[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i happen to be in an interesting situation. I have a CNC machine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 39

So i happen to be in an interesting situation. I have a CNC machine shop falling into my ownership along with my brother. It has 10 milling machines and 6 turning machines. I've dabbled in the idea of building firearms parts on the side. For fun mainly, then see where to go from there. We build aerospace parts for rockets and stuff, i figured, how bad could firearm parts be.

I wanted to start with supressors. So from what I understand, you can file a form 1 to build a suppressor yourself. Do I need to file a form 1 and pay the $200 tax stamp before I even attempt to make one? It'd suck for it to fall apart and then waste $200.

Thoughts?
>>
>>32339265
to e-file a form when you first need to set up a legal Trust. Right now the e-file Form 1 is down because of ATF 41f, only paper form ones can be submitted right now. If you're looking to make and sell suppressors and short barreled rifles and all that good stuff you're going to need the correct FFL, SOT, and pay ITAR.
>>
>>32339344
I don';t think i'd be going commercial. This would all just be for me. and other people.
>>
>>32339507
If you go commercial make lower recivers. Spikes and areo are not even taking back orders right now they are so behind on production.

Make a cool logo, have something better than bullet pictogram or safe/fire, and enjoy back orders for the forseable future.
>>
>>32339507
>>32339565
Make the picture /k/ related
>>
>>32339507
If its for other people then you want to set up a trust. That way anyone on the trust can have the NFA item. Again, efile for a form 1 is nor available right Noe because of the rule change.
>>
>>32339565
It's something that I've been seriously considering. We make aerospace and rocket parts down to .0002 tolerance. I figure shit, we have all the stuff necessary to make gun parts. We just can't make barrels.

The licensing and all that nonsense is the only part that concerns me of actually going full on commercial. I'd like to start simple and go from there.

Someone help me design a logo and if it takes off, they can have royalties haha.
>>
>>32339606

I've got my own trust setup already for my first suppressor. I filed my form 4 in July. Maybe i'll see it in a few months.
>>
You would make the most money building reproductions.
>>
>>32339612
I'm curious, did this machine shop belong to someone in the family - and that is how you already are manufacturing aerospace components? If so, I'd assume you have a general working knowledge of the business.

If the shop is able to keep up with the demand of manufacturing aerospace components, with free resources to spare. You might consider having a few machines dedicated to the pilot production of whatever firearms you wish to produce. Then you could make a judgment as to how much demand you could fulfill.
>>
>>32339712
Bullshit
>>
File: 1471487212234.gif (3MB, 350x349px) Image search: [Google]
1471487212234.gif
3MB, 350x349px
>>32339778
It's my fathers. I do estimating (Throwing darts at a board). He has no interest in firearms whatsoever but my brother (Also no interest in firearms) and I are looking to succeed the business shortly. We run at about 50% capacity with half the machines not even being on daily. We do turn around about a 250% profit though.

There are plenty of spare machines that I can do whatever with. The problem is, I have no experience on programming or machining, therefore I'm at the mercy of my machinists.
>>
>>32339565
>local gun store makes custom ARs
>Cherokee Firearms is the name of the store
>selector is
>Peace for safe
>War for fire
>Treaty for full auto, because the guns are semi -auto only and the Cherokee were never good with treaties
>>
>>32339786
R&D would be expensive as fuck. This would be a VERY term project.
>>
We also have 2 sandblasters,a ZEISS C400 DCC CMM, billions of micrometers and measuring tools. It's seriously killing me right now.
>>
>>32339265
Some people have all the goddamn luck.

mechanical/aerospace engineer with extensive CAD, tooling design, and firearms experience reporting in. you're basically living my dream a decade from now.

this shop wouldn't happen to be located in CT by any chance, would it?
>>
Start youtubing tutorials for your machines
Download antique gun blue prints
??????
PROFIT!!!
>>
File: Proto.jpg (105KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Proto.jpg
105KB, 720x960px
>>32339953
If i was a smarter man I would have joined in the family business 10 years ago. I was young and dumb in school and decided to do my own thing. I'm relatively new to it all. Unfortunately, not in CT.

Though if you're willing to move... That's another story.
>>
>>32339839
>I have no experience on programming or machining, therefore I'm at the mercy of my machinists.
I don't believe this is necessarily a problem. What I think is most important is you develop a detailed business plan which accounts for all the legalities involved for the production of firearms. It would take some experimentation on there part, but highly skilled professionals such as them should be up for it.

