[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is /k/ comfortable not regularly shooting and practicing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1574.jpg (973KB, 2728x1516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1574.jpg
973KB, 2728x1516px
How is /k/ comfortable not regularly shooting and practicing with all their guns due to having a large collection? I only own 6 firearms and find I focus on just 2 or 3.

Can't imagine how it would be to have a collection of 10 or 15+ guns without feeling like the majority are going to waste in my safe.
>>
>>32403501
I have 53. Eh, you pick your favorites. It gets to the point of
>do I want to shoot the .22 that looks like a M1 Carbine or the lever action one
>>
>>32403501
I have six and I only shoot two. I brought my shotgun to the range back in October with thoughts of shooting it but never did it. If I didn't work so fuckin much I'd take it duck hunting but nope.
>>
>>32403501
I only have six guns as well. Three rifles and three pistols. I don't like to lug them all to the range and then clean them all each trip. Yes I clean my guns every time I fire them even if it was just a few mags. Last trip was to zero BUIS on my newest AR. After a couple groups it was zeroed and then I did some blasting. Was indoors and the flat range stationary target @25yds gets boring pretty fast with rifle.

Haven't shot the M14 in a while, may take it out tomorrow. Got a sight coming in the mail for my newest AR, EoKek EXPS3-0. When that arrives in a week I will take that rifle to the range to zero it.
>>
I always wanted to have a bunch of different guns, like one cz, one glock, one beretta but fuck that.

I fucking hate taking multiple guns out to the range and jumping back and forth to each one. I don't even like shooting my rifles because I primarily like to practice with my cc gun. As much as I do not want to sell my guns, I'm thinking of selling my guns such as my P320C, M&P9, P226 and putting that money into one single platform.

A very good article on the subject.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/70
>>
>>32403663
I like your plan. I'd rather spend my money on ammunition and excel with a few firearms than own 10 guns I rarely shoot
>>
>>32403501
Because im aware most of my collection will neer be used for anything other than poking holes in paper
>>
File: 1467154211480.jpg (112KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467154211480.jpg
112KB, 900x720px
>>32403683
Exactly. I'm still in the process of deciding if I want to go Glock or HK.
>>
I own 11 and I try to shoot them all. However, I shoot my AR, M1A, and Glocks the most.
>>
>>32403501

i've had several guns at once but im cutting down my arsenal due change of lifestyle to minimalism and cutting all the useless shit i own out of the picture

I'm down to my AR-15 and Glock 19 as my two keepers and selling my AK-74 after getting rid of my M1 Carbine, SKS & Finnish nagant.

If I considered having a house now as opposed to maybe 4 years ago when I was a stupid 19 year old, it would be powered by solar panels, filled with three months worth of MREs and have a library chock full of books with shelves of scotch bottles overhead. I'd probably pay to have a private well dug too if there was water on my property so I don't have to pay the state shit, but I digress.
>>
File: 1468351089777.png (2MB, 1536x1110px) Image search: [Google]
1468351089777.png
2MB, 1536x1110px
>>32403763
I'm strongly considering selling my SGL31. They're not imported anymore and I got it at a crazy ass price but hooooly fuck I hate shooting it. I cannot stand it. As much as I love AK's they're so underwhelming to shoot.
>>
>>32403775

their coming back fall 2017-spring 2018.
>>
i have started imposing a limit on how many guns i take, simple rules really
>3 or 5
>if nugget goes, svt comes too
>if ground demon is out, .22 goes
>if hunting rifle goes, m14 comes too
>if it was taken last time, it stays this time (.22 is exception)
>straight pulls travel in pairs
>minimum one semi auto
>>
>S&W M&P 340
>Glock 19
>CZ 455 Lux
>Mossberg 590A1
>BCM Recce 16
>Remington 700

Any other downsizing I could do? Trying to keep a small but functional collection. Already sold my GP100, VEPR, and P229
>>
>>32403775

Ultimately it came down to logistics for me, 5.45x39 is an oddball round here in the US and will never be as commonly available as 5.56 across all states. Plus I don't need two semi-auto .22s.

