[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, talk to me about the Remington 700 and the .260 cartridge.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: remington70065.jpg (5KB, 346x146px) Image search: [Google]
remington70065.jpg
5KB, 346x146px
Hey /k/, talk to me about the Remington 700 and the .260 cartridge.
Just got one today and it's my very first rifle. Not my first gun at all, I've got over a dozen hand guns, but now I'm thinking I'm gonna be getting into some longer range stuff.

Just to start out with, some information on hand loads would be great. There's a lot of information out there and I'd love your guys' opinions.

Also, recommendations for glass? Brands to avoid or stick with?

This next question I could find with a google search but since I'm making a thread anyway, what kind of range can I expect out of this? I hear 500 yards is pushing it a little bit unless you're pretty good with the hand loads.

tl;dr handgun enthusiast just got a Remington 700, help babby be a good long range shooter.
>>
>>32441824
Is that one of the bastards with the triangular barrel?
>>
>>32441824
swfa makes good ones, primary arms are good, nikon are good, for the sub 500 market. If you want to spend a bit more, vortex is good. Spend anything more than 500, and you are in super upper tier shit. Think going from a rock river arms 2 stage trigger and switiching to a 3 gun geissele super 2 stage trigger.

Avoid getting anything with a BDC reticle. To start you off try and find a nice mildot reticle. Thats the easier option to figure out long range.
>>
>>32441847

Indeed.

>>32441892

Good stuff, thanks a lot anon I really appreciate it. Right around $500 is what I was looking to spend (I may be new to rifles but I know glass isn't cheap), maybe a couple hundred more if the extra money is worth it.

Another question: I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to break in the barrel, and the Remington website recommends cleaning after every shot for the first 10 shots, then every 2 shots for the next 10, etc. I get it, and I get why, but my question is about the order they recommend you clean in:

>oil > solvent > clean patch
Why oil first? My cleaning process for my hadnguns has always been:
>solvent > scrub > clean patch > oil > clean patch
>>
File: 20161215_015713.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161215_015713.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>32441824
I've got a 700 in 260 rem
it's a beautifully shooting gun but unless you reload or buy ammo online it's unobtainium
Mines a woodstock round barrel one though.

The golden rule of glass though it buy as much as you can afford

here's a shitty pic from a hazguns thread
>>
>>32442374
I never do that break in period. I just shoot a box of 20 through it getting the scope close to target, which is about 5 shots max, then the rest of the box shoot fast.

I then use solvent to clean the barrel, run a brush through, then solvent again, then brush, then solvent, then clean patch. And then I only oil when im storing the gun. Remember oil is the preservative for your gun so thats always last.

Honestly if you want to just follow the directions, bring a boresnake or brush rod to the range. After every round, wait until the barrel cools, then run the snake through. Then shoot, then snake, then shoot then snake. Until you run out of a box or 2 of ammo.

As to your question, they say oil first so that the brush runs through smoothly. Sometimes the brush is hard to pull through, so the oil assists it. Or, they want the oil to absorb into any new pores of metal caused by the bullet going through the barrel. Thats all i can think of.
>>
>>32441847
What's the point of the triangle barrel?
>>
>>32441824
.260 Rem is the 6.5 CM/6.5 Lapua of yesteryear. It's literally a .308 case necked down to a 6.5mm bullet.

Its potential performance is more or less the same as the modern alternatives, and there's no reason you should switch if you've already got one. The only real drawback is that you can't really fit handloads with heavier bullets (140gr+) in regular .308 magazines because of the longer casing. Most of the (older) guys I see shooting it in comps are doing so out of a long-action rifle.
>>
>>32442714
It's barrel fluting, but gayer.
>>
>>32442758
one could call it meme fluting
>>
>>32442804
And it shall be
>>
>>32442804
>>32442846
How about no.
>>
Are they really as shit as /k/ claims?

I've seen that they have a shit ton of aftermarket parts. Why the hate?
>>
>>32442854
They really had shitty quality and tended to blow out the magazine

Also the triggers had failures

Even in germany you had to send in your r700 because it could just go off because of the trigger
>>
>>32442861
So what's a comparable bolt action for the price?
>>
>>32442882

Savage 11. Tikka T3.

Remington can suck a fat dick.
>>
>>32442892
Dont know how the quality of remington developed over the past years but pretty much this
>>
>>32442900

They stopped caring awhile ago. I picked up an r700 as my first gun back in 06 and the thing basically fell apart after two months.

I have a Savage 11/111 now and for a cheap bolt action it's pretty fucking awesome.
>>
>>32442913
This is actually sad

I wanted to get a remington police in .308 but if it falls apart i might go with another gun
>>
>>32442931
don't
Remington lives off it's former glory in name only anymore
>>
>>32442913
>>32442931
>>32442943
THIS
Is used to work inna French gunshop dedicated to long range shootin and large game and we basically proposed to exchange mdl700 in 30 06 for tikka t3 heavy barrel or browning Xbolt since out of the 17 remmies we sold :
5 sent back for trigger sear replacement
1 came with canted barrel ( propably transporter's fault btw)
2 out of specs chambers
1 with disaligned silencer thread (thoses are legal in France)
2 stocks cracked
1 blew off it's bolt head and extractor after 5 boxes of LAPUA ammo (and we checked, the ammo was fine)

since then it's tikka, sako, browning, sabatti milsurp, steyr, and eventually ruger scouts

I don't know marlin bolt but their lever action are good.
>>
ITT: rem haters with no citations
>>
>>32442714
it looks neat
>>
OP here, thanks a lot for the info fellas it's much appreciated. Heading out to the range in a few here to break in the barrel and get it sighted in. My dad's letting me borrow the scope he uses on his bench rest gun until I get my own glass. I'm probably gonna have to get some new scope rings too, the ones I'm working with sit kinda high.

Thanks again. I'll let you all know how it goes.
>>
I have a VTR in .223 with a viper vortex scope. I got it used and it has a trigger job. I like it, accurate to 200yds and cycles smoothly. Haters can suck it.
>>
File: 1482380533398.jpg (120KB, 694x685px) Image search: [Google]
1482380533398.jpg
120KB, 694x685px
>>32444316
>spending that much money
>on a .223
I shiggy
>>
>>32444323

You don't even know what I paid for it nigger.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.