Though it sounds like you only want to build firearms as a hobby. If that is the case, you cannot rely on the company's machinists to do aid you in the manufacture of the firearm, more specifically the receiver of the firearm. According to ATF, you can manufacture any firearm that could already legally own, without having to register it if YOU are the only person involved with its manufacture. So someone else could manufacture all the components of a firearm you wanted, but you alone have to manufacture the receiver. I should mention there are other stipulations, this self manufactured firearm cannot change ownership nor can it cross state lines.

I do not remember the fine intricacies of how ATF works, but what I mentioned should be of interest of the hobby firearm maker. Of course, you should research the topic yourself more thoroughly. I cannot assure you that I've recalled this information correctly.
>>
>>32339265
Start with NERF parts
>>
File: 1427937759001.jpg (27KB, 342x257px) Image search: [Google]
1427937759001.jpg
27KB, 342x257px
>>32339985
Oklahoma by chance?
>>
>>32339985
You in Texas or Oregon? Lol
>>
>>32339986
There are a lot of technicalities that I've taken into account. That's why I want to start simple. And if it becomes something profitable or easy to do, of course, expand.

>>32339997
>>32339998

Minnesota. Come for the culture, stay because your car won't fucking start.
>>
op i fucking hate you
>>
File: 5gNJLqg.gif (880KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
5gNJLqg.gif
880KB, 400x300px
>>32340054
Now why's that?
>>
>>32340014
In that case, I cannot really offer any advice. This is information you've have to find out on your own, as I only consider the manufacture of firearms on the hobby level.

I will say that if you do come up with some sort of plan that seems workable, and most importantly legal, run it by your brother and see his response. If he does not like the plan, do not try to press the issue too much, as it's very reasonable to be weary of the legalities of firearm manufacturing.
>>
>>32339953
Can't you afford your own home shop?
>>
>>32340084
More or less its in my hands. Long as I keep the facility running he just goes with the flow.

Again, It's really only hobby at this point. Dabble with lowers, uppers, flash hiders/compensators, suppressors.

Going commercial is quite a way down the road. Quite frankly, we're making enough revenue the way things are going. Our overhead profit is just under 500K as each employee is outputting roughly 100K each.
>>
>>32339265
Good news: If you are able to run a firearms business, you can apply for a full-auto license
Bad news: Bureaucracy exists.
>>
>>32340148
Well good luck to you, maybe take a few machine shop classes.

Though it occurs to me there might be considerably less paper work when dealing with the manufacture of other types of firearm accessories. Though you'd need to look into that yourself.
>>
>>32340171
Also something fun to consider down the road. though I don't know how that works with our current business model though?

>>32340182
Thank you sir. I've been wanting to do that as well. Though my dad is much more concerned with me just being able to keep the place running.

There's a lot of different routes to go, I guess my main concern was essentially skipping the R&D work from the get go to see how successful we'd be at making parts before going our own route.
>>
>>32340196
Just remember to keep the place running first and foremost, do not risk your father's hard work with selfish desire. Though you seem relatively level headed.
>>
>>32340230
For sure. That's also where there is confusion. I'm not really sure how it works or if the government even cares when the manufacture of these parts is honestly mainly on the side. I don't know if they distinguish it.
>>
>>32340014
>That's why I want to start simple.

Saying this again, build the world's greatest NERF rifle.
>>
>>32340253
Out of 6061 Aluminum or 17-4PH Stainless?
Or should I just say fuck it and use delrin?
>>
Start out making 80% lowers with no gov't involvement, see if you can turn a profit, then convert to full lowers for that class III license goodness
>>
File: flat_800x800_075_t.u1.jpg (134KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat_800x800_075_t.u1.jpg
134KB, 800x800px
>>32339871
>Treaty for full auto, because the guns are semi -auto only and the Cherokee were never good with treaties
>>
>>32339872
R&D may be easier if you avoid automatics, assuming you're good at eyeballing dimensions and don't care for total historic accuracy. I.e. make a chinesium knockoff of an easy gun.
>>
File: kube2.jpg (46KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
kube2.jpg
46KB, 800x900px
>>32339265
you have a fucking amazing opportunity right now, you have no idea
Suppressors are easy as taking a shit, the market is weirdly saturated with companies that make them right now
what are your machines primarily working with? aluminum or steel? can they work with inconel?
>can they handle 4340 steel, or higher carbon steel? or easily work with 7075 alloy, or new lithium-aluminum alloys?
do you have established ties with a heat treatment facility or one nearby that does ion plasma, gas and salt nitriding?
do you work with any polymers?
>>
>>32339565
lol, trump is president. demand on lowers is going to be nothing these next 4 years
>>
>>32339871
>>Treaty for full auto, because the guns are semi -auto only and the Cherokee were never good with treaties
Topkek.
>>
>>32339565
>Make a cool logo, have something better than bullet pictogram or safe/fire, and enjoy back orders for the forseable future.
Puppies / Hipsters / Communists
>>
>>32340148
expanding on >>32342013
because I was a little too excited

everyone is making suppressors, don't focus on those unless you really really want to.
there are only like 3 American companies that are making AK parts worth a damn and 99% of AK stuff has been sold out for at least a year (Sanction lifting isnt happening anytime soon folks no matter how much you love Trump, dont count on it)

