[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I build a reasonably good mid-length AR-15 for ~600 dollars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 1432849498001.png (13KB, 418x359px) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13KB, 418x359px
Can I build a reasonably good mid-length AR-15 for ~600 dollars? What's the entry level price range?

Is there an infographic for this?
>>
>>32366604
Palmetto State Armory
>>
>>32366604
Anderson lower and anderson lpk should run about 150,buy an 80 bcg off psa 230 and buy a aero precision upper with the leftover money.
>>
>>32366604

also how do I take apart the bolt to clean it, the army never taught me that
>>
>>32366604
All the stores near me sell prebuilt standard ar's for 600
>>
Would an M&P AR-15 be a good starter for someone who's new to the AR platform? Is it really any functionally different than rifles in the $1500-$2000 range?
>>
>>32366635
YouTube.
>>
>>32366635
>remove pin
>remove firing pin
>push in bolt face
>rotate and remove cam pin
>remove bolt
>>
>>32366646
All gas operated ars are the same.
>>
>>32366690

the bolt itself, not the bolt carrier
>>
>>32366604
should be able to go to your LGS/big-box store and get a M&P or dpms oracle for ~$600. it won't be super Gucci, but it'll shoot. you can upgrade it as you get the funds later
>>
>>32366646
Yeah it's a good starter. Functionally the differences will be triggers and barrels.
>>
>>32366746

wouldn't I get a better result for the price if I buy the parts separately?
>>
>>32366784
Not really, you'd need ~$100 worth of extra tools assuming you have a vise and adequately filled toolbox.
>>
Different guy: How important is a chrome-lined bore? Is it old tech that's surpassed by nitriding/melonite, or is it still worth getting?
>>
>>32366799

Okay. Should I get a mid-length or full size you think? I've shot the M4A1 and M16's in the army, and I prefer the M16, but I'm wondering if the 16" barrels would be a better tradeoff than the 14.5" ones.
>>
>>32366826
It's up to you and how you want it to look. There is no real difference you'll find with them. If you want to use it for HD I'd get the shorter. Other than that it's all about what you want it to look like with the barrel length.
>>
>>32366824
Old tech, buy it if you can get a great deal (talking same barrel but half as much) but the new stuff is good.
>>
>>32366824
I don't own any rifles with chrome lined barrels, but having non-chromed barrels just requires going by the old philosophy of "if you shoot it, clean it."
The chrome lined barrels tend to last longer from what I understand, but should make no difference in accuracy
>>
>>32366824
For most shooters it will never matter, just get a barrel known for accuracy and take care of it.
>>
>>32366784
it would depend on the parts you're putting in. if you're planning on dropping in a $300 match-grade trigger, there's no question that that trigger would out-perform a stock M&P trigger. but with a budget ~$600, the quality you'd get from a parts build vs a prebuilt is comparable. if you factor in the price of tools (assuming you don't own punches/vises) you'll pay more for a parts build than if you had bought a prebuilt.
>>
>>32366799
Meh in comparison to what is in the 600 dollar range it can be better.im terms of barrel a ballistic advantage barrel is amazing in both durability and accuracy.on top of that free floating a barrel and installing a low profile gas block is easier than installing a a2 gasblock/front sight combo.
>>
>>32366826
You cant have a 14.5 unless you pin a weld a flashhider or muzzle break on it or go through the nfa.so you are stuck with 16 by default.
>>
>>32366604
I looked into building my own before. Model 1 appears to be reliable and has some good prices on the rifle. Then you could get what you want and not worry about what the stores have. Check with FFLs in your area.

>https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=184
>>
>>32367017
Hello no he can get better parts from psa for less. Grab this http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-556-1-7-mid-mel-lw-keymod-freedom-upper-w-bcg-ch.html
Stick it on this
http://www.surplusammo.com/anderson-am-15-ar15-complete-lower-with-m4-collapsing-stock/
>>
>>32367095
I just had that bookmarked from when I was looking into an a2(best AR) build.
>>
>>32366604
Just buy a fukin Ruger 556
>>
>>32366604
check brownells for deals and get one of the Aero AC-15's. During Black Friday they were selling the OEM guns for stupid cheap
>>
The AERO AC-15M is something ive heard is decent. I am in the market for my first AR and this is something im looking into to.
Any more veteran AR guys know if you can mod/upgrade prebuilt AR's like the one I am looking into?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.