[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about writing a story about a tank and its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

I'm thinking about writing a story about a tank and its five man crew. But I have no idea about tank warfare, tank commands, things that the commander, gunner, loader and others say to each other. You know, military talk.

Are there any books, sites, movies that you would recommend? The story I have in mind would be based on WW2, so the technology would be limited..
>>
>>32366715
Autobiographies, books by tank commanders. What country is your crew from and what tank are they in?
>>
>>32366731
Germany, something akin to a Panzer 4, or a Panther or Tiger.
>>
Sounds like it would be a real Hassel to do this...
>>
Stuff from the Germans is harder to find. Otto Carius has a book, can't remember the name. It would be much easier to find British or American books.
>>
>>32367318
The book is Tigers in the mud. There's english translations which shouldn't be hard to find.
>>
>>32366825

I see what you did there....
>>
>>32366715
I recommend watching Fury (Just watch the battle scenes on youtube.) and The Beast/The Beast of War.

Unless you're actually going to be writing in German, you'll probably use the same English terminology as any other media. While there will definitely be differences from the German words, you'll get a good idea of how the crew interacts.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti5cE7GjABQ
>>
The words you need are
>Die straßenrad ist kapput und die ketten is aus.
>Fick mich.
>>
oy go to writefaggeneral(wfg) and ask jtfag knows quite a bit bout tanks
>>
>>32366715
Books by Steve Zaloga
>>
>>32366825
Kek
>>
Obligatory.

>"The 75(mm gun) is firing. The 37(mm gun) is firing, but it is traversed round the wrong way. The Browning is jammed. I am saying "Driver advance" on the A set, and the driver, who can’t hear me, is reversing. And as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich."
>>
>>32366715
watch 'The Beast of War'

>fuck Furry
>>
File: IMG_0066.jpg (217KB, 1180x1813px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0066.jpg
217KB, 1180x1813px
>>32366715
Pic related research material.
>>
File: Gunheads_novel_cover.jpg (103KB, 440x714px) Image search: [Google]
Gunheads_novel_cover.jpg
103KB, 440x714px
>>
I may catch shit for this but David Drakes Hammers Slammers series is some of the best writing about Armoured life I've seen.He was with the Blackhorse in Nam and and it really shows in the way he makes it feel so familiar.
>>
>>32366715
Oh I know what will help him, the Beast movie, he should check that ou.....
>>32368139
Ok, I guess that was too obvious, what about that book from warhammer 40k, it's pretty obscure and a great read too, Gunhea...
>>32372481
I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE STOP PROVING ME WRONG!
>>
You could try Kelly's heroes. It's got a good number of scenes with shermans.
Only issue is the characters are fairly unique and it would be difficult not to plagiarise them
>>
>>32366715
DO what other anons said and watch Girls Und Panzer,

https://youtu.be/TRcZ_IP9uEU
>>
File: t34vst2.jpg (124KB, 970x721px) Image search: [Google]
t34vst2.jpg
124KB, 970x721px
>>32366715
You should try the "T-34 vs tiger" game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-w8aonxdI
>>
>>32366715
from a tanker
you will never be able to make it realistic unless youve been in a tank crew and know what youre talking about

but if you're still keen
https://youtu.be/HyrAqNv1odM
just search youtube

crew is usually

Commander
his tank, his rules. constantly listening and reporting on radio, taking orders and telling the driver where to go and gunner where to look

Gunner
senior and generally doesnt do much other than gun maintenance and obviously shoot (only shoots when directly told by commander to shoot)

Loader
in charge of radios, cooking meals and most importantly making coffee. only other person thats outside the tank so he helps commander look out for things when hes not inside loading. also in charge of stores, making sure everything is strapped down. also helps driver

Driver
generally newest member is the driver. vehicle maintenance is hes main responsibility along with not killing the other crew by driving in to a crater the size of the moon. best job, no real responsibility and tucked away from the rest of the crew

of course different tank but it can help build an image

tanks are always with other tanks and support
no lone wolf bullshit
death before dismount
>>
>>32366715
>>32373275
And see "The Misfit Brigade" movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvoMn9qMO0
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.