[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best self defense method? I am not fancy for flashy kung fu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 16

Best self defense method?

I am not fancy for flashy kung fu shit. I want to get trained for effective hand to hand, or vs knife training to be able to defend myself in the streets.

Thinking about krav maga, systema. Kind of stuff like theese.

What is the best SD in /k/'s opinion?
>>
A gun
>>
>>32392822
Boxing, cardio, judo, and a gun.
>>
>>32392822
Not a lot of SD training going on in mom's basement. Unless you count fighting games.
>>
Cardio, a good pair of running shoes and a gun.
>>
>>32392822
>systema
>shows a figure four, a technique known in pretty much every grappling martial arts ever
>>
>>32392841
What are you? A fagot? It's just a random pic.

>gun

not aviable.

>>32392835

I just want to learn one technique, not like go to judo AND boxing, AND ching chung chang kungfu.

This is why i presented examples.
>>
>>32392870

Theres a lot of techniques about anon, and people will weigh in here pointing out the most brootal/kewl and detailing situations that their preffered style will counter.

If somone pulls a knife/gun you run away as fast as you can. Its that simple.

if somone does jump you, gets physical outside a bar, hell even starts swinging in the checkout line, Judo will do for you.

Most of it is a simple transferal of weight exercise and a few throws/moves will see you right if you are attacked. As soon as you've put someone down, you step back and get distance.
>>
>>32392822
>Best self defense method?
Just about any gun
>>
they're all pretty much equal.
>pick a martial art and learn it the best you can
>cc a gun
>carry a knife
>>
>>32392941

> If somone pulls a knife/gun you run away as fast as you can

That is fine by me, but what if my girl is with me, and se can't / won't run.

Don't misunderstand me, i am all for avoiding a fight, but i've been in fights, beacuse you know: shit happens.

Gypsys are an actual concern to me, they are as vile as it can be. They can just come up to you to beg for cig, and if you dont give them, they can just punch you in the face. And the situation is just escalates.

Judo isn't too ground based? I'm not familiar with any of theese styles, the only thing i know that kung fu shit is mostly just flashy thing what is ineffective in the street, and basically IRL.

Thanks for the answer tho, i'll look it up.

>gun
>gun
>gun

fckin muricans
>>
>>32392870
Then judo and cardio. If a fucker does something, throw then run like hell, don't stand and fight, either that or kick his head when he's down, I'd recommend running personally.

I recommended boxing as well because you aren't going to be able to throw 2-3 guys at once and at the off chance you're in a dead end alleyway with 3 guys blocking the exit like some kinda movie, you're fucked because as soon as you grab one the others'll just punch you in the face, while with a striking martial art at least you'll have some sort of small chance of taking down one or kiting them so you can run away.
>>
a portable nuclear device and a preemptive strike policy.
>>
>>32392964
>>Judo isn't too ground based?
What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>32393009
I think he's worried about Judo being too ground based in case there are like two guys or something that are fucking with his gf. Ground based doesn't really work when you're trying to fend off more than one person as you'll just get kicked the shit out of on the floor, of course Judo isn't BJJ tier stuff or some shit, it has loads of throws, locks, etc which is why I recommend Judo.
>>
>>32393014
But judo isn't ground based.
>>
>>32393019
That's my point. Judo has ground based techniques but it isn't BJJ tier, which, again is why I recommended it.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 800x820px)
image.jpg
83KB, 800x820px
A gun

Unless you're a eurocuck or live in a commie state, then kys
>>
>>32392822
Cardio > BJJ+Gun > Gun > BJJ

Boxing schools are competition-focused and if you're not serious about it they'll use you as a punching bag for the prize students

Krav Maga has too many bullshit/fake instructors and steals all of its lessons from BJJ, wrestling, and boxing.

Muay Thai and Savate don't have enough quality instructors and schools.

Judo would be great if it didn't destroy your body just training.

MMA gyms are unpredictable quality and usually filled with angry students that want to hurt people for fun. Not the best learning environment.

BJJ is the most solid option due to a strict ranking system, verifiable instructor lineage, popularity meaning you can find reputable, quality schools EVERYWHERE, who welcome those that want to learn for self-defense and physical fitness, and can combine fighting with flexibility and mobility exercises along with cardio that's fairly safe for most shapes and sizes of bodies.
>>
Striking in general is overrated. You can't punch a knife or broken bottle or club out of someone's hand, but good grappling skills can keep it from getting shoved between your ribs or embedded in your skull.

Take six months of boxing lessons so you can punch without hurting yourself and then focus on learning grappling.
>>
>>32392822
Run. Period. Your masculinity is not worth getting stabbed or jumped over.
>>
>>32393105
BJJ is absolute shit for self-defense.

Also, OP isn't in clapistan so most of your complaints are not applicable.
>>
>>32392822
Seriously, what>>32392835 said.
Regarding your pic, knife disarm is one of the biggest bullshit in the "self-defense" world.
>>
>>32393458
It's a last-ditch attempt. Do you think you should instead just give up without trying to do anything?
>>
>>32392870
By limiting yourself to one style, you are limiting the way your body will react in scenarios where your life may depend on it. One style is not applicable to every single situation. For example, Judo is great against a single attacker but sucks shit against multiple attackers (a very likely scenario if you get jumped by a bunch of redguards.) Self defense situations are not cookie cutter ordeals, and if you find a good gym or school, you will soon find that fighting people is nothing like how it works in your animes.

