[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I carry my Glock 19 in condition 1 but when I come home I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

File: 151534647734252345.jpg (99KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
151534647734252345.jpg
99KB, 1350x900px
I carry my Glock 19 in condition 1 but when I come home I'd like to leave the gun in condition 3. How do I do this without dry firing my weapon every day once or twice since that is bad for the striker?

>remove mag
>pull slide back
>put the removed cartridge in mag
>dry fire glock
>insert mag
>>
>dry firing a glock is bad for it

Lolololololololololololololol

Tell another one anon
>>
>>32433011
>literally why
>carry conditions for a Glock
>if its perfection, use it as intended
OMG you are so fucking stupid please stop being this stupid.
>>
>>32433030

Uhh... It's not bad for a Glock? Why not? I thought it was bad for pretty much evey gun out there.

>>32433035

Should I just leave it with a round in chamber?

Also why is using "condition" terms bad for Glock? I pretty much use "condition 1" and "condition 3" universally.

When I'm storing or transporting a gun I keep empty or with a full magazine in place. When I'm using it for a self protection I keep it with a round chambered.
>>
>>32433030

>Can I dry fire my Glock pistol?
It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended.

https://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq
>>
>>32433056
Occasional dry fire will not cause damage to any modern gun that isn't chambered in a rimfire cartridge or a Beretta Pico.
>>
Any gun made in this century that is not rim fire, pin fired, or a revolver where the pin is on the hammer is safe to dryfire.
>>
>>32433035
>carry conditions for a Glock

Even USMC uses carry conditions for their service rifles so...
>>
>>32433064
>>32433069

OK thanks. What about older guns like Walther Model 4 or lets say FN M1900 or Colt 1911 etc.?
>>
>>32433011

Get a Sig. lolz
>>
"Myth 5: Dry-Firing A Gun Is Harmful
To be fair, this is sometimes true. Dry-firing most centerfire rifles and handguns is perfectly safe once you have made certain they are unloaded and pointed in a safe direction. However, excessively dry-firing a rimfire gun is a bad idea. The firing pin of a centerfire gun is designed to strike a primer located in the center of a cartridge's base. When no cartridge is present, the firing pin strikes nothing. With a rimfire, though, the firing pin is positioned to strike the soft brass rim of the cartridge. When no cartridge is present, the firing pin strikes the hard steel of the breechface. Repeated dry-firing of a rimfire can eventually peen the firing pin, dulling it and causing misfires. Dry-firing offers convenient, easy practice, but if you are going to dry-fire a rimfire gun, invest in some snap caps first. These dummy rounds will cushion the firing pin's fall."

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2014/7/2/five-gun-myths-exploded/
>>
>>32433081

Why though?
>>
>>32433011
>put the removed cartridge in mag
repeatedly rechambering rounds fucks up bullets
you get bullet setback the obvious one and dead primers something you wont notice till you pull the trigger expecting a bang and receive a click
>>
It is generally acceptable to dry fire more modern centerfire firearms without a cartridge or snap cap. Older designs such as the CZ 52 and Colt Single Action Army are exceptions. However, dry firing a rimfire firearm or guns with angled firing pins (such as revolvers with hammer-mounted firing pins or older shotguns) can damage the gun. Furthermore, damage can occur to the chamber mouth of a rimfire firearm.[3] Ultimately, one should check with the manufacturer of the gun to ascertain if it is safe to dry fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_fire
>>
>>32433091
Because in this scenario it is the exact answer for your problem
>>
>>32433094

How should I go on about moving from cond. 1 to cond. 3 then?

Everybody in /k/ keeps their pistols chambered 24/7?
>>
>>32433100

Please elaborate.
>>
>>32433056
Just leave a round in the chamber. Unless you have kids or some other retarded human in your home.
It just seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle that doesn't get you much. I've never understood people who have guns for self-defense that don't keep them in a ready position.

Your Glock is safe. Keep a round in the chamber. Why not? What is the reason for going through all that garbage?

>>32433071
True, but it's basically.
4. No Mag, No Round, On Safe.
3. Mag, No Round, On Safe.
1. Mag, Round, On Safe until ready to engage.

Marines also ride around in bouncy vehicles in close proximity to other humans.

I just think it's retarded that there is a series of conditions for a Glock. It's design is based around the idea that it is safe to carry it condition 1 all the time. It's not a 1911. It's not suppose to be. It doesn't need special safety considerations.

I don't even like Glocks that much but god damn.
>>
>>32433102
buy more bullets then. shoot the ones youve chambered more than 3 times. if you cant afford that stop being a cunt that does stupid shit to feel safe.
>>
>>32433102
Yes. If the gun is supposed to be ready to go, I keep it ready to go.

I have a Beretta 92 chambered in my living room, a Beretta PX4 chambered in the bedroom and a revolver with 6 in the cylinder in a closet.

