[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So the Boeing Sikorsky SB-1 Defiant has received its first fuselage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: C0D6b0ZWIAEk4cH.jpg (51KB, 625x500px) Image search: [Google]
C0D6b0ZWIAEk4cH.jpg
51KB, 625x500px
So the Boeing Sikorsky SB-1 Defiant has received its first fuselage at the Boeing Mesa facility for structural and load testing.

This is a pushed prop design helicopter with two counter rotating lift props. The Boeing Sikorsky team are working on a high speed future lift vehicle.

What does /k/ think of the defiant?
>>
It gives me an erection.

>objectively better than the 3 helicopters its replacing.
>>
File: lockheed cheyenne.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
lockheed cheyenne.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>32388611
Looks kinda like a modernized Cheyenne. I like -- but what roles is it intended to fill, and for what services?
>>
>>32388701
I am not entirely sure. Its going to eventually be made into a fully functional testbed as part of the Future Vertical Lift program.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Vertical_Lift

Says its supposed to replace the black hawk, the apache, the Chinook and the kiowa
>>
File: 1282485363097.gif (772KB, 230x173px) Image search: [Google]
1282485363097.gif
772KB, 230x173px
>>32388611
>naming helicopter after a shitty britbong interceptor from WWII
>>
>>32388904
>replace the black hawk, the apache, the Chinook and the kiowa
Not gonna happen. The first and the last, maybe.
>>
>>32388973
Right? It already seems a bit on the small side for a black hawk replacement and I doubt it has the lifting capabilities of a Chinook so I doubt it could replace those. And the Apache is such a daywrecker, I doubt they would go towards a bulkier frame for it.
>>
>>32388611

I take it the flying shortbus design didn't sit well?
>>
>>32389083
I think that was a different companies design lol everything is still in prototyping phase and there are still several contenders
>>
>>32388973
Learn how to parse sentences you dumb hick. This vehicle isn't to replace all of those, it's a testbed for a program to replace all of those. As in there's going to be more than one thing coming from FVL. Stupid hick. You have the language abilities of a black person.
>>
>>32389014
>>32388973
>>32388904
Be aware that FVL is planned to come in 4 flavours, so it's not as if a blackhawk-sized helicopter is going to be replacing all 4. Rather, the idea is that the FVL family will share common systems (eg avionics, engines, etc) and will simply be scaled to suit each role - eg, the attack variant will be smaller and obviously armed and armoured, but use the same propulsion system to offset being denser.

A Chinook replacement would likely see the same engines being used, but more of them being used to spin much larger blades, or possibly multiple sets of blades, etc. AFAIK it's also possible for the FVL family to come from multiple buyers, so the Defiant might win the Apache replacement, but the Valiant might win the Chinook replacement, etc.
>>
File: webbell_v-280-3-24x16-fast-rope.jpg (111KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
webbell_v-280-3-24x16-fast-rope.jpg
111KB, 2000x1333px
I guess the only remaining competitor to the Defiant is the Bell V-280 Valor

Procurement is also looking at 5 different sizes but shared technology and equipment across the family of rotorcraft.
>>
>>32389427
Ha, I was just researching the FVL program and found the same info. This all started with an internal clip of a story in my companies news service.
>>
File: 1481936072036.jpg (52KB, 1000x542px) Image search: [Google]
1481936072036.jpg
52KB, 1000x542px
>>32389427
F-35BS TAKING OFF FROM SUPERHEAVY FVLS PARKED ON FORD CLASS CARRIERS FUCKING

W H E N

H

E

N
>>
>>32388701
Army at first, but the navy might update theirs too
>>
>>32388611
I honestly can't imagine them picking anything other than the Valor. Too much money and time has been spent making tiltrotors viable to not use them.
>>
>>32390190
That's a pretty retarded statement
>>
>>32390212
The range and speed of tiltrotors are superior to anything else. The defiant barely scrapes by the minimum requirements at 264 miles range and 290mph speed. The Valor shatters then with a 2400 mile range and 320mph. The US military spent billions of dollars and decades of research gaining the capability, the defiant simply can't compete.
>>
>>32388611
is that carbon fiber skin?
>>
>>32390329
Please remember that neither of these rotorcraft have even been built so its pure speculation on their statistics. Also, there are concerns about how well a tiltrotor will work in a heavy lift scenario or for loitering and providing fire support or full attack helicopter missions. Same with rapid deployment from a static position. We know what helicopters do in that situation, tiltrotor are still new territory.

>>32390332
Sure looks like it. Boeing has a ton of development in full carbon fiber bodies and large structural composites.
>>
>>32390332
Practically all modern aircraft are made out of composites, which can include carbon fibre, but also includes superior stuff like carbon nanotube epoxy composites.
>>
>>32390690
are carbon nanotubes really beyond meme phase yet
>>
Just barely; around LRIP 4 F-35's started getting built with a bunch of components made from carbon nanotube composites; Lockheed also made some patents in the 2000s for CNTs for use in RAM.

It's going to be a little while longer until more things are made of them, or until they're as common as carbon fibre is in consumer products.
>>
They tested one last year I think. The X-2 demonstrator hit the 300 MPH in testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNXJE2gKVK4
>>
File: long bow.jpg (45KB, 931x642px) Image search: [Google]
long bow.jpg
45KB, 931x642px
>>32388904
>Says its supposed to replace the black hawk, the apache, the Chinook and the kiowa
>apache
Fucking hilarious, good joke.
>>
>>32390539
Biased Sikorsky commercial engineer here. I've heard from coworkers familiar with Bell that marines/etc tend to fly the osprey like a helicopter when deploying from a static position and that's been causing a ton of wear on the airframe as it's really not meant to be flown like a helicopter. It's pretty much a vtol plane.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that any system designed so that the blades explode when they hit the ground if there's a mechanical malfunction on the tilt is retarded.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.