[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a Scottish military look like? Considering they have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: map_of_uk_600x675px_1.jpg (73KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
map_of_uk_600x675px_1.jpg
73KB, 600x675px
What would a Scottish military look like? Considering they have all those Islands and a population of only 5m. England has 55m by comparison.
>>
in this hypothetical situation has scotland left the UK? if it did and this is the best situation then it would probably be a small but expensive and well trained army.
realistically scotland would be poor as fuck so it would be a small shitty army.
>>
>>32379380
The White Paper, produced by the Holyrood administration, says it would have an annual defence budget of £2.5bn and at the point of independence it would have a land force of 3,500 troops and 1,200 reservists.

As well as artillery, engineering and medical capabilities, it would also include an aviation unit with six helicopters.

The maritime forces would include two frigates from the Royal Navy's current fleet, four mine counter measure vessels and two offshore patrol vessels.

It would also have other patrol boats and support ships and it would need 2,000 personnel and 200 reservists.

For the air force, it would have a quick reaction alert squadron of 12 Typhoon jets; a tactical transport squadron of six Hercules aircraft and a helicopter squadron. That section of the defence set up would need 2,000 personnel and 300 reservists.

The aim would be to have a total force of 15,000 personnel with 5,000 reservists across the three services after 10 years of independence.
>>
>>32379510
thats actually not that bad for such a small population with such a low GDP
>>
Scotland has almost the same GDP and population as Finland so you could look at their military.
>>
>>32379510
Hmmm, I imagine they would fund a reasonably good marine force aswell, because of the islands
>>
>>32379510
>The aim would be to have a total force of 15,000 personnel with 5,000 reservists across the three services after 10 years of independence.

You cannot be serious, you would need at least 100,000 regulars and a Navy and Airforce that doesnt need outside help to function.
>>
>>32379510
>The White Paper

This hasn't been agreed by the UK government, and I don't think it will. It's just scotcucks claiming what'll happen and is literal pure propaganda on the leftist front to try and appease to the more right wing "Remain" voters.
>>
>>32379510

This of course ignores reality.

They wouldn't get the frigates, the Typhoons, the C-130 or the helos. They can't afford to keep them operating or updated anyway.

A Scottish Defence Force would be some light infantry, a few trucks and if they're lucky some second hand helos after the UK was done with them. Maybe some RHIBs.
>>
They're best off with a volunteer militia, and a small professional land force.

With Briton (I assume thats what its called without Scotland in it) nearby, a navy and air force are worthless.
>>
>>32380592
Basically this, the British government isn't going to give them shit that isn't already being built in Scotland besides maybe some trucks and jeeps.

Think Ireland's army, no real utility except blue helmet busy work.
>>
>>32379510

Utter delusional scotts.

They'd be looking at something like Ireland's military.
>>
>>32379380
Bunch of dudes in skirts and with facepaint standing in the moor waving claymores.
>>
>>32382454
Culloden Moor was the best thing to ever happen to Scotland, even if their boundless autism won't let them realize it.
>>
>>32379510
England could easily defeat that.
>>
Why would Scotland leave the UK?

That's a dumb idea.
>>
>>32382783
Why would anyone leave? Does the commonwealth not have several benefits that outweigh being able to call your country a republic? Australia is going to decide on whether to leave when the Queen dies. I seriously can't think of a benefit to leaving. Indonesia is about become the next middle east because of faggot muslim priests calling for armed uprisings. Australia needs to be backed up in case this leads to some kind of muslim invasion.
>>
>>32382808
>Does the commonwealth not have several benefits that outweigh being able to call your country a republic?
Can't you be a Republic and still be a part of the commonwealth?
>>
File: is.jpg (239KB, 926x695px) Image search: [Google]
is.jpg
239KB, 926x695px
>>32382808
>Australia needs to be backed up in case this leads to some kind of muslim invasion.
>muslim invasion

Aren't we already enduring that?
>>
>>32379380
>Army
Small deployable force for international peacekeeping.
Small artillery.
Some IFVs.
Main purpose is peacekeeping and having a core to build a larger military around should it be needed.

