[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

need some help here For my first gun, I'm looking at an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: sks-disassembly-3758-banner.jpg (69KB, 1200x413px) Image search: [Google]
sks-disassembly-3758-banner.jpg
69KB, 1200x413px
need some help here
For my first gun, I'm looking at an SKS. Before anyone goes
>they aren't worth the price anymore
I'm looking at how easy 7.62x39 is to shoot, availability of it, and how easy the SKS is to take care of. Maintenance, stuff like that.
Basically, aside from the price, is the SKS a good starter rifle for a noguns fag who has never fired a gun?
>>
Btw what is the proper stance when shooting a rifle? I know not to do the chick lean, but nothing beyond that.
>>
>>32329805
It's hard to go wrong with an SKS. Hard to break, easy to maintain, cheap to shoot.
>>
File: rifle-shooting-01.jpg (15KB, 273x354px) Image search: [Google]
rifle-shooting-01.jpg
15KB, 273x354px
>>32329812
>>
>>32329816
This. Anon, it's easy to clean and maintain. The trigger pack will be stiff at first as will the lever to get access to the op rod/transfer rod. Be sure to clean this second rod. The sks uses two pistons.
>>
Great first gun. It was my first and my entire family hates guns so I had to teach myself everything from scratch.Its designed for retards to use, which means its very sturdy, reliable, and easy to maintain.

7.62 is very available and relatively inexpensive. Idk what you mean by "easy to shoot". I mean it has a fair amount of kick but nothing you cant tolerate unless your a hungry skellington. Its fun though, I put about 200 rounds through mine every week.

You should probably learn from a prone position, or better yet at a bench with a benchrest or sandbags.

Also alternatively some may suggest buying a .22lr rifle to learn on because some people flinch when they first begin shooting, which can become an ingrained habit that is apparently really hard to break. I didnt really have this issue but I can definitely see it happening.

Its not the greatest gun, like it will hit mansize targets all day within a few hundred yards with a competent shooter, but its not a sniper rifle. You dont need one though, you need a cheap rifle that easy to shoot and maintain and fun which is exactly what an SKS is. I cant really think of a better all around first gun but then again i have my bias as it was my first.
>>
>>32329917

Also put some consideration into what nationality of SKS you get. Russians are generally regarded as best but command the highest price. Yugos are also great I hear but lack a chrome barrel, which is something you may want - but if you clean your gun every single time you are done shooting this wont be an issue. Chink SKS are hit and miss, you can get them for the cheapest usually but its hard to say whether or not it will be good. The others are kinda special snowflake and not really common so I wouldnt really worry about them unless you see one for cheap.

The most important factor, regardless of the country of origin, is that all the parts match. If its not 100% matching numbers, move on. There is plenty of other SKS' out there that do have matching numbers that can be found easily.
>>
>>32329917
>>32329968
Thanks for the info
For cleaning it/oiling the parts, what is the best way to do it?
>>
File: USAMU standing.jpg (61KB, 600x639px)
USAMU standing.jpg
61KB, 600x639px
>>32329812
It depends entirely on what you're trying to do. "Chick lean" is a term used by rednecks who don't know what they're talking about. For combat shooting where precision is less important than quick followup shots and being able to rapidly switch targets, you generally want a low, forward position and a firm grip with your support hand on the forward part of the rifle. The emphasis is on maximizing your ability to direct the rifle, but it does not provide a very stable position and is tiring.

For precision shooting, you generally want to use as little muscle as possible. That means leaning back and put the stock high on the shoulder to get the rifle's center of gravity as close to yours as possible, while keeping your elbow tucked in tight against your chest to allow your ribs to support the rifle. You want a direct line of bone-bone support from the rifle to your chest, hips, legs, and forward foot. This gives a very stable platform at the expense of having much less lateral control over the rifle.

