[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Over the holidays I reinstalled Battlefield Vietnam and after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

Over the holidays I reinstalled Battlefield Vietnam and after playing a few of the SOG missions I thought, "man, I kind of want a Smith and Wesson model 19" after watching a hikcock45 video I've decided I REALLY want a Smith and Wesson model 19. I've never owned a wheelgun before, is this a good first one? how much is a good price to pay for one?
>>
File: 1411445752190.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
1411445752190.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>32448145
I have a model 29 (.44 mag)
It was expensive but so, so fun to shoot.

For a beginner revolver I'd recommend a heritage rough rider .22 or a j-frame. Would be a bit cheaper to shoot.
>>
>>32448203
If I was going to get a revolver it would be to shoot something more powerful than my glock. I like the idea of being able to shoot .357 or .38 special too.

I just want something that gives me a huge 70s boner. Something that if I were forced to pull it on someoned I'd also be forced to say "back up turkey, or you are gonna be takin a one way trip to trouble town sucka!"
>>
The Model 19 is a masterpiece. It's accurate, has better balance in the hand than the L-frames that succeeded it, and it's extremely aesthetic. Furthermore, holsters and accessories for it are, even now, incredibly commonplace and inexpensive due to the Model 19 having been one of the go-to police guns for several decades.

There are three things of which you should be aware though:

1.) Model 19s are not cheap. Unless you get extremely lucky, you are not going to score one that hasn't been run hard for below $500. One that is in good shape both mechanically and cosmetically is going to cost you at least $650 out the door.

2.) Model 19s were not built to shoot Magnums constantly. The intended usage schedule with the 19 was mostly .38 Specials for practice with 158 grain .357s for carry and occasional use. The result is that continuous use of hot 125 grain Magnums (ie the kind that achieved the reputation for being a manstopper) on a Model 19 will eventually cause the forcing cone to crack/the frame to stretch.

3.) Smith and Wesson made a stainless version of the 19 called the Model 66. It's a lot easier to care for as it is not blued.

If you want to avoid some of the problems mentioned above, you should look into the current production Model 66s. The current Model 66s can be had for ~$680, which is only marginally more than a 19 that's been shot a fair amount. Furthermore, Smith and Wesson has substantially improved the durability of the new Model 66 (thicker forcing cone, much much stronger lockup) so that it can actually handle regular Magnum use without eventually failing. I would highly recommend considering it over an old 19 if your prerogative is having a good time shooting as opposed to just collection.
>>
>>32448435
>old 357 k frames having cracked forcing cones

Wish this meme would die. In 7 years of working as a gunsmith working on mostly revolvers, I can in fact tell you that I've only seen one cracked forcing cone on a k frame and it was due to a double charged reload. These guns do not have issues with the forcing cones. And if they do, then they're lemons.

Don't let this "shoot .38, carry .357" meme scare you. Shooting only 357 out of a model 19 or 66, (or 65 or a 13) will not give you any issues at all and will outlast you.

t. Licensed gunsmith since I was 23
>>
>>32448607
If there are any issues with it I'm probably too poor to feed it a constant enough diet of .357 to notice it.

680 for a nice revolver is about what I'd expect to pay though, certainly beats a colt python in terms of price
>>
>>32448145
That's the best wheelgun in my opinion OP. I used to have a snubby but I sold it. Been wanting another 19 since
>>
Does any modern military issue a revolver for any reason?
>>
>>32448435
I wonder why S&W won't reintroduce the Model 19 again.
>>
>>32448649
USAF still uses the Model 15 in .38 Special. (Model 10 w/ adjustable sights)
>>
>>32448649
The GIGN used the MR73, which is probably the best combat revolver ever made. They might still use it even today.

The Smith and Wesson R8 was supposedly developed at the behest of the LAPD SWAT team.

>>32448622
If the 66 is within your price range, I would highly suggest looking up a stocking dealer in your area so that you can look one over and see if it's to your liking. There's actually a new variant of the 66 that's going to hit shelves soon that have a 2.75 inch barrel and full ejector rod, if you were thinking about possibly carrying it.
>>
>>32448776
Yes, the MR 73 is still being made and used. They just haven't had an importer since 1998.
>>
>>32448670
No they don't.
>>
>>32448821
I thought they had like 25 different models of handguns in their inventory?
>>
>>32448145
battlefield vietnam has singleplayer?
>>
>>32448670
>>32448826
That was before the implementation of the JSSAP program in the 80s. They standardized on the M9 like all the other branches.
>>
>>32448776
Not really into snubbies. This would mostly be a range toy so I probably want a 6 inch barrel.