>Navy
2-5 Frigates
2-4 Diesel subs
Ocean-going patrol vessels

>Air force
24 Single engine fighters (Gripen NG/ F16-V/F35)
Small ASW aircraft (ASW ATR 72)
>>
>>32382826
I don't think so.
>>
>>32382886
So, the New Zealand military?
>>
>>32382772
The UK, or just England?
>>
>>32382944
Lol no. The kiwis have no air force whatsoever. Not a single plane. Their entire defense strategy is to rely on Australia.
>>
>>32382941
South Africa and Fiji aren't members of the Commonwealth? Better let these guys know: http://thecommonwealth.org/member-countries
>>
>>32382953
Just england. They have hundreds of planes. In modern conventional warfare, the battle for air supremacy will be the only one that matters.
>>
>>32382957
Neither of those countries are a republic. Fiji in particular is a junta.
>>
>>32382886

Excluding second hand APCs, they'll be able to afford none of that.
>>
>>32382955
>The kiwis have no air force whatsoever. Not a single plane.
No fighters. Herc and Orions, yes.
>>
File: Ammo.jpg (245KB, 732x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ammo.jpg
245KB, 732x1024px
They'd probably have something similar to my own country, Ireland.

A small, well trained force of about 10.5k men
>>
>>32382965
South Africa, officially the Republic of South Africa (RSA), is the southernmost country in Africa. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa

Fiji officially the Republic of Fiji is an island country in Melanesia in the South Pacific Ocean - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji

Damn, fooled by wikipedia again!
>>
Republic of Scotland Royal Army:
>15 Infantry Divisions
>8 Artillery Companies
>8 Tank Brigades
>2 Engineering Batallion
>1 Logistics Brigade

Republic of Scotland Royal Air Force:
>120 F-35A
>100 Gripens
>50 Apache Longbows
>100 Transport + Utility aircraft

Republic of Scotland Royal Navy:
>1 Nuclear Carrier
>12 Destroyers
>20 Frigates
>30 smaller vessels, minesweepers etc.
>4 Nuke subs
>4 Conventional subs

+Reserves for all

And no, this isn't a fantasy. If Scotland was independent and had control of her OWN OIL, then we would actually be able to do this. Instead it all goes to Westminster, and we never see anything back.
>>
>>32383047
>And no, this isn't a fantasy

made me laugh hardest out of it all

like holy shit anon, you should have your own show
>>
>>32383047
So this Royal Republican (?) military is gonna fund a better armed force than the whole of Britain because of what's left of the North Sea oil?
>>
>>32383047
>And no, this isn't a fantasy.

This is *actually* what Scottish nationalists believe.
>>
>>32383067
Well given that most of SCOTLAND'S OIL MONEY goes to paying for the English NHS and benefits, yes there is enough money in that oil to keep Scotland well defended and still pay for all other services (plus English reparations from 300 years of illegal occupation).
>>
>>32383075

You're more deluded than the Boston plastic paddies.
>>
File: 1476840346962.jpg (31KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
1476840346962.jpg
31KB, 500x313px
>population of ~ 5 million
The Scots would have basically nothing, probably a 7,000 land force, no airforce and a couple dinghies. Anything else is a masturbatory fantasy.
>captcha: select all the tea
>>
>>32383075

Is there nothing more of a sign for mental illness, than being an SNP member?
>>
>>32383092
We'll see who's deluded come Referendum day 2.0.
>>
>>32383097

Whilst I know you're taking us for a ruse cruise, some Scottish nationalists do believe this.
>>
>>32383109
Scottish nationalists are like a tramp in a vomit stained box in a ditch with 3 other tramps in boxes who suddenly thinks they're cramping his style
>>
>>32381332
>With Briton (I assume thats what its called without Scotland in it)
*Britain. Briton is the word for an inhabitant of Great Britain, so either an Englishman, Welshman, or Scot.