The biggest problem with making AK parts is they vary in dimension so much, but when you eliminate the variance with a unified part system, that becomes a total non-issue. But this is maybe a large project.
Something else nobody has done is make a 5.7 pistol, make one with able to swap barrels for 7.62 tokarev and your company will be off to a damn good start
I have a lot of answers for you, OP I can give you my /k/-mail if you're interested
>>
>>32339620
My buddy put his form one in July, he got it a couple weeks ago
>>
>>32339265
>be machinist in manual and CNC milling/lathes with a bit over 5 years experience over three shops
>over 2 years of dicking around CADCAM to do my own models and then toolpaths/programs
>creating my own parts/assemblies
>can draw parts by hand and CNC program by hand (paper, pencil, wordpad, and a calculator) if necessary
>can do all manual parts
>want to work at a shop that does guns
>want to make guns and gun parts
>dream of having my own shop or just working for a nice little shop doing interesting gun stuff

I
HAD
TO
BE
A

FUCKING

LEAF

Kill me. OP if you can do work visa stuff I will suck your dick. Every day.
>>
>>32342013
Went to bed.
Most of our work is Aluminum but we do steel as well. 6061, 2024 are our most common aluminum use. 303 stainless, 304 stainless, 17-4PH stainless, 1018 steel, A36 steel, delrin, 4340. I don't think we've worked with 7075 due to cost. Usually we go with the cheapest option our customers require, which is 6061 or 2024.

Yup, we've got 2 heat treating facilities within half an hour and 3 coating facilities that handle all of our plating like Anodizing. Most don't handle firearm parts within a foot if you don't have an FFL. Though I'd have to look a bit deeper into it. Also, dat logo.

>>32342139
I'll take that email. The idea of suppressors and possibly AR parts was just a fun idea because we have the Mills and Lathes to do it. Stamping is a whole nother world. Again, the big problem is that I have the equipment, I just don't know how to do it.
>>
File: 1457395619750.jpg (98KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457395619750.jpg
98KB, 640x640px
>>32342251
Lol, I take for granted a bit of my situation. Are only weakness is that we have pretty old machines. We've still got manual machines too. 3 manual mills and another 3 manual lathes.

I honestly have no clue how work visas work or where to even begin.
>>
>>32340266
delrin would be too bulky
>>
>>32342251
You're blind too.

DA, cadex is lookibg for cnc machinists.
>>
>>32343804
We don't typically do plastics. It gets the machines all dirty and we need to completely clean them out before we do any metal work. Otherwise we can't recycle chips with plastics mixed in.
>>
Best of luck OP
>>
>>32340014
MN bro!

Where do you shoot?
>>
>>32344595
+1 for MN here! Hooray for -45 windchill this weekend
>>
>>32344595
>>32344696

Too fucking cold Bros.

I usually shoot at the secret not Stu secret chengwatanna spot in the summer. Otherwise ogc sometimes. Trying to find a decent outdoor range that is closer than an hour away
>>
>>32343849
That still doesn't make me American.

And they're in quebec, literally the opposite of where I want to go.
>>
>>32344882
>get in with cadex
>get taken to shot show
>network
>get stolen by american company
>>
>>32344907
I'm planning to do that at SHOT without having to be a quebecer. Probably next year.

I'll still probably give cadex a look, from their website they appear to be less gay than most quebec things. Thanks.
>>
>>32342013
>the market is weirdly saturated with companies that make them right now
that's the opposite of what you want though, you want an undersaturated market so that you lack competition
>>
>>32343740
No worries, I figured it was pretty late for the mid west, are you still there?
do you know if your machines can handle superalloys like the inconel series or Li/Al alloys like 2055?
>>
>>32345442
Yep, still watching this.

