[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I get the rcbs rock chucker kit, plus dies and shell holders,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

If I get the rcbs rock chucker kit, plus dies and shell holders, will I have all that I need to begin reloading (already have manuals)? Aside from components of course.

I am planning on picking a WFT for when I need a trimmer but I figured this would be good to get me started learning the basics of hand loading.

Any thoughts on what else I should get?
>>
I'd get a little digital scale, a powder trickler, and something to remove primer pocket crimp like the lyman multi tool... Probably wouldn't hurt to pick up a tumbler either walnut, or wet SS pin media... What do you plan to reload?
>>
File: PC090048.jpg (3MB, 3200x2400px)
PC090048.jpg
3MB, 3200x2400px
>>32387850
also make or buy spray lube if you are doing rifle... the lube pad is a pain in the ass...
>>
>>32387816
the rock chucker is a solid press, and their priming tool is almost as good as the Lee model

analog scales are faster and more accurate than digital ones.

this kist is good, yoiull need the dies for your calibers which will come with a case langth gauge/trimmer guide, and shellholder

get a few extra reloading trays

dont use the powder trickler. they always throw random weights especially in large grain powders. i have one and have never used it after testing it a few dozen times and finding wide variations in dispensed weight

Quikshot case lube is fast, easy and cheap, it's your best friend (use sparingly)

ALWAYS get carbide dies, and ALWAYS get the die set with the factory crimp die

even if you dont want to crimp now, you will soon.

the RCBS autotrimmer is awesome but expensive considering you may discover you hate reloading.

other than that, the RCBS starter kit is great.
>>
>>32387816
youll need something to clean the brass with, a tumbler is pretty straight forward.
i got the same kit last year, i like it.
also get some imperial sizing wax, much better and user friendly than caselube
>>
>>32387913
> tumbler
true dat.

dont fall for the "polishing media" scam.

walnut shell and corncob works great with no extra cleaning required.
>>
>>32387816
> calipers
> tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner
> media (Zilla Desert Blend Lizard Litter + Nu Finish)
> case trimmer
> Spray bottle + Liquid Lanolin + IsoHEET
> dies
> RCBS bullet puller die
>>
>>32387913
>>32387960
get a rock tumbler from harbor freight, and some stainless steel tumbling media. Works 100x better than corncob or walnut media and actually cleans inside the primer pocket and case.
>>
>>32387995
>Liquid Lanolin + IsoHEET
What is that shit for? Lanolin looks like you'd use it to lube the cases? What is the HEET for?
>>
>>32388144
It's a DIY case lube. Lanolin+90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol does the same shit, and is basically what Dillon's $12-a-4oz-bottle spray case lube is.
>>
>>32388144
the IsoHEET thins the lanolin enough that it can be applied with a spray bottle to a pile of brass, and then it evaporates to leave an even coating of lanolin. It doesn't take much. Like a spray or two for 100 .223 cases
>>
>>32388225
Here's the IsoHEET MSDS, which are a great way to find out what you are being sold:

http://www.servicechamp.com/images/28202msds.pdf

You can buy all sorts of solvents at great prices at hardware stores to see what you prefer.
>>
>>32388205
>>32388225
Are there any benefits to using DIY lube instead of just using rem oil or hoppes or something?
>>
>>32387816
>he fell for the reloading kit meme
>>
>>32388338
Yes
>it's cheaper than Hornady 1shot/Dillon Case Lube/Imperial Sizing Wax
>you're not gonna get a case fucking super beyond stuck like you would using hoppes or remoil
>doesn't contain any petroleum distillates/byproducts so 100% safe to use around gunpowder
>did I mention it's cheap? You can make half a gallon of it for like ten bucks, which would do hundreds of thousands of cases
>>
>>32387867
>ALWAYS get carbide dies, and ALWAYS get the die set with the factory crimp die
So are rcbs dies out? Or if I get these
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/mobile/RCBS-Small-Base-Rifle-Die-Set/productDetail/Reloading-Dies/prod99999041114/cat100146
Plus the Lee factory crimp die will I be fine? Primarily reloading .308 and soon some 6.5 creed, as well as some pistol ammo.
>>
>>32388348
This.

Always piece together a kit. You're going to end up swapping out everything but the press itself.
>>
Case trimmer. It is a must have if you will be reloading rifle cartridges as they grow about 5 thou every time you shoot them. Also get a progressive instead if you are doing pistol cartridges. If you fuck with pistol bullets on a single stage you will loose your mind post haste.
>>
>>32388338
you get 4x the stuff for the same price
>>
>>32388385
Buy carbide pistol dies (good luck finding NON-carbide pistol dies anyway).

The only company I know that makes carbide rifle dies is Dillon, and they only make them for .308 and .223. And they suck for precision, they're strictly for volume-loaders for blasting ammo.

>>32388428
But most of it you will either never use or replace with something you paid full price for anyway.
>>
Is the hornady lock and load bushing a good fit to get with the rcbs?
>>
>>32388458
Yes, I haven't used the exclusive LnL dies in many years after I got the bushing conversion.
>>
>>32388449
I've had the same bottle of lanolin + Iso-HEET lube for over 4 years now. I've used it exclusively and have never had any trouble with cases getting stuck.
>>
>>32387865
Fuck your battle buddy, there is only one true battle buddy.

The standard poodle, a true hunting dog
>>
File: PB040007.jpg (2MB, 1800x3200px) Image search: [Google]
PB040007.jpg
2MB, 1800x3200px
>>32388406
meh... the lee kit is still cheaper than buying the worthwhile stuff separately...
>>
>>32388509
Okay, and?

Did you quote the wrong post or something?
>>
>>32388552

>>32388509 >>32388449 >>32388428 >>32388338
>>
>>32388625
dude are you okay?

Are you drunk, retarded, or having a stroke?
>>
>>32388552
>>32388788
you quoted the wrong person originally and then got all butt hurt when someone responded to the logical progression...
>>
>>32388819
So I did. But since you just fucking spammed links to at least 3 separate peoples' posts like a low-functioning autist having a seizure I couldn't fucking tell what the hell you were on about.
>>
>>32388884
That wasn't me... calm down or you are going to wake up your mom...
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.