Work on both hard (striking) and soft (grappling/throwing/joint manipulation) styles because they are both effective in the right scenario. Boxing is a fantastic way to defend against multiple attackers and there are tons of boxing gyms around. The footwork and body movement techniques in boxing are great. Grappling techniques are wonderful for restraining or disabling a single attacker, but once you're tied up with someone on the ground you are vulnerable to their buddies who will promptly kick you in the face if you get the upper hand, or pull you off and hold you down while they all take turns stomping your neck.

t. 4 year Shorinji Kempo student.
>>
Op here

>>32393014

In my head judo was something like i see on tv in olimpics. I searched a bit, and it looks good.

I'm not superman, if 3 guys come at me either i can run, or they get me. The only thing can work theese scenarios if you can take down one of the guys fast enough to intimidate the others.

>>32393123

I have some boxing background (only basics), but i don't want to focus on that. More into grappling, beacuse that wins street fights. If someone been in one knows that you can only threw MAX 1-2 punch before you go into full grapling. IF you can even throw a punch, beacuse they'll get into your face before.

Also: anyone can land a lucky punch, that knocks you out. And i don't want to let that happen. If i get into trouble, where i have to react, i want to make the situation as good as it gets for me. Nobody knows grappling (it's rare), but if i do, i have advantage.

>>32393458
It's mostly to get comfortable to see a knife in a fight. If you never seen it, don't have technique for it, you cant do anything against. I know most of theese "super duper disarming" stuff is mostly bullshit.

>>32393610

I'm not into animes.
What i am asking, is actually what you are suggesting. But i want to learn this all in one "class". Ain't nobody got time fo dat to go 2x /week to boxing, and 2x to judo.

I'm not superman, if 3 guys come at me either i can run, or they get me. The only thing can work theese scenarios if you can take down one of the guys fast enough to intimidate the others.
And if anybody says that striking is the best way for this is stupid. If you get grabbed before you can throw a punch you are fcked (they get into your face before fight occurs). Also: anybody can throw a punch (even if it's poor) and be lucky to hit you / knock you out. I want to avoid the striking part. If someone touches me, i want to just twist his arm, hit him, and throw on the ground in one motion, and back off.

Anyway thanks for the advices, i'll look into bjj too
>>
>>32392822
>flashy kung fu shit

If you don't know anything about martial arts and can't be bothered to actually train in any of them then a "krav maga" blu-ray and two hours in a gym isn't going to save you. I recommend you do cardio and jogging/running but you'll give up after a day. Hide a Ruger LCP in your ass and remember to shout "I've got a gun!" when someone threatens you.
>>
>>32393934

>In my head judo was something like i see on tv in olimpics.
But it is. You just don't get the impression of speed because the opponent knows how to defend and break the fall. If you throw a novice on a hard surface, the results are devastating.
>>
>>32393556
that or whack him in the face with a shovel.
>>
>>32392955
you left out pepper spray, when in a knife fight you really want pepper spray it will improve your odds from one in a hundred to pretty damn good if you can blind your knife wielding opponent.
>>
>>32392839
Dipping tendies in sauce and lifting them up to my mouth counts as training right??
>>
>>32392822

well placed pipebomb
>>
>>32392822
>>
>>32392822
Pretend to be crippled and carry a big stick at all times.

If the law allows it, then in addition to a gun.

Seriously, big stick. Good stuff.

After Big stick and gun, there's a bunch of other things you can try before resorting to martial arts disarms and the like, such as:

>Other blunt implement
>Running away
>Leaving behind the bitch that refuses to run and running away
>Shouting for help loud enough to be heard by the entire city and hoping they'll leave you alone

There is no self-defence method that will make you good enough to defend yourself against a gang of gypsies, slavs, kebabs, nogs or whgatnot; not unless you spend your entire life training.

That said, some modest training will go a long way to make it less likely that you'll get fucked in a 1 on 1 head-on confrontation.

THAT said, it's far more likely you'll be ganged up on. So prepare for that, and don't go alone!
>>
>>32393556
"Let's spend dozens/hundreds of hours preparing to counter an incredibly unlikely scenario with the least effective means possible"
>>
>>32393105
>Krav Maga steals all of its lessons from BJJ, wrestling, and boxing.
I mean, good? An adequate lesson in wrestling, boxing, and BJJ is better than a master lesson in any one, because of what >>32393610 mentioned. If stealing a bunch of techniques and cobbling them together into a style was good enough for Bruce Lee it's good enough for me.
>>
Go to an MMA gym where you will learn striking and grappling
>>
>>32392979
4chan, a magical place
>>
>>32397233
If it saves your life, is it wasted effort?
>>
File: 1475750112660.jpg (15KB, 299x215px)
1475750112660.jpg
15KB, 299x215px
fighting is a sport. anyone who thinks they need a learn fighting for the real world is probably a kid. just learn to throw a good punch and lift.
>>
File: 1475750112660.jpg (32KB, 298x215px) Image search: [Google]
1475750112660.jpg
32KB, 298x215px
shooting is a sport. anyone who thinks they need a learn shooting for the real world is probably a kid. just learn to pull the trigger and lift.
>>
File: 1482357652772.jpg (22KB, 298x215px)
1482357652772.jpg
22KB, 298x215px
>>32397450
lifting is a sport. anyone who thinks they need to learn lifting for the real world is probably a kid. just learn to throw a good punch and pull the trigger.
>>
>>32397367
adds are small you have very very little chance to get attacked by a knife wielder and even less to successfully defend yourself without any weapon. 1:10 for actual skilled martial arts masters. all in all 1 in a million chance to put it to good use successfully. you have to put in hundreds of hours at the very least constantly train and maintain your moves. yeah it's not worth it.
>>
>>32397633
You probably have to spend more time training than you would have to spend working to buy a bodyguard, or convincing some friends to accompany you.

