
and here's the complete plan directly from the Reconnaissance Training Company. You can find the whole BRPC/BRC resource packets on the .mil site.

(I know the matrix looks wonky, they did it on word without a table, just correlate the columns with the days of the week appropriately.)
>>
File: marsoc long card.jpg (85KB, 377x513px) Image search: [Google]
marsoc long card.jpg
85KB, 377x513px
>>32460195
>>32460384
and the long card, the second number denotes the count.

Fair winds and following seas gents.
>>
Good thread
>>
>>32452337
walking is much safer
>>
>>32459687
>A year is plenty.

Would someone be ready after IBOLC, Ranger School, and 4 years of being an Infantry LT?
>>
>>32460873
possibly but not necessarily

depends on how fit you are especially if you lost a lot of mass after ranger school
>>
>>32452399
"Yes sir"
>>
>>32460195
is this really effective?
>>
>>32453759
Google 'couch to 5k'
>>
File: IMG_2535.jpg (110KB, 784x608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2535.jpg
110KB, 784x608px
>>32461627
Try it and find out, it's basically crossfit without the memes. Add in cardio, some rucks, then double it up or increase reps and you'll get a better base for most selections than being purely in the gym.
>>
>>32458042
>>32455576
why does the infantry keep sticking to run-rucks despite them fucking your knees?
>>
File: 1462038605237.png (37KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1462038605237.png
37KB, 240x240px
>>32458024
>>32452377
>>32457362
>>32452459
and the best way to deal with these tasks is to simply suck it up and try your best to do them?
>>
>>32452011
you have never seen vinnings legs have you?
>>
>>32461727
>crossfit
You've never been to the gym in your life, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>32455862
You can always invent a mind personality to constantly to come up with silly expectations and orders. That may help you prepare
>>
>>32456864
>>Can you Run 6 miles under an hour?
>> Can you sprint 1 mile under 10 minutes?

This the same requirement you silly goose
>>
>>32458048
As a nightshifter, I can confirm that lack of sleep sucks, especially during the 1:30-4:30 am. Period. A 7 minute nap will work wonders. Personally, I begin to hallucinate when forcing myself to wake up from sleeping whilst working. It's actually kinda interesting.

As for advice, you just have to be determined.
>>
>>32452385
This
Think Lutrell said he was 168 or 178lbs during Operation Red Wings
>>
>>32452399
"Yes, sir"
>>
>>32462240
but running at a given pace for a longer distance is harder, retard
>>
>>32460499
thanks for the info
checked
>>
>>32462271
>6'4
>180lbs

I'm gonna pay you 100$ to fuck right off
>>
File: Navy.jpg (87KB, 700x464px) Image search: [Google]
Navy.jpg
87KB, 700x464px
>>32451993

OP, these workouts are phenomenal.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B11F7e9MXvzyOURUVHcyb0NQUW8?usp=sharing

They are HIIT work outs which is military-workouts 101.

I did one of these 6 times a week for a month and I was able to score a near-perfect APFT after not working out for months before. Only thing I was short on was sit-ups, so I would add in some core workouts in the mix.
>>
>>32455434
>sorting out your motivations before you attend selection
You don't need to have any particular goal in mind to make it. You just have to never even consider giving up as an option.
>>
I know it's stupid to attempt to prepare for SF training, but I'd like to reach a decent level before asking a recruiter for a 18X or similar.

How many pushups, situps and pullups should I be able to do at a minimum?
How about cardio?
Is swimming important? I'm a very bad swimmer.
>>
>>32464670
Army SF doesn't have a huge emphasis on swimming in the initial training, but if you get assigned to a dive team you might need to learn quick. Rucking and cardio is the most important, scroll up for the upper body post to see a good base of where you should be on calisthenics.
>>
>>32464765
Thanks.
>>
>>32452399
>push that building until it moves
"Yes, Drill Sergeant"
>where the fuck do you think you're going, maggot?!
"I'm going to push the building until it moves, Drill Sergeant"
>do you need your eyes checked? The building I ordered you to push is that way!
"Yes, Drill Sergeant, but the high explosives are in the armory over there"
>>
>>32464886
imagine if someone actually pulled this off

>blow building and move the rubble to whatever your DI orders

what would his reaction be?
>>
>>32465030
>can you explain to the jag why, exactly, you saw fit to steal... one hundred kilograms of c4 and, I believe I'm quoting the quartermaster in charge at the time, 'blow those inbred REMFs right out of their bunks'?
Sir, I requisitioned those explosives under the Drill Sergeant's orders.
>and, for the record, those orders were?
Sir, this maggot was to push the building until it moved, Sir.
>and you used those orders to fraudulently requisition explosives?
Sir, it was not fraudulent; I needed a bigger push, Sir.
>and this seemed reasonable to you, Private?
Sir, orders are orders.
>>
>>32462283
but if you can run 6 miles in an hour you 100% absolutely can run 1 mile in 10 minutes so mentioning it separately is 100% redundant
>>
>>32458024
>Most SF dudes are b personalities
Completely false.
>>
>>32458024
>Ranger
>NY

Yeah, you're full of shit.
>>
What are the differences between the operations special forces carry out and truly clandestine/covert ops that CIA SAD handles? Aside from the obvious "one is military, the other is civilian"
>>
File: 03iht-edheng03-jumbo.gif (215KB, 1024x726px) Image search: [Google]
03iht-edheng03-jumbo.gif
215KB, 1024x726px
>>32465924
One pulls triggers, the other pulls bands.
>>
>>32452114
MARSOC has a pretty good program they recommed for people going to A&S. I think it ends in a 12 mile ruck run in like 3 hours minimum. I'm sure other SOF have their programs.
>>
>>32452040
Since you can be an actual Commando instead of a /k/ommando?
>>
>>32457681
It's 3 weeks old timer...
>>
>>32457812
Ivw and non select are far from options
>>
File: 1455767566306.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1455767566306.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
>train all your life to be SF
>finally make it
>get shipped out
>im SF ayyy
>get shot in the back by a dirtfarmer using a 60 year old AK
>>
What's a reasonable time frame if I was just a skellington to make if into decent shape for something like this? 3-6 months? I see some of the plans are only like 10 weeks and start off pretty gradual but taper way fast. Maybe spend like 2-3 weeks on the basics first?
>>
>>32451993
There are two things that will make your life easier if you plan on doing this. Start conditioning yourself to work on less sleep and CARDIO. RUN every day and push yourself. That will give you a huge edge over a lot of other people.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.