[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on /k/ do 3 gun? I would like to get into it, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 20160710_142208.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160710_142208.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Does anyone on /k/ do 3 gun? I would like to get into it, and was wondering what advice, if any, /k/ has to offer. I currently have a ar15, and mossberg 500 for the rifle and shotgun, but lack a pistol. I was looking at getting a glock 17, and was wondering if this would be serviceable for 3 gun. Also, what belt/gear do you recommend for someone new?
>>
Also interested. I think Giddy from ARG does it
>>
>>32398673

a Glock 17 (34 is better) does just fine. i used that the first few times i competed. you want a 9mm since they don't have min calibers in 3gun, and it works for USPSA Production too if you want to shoot that later. the 500 will limit you vs a 930 or other semi-auto, but if you're just starting it doesn't matter. biggest thing is to have a good way to carry your pistol and mags and shotshells.
>>
>>32398707
Any brands you recommend for a belt/ gear for pistol, mags, and shotshells?
>>
>>32401188
Double Alpha or Safariland.
>>
>>32401197
Thank you.
>>
>>32401389

i mount my TACCOM shotshell holders to ELS forks. Double Alpha's modular system wasn't out when i built mine. i've got a Double Alpha rig for Limited USPSA, though, and it's a much better belt.
>>
>>32398673
A glock 17 is excelent for 3 gun the 34 was designed for 3 gun as it barely fits inside the box but 17s do really well.
>>
>>32398673
CX SP01 also makes for a very good competition gun, the extra weight and excellent ergos make for a very smooth and accurate gun. Plus they're just as customizable as the Glock.
>>
>>32402380
CZ, fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>32402380
>>32402390

Tanfo Stock II/III and the Extreme versions are also good competition guns. or the CZ TS/TS Orange (if the Orange ever comes out) or the Shadow 2 or the Tanfo Limited or...

or you could just get a 9mm custom 2011.

but for a starter, there's nothing wrong with a Glock
>>
>>32398673
I do.
>pump shotgun
>3gun
If you're in it just to have an excuse to blow a lot of ammo, sure whatever. But pumps are NOT competitive, like not even remotely competitive.

Practice practice practice. A good shooter sticking mags in his pockets will out-score a mediocre shooter with a grand worth of gear.

Don't use cheap ammo, I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people show up with Wolf/Tula/Barnaul then totally choke on the 200+m rifle stages because they have no idea where it's shooting and/or the 15" groups that ammo produces at those ranges is going everywhere but on target.

Practice your various supported positions, it's honestly rather infuriating how little of the rifle stages are shot off-hand. Particularly prone and kneeling.

Wear low profile kneepads under your pants, most courses of fire will tear the shit out of your knees. I got a set of carpet-layer's kneepads from Home Depot for like ten bux that are comfy and stay in place while running.
>>
>>32402422

well... if he gets a .45 and a .308 rifle he's automatically in Iron Man.

still that's a bad reason to do Iron Man.
>>
>>32402458
Tru. You shoot Iron Man because you want to, and/or because there's few enough people that do you've got a better chance of winning your division.

>>32398673
Also, fitness. Particularly cardio. There's a lot of sprinting in 3-gun and the better you're breathing halfway through it the better you're shooting. So train wind sprints, pushups, situps, and more wind sprints. Maybe some back flys.
>>
>>32402500

i'd throw in grip work and chest flys for controlling recoil especially in pistols.

literally my only advantage some days is that i just turned 30 and can still run.
>>
>>32402529
Grip strength comes with shooting too, as well as dryfire and holster/unholster drills. And some professions.

But yeah totally agree on the chest flys.
>>
>>32398687
>giddy
>doing anything this battlebuddy butcher does
Shiggy dig friend
>>
>>32402500
Is ironman just the heavy division for 3 gun?
Does any other sport have themed matches like CAS? Like dress up like a prohibition era gangster and play with repro tommyguns and 1911s
>>
>>32403282
Cowboy action shooting has cowboy dress up and cowboy names with turn of the century tech only. It's pretty fun.
>>
>>32403282

Wild bunch - 1911, levergun, '97 pump.

and i did see a prohibition shoot once. don't remember what they ended up calling it.
>>
>>32403282
Technically Heavy Metal is the "heavy" division for 3-gun. Iron Man is very specific in that you need a full-power rifle (.308 or larger), pump shotgun in only 12ga, and .45acp handgun, and is more of a fun-shoot division. It's really only offered at local shoots and isn't recognized as an official class by USPSA.
>http://www.3-gun.com/3-gun-divisions.html
>>
>>32404147

3gun has so many outlaw matches that you can basically bring anything and they'll find a division you'll be relatively competitive gear-wise in.
>>
>>32404154
True, which is why I qualified it with the "technically". It's both a blessing and a curse though, if you find a set of gear you're really good/comfortable with that isn't in one of the main "official" divisions you're pretty well screwed out of state/regional progression and will be stuck shooting outlaw matches.
>>
>>32402422
The 500 is just a a temporary thing until I save up for a 930. Also, what ammo do you recommend?
>>32402500
>>32402529
I like to stay pretty fit, but I'll start working more on cardio.
>>32402458
>>32403282
>>32404147
This iron man/heavy metal that requires a 308, would I need something semiautomatic in 308?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.