You would also have to spend more time training than you would spend in jail for getting a gun illegally and scaring off any would-be attackers (probably different for actually killing them).

That said, training is healthy and good for you, and killing criminals is good for society.
>>
File: 1475750112660.jpg (33KB, 297x215px) Image search: [Google]
1475750112660.jpg
33KB, 297x215px
>>32397633
training is a sport. anyone who thinks they need a learn training for the real world is probably a kid. just learn to throw a good punch and lift.
>>
>>32395345
Damn. That was super badass.
>>
File: jab and teep.webm (554KB, 486x338px) Image search: [Google]
jab and teep.webm
554KB, 486x338px
>>32393556
>>32393934
Nope.
Unless the cunt with the knife doesn't know what to do with it and is clearly not able to use it correctly (intoxicated or similar), your should run.
>>32397395
> just learn to throw a good punch
That itself is an art that can take a whole life to learn.
>>
You guys are just a bunch of faggots that talk about training but will never do it. You're all a bunch of fucking niggers.
>>
>>32397288

Krav maga is excellent, and designed to be easy to learn and combat ready. But the anon you're responding to has a point when he says that there's a lot of shitty teachers and schools right now. Many are fakes basically teaching aerobics. Most military styles are similarly good for OP's problem

Kung Fu is a huge variety of styles. Depending on what you find, some are pretty good in genuine combat rather than just for show or tournaments.

Which style you pick isn't super important so long as it's combat focused, you have a good teacher, and you put in very hard work.

All this style vs style shit kind of misses the point.
>>
>>32398593
Krav maga is rehashed kick boxing and other martial arts to meet the need to blend in weapons use and defense.

What bothers me is people think it's done fucking amazing thing. It's recycling of martial arts.
>>
>>32398688
it also tends not to be as good as the martial arts it copies
>>
>>32398688
Plus I will say krav maga seems to have exploded with lack of good teachers from other backgrounds.

I have seen krav users horrible as shit foot work. It looks really cool to do the flashy gun grabbing moves, but unarmed fighting...A student needs basic fundamentals from a practical teacher who has applied those fundamentals be it on the street or in a cage.
>>
>>32393216
why is BJJ shit
>>
>>32398778
Because not enough focus on stand-up, both striking and grappling.
We stand on our two legs, not buttscooping or crawling.
It is godly on the ground, but this is just a nice niche.
Some schools/gyms are open minded enough to actually train enough the stand-up striking/grappling distance, but most don't.
>>
>>32392964
>>>gun
>>gun
>>gun
>
>fckin muricans

it's literally the best way to defend yourself, not even lives in cucked yurop where you need a permit to own a knife
>>
>>32398890
Knowing how to do a rear takedown, take the back standing, get out of various headlocks, getting them into guard if they sprawl, are all useful things...But I will agree with you. I see a lot of jui jitsu where people have bad foot work and don't understand keeping their hands up. Or checking.
>>
>>32398778
It teaches too much groundwork for a streetfight, in a one on one fight groundwork may be king so BJJ is great, but if there's a second person you'll just get kicked in the back of the head when you're taking one out.
>>
Here is the only correct and accurate method of self-defence against someone with a knife:

Study it well.
>>
>>32399472
what if they're a faster runner than you
or if you're with your gf and they're a faster runner than your gf
>>
>>32393934
If you have some boxing background, then Judo would be a great fit for you.

Also, if you don't mind learning more striking, the grappling in Muay Thai is pretty solid against anyone who isn't a good at judo or wrestling, definitely enough to keep BJJ guys from doing what they want to.
>>
>>32400254
>what happens if a dude with a sword stabs you???!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!

No idea. I'll go ask Reddit.
>>
>>32400254
get a new hotter gf with the sob story about your old gf getting stabbed and how we should ban swords...
>>
>>32400323
>>32400333
you know what i mean

people say "if someone has a knife the only correct decision is to run away" all the time

but in reality it's not that easy
>>
>>32400384
have a gun. thats really the only other good option
>>
>>32400384
If you're unarmed and you're assailant is both faster than you AND armed, you're pretty well fucked. Unless you can use your environment to your advantage somehow, you're gonna get wrecked.
>>
>>32403079

Learn parkour. All enviorments are now useful
>>
Start here.... http://www.usarmycombatives.com
>>
>>32398899
You know that cucked yurop you won't get shot by random gang members / police / as a mug victim OR IN THE F*N SCHOOL!

