[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What weapon is best for sailing ships in this day and age for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: raider-cannon-lg.jpg (38KB, 700x501px) Image search: [Google]
raider-cannon-lg.jpg
38KB, 700x501px
What weapon is best for sailing ships in this day and age for protecting against pirates or rogue navy ships acting unlawfully?

Would a small black powder cannon still suffice?

Modern pirates typically have automatic weaponry, but they tend to use small and fast boats and operate in flotillas of two or more motor boats.

What would you mount on a yacht if you had one and wanted to be secure?
>>
File: 02-RBG - The Ye Ole Cannon Maker.jpg (312KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
02-RBG - The Ye Ole Cannon Maker.jpg
312KB, 1600x1143px
It should be something that isn't insane. For example, nobody will bother you for having a signal cannon you repurpose for self defense.

Nothing like an artillery cannon that can shell things ten miles away.
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (127KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
127KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: sailboat.jpg (398KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
sailboat.jpg
398KB, 1224x1632px
>>32384616
>small black powder cannon

my dad built a sailboat and is intent on installing exactly what you have pictured.
>>
20mm or 50cal rife, the sea gives you the advantage to spot other ships hours before they are within small arms range. You need to take advantage of that fact and a small signal cannon will have shit accuracy beyond 100ft.
>>
>>32384616
Buy an old transferable Vickers gun and put it on a swivel mount just like in the OP.
>>
>>32384616
>What would you mount on a yacht if you had one and wanted to be secure?
My yacht would be a submersible.

You can't get me if you can't see me or shoot me.
My yacht would have whipple shields to protect from torpedoes.
>>
>>32384655
Wait a minute, that's not Ruth Bader Ginsburg!
>>
File: 1374407214349.jpg (2MB, 4275x2850px) Image search: [Google]
1374407214349.jpg
2MB, 4275x2850px
>>32384616
>rogue navy ships
They're just going to try to ram you to make you go away, if you fire anything at them you're going to get peppered by CIWS and naval guns.
>pirates
An anti materiel rife or rifle with long reach and high capacity mags.
>>
>>32384616
If I had a yacht, I would keep two .50 caliber brownings on port/starboard each with two man crews (Maybe have a runner bringing ammo to both crews, or each their own runner).

Both men are armed with ARs and man the .50 as a standard loader/gunner until it either comes under fire or is damaged/unusable.

Say they came from the stern and skirted the side to avoid the guns, the two men would simply open fire with their rifles.

I'm sure some .50 AP or even explosive/incendiary rounds would royally fuck a flotilla or dinghy's ass beyond recognition, any heavier guns would probably become too unwieldy, especially since you aren't really manning them 24/7
>>
>>32384882
>They're just going to try to ram you to make you go away,
Can't ram me if I'm submerged.

>if you fire anything at them you're going to get peppered by CIWS and naval guns.
Little do they know I'm actually a minelayer.

>An anti materiel rife or rifle with long reach and high capacity mags.
Bullets don't penetrate water that well.
>>
Somewhat related but I've been saving up for a boat for a few years and was wondering how I could arm it. I think my main gun would be a long as fuck barrel, double barrel 10ga 3.5in magnum. I think some big fuck ass slugs coupled with some big buckshot load would be good anti-boat weapon. I'm kinda torn on the rest though. For boarding/getting boarded you would think something like an SBR AK would be good. Although a semi-auto shotgun with a little lighter loads could be better if you are planning to steal a ship and don't wanna put a bunch of rounds through the hull. For ship to ship I'm undecided on a precision .308 or a .308 battle rifle to have follow up shots to make for inaccuracy due to rough seas but still have range and power.
>>
>>32384616
FNAR
>>
>>32384870
>>32384906

>submersible yacht

Look guys, I know submarines are cool and all, but wind power is free.

Power boats absolutely drink gas like crazy.

>>32384835

20mm seems like a good idea but the ammo is insanely expensive.

What's the largest caliber legally allowed without needing to register it?

I'm considering old fashioned black powder cannons because IIRC there's no caliber limit.
>>
>>32385006

I'd prefer a permanent mounted weapon.

It won't get lost or stolen as easily.

>FNAR

Someone knows what a certain anti piracy PMC uses.
>>
>>32385057
50 cal depending on state
>>
>>32384616
Against poor, aids riddled pirates?

Guy in the crow's nest with a scoped rifle and preemptive strikes. See how fast they turn around when the guy operating the motor is suddenly missing half his head.
>>
>>32384616
I've wondered about the legality of mounting a black powder cannon on your ship. What about black powder breech loaders?
>>
>>32385057
>Power boats absolutely drink gas like crazy.
Then I make it extended range electric and put solar panels on the deck.

>but wind power is free.
Good point. I replace the mast with a turbine.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.