Shotguns are empty and the M4s are with loaded mags, empty chambers, because I don't expect to grab them when something goes bump
>>
>>32433107
>>32433111

Yeah I have kids. I do carry it in condition 1 like I said but I would like to keep it in condition 3 at home.

Isn't there any problems with keeping the gun in condition 1 24/7 though? Like spring tension loss etc.?

Do you all keep your weapons locked and loaded all the time?
>>
just keep it in condition fabric

basically like a desert eagle modified to be accurate as a 9mm
>>
>>32433113

Why do you keep the shotguns empty though? Why no shells in mag tube? Why keep the AR mags full then?
>>
>>32433102
Yes. At least I do. My carry weapon is my home defense weapon as well. If my weapon is is constantly in two different conditions, I run the risk of fucking up a draw in either defense scenario because I may have forgotten to switch conditions as intended. Either carry with one in the chamber like an alpha, or mag in the well with no chambered round like a beta. Don't switch between the two. Consistency is critical in self defense.
>>
>>32433120
If you have kids then not having a round in the chamber makes some sense.

As for spring tension, some people think keeping them loaded is bad, some people thinking using them is worse. Personally I don't think leaving the magazines loaded is bad.

Keeping your gun in condition 1 doesn't do anything to the springs through. Your magazine spring will move a little bit when you load the round, but otherwise it's under tension, it's fine. All the springs in your gun will be the same - when you work them,they move, then they stay under whatever tension they're under. No problem.
>>
>>32433125
leaving shotguns loaded for long periods of time(months) will deform the shells since its plastic and under constant spring pressure. the deformed shells have issues chambering. if you store a loaded shotgun its a good idea to shoot the ammo twice a year.
>>
>>32433011
>How do I do this without dry firing my weapon every day once or twice since that is bad for the striker?

seriously there should be rules against millenials owning weapons
>>
>>32433125
Shotguns are empty just because they're more of a pain to unload if I need to demonstrate handling or anything, or if I want to transport it. And I'm not using it for self-defense. Also, it loads in a few seconds.

The AR mags are full because there's a bunch of them, easier to just load them up so they're ready if I want them. Also they're a pain to load compared to a shotgun. And the magazine is easy to remove if I want to demonstrate handling or whatever.
>>
>>32433073
Not clear on those, but if I had to guess:

Definitely alright for occasional dry fire but you should probably have snap caps if you plan on dry firing the gun with any kind of frequency, per the recommendation in >>32433085.
>>
>>32433131

OK I might start keeping mine in cond. 1 and just put the gun somewhere safe.

>>32433134

Thanks for your answer about the spring tensions. I always thought that if you store your gun after racking the slide the spring will get fucked up eventually.

>>32433137

Oh. I didn't know this. I do have a semi-auto shotgun for home defense. I should start cycling the rounds then since I do keep them in the mag tube.

I'm wondering if I can condition 1 carry my older weapons and keep them in condition 1 24/7 aswell as my newer guns.

I have Colt 1911, Walther Model 4 and FN M1900.

Does dry firing hurt them?
>>
>>32433120
I have 4 kids. The best thing I find to do is have one or two defense weapons. My AR is hidden in the closet with a mag within arms reach away. My kids do not know where either are. My handgun stays in condition 1 at all times, but I have it at all times. Its either on my hip, on my top shelf on my desk, or under my side of the bed when I am sleeping. My kids see my handgun at all times, but it never leaves my sight, and the disciplinary measures are harsh if one finger gets laid on either the gun or the holster.

When they get older, I will teach them how to use it, but same rule applies. It is in condition 1, therefore it never leaves my control.
>>
>>32433142
>millenials

Whats that?

>>32433144

OK.

>>32433145

Thanks for the answer. I might just start keeping them in condition 1 too.
>>
>>32433155
>I always thought that if you store your gun after racking the slide the spring will get fucked up eventually.
Nope, you're fine. Springs are designed to do their jobs. Racking the slide, loading them, etc, is just asking them to do their job.
>>
>>32433155
dryfiring is generally only bad for rimfire. there are certain centerfire guns that will snap firing pins when dryfired like the cz52 but those are the exception not the rule. that said age and availability of replacement parts should be taken into account.
>>
>>32433180

Good to hear that.

>>32433182
>that said age and availability of replacement parts should be taken into account.

Yeah I am somewhat worried about my older guns because spare parts might be impossible to find. And some of my guns are pre 68 so they don't have "drop safety" etc. features and all that. I have many guns but most of them are old. I bought my Glock 19 because it's modern and it was cheap.

I also don't carry a gun in my small apartment. When I come home I empty all of my pockets and put my belongings in a cabinet drawer except I always put my pistol inside my night table drawer.

I keep the rest of my guns in my clothes room and the door locked.