Fckin murikans can't think about anything else than see a threat shoot the threat.

Ya know that in cucked yurop the criminals does not have weapon either, beacuse it's hard to achive. Meanwhile in freedom burgerland every fcuking nigger just got one in his pants, and shoot you for 10 bucks.
>>
>>32392822
djibouti shooty
>>
>>32392964
>gun
>gun
>gun

>fckin muricans

I'm not American and I completely agree with that. Don't ever get into a knife fight with somebody. Knives are messy as fuck. You can be the best martial artist ever and you should still be shitting yourself if somebody gets the jump on you with a knife out

Hell, even if you're armed and somebody has a knife on you. If you haven't drawn already, don't. You're going to escalate that situation from robbery to you getting some speed holes. Sure you could be the quickest draw in the west, but I guarantee you'll have a few speed holes before you get a lethal shot off.
>>
>>32404660
Persionally, i like the Jamaican shakein'
>>
>>32399472
What shitty logic is that? The best defense in any situation is to run, but that isn't always an option.

And the exact reason why you should devote a lot of time to knife defense is because they're the most dangerous instrument you're likely to encounter.
>>
>>32404697
Can smartasses fuck off please?

It's way too hard to get a permit to have a gun, and literally impossible to have a permit to carry it. So can yall gunfags shut the fuck up?
GUN IS NOT AN OPTION.

My question was not that what you think i should do in a dangerous situation. My question was about what MA is worth learning to be able to get a guy down in a street fight.

I don't care about running. i dont care about guns. I have brain, i have legs. I know when to run, and when to fight. What i lack is fighting skills.

So can you fucking niggers fuck off with guns and running? Thank you! Jesus
>>
Sambo and Muay thai for hand to hand and Eskrima for knife/baton
>>
>>32404697
There's always the worst case scenario type of thing. Someone gets a jump on you or can outrun you, it's good to know grappling.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>32392964

>gun
>gun
>gun

>fckin muricans
>>
>>32392822

Aikido, Jiu Jiutsu or Judo.

Grappling forms are better as they are far more realistic. Kicking and punching is fun and all, but most actual fights proceed to the wrapped up stage quickly. Competition martial arts (BJJ, boxing, tae kwon do) don't really do much for you in real life.

All of the grappling forms can be rough on the body, so it is important to learn good Ukemi (taking a fall) early in training.

I practice aikido and there is a whole lot of knife defense training. OP's pic has a guy performing a technique from the Hiji Waza. Very easy to break the elbow at this point as the arm is hyper-extended.

And damn, +1 for the advice on cardio. Even a very short fight can leave you tired and out of breath. The energy used with movement, tension, falling and throwing is impressive.
>>
>>32392941
Judo probably wont. I'd go for Jiu-Jiutsu instead. It is broader and encompasses strikes / locks / breaks for quick disabling (if you pull some of the techniques through they are pretty brutal). Afaik it used to be a battlefield martial art and was used if a samurai lost their weapons. In that context force redirection, locks and breaking bones with less striking makes sense.

Other than that I have little to say. Did Jiu-Jiutsu for a few years and our instructor put emphasis on striking neural points like lung, solarplexus, throat, nuts, whatever, break an arm if need may be, and then run off - IF forced to defend yourself. BJJ however is a sport and whilst it may work fine in the ring it might be dangerous in a real fight because it puts you on the ground.

That being said FMA (Eskrima etc) sounds like a solid pick. Those guys are all about knives and short sticks with some empty hand to go along with it.
>>
>>32404738
>literally impossible to have a permit to carry it
Irrelevant. It's always better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

If you can get a gun, carry it. You'll only ever get caught for carrying if you have to use it, in which case it's not the worst outcome.
>>
>>32404794
You are literally retarded.

It is actually almost impossible to get a weapon here. Illegaly and legally too. You have to be really deep into mafia and shit to get a gun illegally.

Legal way is expensive, hard, takes a lot of time. Almost impossible.

GUN
IS
NOT
AN
OPTION

Fucking fagots livin in wester movies or what?
If i shoot a guy for assulting at a bar i'd be in jail for like 15 years instead of fighting him off in 2 sec, and run.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THEESE PEOPLE? you from burgerland?

Literally the police don't use their weapons, beacuse they don't have to. Yearly there are 3-5 times when a police opens fire on somebody.
>>
>>32404812
I don't believe that a gun is impossible to get legally.

Where do you even live, and why the fuck do you stay there? Are you a fucking bong?

