[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you put a silencer on a gun, does it affect the range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

If you put a silencer on a gun, does it affect the range of the bullet?
>>
Pistols, not really. Rifles, it depends. With suppressors you get some increase in pressure as the bullet goes through the can, which will increase the velocity slightly. I'm more concerned with POI shift due to the increased velocity than effective range when I put a can on to be honest.
>>
>>32344924
It generally increases the velocity of the bullet. At distances of 400m and beyond, and with highly accurate rifles, you will see less bullet drop and greater effective range

Inside of 300-400yds, and certainly with a handgun like pictured, you're probably not going to see much difference
>>
>>32344924
Short answer is not really.

It can effect your POI

On longer range guns(rifles) you may need a special silencer that locks on to the barrel further down so as to not put so much weight off the front.

CallaD00ty rules don't apply IRL
>>
It marginally increased velocity which translates to a longer effective range.
But not to a noticeable degree.
>>
>>32344982
I should have put *maybe* greater effective range.
>>
>>32344924
There is a myth from movies that silencers slow down bullets. I've seen them say it though I can't remember which shows.

It's not true.

People use subsonic ammo so there is no sonic boom from the ammo. Noise comes from both the sonic boom of the projectile and the boom from the gun. The silencer only takes care of the boom from the muzzle. So while it does not slow the ammo down, people tend to use slower ammo.
>>
>>32344924
no, only ammo and barrel length affects that.

>chrono 5 shots with can
>5 without
>exact same average
*results may vary
>>
>>32345017
Old school silencers that used wipes that physically contacted the bullets did slow them down a little. Even then it is way overblown.
>>
>>32344924

Depends on what perks you have.
>>
>>32345135
Less than 2% muzzle velocity lost. Which is usually within standard deviation for shot strings shorter than 100.
>>
File: KIMG0028.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0028.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32344924
No but it's -3 accuracy.
>>
>>32344924
Yes. A lot of guys into long range shooting use suppressors to jew those few extra yards once they start hitting the limit of what their rifle can realistically do.
>>
>>32345017
>>32345135
Doesn't the MP5SD have some kind of trick system that slows down standard velocity ammo?

I think a lot of the "suppressors slow down bullets" misconception comes from vidya. Games generally reduce range, damage, and muzzle velocity (when relevant, like in the Battlefield games) as a way of giving suppressors a downside, since the real-world issues of size, weight, and cost are generally irrelevant in video games.
>>
>>32346673
that sounds cool af
>>
>>32345901
I h8 ur rail m8.

Get some taste fgt.
>>
>>32346673
trick system known as "holes in the barrel"
>>
File: 556box.png (17KB, 840x779px) Image search: [Google]
556box.png
17KB, 840x779px
>>32344924
See pic related
>>
>>32345017
It may have to do with the MP5SD which does slow down bullets (by design)

Or the fact that rifle rounds eat shit when you try to make them subsonic.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.