Uh... I'm honestly not sure. We typically Titanium is the hardest we've worked with.
>>
>>32345176
hence why I'm trying to tell OP that making suppressors is not worth getting in to.
>>32345500
great
>[email protected]
no problem on the metals, they are boutique stuff anyway
>>
>>32345519

So what do you suggest i manufacture?
>>
>>32345569
well for one, like >>32339565
said, there are a bunch of places that have things on back order you could get in contact with Aero, Mega, UCWRG (umbrella corp), Spikes, or other AR companies I cant think of right now and help them with their back log and get paid.
I would call Strike industries and tell them you want to make a .30 cal J-comp, I know it would sell out

If your lathes are long enough to work with Barrels, that can open you up to another backlogged market, as there is a wait/lead time for most barrel manufacturers

On the more innovating side I was talking about earlier, if you can get a machine Op working with you (and hopefully me), you could build a new standard rifle platform or a pistol design that has no real competition

This is just me, but I've been working on a few concepts for a fully modular, multi caliber rifle platform, an American Standard AK that is just as lego-friendly as the AR15, That 5.7 to 762 tok pistol thing that may or may not work with 9mm/380acp. I would be working on those, but again, thats me
>>
>>32345714
a 30cal j-comp will need a tiny bit of harmonics adjustment, one *could* just scale it up 1/4 and call it a day, but it might not work as well. so a little bit of prototyping and live fire testing will be necessary
>>
>>32345714

Our lathes cannot do barrels. Longest we do is up to 8 inch parts. Barrels usually require gun drilling for such accuracy, we usually cant bore something so precise that long.

It'd be interesting to mill an AK type rifle. I know a lot of the American manufacturers are all stuck with 3d Prints. Only one that comes to mind is the guys that make the M10X.

The problem though is if i were to contact any of those companies and manufacture lowers for them, it would require FFL work and registration wouldn't it?
>>
>Minnesota
As much as I'm beat for that (at uni in fl) I know a /k/ommando in Minnesota who would probably want to get in on that
>>
>>32339507
>and other people
Aka commercial
>>
>>32340095

Even a shit-tier 3 axis CNC mill that has been used to hell and back will cost you several grand. Then you have to actually set the thing up, buy all the cutting tools, cutting fluid, etc. Shit gets expensive very fucking fast.
>>
>>32345819
Coolant is fucking $$$$$$$$. We run that shit til its pretty much brown lol. End Mills aren't cheap either.
>>
>>32345771
shame, but from the american AK standpoint, may not be a big deal, because similar to the AR design, will utilize a barrel extension and locator pin so it can be swapped out and realigned.
I like the m10x, but they still haven't made a 5.45 version, which leads me to believe they can't readily scale their design to a different spec, which make it boring to me

I Don't know the legal part of that, but if you got in contact with any of the bigger companies that already do that, they could probably tell you right off the bat. My thinking is since you are outsourced work, you should be under the umbrella of their manufacturing license, but DO NOT take my word for that
>>
>>32345830
You can get additives to reduce coolant shit. We use a handheld refractometer to keep coolant at the appropriate concentration, we'll usually not need much new coolant for months without it going bad, smelling and so on. Another good trick is adding screen filters (like mosquito screens) to help filter out coolant, as having less swarf sitting around will reduce coolant shit.
>>
>>32343849
>You're blind too.

Drafter here. That's actually another guy. You can't just assume I'm every cad/cam guy on /k/.
>>
>>32345771

You could mill out the trunnions for the receivers and sell them with flats as kits.
>>
>>32345714
>and tell them you want to make a .30 cal J-comp
A .30 cal replica of the xm177 flash hider would be neat, for 300blk AR builds that want to pin it to avoid having to SBR the rifle.
Also dutch AR10s.
>>
>>32339986
>this self manufactured firearm cannot change ownership nor can it cross state lines.

bullshit.

you can sell your own firearms, but you cannot manufacture them with the intent to sell them, unless you have the right license (possibly an FFL)
>>
>>32345848
My only thinking is that if they give out blueprints and what not, they may want a ton of work, not just 1 or two here and there. But i'll definitely look into that.

>>32345860
Oh yea, we got screens and all that. But we have barrels and barrels of coolant. Shit gets nasty fast though.
>>
>>32345848
I usually have my trip on for these threads

>>32345860
you can use a Vortex Tube to kill upkeep costs too, buy once cry once

>>32345878
OP Doesnt have provisions for stamping dimples or rails though. plus, thats kinda getting away from my "American AK" standard though. My point up here >>32342139
was that there is too much variance in proper AKs to have an interchangeable parts system. if that could be rectified with say, a full length receiver drop in pack using original parts made from a thin piece of extruded steel, he wouldnt need to stamp shit or get a license because it would basically just be a trigger pack
>>
>>32345935
What kind do you use? Some coolants have antibaterials, you can put in bricks of antibaterials. Do you use coolant skimmers?