>If i shoot a guy for assulting at a bar i'd be in jail for like 15 years instead of fighting him off in 2 sec, and run.
Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you have to use it, retard.
>>
>>32404629
>You know that cucked yurop you won't get shot by random gang members / police / as a mug victim OR IN THE F*N SCHOOL!
The average American who isn´t part of a gangbanger clan will never experience a violent conflict involving firearms.
>Fckin murikans can't think about anything else than see a threat shoot the threat.
That´s a perfectly reasonable approach.
>Ya know that in cucked yurop the criminals does not have weapon either, beacuse it's hard to achive.
You´re uninformed, lying or both. Firearms are easy to acquire, both legally and illegally, in almost every European nation, save Bongland - but you aren´t a bong, judging by your proficiency in the English language, which rules out that option.
>Meanwhile in freedom burgerland every fcuking nigger just got one in his pants, and shoot you for 10 bucks.
Are you a black person? If not, black hoodlums with illegal glocks in their pants are none of your concern.
>>
>>32404812
>It is actually almost impossible to get a weapon here. Illegaly and legally too. You have to be really deep into mafia and shit to get a gun illegally.
Wrong.
>Legal way is expensive, hard, takes a lot of time. Almost impossible.
Wrong.

PS. On the off chance I´m mistaken, please refrain from discussing your chink/gook/jap fears with civilized, armed westerners.
>>
For real? Use a gun. If no gun, then learn Kali for knife work. If it turns to bare hands BJJ, because any fight turns into a ground fight if it lasts long enough...
>>
When virgins from their mom's basement knows better your own country's gun laws.

Gotta love the internet bois. Have fun discussing how good idea is to shoot anybody who is threatening. Op's out.
>>
>>32392822
Self defence aint that hard, fold your fingers but dont make a fist, and the all you have to do is aim for their throat, even the slightest tap will send anyone into a coughing fit for atleast a couple of minutes, hit hard enough and you can even break their windpipe, wich means death if you couldn't figure that out
>>
>>32404823
Usually all you have to do is prove you have a gun and 99% of people would run away
>>
>>32404927
>When virgins from their mom's basement knows better your own country's gun laws.
Do you live in mainland Europe? If so, you have no reason not to atleast keep arms in your own home.
>Have fun discussing how good idea is to shoot anybody who is threatening.
Self-defense legislation is not a part of gun legislation, retard. Use of lethal force against a perceived lethal threat is completely legal in every European country.
>>
>>32392822
Guy in the UK named Goeff Thompson teaches self defense based on boxing and wrestling mostly. Was a bouncer in seedy pubs for like 20 years, in the 80's and 90's.

His "fence" strategy, talking with your hands, and hitting first are good take a ways.
>>
Situation awareness and running away.
If you don't think running is valid or manly then you weren't in real danger to begin with.
>>
>>32392964
>What if my girl is with me
Tell her to run and go get the police, then run one step behind her.
>What if she can't run
Tell her to take her heels off, THEN go get the police and run one step behind her.
>What if she won't run
Then she's retarded and/or wants you to risk bodily harm for her amusement. Drop her like a hot potato.

Realistically, Judo IS your best bet for a practical self-defense martial art, since most fights against untrained fighters end up with wild swinging and body checks, both things Judo is made to handle. If you want a striking art so you can put a nigga down and feel good about yourself, then you're a faggot and you should try MMA. But in the end: the best way to win a fight is to NOT FIGHT, period. We evolved from chimps for a reason.
>>
>>32405006
Not OP but he seems pretty legit. I'll see what info I can get about him online
>>
>>32405035
>If you don't think running is valid or manly then you weren't in real danger to begin with.
Can´t outsprint a chemically propelled, highly accurate and highly lethal projectile.
>>
>>32405065
Can't outdraw one either.
>>
>>32405071
>Can't outdraw one either.
It´s a gamble worth taking, considering the alternatives.
>>
>>32404812
>>32404812
You may be right, OP, but don't expect /k/ to ever admit gunz may not be the best solution to any problem. You should take this conversation to /asp/, where they actually deal with martial arts.
>>
I've seen a lot of mention of knives on this thread, knives scare the shit out of me. I carry a gun cc every day. But I would still run from someone with a knife, especially if they get the drop on me, unless I am 100% certain I have enough distance to draw effectively.

I took a couple of knife courses from a local gym that brought in some ex police officers who taught knife defence in their departments. One thing stood out to me very clearly.

One instructor said "if you can't run, if you can't draw fast enough, then until you can get enough distance to draw, knife fighting is about balancing control of the knife and choosing where you get slashed it stabbed.

Just like in a fist fight, you will get punched, in a knife fight you will probably get cut at some point. I'd rather take some slashes to an arm then my gut or groin. "

The class was eye opening, and taught me how much practice it takes to be able to be proficient in knife defence.
>>
>>32404992
What the fuck are you even basing this on? Pretty much all of mainland Europe shares the same gun laws, which is to say the only people who get permits to carry guns are police officers. The only things exempt from that are hunting rifles, which for obvious reasons can't be carried around wherever you go. There ARE no gun shops, period, and you would need some serious underworld connections to buy one illegally for the same reason.
>>
>>32405163
>Pretty much all of mainland Europe shares the same gun laws, which is to say the only people who get permits to carry guns are police officers.
You don´t need a permit to carry.
>The only things exempt from that are hunting rifles, which for obvious reasons can't be carried around wherever you go.
Concealable handguns are legally available in every mainland Eurocuck country.
> There ARE no gun shops, period, and you would need some serious underworld connections to buy one illegally for the same reason.
Where the fuck do you live? Are you confusing the old world with Korea or Japan?
>>
>>32405209
Live in Greece. Have at various times travelled to England, France and Italy on holiday. (And Cyprus, but that's clearly not "mainland" Europe). Never once seen a gun shop anywhere. The closest thing is "Hunting" shops, which again sell HUNTING RIFLES and accesories thereof (And note that those still require a permit to buy/own/carry). Presumably some shooting ranges might have handguns for practice reasons, but the nearest one is about 50km from where I live so I've never had a chance to test it out. Again, where are you basing your assumption on, besides "I'm American and I know everything about guns"?
>>
>>32392822
>boxing
>judo
>gun
>knife

