[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe kind of stupid question: Why arnt semi auto crossbows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: chinese_crossbow.jpg (34KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
chinese_crossbow.jpg
34KB, 650x366px
Maybe kind of stupid question:

Why arnt semi auto crossbows a thing in 3rd world wars or atleast with criminals and terrorists.
I get that crossbows are a pain in the ass to reload but with pic related you could fire atleast as fast as a shotgun.

other pros would be:
>(relatively) silent
>good armor/cover piercing
>can be used with explosives for a poor mans rpg
>legal even in europoor states
>easy to make/maintain/use

There must be some huge drawback i'm not aware of because i've literally never seen them used in this or the last century.
>>
>>32444043
>crossbows
>semi-auto
?
>>
>>32444043
Because AKs are available
>>
>>32444043
Think about it. What would cycle the action to draw your string back again?
>>
>>32444043
Maybe you should lay off the fantasy video games.
>>
major bong is pissed you made such a stupid fucking thread
>>
>>32444043
Because guns exist dumbass
>>
>>32444079
>>32444094
>>32444096
You guys realise Chu ko nu exist right? Op even has a pic. These are a real thing.

>>32444043
The main downside is that they have a very light draw a poor range and lethality. Better to use a standard bow or crossbow and shoot from farther away and be more likely to kill something you hit.
>>
>>32444128
>These are a real thing.
Down's syndrome is a real thing too.
>>
>>32444135
You sure? You didnt know these crossbows existed a second ago lol you better double check
>>
>>32444142
I knew they existed, what op says is still fucking retarded regardless.
Read his post again.
>>
>>32444150
have you ever handled a crossbow?
>>
File: beavis.jpg (197KB, 640x480px)
beavis.jpg
197KB, 640x480px
>>32444117
>Bong
>>
>>32444159
You dense motherfucker.

>you could fire atleast as fast as a shotgun.
>good armor/cover piercing
Tell me with a straight face that those points aren't completely stupid.
>>
>>32444094
the string would bounce back into place. newtons laws.
>>
>>32444173
Semi auto and full auto shotguns are a thing
>>
>>32444188
Exactly.
>>
>>32444188
>>32444194
And you can load them with explosives, for a poor mans rpg.
>>
>>32444211
Op stawp
>>
>>32444128
It's still manually operated, not semi auto.
>>
>>32444211
or pencils, if you run low on ammo
>>
File: gutsbow.jpg (175KB, 706x1024px)
gutsbow.jpg
175KB, 706x1024px
because you arent Guts
>>
File: Helsing.jpg (24KB, 512x186px)
Helsing.jpg
24KB, 512x186px
>wanting a semi auto crossbow instead of the Helsing
>>
>>32444173
look i will tell you guidelines how to figure out if its stupid or not

first - get an idea

:check for real life counterparts

- you have found some - idea is not stupid at all
- you found some historical ones idea is not stupid just obsolete

- you found none or something similar/extreme fridge
- is the tech new ?
yes - maybe not be stupid but be to complex, lack tech or have not realistic applications
no - well maybe there is a reason why rest of their world is not using it then eh ?

maybe that certain concept is reemerging fro the past just infused with current tech/materials/ got new roles to fill, like gatling guns, various drone airflow and propulsion designs?

may as well be but i am damn sure some fuck on chinese cartoon board is not on one of those concepts
>>
>>32444281
>current year
>being on meth
>>
>>32444233
It's an inbetween really because the action of reloading and action of firing are accomplished with the same action.

But the semi auto metaphor is valid if you substitute 'one bullet fired per trigger pull' with 'one bolt fired per lever crank'
>>
>>32444298
>one bullet fired per trigger pul

this doesn't make gun an semiauto
>>
I crossbow hunt, so I'll give my 2 cent.
> First off youd want at least a 120lb draw to be effective, which would be a nightmare with a Simi automatic draw. That's you pumping 120lbs of force every round.
> second they're pretty Big and encomberson, the crossbow itself as well as carrying 6 bolts would be about the same as carring two 30 round mags.
> lots of maitnence, you have to keep your rail and string well waxed or else you snap a string, I would be Pretty doubtful about keeping one clean in a real combat situation.
> the ballistics. Bolts move much slower in comparison to bullets. If you where far enough away and paying attention you could strait up dodge a bolt. Not to mention, if you're shooting anything that's further then 10m away if, you would need to compesate for windage and drop, as well as the weight of your bolt, witch takes a fair amount of skill, and we're not even trying to hit moving targets.
The crossbow is an excellent weapon with many advantages, but none in modern combat Unfortuantly.
>>
File: 1482262435780s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px)
1482262435780s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>32444043
>>
i read somewhere that special forces in vietnam were taught to use bows to kill sentries silently.
>>
>>32444313
Hence 'metaphor'
>>
>>good armor/cover piercing

Sure, compared to a thrown paper airplane it's a very good penetrator.

It's meant to fire a sharpened chopstick. Any worthwhile amount of explosives and you'd get better range out of just tossing the charge on your own.

>legal even in europoor states

Not even all of the US has the same gun laws, what the fuck makes you think all of Europe is the same here, were you raised on Flint tap water?

>easy to make/maintain/use

Sure, if you're a carpenter.
>>
>>32444043
noguns places have crossbow regs generally
>>
>>32444043
Crossbow is harder to make than a proper bow. It would never fire as fast and as far as a bolt-action or any proper gun with a magazine. It lacks the power of a smoothbore muzzleloader. It lacks the distance as a silent gun (even during WWII Big Joe crossbows were inferior to the rest of bigger-than-pistol silent weapon).
If you want to check the info on third-worlders using ancient weaponry, watch for Afghanistan's tribals waving their flintlocks and Naxalites chasing the police with bows and agricultural equipment
>>
Because a hail of 7.62 would continuously be flying over your head while you were ducked behind a wall (hopefully) thick enough to give you cover while you reload your crossbow.
>>
>>32444263
>yfw crazy german slingshot guy has this in the works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d83IOGGEDWA
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.