There's a bunch of cheap ways to use less coolant. We have 3 dozen machines and use one 55gal drum of coolant concentrate every 6 months, sometimes 8 months depending.
>>
>>32345951

Hmmm. How about milled 80% aluminum AK receivers, then?
>>
>>32345935
yeah volume production is generally preferred, but if you can do sayyy 10 lowers or uppers a week, they might consider your services

>>32345962
like I said, tolerances and dimensions are varied, so you could do like bulgarian spec 7.62 and 5.45, but they would be different from polish specs or hungarian and not big enough for RPKs of any country.
but Rifle dynamics/ Sharps bros did it, patterned after Bulgarian 762, and its steel, probably heavy as shit, if you can fork out the cash for some 2055 Li/Al, you could sell those damn things for whatever you want

>>32345888
czeched
didnt that have like tiny baffles?
>>
>>32345951
So you are,>>32342139?

>>32345954
We use Blaser. We go through 55Gal Barrels about every 3 months?

>>32345962
The benefit of 80% kits would be that essentially, no FFL bullshit work right?
>>
>>32346035
>The benefit of 80% kits would be that essentially, no FFL bullshit work right?

You'd want to get your 80% approved by the ATF, but you wouldn't actually need to be an FFL or anything to sell them. They're basically paperweights.
>>
>>32339612
>0002 tolerance
inches or mm?
>>
>>32346059
It's something to consider.

My big problem is I just don't have blueprints or any specific dimensions. I might just take one of my Aero ARs, dissassemble it and take it to the CMM machine.

>>32346074
Inches. Fuck metric.
>>
>>32339265
inconel bolt carrier.
>>
>>32346074

Theoretically, if he doesn't put the 0 before the period, then it's imperial.
>>
>>32346035
Blaser is good but yeah it gets rotten diaper quick. Shell makes a good clear fluid that doesn't go bad and cuts well enough. Current shop uses Cimcool but it obliterates most plastics, so I wouldn't recommend it.

>>32346077
>Inches. Fuck metric.
Mah nigga.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (45KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
45KB, 570x428px
>>32339612
A good logo will have depth and at least some minimalist characteristics. You want it to be something simple that will stick to the minds eye. Murderkube is a good example of this.

In all honesty the murderkube would make a pretty good logo. Do it OP.
>>
>>32339265
>That paint job
Is that for deployments in Lego Land.
>>
>>32339507
if you went commercial you could market it like space guns. "aerospace tolerances!" also muh space gun designs
>>
>>32346100
We don't use plastic too often. If it is, it's delrin. Can't stand it though. Have to clean the whole machine when the job is done so it doesn't mix with metal chips we want to recycle.

>>32346108
Honestly, if I do make lowers, i'll do dat murder kube.

>>32346117
Get your space gun now!
>>
>>32346120
No I mean it kills plastic. See your lights inside the machine? They're broken in two weeks. See your windows? They cloud up in a month.

It literally kills everything. Fuck cimcool.
>>
>>32346035
yeah, I'm>>32345519

curious about coolant, I've heard/read that vortex tubes are like the best shit you can get and so superior to liquid, is liquid coolant just like super cheap? or does it also help with gathering chips for recycling?

>>32345962
didnt immediately realize you said 80% Milled AK, the jig work required for something like that would be excessive to the point its more like 50%

>>32346077
Forged AR parts Dimensions are standard across all manufacturers, any company you get with can give you their exact cosmetic cad/cam files

>>32346078
literally might as well be tungsten. bolt carriers require a machining intensive process to manufacture, inconel is a cunt and a half to machine even for just suppressor baffles

>>32346108
Strelok Arms
Simple /k/ube silhouette, no 'Ave nex alea', that should be an easter egg =]
>>
>>32346132
Ahhhhhhh, fuck that lol.

>>32346148
I sent you an email.

Strelok Arms. Christ that might be just crazy enough to work.
>>
>>32346108
I would pay a silly amount of money if someone made this into a rifle rollmark

IRC from the patch thread it translated out to "happy commandos call"
>>
>>32346148
>didnt immediately realize you said 80% Milled AK, the jig work required for something like that would be excessive to the point its more like 50%

Does it have to be 80% of material removed or 80% of machining steps?
>>
File: murderkube.png (17KB, 635x440px) Image search: [Google]
murderkube.png
17KB, 635x440px
>>32346120
this guys is right. it's trademarked.>>32346148

just right off the top of my head
>>
File: 3ue_J1rh_400x400.jpg (54KB, 876x400px) Image search: [Google]
3ue_J1rh_400x400.jpg
54KB, 876x400px
>>32346212
machining, I believe. at this point i think 80% might be a buzzword in the AK community, I've seen flats with and without dimples, cutouts, rails, and bent receivers without cutouts all advertised as 80%

>>32346242
whats trademarked? i know Strelok is a ballistics program, but i cant think of aything else that is
>>
>>32346242
OP here.