Now you're set, OP
>>
>>32397633
That goes for traditional martial arts where you "learn moves". Modern scientific martial arts focus on good habits and understanding of body mechanics that make you fight instinctively without the need for rehearsing moves.
I did karate and kung fu for about 7 years, but I learned more in my first month of systema.
>>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SGpDVCkhtD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tldr - In order from highest importanc: a gun, BJJ, boxing, muay thai, wrestling, spoken by a navy seal
>>
>>32405565
Dammit

https://youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4
>>
>>32404759
That Fucking episode gets me every time.
>>
>>32405346
>Never once seen a gun shop anywhere.
Use the phone catalogue or google. A lack of gun shops on every corner does not a disarmed nation make.

>Presumably some shooting ranges might have handguns for practice reasons, but the nearest one is about 50km from where I live so I've never had a chance to test it out.
You´re Greek for Goodness sake - buy an illegal handgun off your nearest tax-dodging, quasi-anarchist local shady street vendor man and be done with it. Where are your balls? Ελευθερία ή θάνατος!

>Again, where are you basing your assumption on, besides "I'm American and I know everything about guns"?
I´m an adult eurocuck who knows his way around basic google maneuvering. Doesn´t take a genius to figure out approximate prices of arms, regardless of their legality, in various jurisdictions.
>>
>>32392822

Boxing. Full stop.

Watch any live leak or whatever video of a person taking on MULTIPLE assailants. The ones where the individual stays on his feet and literally boxes turn out vastly better for that individual. You try to take a guy to the ground or put him in some faggy hold and his buddies will just stomp you into the ground.

You need to maintain your ability to maneuver to always keep free space behind you, or fight until you have that free space. You don't want to end up on the ground. If someone pulls a knife or gun on you either give them what they want, or fucking run. Of you try to grapple a knife away from a determined attacker you will just end up getting cut and stabbed.
>>
>>32393033
if we kill ourselfs the cucks win
>>
>>32392822
Boxing wrestling and some basic jits. You don't need to learn 16 omoplata variations if you can wrestlefuck someone to the ground and beat the shit out of them
>>
Gunfags overlooking on anything to praise guns

what did i expect... not finding nuts people in a mental hospital?
>>
>>32407151
those omoplata variations are fun tho
>>
>>32398593
Fair enough. If OP can't evaluate whether or not the teacher is good, then yeah, it sucks. I guess I'm just spoiled because I know juuust enough martial arts to know whether someone's selling bullshit, even if I'm not great at it.
>>
>>32392870
>not aviable
get underground get some slav friends and shit you pussy
>>
>>32407601
>Gunfags overlooking on anything to praise guns
Security forces worldwide are armed for a reason, anon. Karate and taekwondo simply don´t make the cut.
>>
>>32407875
You're a civilian now. Get off your high horse and abide the law.
>>32407151
Good combo there.
>>32407645
True.
>>
File: 456456456456.jpg (912KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
456456456456.jpg
912KB, 3264x2448px
>>32392822
Only two options, particularly if you're not built for combat (which I assume is most channers); Krav Maga and Systema.
>>
>>32407645
Oh for sure, Bjj is the most fun martial art in my opinion, except maybe wrestling
>>
>>32409055
>dry humping your fellow men is fun
you must be a faggot
>>
>>32409135
You can call him a faggot when he's done pushing your shit in.
>>
>>32409164
i will call him a faggot without without any express conditions or limitations in time space or events taking or not taking place be it real or imaginary thank you.
>>
>>32409135
Don't worry Anon I always remember to say no homo when I pull guard
>>
>>32409055
Judo is more fun. It has equally as involved ground techniques on top of having more interesting throws.
t. someone who's done both.

Here's a compliation video of modern competitions, where the focus isn't even on wrestling on the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz94CiA_OpE
Watch muted, the music is kinda bad.
>>
>>32409211
i did judo when i was a kid literally saved my life once 10 years after i quit.
>>
>>32409245
Speaking of saving one's life, I think people vastly underestimate the importance of knowing how to fall properly. I mean, it's a lot more likely that you slip and break your skull rather than you get attacked by people in a way that's actually survivable, and there's no better art to teach you how to break your fall than judo.
>>
>>32409277
yup exactly what happened. the reflexes kicked in even after so many years. judo really teaches you how to fall.
>>
>>32409211
Judo is also great, I'd like to get into it more but couldn't for a long time literally just because of a scheduling conflict with my gym. We did do Greco-Roman with trips, which is like... slippery Judo I guess
>>
systema a shit. I am twice as afraid of someone who has trained their suplex strength up 50 percent over the course of a year as I am of someone who has trained at systema for their entire lives. I am twice as afraid of someone who has trained their bear hug strength for 6 months than I am of someone who has trained at systema their entire lives.