But it'd still be called the United Kingdom, assuming Northern Ireland remains. It'd be something like, "The United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland"

If Scotland and Northern Ireland left, I dunno what it'd be called. Wales and England were called the Kingdom of England, because Wales was annexed to England originally, but Wales now gas a devolved parliament, so it'd probably be the Kingdom of England and Wales for PC reasons.
>>
Their best bet would be to go full Switzerland.

But since this is scucktland we're talking about, most likely a better armed national police force. With some helos and boats.
>>
File: roachbattleformation.jpg (72KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
roachbattleformation.jpg
72KB, 500x572px
>>32379380
pic very related
but with northern monkeys instead of southern roaches
>>
>>32383047
>her own oil

I think the oil companies might have something to say about that.
>>
File: elitescottishmonkey.jpg (131KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
elitescottishmonkey.jpg
131KB, 400x325px
>>32383047
Reading you makes me wish scotland gets independence. I think very few things have such a potential for being fucking funny as scottish reduced to sloshing in their own shite, without always getting a helping hand like is the case now.
>>
>>32382886

SNP voter detected..
>>
>>32383047
and all of your education fees and medical fees that are paid for by england would drain your oil money
>>
>>32382941
You can be a member of the commonwealth while being a Republic. The real argument for retaining the British Monarch is you don't have to fuck about with the costs of maintaining a president and having an election for said president. Plus it allows the public to focus on the real meat of politics in parliament rather than care about who is the President.

The US is an example I'd say.
>>
>>32383047
>>32383429

Ignore him, he's a fucking brainwashed bawbag.

As a Scotsman I think it's disgusting as it is how much we suck taxes from the English to maintain our welfare circus up here.

A while back the Scottish Government was arguing for a 50-50 budget split between England and Scotland.

Scotland has roughly 5.9 million people.
England has roughly 53 million people

The fact they suggested that with a straight face just embarrasses the fuck out of me.

Scottish Nationalists are just brainwashed teens that want to believe they're going to get "Freedom" from the evil English. Even though it was a Scottish King that United the two Kingdoms to form the UK.
>>
>>32383047
>If Scotland was independent and had control of her OWN OIL

>hurr i have no idea how tax works

The white paper listed a pitiful military force - and that was at $100 a barrel - remind me what it is now?
>>
>>32383518
The fact you guys get free uni and free medicine annoys me, more because it's not really fair that one kingdom supports all of the others so much. Should be all or nothing.

yet the SNP just bitch and fucking moan about how bad it is for them, yet they get shit that we wouldn't
>>
>>32379380
We already make up a disproportinate amount of the British armed forces considering our population. Its not a massive proportion, but bigger than youd expect.
>>
>>32384017
The North in general is overrepresented, because job prospects are pretty poor for young men, unless you like working in Greggs.
>>
>>32383608
the SNP don't like people to remember that wealth the divide isn't between England and Scotland,but Scotland and the south of England compared to the North of England, N.IReland and Wales.
>>
>>32383075
The union was a scottish idea, you lot are the ones that owe reparations.
>>
>>32382772

>>
File: map-Eu-referendum.jpg (99KB, 590x852px) Image search: [Google]
map-Eu-referendum.jpg
99KB, 590x852px
>>32382783
Scotland wants to be more like Sweden, but England won't let them.
>>
>>32383146
It'd still be United Kingdom, I think, because changing it would cause so much hassle.

Our post, websites, etc. A lot of things would break if we started calling it something else.
>>
>>32384017
It's not just Scotland, it's the north in general. More soldiers come from the north than the south. I'm from Yorkshire. I had one 2lt from the south, and he fucked off to work in Aldi as some gay manager. He's earning less now, but he says he prefers it, silly man. I don't know how he commissioned.

>>32384040
This. There's hardly any jobs, whether you're clever or not. Not that being in is like switching off your brain, it's not, I'd rather be a barrister, but it's more convenient than squabbling over the two jobs or so jobs that pop up every year.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.