[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/, today I received items from my Aunt that belonged

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 21

Hello /k/, today I received items from my Aunt that belonged to my Grandfather. She had no use for them so I took them. I need help identifying some things, such as the patches, the pins and medals, and otherwise.

From what I know, he was a World War II Veteran that helped build the Burma Road, if that helps.

To begin, here's one of his caps, any idea on when it was issued, or what the pin in the front means?
>>
The inside of the cap. If it helps.
>>
File: Capture.png (763KB, 470x833px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
763KB, 470x833px
>>32411643
Whoops, that was meant to be the next picture. That's the second cap.

Here's the inside
>>
Inside of the second cap
>>
Here's the knife.
>>
Here's the knife. I believe it's called a kukri, and according to my dad my grandfather received it from Gurkhas after he and a bunch of gurkhas seized a Japanese train full of German weapons and equipment and were able to secure it until the Allies could arrive on location and deny those assets to the Axis.
>>
According to my father, the handle is also Ivory. But I'm not sure how true that is.
>>
Here's his military Jacket
>>
First patch. Anyone know what it's for?
>>
Second patch.
>>
Here's some of his pins.
>>
Here's another one of his jackets.
>>
Here's another patch.
>>
Another patch.
>>
Here's an interesting button/pin that was on his collar.
>>
Lastly, the most interesting thing. This was on the back of his jacket. Any idea what this is all about?
>>
Nobody's falling for it.

Stop advertising your fake and fuck off back to containment, surplusshit.
>>
>>32412038

Not a fake, George Crepack and John Hasay both served in WWII and were my Grandfathers, and while I know some of Grandpa Hasay's history, I'd like to know some of George's as well as identifying the various militaria that I inherited, so I can respect it as a piece of history, rather than a piece of militaria.
>>
>>32412038
if hes advertising hes doing a shit job by not linking a store.
>>
>>32411617
Cool thread, no answers but I'd like to see them if you get any.
>>
>>32412091
I would never sell my grandfathers WWII items.
>>
Mate no offense but all of this shit is on wikipedia. Stop being a fucking pussy expecting to be spoonfed, you can literally see the fucking rank written inside the cap
>>
>>32412132
I'm not worried about the rank, but I'm more interested in the patches on the side and the pins. Not to mention the strange moon runes on the back.
>>
>>32411617
First cover is a post 1956 Warrant officer.

Second cover is a standard WW2 enlisted peak cap.

The patch with the sun, star and stripes is for the China-India-Burma theater.

Being a bullion patch it is quite valuable.
>>
>>32412123
Me too. It'd be cool learning the history behind everything.
>>
>>32411938
That is called a blood chit. Roughly translates to if you find this American and return him you'll be rewarded
>>
>>32412197
The moonrunes on the back I imagine is similar to the stuff sewn unto the back of pilot's bomber jackers, basically saying "This dude is a member of allied forces, please aid him in any way you can and you will be rewarded" in case they were shot down and wounded
>>
>>32411938
Not sure about the moon runes but I knew a lot of old pilots who had stuff like that sewn on their jackets in several languages. Pretty much says "don't kill me, turn me in and uncle Sam will pay you"
>>
>>32411857
Those ribbons show he served in the U.S., Europe and Asia. He served post war with the occupation force either Japan or Germany.
>>
>>32412216
>>32412270

What's a bullion patch?

Here's another patch I got, he mailed it back home to my grandmother while he was stationed in Burma, and wrote "Love, John" on the back.

Here's a medal he got too.

Any idea what they mean?

Also, are you the same sully that used to own Sully's Surplus in NEPA?
>>
>>32412129
Good on you.
>>
>>32412091
>not shilling
>a surplusshit that runs a store peddling overpriced junk and fakes posts ITT
>>32412270
>>
>>32412370
Bullion is the metal wire embroidered onto your patches. The shield one with the 2 different stars on the top and the stripes is a China-Burma-India patch.
>>
>>32412370

What do you mean "used to"?