What's trademarked?
Also, how does one go about making rollmarks anyway.
>>
>>32339265
make and sell these for $80

http://www.k-var.com/shop/KR-001.html
>>
>>32346254
make a two color (black and white) logo in paint or Inkscape, search your finished product on tineye, if anything comes back that is too similar to what you have, make sure it isnt a trademarked logo already

>>32346273
I would kill for a rear ak trunnion that fits a VZ58 folding skele stock, with angle adjustment

And these are going for ~$300 on gunbroker because nobody makes them except the russians and bulgarians
>k-var.com/shop/AK-142R.html
make em for at least two different barrel sizes, make sure the threads are concentric, QPQ nitrided, sell for around 100-125 and thats a guaranteed seller
>>
>>32346320
He might want to start from a forging to be competitive making those.

I bet the rear trunnions could be billet though.
>>
>>32346034
>didnt that have like tiny baffles
It was originally coined as a moderator, but I'm not sure. The main point would be a replica that you could pin to add 5.5" to barrel length without all the weight and velocity gain, for 30cal AR builds that would otherwise be SBR'd
>>
>>32346253
>>32346254
Nvm, I thought Ivan had the rights to it somehow. you're good.
>>
File: 20160501004744_1.jpg (119KB, 986x770px) Image search: [Google]
20160501004744_1.jpg
119KB, 986x770px
>>32346453
>tfw my fav 80% blank source is out of stock and I want to build my Polish AKMS kit
>>
>>32346342
>Competitive
literally ONE company is making anything close, and thats Sabrewerks, they use the East german pattern and dont do the threads, I'm pretty sure it could be milled out of bar stock, nitrided 4140 should be fine, maybe 4150. Forging is definitely preferable, but an Aerospace oriented cnc shop won't have provisions for forging or stamping molds, let alone the capacity to deal with molten steel
>btw the venom bolton fsgb looks fucking gay and its on all the ak104/5 'clones'

>>32346518
I bet Ivan would have been totally fine being paid in some rollmarked parts lol

>>32346537
Childers?
>>
>>32346628
>Childers?

Yes.
>>
If you complete all the paperwork and make high-quality milspec lower receivers you should turn a profit.
>>
>>32346735
>high quality Mil-spec
well there's an oxymoron
>>
>>32345861
I assumed youre the only canadian cnc/drafting tech. Theres like 25 canadians that float around in the canada general and the odds of two people in your trade would be pretty slim
>>
>>32346898
>durrrrrrrrr!
way to go hunter 3-1
>>
>>32346967

There are a few other guys who do CAD and/or CAM in there. It's usually only relevant in design and manufacturing related threads so it doesn't come up much.
>>
>>32347006
Mil-spec is literally just full-auto rated parts. it is THE standard any higher or lower in quality and its no longer Mil-spec
>>
>>32339265
>>32339507
>>32339612
>>32339620
>>32339839
>>32339918

You said you are in Minnesota but this sounds too eerily similar to where I work and who I work for. Your last name wouldn't happen to have the word Man in it? If so I work for you and have the skills to do everything you need done. I'd be willing to work with you on this project as it is something I am interested in myself.
>>
>>32347086
Well shit. I knew there was some dabbling byt didnt realize that a bunch of us in the cangen did that.

Thr more you know
>>
File: STA_rollmark.png (200KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
STA_rollmark.png
200KB, 2500x2500px
Free access to my photoshop skills.

Well.. I'll need to remake the master file because I didn't save that so no layers fuckery till I do that.
>>
>>32347220

Instead of disjointed pieces like that surrounding the cube, why not make it like it's glowing?

Think... The rays of light coming out of the sun on the old Japanese imperial flag?
>>
>>32346628
speaking of, have any komrades tried his almonds? thinking about picking up a bag.
>>
>>32347261
tell me more about these almonds
>>
>>32347158
lmao that would be hilariously convenient

>>32347220
I kinda dig it, the floaty bits allude to the aerospace/ tech origins. but the font is too uhh, much. something simple like a less bold version of this font would be the tits imo
>>
File: mars.jpg (28KB, 509x195px) Image search: [Google]
mars.jpg
28KB, 509x195px
>>32347271
>this font
>>
>>32347267
they're spicy

https://kommandostore.com/ivans-fiery-grads-mylar-packed-spicy-almonds/
>>
>>32347255
Not sure I follow.

>>32347271
I may have had bold on. I've also got about 6 versions of that font, lemme redo it and save the master file this time.

>>32347261
>>32347267
The mylar pouch they come in is pretty much the only way to keep them from contaminating everything they touch with the spice mix used on them.
>>
>>32347299
>Not sure I follow.