>>32403803

I'd just stick with what you're comfortable with having, I only cut down because I travel and never live in the same place for too long.

rifle/pistol/shotgun is pretty much the necessity trifecta and maybe a .22LR in the mix
>>
Im not saying dont shoot everything youve got but for the most part ypur skills will transfer over, as far as actually hitting the target goes.
Sight alingment and trigger control dont change all that much between guns, things like reloads and immediate actions might but in any case those matter i would hope youve got 2-3 "primary" guns ypu wpuld grab.
>>
From late October to Early december I was shooting my glock every week and sometimes even twice a week. I was noticing a lot of improvement. Now because of work and holidays I haven't shot in like 3 weeks. My last range trip I was doing worse because of lack of practice. I try to get some dry fire practice in at least once or twice a week.

When I get my AR I don't know how often I'll get to shoot it. There are some pistol ranges in my city that allow ARs, but I'll have to put the thing in a gym bag which is sketchy as fuck, or walk around the city with a full rifle case, there aren't any rifle ranges close to my place.

if it were up to me I'd shoot 3 times a week, I love it and genuinely want to get better.
>>
>>32403775
If you coud sell it for a decent price then go for it
>>
>>32403501
I have a collection that is primarily wall hangers or collectibles, they never get shot. I do clean them every so often but as for guns I actively shoot I've only got a couple. Plus I have range rules, like I will only take two guns to the range and any one time. Any more than that and I can't focus.
>>
File: 2016-09-26_15.00.23.jpg (222KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-26_15.00.23.jpg
222KB, 1440x1440px
>>32403501
I've shot 10 this year....some have been 3 or more years since shooting
>>
File: IMG_1045.jpg (3MB, 2870x3308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1045.jpg
3MB, 2870x3308px
>>32403501
I try to shoot at least once a week and always rotate one rifle and one pistol. Yesterday was my 16" AR and a sig p320, last week was my 10.3" and glock 19, week before that was my 14.5" .300blk and a hk45ct etc. I also take my normie friends shooting and usually want to shoot something I might neglect like my old man's Scar17.
>>
>>32403501
I have several miscellaneous guns and mostly shoot only a few. Black powder is fun, but requires too much cleanup. It gets shot least. 22lr is the obvious favorite, as I have it in rifle, semiautomatic handgun, and revolver formats. Then comes the 9mm carbine, followed by shotguns. Milsurp (including PA-63) is shot more than deer rifle. The deer rifle only fires a dozen or so rounds a year. Mainly I practice with the cheaper calibers to shoot. If I ever take a gun to the ranch and feel like I can't shoot it well, I practice more with it. The mechanics are similar for most firearms.
>>
I used to think like a collector before I started actually buying guns. Now I have 3; my CCW USP9C, my SKS, and an x54R VEPR. Had a 10/22 I gave to my nephew.
Can't say I don't want an M1A, FAL, PTR, SCAR 17, HCAR, CZ75, on and on, but it's just money I could spend on something other than gunsafe decorations and occasional range toys. I'd probably have more guns if I hunted more just for caliber coverage, but they'd see action one season a year.
>>
>>32403501
I only own 3 firearms at the moment, and have never owned more than 4 at a time. Most of them have been handguns, but I have a rifle at the moment.