The style illustrated in >>32329863 is an old-style combat stance and is kind of in between. It's not a competition-style target stance because you're still relying on the arm muscles to support the rifle (and would be illegal because of the sling), but it's more traditional than a modern combat stance. For most uses, it's probably a good compromise.
>>
>>32329968
>but if you clean your gun every single time you are done shooting this wont be an issue
This is true. As long as you aren't shooting that Yugo surp through it without cleaning, you'll be fine. And on top of that, you get a nifty grenade spigot so you can make some dummy rifle grenades and shoot them with blanks.
>>
File: 1457736119552.jpg (73KB, 611x404px)
1457736119552.jpg
73KB, 611x404px
>>32329812

If you have no body armor and are facing a slow firing enemy. Stand with your body completely parallel to the target. Put your support arm as far forward on the stock as possible and pull in. "Chicken WING" gives the rifle stock a place to sit. All the while with little silhouette.

With plates, Stand with your body completely facing the enemy. The rest will naturally follow.

>>32330214
>Chick Lean is a standard in competition.

Sure you aren't stuck in 1982?
>>
>>32329805
Yes, it's a great starter gun. It was the first gun my ex girlfriend bought when she was getting into guns.
>>
>>32329805
SKS is fantastic. Don't forget hearing protection if shooting in your backyard or something.
>>
Excellent first gun.
>>
>>32329805
I mean, why blow $400+ when you can save a bit more and into AK?
>>
>>32329805
You should buy the best gun you can to fulfill the mission you have for it. If the mission is SHTF and you have a fixed budget, then it would probably make more sense to spend the budget on a Mini-14/30. For about the same price of an SMS these days, you can get a good, repairable rifle that accepts detachable high capacity magazines in easily obtainable NATO 5.56. An SKS was good when they were practically free and it was all you had money for. But these days there is no reason to to buy it outside of collecting or maybe hunting (something city boys will never do).
>>
The sks is the most durable semi auto rifle, period. It has a milled dust cover and trigger guard. What other rifle can say that? Also, hardwood is sexy and you can hit a man sized target with ease out to several hundred yards. I love mine more than any other rifle I own. There's a reason that I own 3
>>
File: 2016 Rio Olympics.jpg (132KB, 1200x636px) Image search: [Google]
2016 Rio Olympics.jpg
132KB, 1200x636px
>>32332436
>Sure you aren't stuck in 1982?
Sure you aren't a dipshit?
>>
The anons are right. My first SA was my Romanian M56. It is a very reliable and accurate rifle. Recoil isn't bad too. Pretty good cartridge too. I paid $175 for mine back in 2011, before the sino-banian horde came in.
>>
File: IMG_6216.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_6216.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>32334045
>pic of aforementioned rifle
>>
>>32333084
Dude I get the logic but you lost it at get a mini. It took Ruger decades to figure out problems with those guns.

The sks will always be hands down a more reliable gun than a mini in adverse conditions.
>>
File: 1481800606036.jpg (2MB, 1096x4616px)
1481800606036.jpg
2MB, 1096x4616px
Does this help anon?
>>
SKS is fine. And honestly now that WASR are 650 they're economical again.
>>
Saw a Russian SKS in what seemed to be good condition for $700. Fair price?

Keep in mind this is no-fun CT.
>>
File: P1060811.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px)
P1060811.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>32329805
>I'm looking at how easy 7.62x39 is to shoot, availability of it
Extremely easy to shoot, pretty tame cartridge. Plenty accurate within 400 yards. You won't have trouble hitting anything reasonably sized if you know how to aim. Mine shoots best with golden tiger 762 ammo, same with my vz58.
>>32329805
>and how easy the SKS is to take care of
Maintenance is basically as intensive as you want it to be so long as you shoot noncorrosive ammo. Do a basic field strip, snake the barrel, and clean the bolt/carrier and gas system whenever you feel like it, or at some arbitrary number of rounds like 500 or 1000.
The main thing with the sks is to be careful as you remove the gas tube. There's a pin running under the rear sights, it's on spring tension. So just make sure you don't move the lever past 45 degrees or you risk releasing that too. It can fly pretty good and surprise you. Just be aware of it and you'll have no problem.
>>
>>32332436

>chicken wing
>little silhouette

Kek
>>
>>32329805
If it is easy for you to go to rifle ranges or have space to shoot then I guess why not but consider that you can save up for an ak for not that much more and the price difference of the guns becomes trivial when you factor in ammo if you actually shoot

I'd sooner opt for a handgun if living in a city but I get it if you're between 18 and 21 or just live in a rural area
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.