This is because we have two kids here and sometimes we have a babysitter or other friends over and I don't want them to see or fumble around with the guns.
>>
If you have kids and having one in the chamber concerns you, just always carry in condition 3 and practice your draw.
>>
>>32433602

I think condition 3 carry is a bad choice since I might not be able to use both hands to rack the slide...
>>
>>32433056
Haha, in the army we dry fire our weapons every time we clear them. Somehow they're okay.
>>
File: 1446545518186.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446545518186.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>32433011
>cuckmags
>>
>>32436050
Some serious backwards information here. Op, your glock only applies to condition three and one. Three: loaded mag, empty chaimber. One: loaded chaimber and mag.

Condition two only applies to hammer fired guns.

As for your deal with dry firing...Don't. why? Don't be that technical. There's no need for this. Put it in condition without dry firing dude. Or leave it in condition one.
>>
>>32433102
Eject the chambered round, put it back in the box of ammo. Pull a fresh round to top off your mag. Once every round in the box has been chambered/ejected one time, that box goes to the range for practice.

Cycle a fresh box of ammo out of ready stores to become the new on-deck box.

Now, lets talk about ready stores of ammo since my autism is flaring up.

There's SD ammo, and there's practice/plinking ammo. The latter tends to be cheaper, keep as much around as you're comfortable with.

As a rule of thumb, have 1 box of SD ammo per every magazine you have for your SD gun, plus an additional box for the gun. This is not because you're going to engage hordes of zombies, looters, and dindus, but to give you some flexibility on when you need to restock.

Ideally, you restock before or right after a practice session. Sometimes you can't, so you have reserves for just that reason.

Btw, you need to practice more.
>>
>>32433161
CCW in public I understand carrying it loaded with 1 in the chamber.

I just dont see how the 1 second it takes to rack the slide and chamber a round will ever make a difference if someone breaks into your house compared to another person picking it up and accidently pulling the trigger potentially causing you to lose a family member.

The ONLY argument I can possibly think of is that you don't want an intruder hearing you rack the slide, but that doesnt seem to justify it. Care to explain why you do what you and take the risks you take(even with your super behaved kids)?
>>
>>32436246
>>32436425

OP here. Thanks for the answers a lot. This is what I will do from now on. Help much appreciated.

And yeah I need to go to the range more often. I'm trying to go once a month at least.

I would also want to do more than just to fire on stationary cardboard targets though.
>>
>>32433011
>How do I do this without dry firing my weapon every day once or twice since that is bad for the striker?
Do what? Unload it? Take the magazine out and pull back the slide, moron. Where is this dry firing nonsense coming from?

Why do people this stupid own guns?

Sell your guns.
>>
>>32438880
>compared to another person picking it up and accidently pulling the trigger potentially causing you to lose a family member.
Why do you have shitty family? Why is your gun somewhere that you aren't?
>>
>>32440433

I was thinking that the spring will wear out if the gun is stored that way. Sorry bro.
>>
>>32433105

The P220, 226, 22X have de-cockers. You can lower the hammer safely without having to pull the trigger.
>>
>>32440665
The fuck are you talking about? What spring will wear out and why? Springs only wear from cycling.
>>
Kek

Dry firing is a non issue for Glocks friendo
>>
>>32433161
>>32433120
Get a fucking safe. Do you want to risk that shit?
>>
>>32438880

Well first reason is because this
>>32433131

Second reason is because you are assuming condition 1 is inherently more dangerous in my situation. I've shown my kids how to clear every weapon in my house. They can manipulate a slide just as easily as they can manipulate a trigger. So condition 3 isn't really doing much of anything except adding another step in a SD situation.

You already answered the third reason. Having the intruder not knowing that I am awake and armed is huge. If he/she hears me rack a slide, they know two critical things. What room I am in, and that I will be coming armed. That gives them the ability to ambush me the moment I walk through the door if they are armed as well. You try to pass the noise of racking a slide as a nbd type of thing, but that shit is critical.

The fourth reason is one most people don't think about. What if I don't hear the intruder as they come in? What if I don't know that peice of shit is in my house until they open the bedroom door which is right where my side of the bed is? Or what if I'm working at my desk with some headphones like I am now and I don't hear the entry but I see a shadow pass from the hall way light? Do you really want to be fighting with a slide then? It pretty much turns into a carry SD situation where you have to react as fast as possible.

Also this >>32440443
It's under my control at an arms reach away at all times. Only exceptions being locked in the glove box when I go see the grandparents who politely ask me not to carry in their house or have to go into a no carry area like a government building. Arms reach away/under my control at all times, or locked away. No exceptions.
>>
>>32433011
Why would you need to dry fire after taking one out of the chamber? Just leave it anon it's not like it won't rack again if you don't.
>>
>>32433064
>or a Beretta pico
Why? I was looking to get one if those.
>>
>>32440261
You should take a good training class. Greg at active response training is pretty good, you should check his 2017 schedule and see if he has any classes in your area.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.