A godly aura emanating from the cube, rather than stuff just floating around it. Imagine if you had the cube in front of you, slightly elevated, with the sun directly behind it, letting you see only the silhouette of the cube and bright streams of light pouring out all around.
>>
>>32347158
OP here,

Unfortunately that is not me hahaha.
>>
>>32347158
>>32347328

If you're nearby each other, then you might still be able to work together on it.
>>
>>32347288
that's not a font as far as I can tell, that was a logo made specifically for Nat Geo's MARS documentary.Also all 6 font versions are pretty similar and just adjust the spacing of the characters it seems, so here's something completely different till I find something that'd work.

>>32347326
I think I follow, but that starts getting into stuff that might be more complex than a rollmark should be.
>>
File: STA_rollmark_rework_1.png (284KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
STA_rollmark_rework_1.png
284KB, 2500x2500px
>>32347432
forgot the image.
>>
>>32347432
>I think I follow, but that starts getting into stuff that might be more complex than a rollmark should be.

Not really. You can either make it a circle around it with little spikes poking out here and there or make it just rays of light in a circle around it like the aforementioned Japanese imperial flag.
>>
File: 1.jpg (41KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
41KB, 852x480px
>>32347474
>>
File: central heterochromia 1.jpg (809KB, 3276x2251px) Image search: [Google]
central heterochromia 1.jpg
809KB, 3276x2251px
>>32347474
>>32347487

Or the golden ring in this centrally heterochromatic eye.
>>
>>32347500
oh like that one red hot chili peppers logo

real nato
>>
File: 2.png (5KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
5KB, 650x650px
>>32347505

Do you mean this thing?

Because it kind of reminds me of a JHP after expansion.
>>
Call known lower producers, tell them you know they are having supply issues and that you have idle machines. They will give you cad files, you send them product, and they do qc. Everyone is happy.
>>
File: murdercube.png (6KB, 349x439px) Image search: [Google]
murdercube.png
6KB, 349x439px
>>32347267
uh no, I dont like ordering food online

>>32347255
>>32347326
I get what youre going for, but for a rollmark, that is too open ended, like, where do the rays stop? a rollmark/logo should be more contained. I like the /k/ube because it is simple enough to be used as a proofmark, like the izhmash arrow in triangle. its Iconic, its minimal, and it would be fast and easy to mill out or even extrude.
something similar to pic related proably the most complicated I would get for a standard rollmark. anything more should be for different lines
>9000hrs in mspaint
>>
File: Expanded JHP.jpg (14KB, 283x237px) Image search: [Google]
Expanded JHP.jpg
14KB, 283x237px
>>32347606

If you take the profile of the one in the middle and just put that around the cube, I think that'd look nice. It gives the godly effect while also itself being a reference to what it is intended for.
>>
I'll send a couple emails and let you guys know what happens. DPMS was local in st cloud but I think they moved operations? JP enterprises is also 15 miles south of the cities. Though they do lots of 3 gun shit.
>>
File: STA_rollmark_rework_2.png (285KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
STA_rollmark_rework_2.png
285KB, 2500x2500px
Found this buried in my fonts folder.
>>
File: murdercube2.jpg (29KB, 349x439px) Image search: [Google]
murdercube2.jpg
29KB, 349x439px
>>32347640
oh shit, kinda like this?
>>
File: 3.png (88KB, 198x194px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
88KB, 198x194px
>>32347748

Surrounding the cube.

30 seconds in paint.
>>
File: STA_rollmark_mod_3.png (81KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
STA_rollmark_mod_3.png
81KB, 2500x2500px
>>32347836
>>32347748
How's this?
>>
Op here. I kind of like it simple. The whole starrish background seems really busy.
>>
>>32348269
Elaborate please, which ones do you consider too busy, and which ones do you consider simple enough?
>>
>>32347701
>>32346108

These 2 call out to me the most.
>>
File: 20161216_163831.jpg (112KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20161216_163831.jpg
112KB, 480x640px
>>32348223
I dug up an old sketch I made of Strelok text, maybe someone likes it?
it might upload sideways
>>
>>32348591
That looks pretty solid for Strelok Industries.
>>
File: Selector.jpg (45KB, 1161x760px) Image search: [Google]
Selector.jpg
45KB, 1161x760px
This is the safety selector I had engraved on a pair of 80 lowers. I'd love to hear what kind thinks.
>>
File: 20161214_085917.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161214_085917.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>32349972
What /k/ thinks.... phone hates me.
>>
>>32349972
>>32349998
Clever.... though what's with the paintjob?... it looks like cheap enamel...
>>
>>32349998
Paintjob honestly sucks. Cerakote that shit.
>>
File: 20161202_195640.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161202_195640.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>32350093
Haha, paint was left over spray paint. And then the box I was using to dry fell over. I'm stripping them this weekend to try again. It's my light weight "loaner" rifle build. Super cheap.
>>
>>32349858
the extra lines are just exaggerated guides for mapping the angles, one of these days im gonna try ti make a .svg out of it
>>32349972
kek