>>32448829
you can play with the AI on. I like to ramp off the difficulty and the AI numbers, find a nice spot and mow down as many gooks as I can with an M60 before getting killed
>>
File: Model 66.jpg (151KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Model 66.jpg
151KB, 1024x576px
>>32448904
Longer barrel variants usually go for less than shorter barrel variants of the same gun, but I'm not sure that's the case for the K-frames. I think the 6 inch Ks are less common, since most of the people who wanted a revolver with a 6 inch barrel tended to gravitate towards bigger ones like the Model 27.
>>
>>32448826
You thought wrong. My sister has been in the air force for 9 years and is a pj. She carries an m9.
>>
>>32448904
Fuck a model 19. Get a model 27 or 28. Big n frame 357. Can shoot all day.
>>
>>32448203
As someone whose first revolver was a S&W 29-3, I recommend everyone start with a .44 magnum. If you want to actually carry the thing, then maybe a .357 or .327 Federal small boy.
>>
>>32450919
They are beautiful guns.
>>
File: Oploplopl.jpg (106KB, 700x377px) Image search: [Google]
Oploplopl.jpg
106KB, 700x377px
>>32448435
What makes them better than the later model 29 or the earlier model 10?
>>
>>32451904
The Model 29 is a huge .44 Magnum. It is awesome, but it is probably impossible for most people to actually conceal and is generally impractical for most situations that don't involve defending yourself from bears.

The Model 10 is .38 special only (I don't consider this a problem, but many others do), and older examples from before the 70s aren't rated for +P use. The Model 10 is still a great gun though, considering that they are reliable, well-made, and much more easily obtainable at a good price than any gun that shoots .357 made by a company that isn't Saturday Night Special-tier. Just look for some police trade-ins that weren't used as hammers.
>>
>>32451965
Thanks anon, ive been looking to get a revolver and its been surprisingly confusing especially since most people recommend older guns over modern/current models
>>
>>32451984
>most people recommend older guns over modern/current models

That's a combination of half-truths, fuddlore, and the people making the recommendations being focused on collecting rather than shooting.

Modern Smith and Wesson does have some problems that show up from time-to-time, like new bluing that doesn't stand up to Hoppe's use, or weak finishes on some of the alloy guns, or sloppy assembly by rookies who got hired during the Obama years, or the possibility of getting a gun with a canted barrel on any of the revolvers that have one-piece barrel designs. Overall though? The guns they are making today are definitely better than the ones they were making in the 70s and 80s, and modern Smith and Wesson does an excellent job of standing behind their warranty. If something is wrong and it's not the result of the end user doing stupid things to his gun, they will fix it for you at no cost.
>>
>>32448435
>suggesting a new production S&W with shitty side hole lock

ew no thanks, i will keep boycotting their current production until they listen to their customers
>>
File: 0072.jpg (4MB, 3527x2272px) Image search: [Google]
0072.jpg
4MB, 3527x2272px
>>32452024
So something like the 627 pictured would be as a general rule better or at least comparable?
>>
I am also itching for a revolver. I only like the older smiths though. This place near me has a pencil barrel model 10 for $350. What do you think /k?
>>
>>32448607
>>32448435
The k-frame 357s can shoot as many 357 magnums as you want, it's the lighter bullets that destroy it quickly though
>>
>>32451904
Old smith's have better hammers and triggers because they're forged, not made in molds.

Also:
>mim
>hillary hole
>canted barrels
>10+ lb triggers out of the box
>rusting hammers and triggers

Old smith's have none of these issues
>>
>>32452193
Dildo grip
>>
File: ompDU-1.jpg (677KB, 2749x1840px) Image search: [Google]
ompDU-1.jpg
677KB, 2749x1840px
>>32448145
There is no better wheel gun than the Model 19.
>>
>>32452193
The new 627 would be better. The old Model 27s held 6 shots; the 627 holds 8. Furthermore, the 627 is stainless, which means it's much less of a pain to properly maintain it. My only advice if you were to get one would be to make sure you inspect it closely before accepting delivery to make sure it has no issues.
>>
>>32452076
Don't be a bitch S&W has been doing the lock for 16 years and they haven't said they're going to stop anytime soon.

If the possibility of a rare mechanical malfunction isn't your thing then just remove it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.