[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, I know this bread is stale, but I wanna get this straight.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

Okay, I know this bread is stale, but I wanna get this straight. What "around the house" products can I use to 1.) clean guns 2.) lube guns? Gun made cleaning products are a little expensive for their purpose. I don't wanna keep feeding these companies money when I can use other stuff to clean my funz, cheaply without compromise. Trolls need not apply.
>>
>>32329997
Self bump, I know you fags have something to say about this
>>
I've been watching some videos on youtube. Why does it seem people unanimously choose mobile 1 full synthetic to lube guns? Why not any other brand and why not conventional oil rather than full synthetic?
>>
>>32329997
Bleach
Starter fluid
Ammonia
brake cleaner
Oven cleaner
>>
>>32330419
Mixing bleach and ammonia makes an excellent cleaner that will cut through anything.
>>
>>32329997
try cleaning your plastic stock with 50/50 gasoline and alcohol
>>
>>32329997
>clean guns
Hoppes No. 9 is perfumed kerosene, you can just use kerosene as a general purpose bore solvent/cleaner

>lube guns
3-in-One or sewing machine oil is actually a really good gun oil

Motor oil is stupid because it's full of toxic detergents and designed to be in a closed engine away from human skin contact and inhalation.

WD40 dries up to form this terrible sticky gunk, it's a water displacer/light solvent, not a preservative.
>>
>>32330447
Would non detergent motor oil be a better lube option?
>>
>>32329997
A lot of people swear by white lithium grease on old 1911's and milsurp.
>>
I'm a retard and I use soap and hot water to wash my ARs in my laundry room sink, then wipe them dry and run a bore snake through and relube them with the most non-toxic oil I can get (slip 2000 EWP or w/e). I think I'll switch over to avocado oil later on. The hot water gets the metal hot enough that it evaporates any remaining water pretty quick.

I only scrub, wipe down, and regrease my bolt actions, then run a bore snake through the barrel a couple times. Pistols get a minor dab of aluminum based grease on the internal surface contact areas, and just dry Q-tip the feed ramp every 500 rounds.
>>
>>32330484
Possibly, though I would just pay the extra money for 3-in-One. Doesn't stain cloth as bad as motor oil.
>>
>>32330432
Honestly I forgot all about this, the hoppes bore cleaner had me hooked cause of how good it smelled, I forgot how good Bleach and Ammonia smelled
>>
>>32329997
Vegetable Oil.
>>
>>32330432
This will kill you
>>
>>32330432
Good meme.

Also please don't actually do this unless you also want to die.
>>
Does anyone else really love the smell of diethyl ether?

Smells like permanent marker and cupcakes desu
>>
i cant stress this enough

WD-40 is not a lubricant. its a solvent.
>>
>>32330960
i dont know. i keep passing out.
>>
Simple Green.

Especially for sticky shit like Cosmoline.
>>
>>32330991
Someone in the lab I used to work at accidentally left a 10L jug of it uncapped a few years back. We were high as shit in a hurry.
>>
>>32329997
Canola Oil
AKA: Fireclean
>>
>>32331043
Does canola oil clean barrels well?
>>
Auto throttle body and carby cleaner is great for removing carbon buildup. Follow this with a decent CLP and you are good to go.

My ultra fudd uncle swears by Singer sewing machine oil for his hawwg huntin' irons.
>>
>>32329997
Hornady One Shot Tap HD Extreme has worked well for my AR as a dry lube and cleaner.
>>
Gunsmith I knew once used PB Blaster on everything. Seemed to work ok.

That said, just go spend $5 on a bottle of Break-Free CLP and stop being a massive jew, OP.
>>
>>32330447
>Motor oil is stupid because it's full of toxic detergents and designed to be in a closed engine away from human skin contact and inhalation.

Clean virgin motor oil is non toxic and skin safe
>>
WD-40 and some straight 30 weight walmart brand oil. Get a needle bottle to put the oil in. Old timers have been lubing 1911s and Buckmarks with 30 weight engine oil since before my dad was born in the 40s.

I got a sample bottle of MilTec1 that I've been using for years and it's still like 3/4 full, if I ever run out i'll be getting that Supertech just like my daddy used too.
>>
>>32330733
>implying anyone can stand being around the fumes long enough to die.

I used to throw whatever cleaners I had nerby on messes, When I made the mistake of mixing chlorox and windex my entire house flooded with airway scorching gas. If you're around that shit you're gonna fucking BOOK IT to the nearest door before it has a chance to do any damage because your lungs and throat will be on fire.
>>
>>32329997
grease tends to dry out, but it seems like it sticks on fire control group components good enough to use.

CLP is like magic gun oil and sticks to gun metals and powers through carbon fouling.

I didn't believe it at first, but then I shot a bunch of suppressed and CLP is magic.
>>
Carb cleaner and ATF.

Required reading:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
>>
File: whatelse.jpg (106KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
whatelse.jpg
106KB, 440x660px
WD40 cleans.
Oil lubes.
>>
>>32330447

Stop licking/fucking your guns and motor oil is fine.
>>
>>32330407
I work at a car parts store and so can shed some light on the car oil. Synthetic oil keeps together at higher temperatures. Meaning in your very hot engine it lasts longer. However, it costs at least twice as much and is going to be wiped away in your next cleaning. Choosing a lower weight less viscous conventional oil should work aswell
>>
>>32332808
>stop touching your guns and motor oil is fine.
ftfy
>>
I use mistic metal mover to wipe down any surface that might rust. It is normally used for a cutting fluid for drill bits. It leaves a very light film on the surface of the metal you wipe it on and it doesn't make much of a mess. I don't know how it would work on some of the higher stressed internals like the bolt on an ar. I haven't tried it for that. The other downside is it is fairly expensive if you don't have it sitting around.
>>
>>32329997
>clean
soap and hot water.

>lube
not wd40, mineral oil, graphite, or basic motor oil. everybody that uses these is retarded. the best all purpose lube you can get is ballistol, doesn't just work on guns

>bleach and ammonia
will actually work but probably a bad idea to get it on rubber or plastic. has to be used in a confined space or it dissipates too quickly to clean lube or protect.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.