>>32349998
What is that rollmark? a crop circle?
>>
File: 3_gaengig_3_achsig_rund.jpg (89KB, 1161x760px) Image search: [Google]
3_gaengig_3_achsig_rund.jpg
89KB, 1161x760px
>>32350228
It's a labyrinth. A three pronged one. I'm kind of religious and it's a meditation thing. You walk the path and think.
>>
File: Clyde.jpg (55KB, 1161x760px) Image search: [Google]
Clyde.jpg
55KB, 1161x760px
>>32350156
This is the one that is going to be grey with orange bits... had them done by a nice guy. Randy Spade. Clyde is my serial number....I think.
>>
>>32350276
cool, that would be right at home on an SPR build
>>
>>32339265
Build "paper weights" in the form of 1:1 scale 100% accurate M16 lowers.
>>
File: wintermeet2017v2t.png (40KB, 3000x651px) Image search: [Google]
wintermeet2017v2t.png
40KB, 3000x651px
>>32348591
here's a shit go I took at the 3rd one down

I like the idea of it but don't think it's quite there as a logo
>>
>>32350959
damn fine, anon
You should disconnect the S and T with a cut at the same angle as the S diagonal, though. I started doing it that[your] way originally, but it really looks unbalanced
>>
File: wintermeet2017v2t.png (41KB, 3000x651px) Image search: [Google]
wintermeet2017v2t.png
41KB, 3000x651px
>>32351045
did some other things
obviously if you were to go with this you'd need to make sure the line weights were even and stuff but yeah
>>
The beginning of Strelok Industries. Serving your /k/ommando needs.
>>
File: tripfags moneypits.png (1MB, 2476x1120px) Image search: [Google]
tripfags moneypits.png
1MB, 2476x1120px
>>32351094
>anon
my b
What do you use for your pngs?

>weights
yeah sketching around with different ones looks better in pencil than it does in ink
>>
>>32351128
No worries, I don't trip so people notice me, I do it because I'm lazy 90% of the time
(Also my trip is banned because I tried phoneposting from a tower banned for CP or something)
I use gimp, same thing I used for that stelok logo + patch designs
I use the lasso tool a lot since it makes cleaner lines than the wand tool by default
>>
>>32351175
farthest I got in learning gimp was dicking around with layers, guess I'll download it again. Have you tried Inkscape?
>>
>>32351696
I've poked my head into it but not spent any time in it yet, really.
Definitely better for logos and stuff than gimp is though, I should make myself learn it.
>>
File: murdercube.png (35KB, 1747x1874px) Image search: [Google]
murdercube.png
35KB, 1747x1874px
>>32339612
>>32346108
Seconding /k/ube
Maybe put "Ave Nex Alea" around it for /k/ommandos who order it special for a little extra, God knows id pay for one. Have a discount code or some shit and make it "/k/" to activate the Autist's Special inscription.

Could also put the /k/ube on the /k/ shield outline, would look pretty cool I think, any anon wanna draw that up?
>>
>>32347271
>>32347328
>>32347344

Damn OP we coulda had a good thing. The owner of my company has two sons both fairly young (25-31) that could be browsing chans. Our shop has the exact amount of lathes/mills you listed and we primarily build for Boeing, Bell helicopter and the semiconductor industry. Lately though we have been making RPG's to be sold to the DoD and likely sent to durkas by Obamas admin. On top of that we've been having hell fighting some parts for a defense company that have a +/-.0002 tolerance just as you mentioned.

We could have had so many funs but I am in Texas.
>>
>>32352531
Op here

Hah! That's crazy huh? We make parts for boeing via subwork from one of our aero customers.

Though based on how you describe your work, I assume you're a bit of a larger shop? We're about 10 employees strong.
Small world huh?
>>
>>32352718
We employ roughly 120 people with more than half belonging to our fab shop that supports all the industries listed above. I am happy you will be inheriting a machine shop anon, as you can tell many others here are kinda hopeful that they had your luck so don't let it goto waste. Learn everything you can about machining and those machines will make you ridiculous amounts of money.

I linked a video below of a guy who made his own suppressor for a .22 and tested it against one he bought. He has tons of very well made and thorough videos on his channel which is worth a subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHkTvv4RAE
>>
Make a VSS
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.