I like having a low number of guns because of this, with the least amount of ammo variation possible. I might get a shotgun later, and I might trade my AR for an AK (if I don't just give the AR to my wife) but at the moment, I like having just my home defense pistol, my CCW, and my AR because I get to shoot them often. I just buy a bunch of 9mm and 5.56, and shoot.
>>
I generally bring whatever carbine I am practicing with (currently AUG), my concealed carry, and my S&W 686 every time, then I'll bring another gun or two that I want to shoot.
My collection is a bit over 20.
>>
>>32406057
How do you like your USP9c? Thinking of replacing my G19
>>
>>32403501
I'll use them when the revolution begins.
>>
>>32407391
Buy used if you do, I'm not >>32406076 but let me give you some insight as to why I replaced my USPC with a g19
Aftermarket, Shoot-ability (for me), capacity, lol 100 rnd mags
It really came down to me shooting them side by side and asking why I was carrying something that had less ammo and was harder to shoot.
Yes they are accurate, yes they are just as reliable if not more, but they are harder for me to shoot. I could care less about some gay ass light.
In the end, I decided that it was a great firearm but, dated.
I suggest you save and buy one, or get a full sized, it just makes more sense.
But if you do end up getting one, they can be found on the used market very cheaply because very little people want to pay $300 more for an objectively less superior firearm
>>
>>32403501
In the end I think I'll end up with a SCAR my sr-15, a glock and a couple milsurps. I don't really see the need for a shotgun honestly, and 308 will kill anything in my area with ease.
I want to tell myself this, but I'll most likely end up with 300 guns when I die and 90% of them never shot
At least I can tell myself I tried right?
>>
I have 13 guns.

The trick is to take half on one range trip, then the other half on the next.

Taking 5-6 guns on one trip isn't that hard and allows for enough shooting on each one.
>>
>>32407391
Definitely not worth it. I just personally love the HK trigger. It was either a Glock, Beretta, or HK 9mm for me, and HK won. Got the compact because I'm a small guy and the salesman said I'd print. Daddy dearest was paying so I didn't even consider cost.
>>
>>32408879
>>32407772
I'll stick with the Glock then. Might trade it in for the Glock 19M once it's released to the public
>>
>>32403501
I own some gums just for the sake of owning them, it gives me pleasure, I have the few that I shoot regularly and rotate the others between range trips
>>
Some guns don't need to be shot. I'm old. I used to shoot revolvers competitively. My smith revolvers are like extensions of my hand. I don't need to practice on a weekly basis. They go occasionally when I'm giving instruction to a new shooter, or to scare the people in the lanes near me. 44mag snub nose with a hot load will catch someones attention. I've got AR's in 5 different calibers/configurations. If you can manipulate one, you can shoot any. I don't think I've had less than 3 1911's at any time in the last 30 years. I'm good once I verify operation. Long range shooting takes up more of my time, mainly because I'm searching for the perfect load.
>>
>>32407675
Behold the first fudd to die
>>
i have just under 50. i think about what i want to shoot, how much i want to carry, what ammo needs to be brought, and lastly whos going to shoot it. the last aspect is if im shooting with someone new which happens from time to time.
usually its 3-4 rifles, maybe an additional 3-4 pistols if its a pistol day.
i shoot my rifles far more often though and when i do choose for the range, its maybe 2-3 rifles out of a group of 6 favorites and then one oddball i dont shoot often.
>>
File: IMG_4117.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4117.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I shoot my FN15 and wilson combat regularly and exclusively. The p229 is my womens gun cuz the small grip and the p230 is for summer carry. The 92fs is literally just for remembering nakatomi plaza. I dont shoot it but once a year. So each weapon has a purpose and gets used accordingly so. I like my collection. I get desires to but moar regularly but then remember that 600$ of ammo for the guns I own is a lot better than owning two guns I dont shoot.
>>
Well, my 12th gun just shipped today. That said, I've got a few guns I haven't shot in years.
I don't see them as wasting space in my safe, they're all a part of my collection. When I shoot I don't see it as "practicing" either, I just shoot for fun, so I the guns that sit for a long time just means they aren't the ones I have the most fun with.

Then other guns serve a purpose. Like I've only put about 10 shots through my shotgun just to make sure it works. Now it sits next to my nightstand 24/7.
And another one was my grandfathers so it's not like I'm going to get rid of that.
>>
>>32403501
It makes you appreciate certain guns more. For example, I shot my M44 for the first time in a couple years recently and I had forgot how much fun it was.
>>
>>32403501
why own 6 if you only use two, just sell the rest
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.