Every single asian martial art was designed for tiny asian people against tiny asian people. No exceptions (though they obviously sometimes have gone through Americanization). This is coming from someone who has studied kung fu for 11 years and got my kempo black belt at age 13, it is my life passion but I am aware of whats real and what is not.

Most adult men cannot go full tilt in a fight for more than 30 seconds, most adult "martial arts" practitioners probably couldn't go a minute.

There are people who are willing to watch their friend get knocked out, but would mercilessly attack the person trying to snap their friends arm. Bystanders also sometimes fall somewhere in this catagory

The greatest hidden fighting move of the modern world is to punch them really hard in the neck, the second is to squeeze the shit out of their chest, the third is the fact that no one throws straight punches anymore and thusly no one expects them

If you want to become a motherfucker in a fight in any realistic amount of time with only positive returns get a punching bag and beat the piss out of it. When it gets shitty get another and practice slamming the old one, a year of this will put you at the danger level of a 5 year nojutsu practitioner who is on pcp
>>
>>32409478
furthermore I encourage everyone to take everything I posted with a grain of salt and to be as skeptical about martial arts and fighting information you get from professionals as possible
>>
Khridoli is the one I use.
>>
File: IMG_5283.jpg (97KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5283.jpg
97KB, 640x640px
>Learn basic striking and grappling.

Then pick up eskrima.

Before this get a gun and a concelable vest.

This will take up 5+ years of your time and money.
>>
>>32409633
Take your meet June do bullshit and gtfo
>>
>>32409494
>Gives advice not to listen to the Internet but in a previous post, spouts of an incredible amount of bullshit.

You sound like a wannabe.
>>
>>32409478
>Kung Fu... Advice is to punch a bag like a crazy classic text took bad guy.

Well you're full of shit.
>>
>>32405071
Get gud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcC2kf_8f7g
>>
>>32412396
this kind of quickdraw close range stuff is bullshit

I'm all for drawing your gun fast but in reality (try this with sims) you're just hoping your assailant gives up after 1 or 2 shots to the gut. If they don't they can easily latch onto the gun and prevent it from cycling, and now you're falling onto your ass because of your backpedaling, with a malfunctioning gun.
>>
>>32411935
Nice auto correct
>>
>>32393610
3952?
>>
>>32413282
Hah! I love my phone fuck ups. To bad it didn't say meat. Meat kune do.
>>
>>32392822
>Best self defense method?

Any combat sport that encourages competition. A season of scholastic wrestling at a decent program will put you leagues above 99% of everyone else.
>>
>>32393014
>Ground based doesn't really work when you're trying to fend off more than one person as you'll just get kicked the shit out of

If you're fighting more than one person, and they are committed enough to violence to attack you, regardless of whether you go to the ground or not you're very likely getting the shit kicked out of you.

The "don't go to the ground!" meme was started by Krotty players who are still butt hurt about the original UFC tourneys.

>of course Judo isn't BJJ tier stuff or some shit,

Newaza is a huge part of Judo. BJJ has it's origins in Judo. The amount of Newaza to Tachiwaza is only dependent on the specific Judo gym or program you train at.
>>
>>32398890
>but most don't.
How many have you been to? I guarantee it's not enough to make this definitive of a statement.

You're doing what most ignorant cunts do: you're conflating high level gamesmanship and competition strategies meant to address other high level grapplers to an entire system of grappling.

Someone with a few months of BJJ who knows how to pass guard, throw a heel hook, kimura, arm bar, and RNC would absolutely destroy the average person on the street who is very likely to have no training or experience in any combat sport.
>>
>>32399250
>but if there's a second person you'll just get kicked in the back of the head

This literally applies to any fight against multiple people whether you're a BJJ player, a boxer, or a government trained CIA SAD DEVGRU Operator. There is no panacea to fighting multiple people and choosing to strike over grapple isn't going to be the deciding factor in winning or losing a fight against multiple people.
>>
>>32409295
I second this. There were two occasions where I was young that could have ended badly when inline skating. A rock got stuck in one of my skates and I abruptly fell forwards at 40 kph, reduced the energy by properly doing 2-3 forward rolls and got off with just a few bruises. Must have looked quite silly, but it worked. Same for when I fell backwards from the top of a halfpipe, knowing how to handle falling backwards probably prevented something serious here.

Would never have thought it, but learning how to instinctively reduce energy when falling can either soften many impacts by a lot and avoid broken bones or worse, or even help with avoiding the fall.
>>
>>32414237
Actually, I think that for this reason alone MMA, Kickboxing, boxing shouldn't be underestimated. Sure, it is a controlled environment, but if you basically train how to dominate someone who's out to destroy you (even if in a limited sense) WILL give quite an edge in a confrontation due to being used to being attacked and taking hits.

