[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what have guns done for you, outside of shooting? It got me,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: 1461930015878.jpg (390KB, 1311x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1461930015878.jpg
390KB, 1311x1040px
what have guns done for you, outside of shooting?

It got me, someone who never really had any tools or much use of tools, into finally having a drill, dremel, light benchvice, small collection of wrenches, punches, knives and sharpening stones.
Now I want to shop for an axe, just to learn and have an axe on hand.
>>
>>32443046
Get a husqvarna multipurpose axe or as it was called when I got it forest axe, if you can't afford a wetterlings or gransfors bruks.

Or be a True American™ and hang a old vintage axe head on a new handle. Regardless you'll need some linseed oil and some wax.

But not much, I've hunt squirrel with my .22 but besides that not much has changed since I got into guns.
>>
File: 1480287267479m.jpg (98KB, 1024x848px) Image search: [Google]
1480287267479m.jpg
98KB, 1024x848px
Made me quit wasting my life on video games because I couldn't afford both. Got me out of my NEETcave and into the real world.
Freed me from liberal indoctrination as a whole. Getting off autismbux also helped me see what a cancer it is.
Turned my relationship chances from slim to subzero, freeing up a lot of money in the long run.

I wouldn't say they made my life good but it is less bad.
>>
File: sn.jpg (86KB, 669x509px) Image search: [Google]
sn.jpg
86KB, 669x509px
>>32443066
Well, while I did just put down some cash to complete my AR, I am eyeing that Hults Bruk Akka for $160.
I wouldn't really mind going for the Husqvarna multipurpose since at $60, I can have a bit of breathing room if I don't continue to use the axe a lot in the future, but there's been a good few reviews on amazon where the axe blade just broke off at nearly the exact same place (Husqvarna logo).

Would it matter for someone who might not be putting that axe to serious work? Probably not, but that same location of issues really doesn't sit well.
>>
File: 1226161541.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1226161541.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>32443233
Pic related is my axe that I've had for a year now. I've been using it fairly often, once a week or so, it's held up fine for me. The crack next to the mark isn't because of the mark itself, but because that is the quench line of most axes. The differential cooling and thus differing crystal structures of the bit and the poll causes stress within the metal, and it seems that husqvarna isn't quite on par with the actual makers of those axes (hultsfors bruk) when it comes to that so some are having problems.

The steel is okay, nothing to write home about but works just fine.
>>
File: 1226161542.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1226161542.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>32445639
Optionally if you decide to get it you can thin the bit for better penetration, but given husqvarna's sketchy heat treat that might weaken it, it's up to you really. I made my bit slightly convex so it's more suited to the hardwoods where I live. Overall it's a very good axe and inexpensive, I highly recommend it personally.
>>
File: 1226161542a.jpg (2MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1226161542a.jpg
2MB, 2048x1350px
>>32445659
>>32445639
Ignore the scar, and yes I realize this isn't so much /k/ as it is /out/.

Now you may be wondering how husqvarna sells these hand forged axes so cheaply, well frankly because it's missing the small details. The grain of the axe handle is running at 45 degrees, which is the absolute max you should tolerate. There's a small gap in the front of the eye when seen from the bottom, and the axe came with a split wedge due to the metal circle wedge put in on top, I had to pound it in as the handle was slightly loose.

It's been 2 months since I added a coat of linseed oil, I aught to add another. Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year for the rest of time.
>>
>>32445639
hultafors* bruk, whoops. sage because minor correction.
>>
>>32443046
I know that feel, my tools have started coming together for gun pursuits. Got a decent torque wrench for christmas yasa
>>
File: commies get out.png (1MB, 1596x1074px) Image search: [Google]
commies get out.png
1MB, 1596x1074px
>>32443046
I have a much better understanding of the law in general and gun laws are the one type of law I dont fuck with because of extreme the punishments tend to be.
>>
Axe I made a few years ago. Was a fun little 3 day project and I got a nice tool out of it. I don't think it looks to bad either tbqh.
>>
>>32445698
>>32445659
>>32445639
Thanks for the educational posts. I'll keep researching.
Just curious, if I cant find a big enough block or theres no tree stumps around for splitting work, is there some substitute?
>>
>>32446371
I use a horizontally grained board, as thick as possible, Axes barely penetrate if swung directly into the side of the tree as I'm sure you know.
>>
>>32443046
>Now I want to shop for an axe, just to learn and have an axe on hand.
#1: Go on eBay and shop around for an old Collins. Don't overpay and don't buy one with the ears (corners) worn off.

#2: Go to Amazon and buy a copy of The Axe Book and a Lanksy sharpening puck.

For under a hundred bucks you'll have an heirloom quality tool and the knowledge to use it.
>>
>>32446501
Most modern axes aren't felling axes. Look around for an old Jersey pattern head.
>>
Got me to stop doing drugs, because I was not okay with owning/carrying guns while not sober, and I was also not okay with not owning/carrying guns.
>>
Got me into reloading, got me into hunting which got me into the other shit involved with that (skinning, processing game etc.), more time /out/ and helped me bond with brothers and kids alike. I've also used my knowledge to get others into guns and reloading and I may soon get into a side business involving shooting sports.
>>
>>32446566
Already got a virginia pattern, still doesn't cut directly into horizontal grain. Wood just is extremely hard to cut like that, nigh impossible due to grain running up and down.
>>
Got some friends and my operator fantasies motivate me to exercise
>>
Got me exercising and eating better, trying to lose weight

I was, and still am fat. I looked at myself about 5 months ago and realized I am that stereotypical fat gun owner people love to laugh at, so I'm trying to fix that.
Started at around 300 pounds and now I'm down to 270, I could probably have lost more but at least I'm losing it
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.