Did he quit?
>>
>>32411924
Ordnance Corps insignia meaning he either did something with munitions or was a mechanic of some sort. Could have also been some kind of armorer back then

>>32411774
It is extremely uncommon for a non Gurkha to have a Gurkha knife. If he truly did receive it after conducting missions with Gurkhas that is a HUGE honor on his part and the knife is probably quite valuable as well.
>>
>>32411938
Rough translation:

"This American soldier has come to china to fight united(??? alongside???) with the people and soldiers."

I may be fucking wrong here.
>>
File: Stilwell.jpg (1MB, 1485x1887px)
Stilwell.jpg
1MB, 1485x1887px
>>32411820
Chinese-Burma-India Theater.

>>32411843
>>32411888
He worked on the Ledo Road. That patch wasn't official and they only wore it overseas in country.

That shit is rare.
>>
>>32411617
Jesus fuck anon if all this is legit and you seriously do have a gurkha kukri that's fucking amazing and I am jealous as hell
>>
>>32413873
Last time I went up there the store was out of business.

Are you a NEPA /k/ommando too?
>>
>>32414293
Really? Wow. How rare?

Do you have any more images of them building it? How many people built the ledo road? Maybe he's in one of them.
>>
>>32414340
I wouldn't lie, I just felt that it was /k/ worthy. Because he helped the Gurkhas helped capture train they felt that he deserved the knife to remember them by, according to my father.

He always wanted to go back to India to catch up with them, but he never got the chance to, and he died in 2009. I'd like to retrace his steps and perhaps learn more about how he helped those people over there. Perhaps even find one of the Gurkhas descendents.

My grandfather used the blade in India HEAVILY, he originally thought it was a machete before they explained the purpose and heritage of it to him. Then he brought it back and it became a family heirloom. Unfortunately, my father stored the blade in undesirable conditions and there's a bit of rust and tarnish on it. Still holds an edge though, surprisingly, for it being 80 years old or more. I'm trying to restore it's shine and edge but haven't had much luck.

He also brought back home a Luger handgun and a German K98 Rifle when he captured the train alongside the Gurkhas, as well as his bandolier that he stored ammo on. Unfortunately, the K98 was stolen by our neighbors and sold for drugs, but we still have the Luger
>>
>>32414463
Sorry, I told you all I know. Those patches are handmade though.

>>32414523
The road is largely jungle these days, and Myanmar isn't a nice place to visit.
>>
>>32414523
why don't you take action against your cunt neighbors? how did they even know the value of the rifle, how did they even steal it, was it just sitting around or something?
>>
bumping this thread because this is cool shit
>>
File: 0303703.3.png (128KB, 388x399px) Image search: [Google]
0303703.3.png
128KB, 388x399px
MOAR!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>32412370
Yes I am that Sully.

Really nice bullion patch and the medal is the Good Conduct Medal.

>>32413873
>>32414451
I had to close the retail location. Between my health issues and the birth of my third child it was no longer feasible to keep it open. I still own the business but I just do online sales and gun/militaria shows now. Maybe in another year or two I will open the store front back up.
>>
I don't think they knew the value of the rifle. We couldn't prove they did it either, but they're our only neighbors in 20 miles and they've been to jail for stealing shit before. But they broke into our house, smashed into our gun cabinet, and stole the K98, and a few other various firearms to sell to fuel their addiction.
>>
>>32415494
That's awesome, I bought an M16A3 handguard off you once while you were still open for business.

I never knew you were a /k/ommando.
>>
>>32417650
I don't typically show my power level in public
>>
File: Chaplinvisor.jpg (54KB, 500x394px)
Chaplinvisor.jpg
54KB, 500x394px
I need help identifying my great grandpa's old hat, they said he served in ww2 but I'm not sure...
>>
>>32411820
china
>>
>>32414523
>>32414523
>Still holds an edge though, surprisingly, for it being 80 years old or more. I'm trying to restore it's shine and edge but haven't had much luck.

you are destroying the monetary value by sharpening it, if that matters to you
>>
>>32417859
>chaplain
he was a good nazi, he dindu nuffin
>>
>>32418070
I mean, I'd never sell it. But I don't want it to be dull.
>>
>>32418684
Tbh the Gurkha would respect that.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.