That is not to say that it can replace a proper martial art that does NOT shy away from going for the really damaging or "unfair" stuff, but I believe that in a fight the one with the most experience will probably come out on top. Habituality, muscle reflexes, instinctive responses, such stuff, as opposed to only studying techniques in a vacuum and then failing to respond quickly and instinctively.
>>
>>32406486
if you go on living you become the cuck
>>
I personally trained in Tae Kwon Doe for 3 years so it is obviously my favorite. But as far as being able to defend yourself well against any attacker, from what I've seen Krav Maga is the way to go. Just don't fall for the karambit meme. Karambits are horrible fighting knives and if you wish to carry anything other than a gun carry a 4" fixed blade.
>>
File: IMG_6368.jpg (98KB, 942x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6368.jpg
98KB, 942x960px
>>32392822
The best advice I can give you is that no matter what you do, if it isn't over within 2 seconds, you're gonna get stabbed. It's not like the movies where you have time to do all sorts of long winded flashy moves. The attacker should be either disarmed or incapacitated within roughly 2 seconds of your retaliation begining or he will more than likely kill you. I've been lucky enough to never have to defend myself from a real knife attack, but I've trained with dummy blades and even when I knew it was coming and had had time to chose which technique I was going to use to disarm my opponent, I still struggled. If they really want to get you with the knife then all these convoluted techniques you're taught mean nothing.
>>
>>32393216
And yet its saved my ass quite a few times.
>>
>>32416049
why you guys hate the karambit so much? Its a very viable knife
>>
>>32392822
A striking method and a grappling method

Muay Thai and BJJ is GOAT IMO

Unless you expect to go hand to hand with FSB agents assaulting your CIA blacksite boxing works just fine by itself too.
>>
>>32392822
be careful with "self defense" schools.

A lot of places teach really watered down bullshit. Its extremely hard to find REAL krav maga instructors and probably even harder to find real systema dudes. Systema is bs anyway.
>>
File: turkish wrestling.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
turkish wrestling.webm
2MB, 853x480px
Has anyone trained in Turkish wrestling?
>>
>>32417924
What...In...The...Gay...As...Shit...Fuck???
>>
>>32392833
/thread
>>
>>32417298
No it didn't you're full of shit.
>>
have 3 or 4 good disarming moves from really any given martial art committed to muscle memory.

Spend the rest of the time you would have otherwise spent learning more moves in the gym getting kombat body instead
>>
>>32417937
national past-time of turks
>>
File: jiujitsu guard.gif (4MB, 397x260px) Image search: [Google]
jiujitsu guard.gif
4MB, 397x260px
>>32409211
>Showing a hl where more than one ippon is awarded through osae komi...
It's even worst than buttscooping.
Judoka have a tendence to turtle, which is very freaking bad on the ground, as bad as bjj's to pull guard.
>>32409277
>people vastly underestimate the importance of knowing how to fall properly
>>32414285
Roughly 12, Mostly in Europe, two in the US. The hint is look at the level of bjj competition at whitebelt The stand up game is at the level as the ground game of judo white belts. Worst: it goes up to purple belt. Where judo blue belts and wreslters show the extend of their knowledge, having linked their top and ground game.
This is only for the competition. But if they barely can do it in a semi controlled environement, what about a free enviroement with even more variables?
>Someone with a few months of BJJ (...) would absolutely destroy the average person on the street.
The average person, anybody with the same amount of boxing or wrestling would do the same.
The problem arise if the face someone who ever had the same amount of time training in a competition oriented combat sport with full contact, i.e. boxing, wrestling, judo, muay thai, sambo and such, not to mention good kali or krav school.
>>
>>32419865
i wonder if they still have the ancient greek warriors pankration techniques and how they would fare in a competition. i somehow get the feeling that must have been more no-nonsense as they were practicing for armed combat.
>>
>>32409164
Don't threaten me with a good time
>>
>>32420130
found the other faggot
>>
>>32419880
A lot of pankration techniques are still used today as they're more or less identical across multiple disciplines
>>
>>32420156
At least I have guns nerd
>>
>>32420216
so... it's okay to be a faggot if you also have guns?
or maybe being a faggot is better than being nogunz?
or what?
>>
>>32420240
You won't be calling me a faggot when I tuck you into bed and tenderly kiss you goodnight you little bitch
>>
>>32420264
there is literally nothing you can do that would stop me from calling you a faggot anon.
does that bother you?
>>
>>32420295
You won't be calling me a faggot when I suck your dick and cuddle with you through the cold December night
>>
>>32392822
You're better off asking on the /MAG/ on /asp/ mate and even then we're just going to tell you what's been said a thousand times

Cardio, gun, boxing, judo, wrestling, bjj, muay thai and maybe kyokoshin karate, maybe eskrima for the stickfighting.

Seriously though, CC.
>>
>>32414254
>If you're fighting more than one person, and they are committed enough to violence to attack you, regardless of whether you go to the ground or not you're very likely getting the shit kicked out of you.

It's just way more likely if you're fucking around on the floor with one guy while the others kick you in the head.
>>
>>32414296
It's not about striking vs grappling, it's about standup vs groundwork, it is only physically possible for you to defend or attack one individual person at a time and then standing up after each person with groundwork, with 2 people you're on the ground choking one out and the other just stomps your face because you have no way to dodge, no way to move, no way to do anything but choke the guy you're choking out out, while with throwing or striking at least you have some small minuscule chance of throwing one or stunning with a strike for half a second before having a another small minuscule chance of throwing or stunning the other without getting fucked up by the first
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFKwoWaocI
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.