[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ I am seriously considering joining the marines after I finish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 090511-platypus-02.jpg (47KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
090511-platypus-02.jpg
47KB, 650x433px
/k/ I am seriously considering joining the marines after I finish my senior year. I don't want to spend the next 2 or so years working the same retail job and going to school for a degree and job i'm not even sure I want. Everyone I try to talk to about my decision, all they say is "don't join anon you will die/get shot/waste your young adult hood" my brother is the only one who seems to support me and giving me helpful advice for a head start. Is there really any drawbacks to joining into the military? (besides getting killed of course but that can happen at any job.)
>>
>>32360934
>peacetime corps
Go Navy or Air Force if you want benefits and job training for when you get out.
>>
>>32360934
Getting shot is incredibly unlikely, you're far more likely to get blown up in some part of Afghanistan when their IEDs don't manage to explode on themselves for once. Or more likely, you'll do a single enlistment without deploying to a combat zone, fuck you knees up while bitching about the corps, get out, go to college, and talk about the "glory days" and hoe much you hate college
>>
>>32360934
>Disadvantages
You're going to get out after 4 years with no degree and almost certainly no job experience to put on your resume. Your body will be fucked up more than your peers too and you'll have made less money than you would in your retail job.

Don't do it.
>>
I used to want to join the muhreens too and I'm glad I didn't. The pay was going to be shit and so was the work.

My advice? Learn a trade.
>>
You can get better use of your time by doing a trade. Learn to be a machinist, or something else useful. Get the loans/grants everyone gets, put in 2 years, and get rewarded with money.
>>
>>32361080
>no job experience

Honestly, any job outside of the 03XX Field provides some level of job experience. Cook, mechanic, hell even supply can say they handle "logistics, receiving and freight/general warehouse experience" which is actually in moderate demand these days, especially with forklift operation experience.

>>32360934
You're not to die, even if this was 2007, "Let's fuck up Iraq/Afghanistan" your chances of deploying were still fairly low and the chances of dying even lower.

Join for no reason other than you want to have the experience of having served. You'll get some bad memories out of it but a lot of good ones as well along with some really good friends, a few of which you'll stay in touch with when you get out if you're lucky.

Literally any job outside of straight up infantry has some level of experience that can translate into the civilian job market until you use your GI Bill to get back into college and further promote yourself up the system.

If you need a few more years to find yourself before you fully commit to a career or life in general the military can help, but don't expect to just breeze through it. You're still going to be working and pulling your own weight. People severely underscore the amount of life experience the military can give you, especially those that never served. It helps you learn how the world works, if you're lucky you get to see parts of Europe or Asia and really build your view of the big picture.

If you're content with sitting behind a cash register all day every day, then so be it. But if you want a chance to at least get a change of scenery from where you grew up, especially if you are one of those small town guys that would never get away otherwise, give the military a thought.

But if you already have other prospects I wouldn't advise going in. Peacetime means less deployments, more cutbacks, lower budgets, etc.
>>
Motorcycles kill more Marines than bullets do.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html?eref=onion
>>
>>32361992
That's because bullets don't have strippers on them to distract the marines.
>>
>>32361967

>You're not to die, even if this was 2007, "Let's fuck up Iraq/Afghanistan" your chances of deploying were still fairly low.

Nigger what? I joined as an 03 in 2008 and it was pretty much a guarantee that if you served in a grunt battalion you would get at least 1 combat deployment, and likely that you would get 2. My unit was deployed twice to Afghanistan during my enlistment. From 2003-2012 there was an extremely consistent deployment cycle and pretty much every unit would get 2 deployments out of each generation of boots. The only wild card would be if your unit got selected to go on a MEU.

Nowadays you're right though.
>>
File: ExecutiveOutcomes_mercenaries.jpg (120KB, 800x639px) Image search: [Google]
ExecutiveOutcomes_mercenaries.jpg
120KB, 800x639px
>>32361114

>My advice? Learn a trade.

warfighting is a trade.
>>
>>32362030
A fucking useless one. Have fun polishing rocks with my other new boots.
>>
Most of your enlistment will be spent in peacetime conditions. Think "career" in everything you do. Do not think like a wide-eyed noob, learn to think like a career professional. If your chosen branch has to cater to the lowest common denominator, guess who you have to work with?

To make twenty and that magnificent (and unsurpassed by trades) retirement you need to avoid being broken down by training. VA hospitals are full of G.I.s damaged in training and accidents. No glory, no money, no joy.

The smart career planner will choose the Air Force, then qualify for jobs which involve working on systems worth MUCH more than you are. G.I.s are expendable, but systems like aircraft are valuable. Avoid being a cop or working Transportation. If a machine doesn't have wings, you probably don't want to work on it. UAS are expanding and have plenty of post-career jerbs. Airlift airframes last long enough for complete military + civilian careers.

USAF medical AFSCs have outstanding civilian employability and you'll work with lots of young pussy. While I loved fixing fighters, maintenance pussy is rarely hot. Would happily do again because I'm a gearhead.

If you go combat arms you'll do perpetual sandbox rotations, have no home life, and be greatly inconvenienced late in your career when it's time to buy property (BAH/BAS/COLA Akbar!) and clear all your debts so you never have to work again.

The Air Force actually pushes education and my biggest asspain as an SNCO was getting lazy Airmen to go the fuck to school.

Think and get a VARIETY of info from active CAREER troops and recently retired vets. I've worked with many Airmen who wisely escaped other services. They were happy to have gone Air Force. My Nam vetbros discouraged me from joining cannon fodder (which they sadly are IRL) branches for which I'm grateful.

Why be treated like shit then RIFed/Force Shaped/etc with your dick in your hand or disposed of because you blew out a knee?
>>
File: salamwalakum.png (928KB, 886x577px) Image search: [Google]
salamwalakum.png
928KB, 886x577px
Don't do it.

You wanna be a badass body slayer? Join the Army as a Ranger. Walk into a recruiter's office and say "Hi I'm anon and I'd like to enlist as an 11b Option 40." Do not take no for an answer or consider any other position.

They, along with SEALs and SF are the only ones seeing combat tours right now.

Alternatively, you can join the National Guard. They are deploying at the same rate as active military, and you can walk into the recruiter's office and go "Hey, are any of our state's infantry units deploying soon?" Your recruiter has that information. You most likely will not see combat but it isn't a major commitment, and many states have great benefits. Also, if you do decide you want to see things, many states have Special Forces units. Yes, you can be a Special Forces operator part-time.

The Marines are sitting around doing nothing at all.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.