[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there something wrong with pic related? I'm a very recent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 591146.jpg (135KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
591146.jpg
135KB, 880x660px
Is there something wrong with pic related? I'm a very recent convert from nofunz, got my first AR (M&P Sport II), first 9mm (FNS-9) and my first shotgun (Maverick 88), and this ammo seems like a bargain, but I don't know a lot about the differences between jacketing, load, etc

Redpill me on TulAmmo, /k/
>>
>>32324586
It's fine
>>
>>32324586
It's fine for short range practice.

If you want something to defend your home with you're going to want to get something with a bit higher standards.

If you want to do long range target shooting you're going to want to buy some black hills or reload it yourself.

If you just wanna practice popping targets out to 200y it's fine
>>
>>32324606
Well the think that sucks is that most of the ranges I've been to didn't allow steel jacketed ammo, so I would be specifically buying this for home defense. If it's fine for short range does it really matter in that regard?
>>
>>32324586
non-reloadable
tends to be a poor choice for long-term storage relative to brass-case
supposedly pretty dirty to fire (awful idea for anything that's difficult to clean the gas system in)
probably the least reliable ammo on the planet; expect FTEs, FTFs, everything. if you use this in your daily carry you deserve to die.
slightly harder on extractors but most guns wont give that much of a shit

honestly its ok for plinking ammo but not much else. the only real benefit to it is that it's cheap and available at walmart, so you can go run in, get some cheap nugget ammo, and have fun at the range.

the price difference between brass and steel case is, in most cases, minimal enough that you should just shoot brass. brass-case .223 can be had as low as .28c whereas steel-case tula is like .24c. now, if you fire Russian rounds (7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 9x18mak, 7.62x25, etc etc etc), the price difference is yuge and you should probably just shoot steel-case, but in that case you should be buying Wolf instead of Tulammo anyway.

tl;dr: cheap shitty plinking ammo. it does what it does, you get what you pay for
>>
File: 5.jpg (23KB, 600x487px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
23KB, 600x487px
>>32324586
if you are OK with more cleaning, and less reliability, accuracy, and velocity, then it is fine range ammo. I don't personally shoot it because I don't think the cost savings are worth it, plus I reload and/or sell my brass. But I understand the appeal.

The only thing that pisses me off is that because people shoot this underpowered stuff, manufactures have to overgas their guns, which fucks over brass and/or suppressor shooters. Just another reason to get an adjustable gas block.
>>
>>32324622
steel jacketed ammo probably means something different than you think it does. theres a good chance you can fire almost any ammo at those ranges (save for M855 and whatever).

no, do not use this for home defense, because if you pull the trigger and the gun doesnt fire, tyrone is going to beat you to death with his hi-point. for practice ammo, sure, whatever, but for ammo you're keeping loaded at home, get something half decent. hornady critical defense tends to be a steady recommendation.
>>
>>32324622
A steel jacket and a steel case are two different things.

They probably ban steel core ammo or steel cased ammo. If it's the former that stuff is fine.

>If it's fine for short range does it really matter in that regard?

The reason I said don't use it for home defense is because with cheap brands you can have bad primers or malformed cases that cause malfunctions. It would be a real shame if you needed to shoot someone and your gun didn't go bang.
>>
>>32324622
This is steel-cased ammo, not steel jacketed.
>>
>>32324622
>most of the ranges I've been to didn't allow steel jacketed ammo

wait, what?

maybe you mean they don't allow steel-core (armor piercing) ammo?
>>
>>32324586
It's dirtier than brass cases and the .223 will choke in in some AR15s. Tula ammo that isn't 7.62x39 also isn't very consistent so don't expect 1moa from your AR15 either. There handgun ammo has a worst reputation for being inconsistent and underpowered. People have had squibs but I've never experienced it or seen it fwiw. I only use it for range fun. Someone will say that it's bimetal jacket will reduce barrel life and others will say you can buy a new fancy barrel with the money you save. Rifle ammo can be used for defense in a pinch but dont bother using it for a pistol.
>>
>>32324648
Plenty of ranges don't allow tulammo. Magnet test crap
>>
>>32324586
It's cheap
It's not high quality but passable for plinking
Its steel jacketed with a copper wash so many indoor ranges don't allow it
It wears out barrels faster but not at a rate that makes it more expensive in the long run
It's steel case so it isn't easily reloadable
Some guys s don't like it
Some guns love it
It voids some manufacturers warrantees

And that's really all you need to know.
>>
>>32324627
This is on point.

Also, steel has a tendency to break extractors on AR's. It's a cheap fix but why not just pay a few cents more and buy brass that was designed for the AR platform?
>>
>>32324622
>tula for hd
dont do this. dont ever do this. spend the extra dollar and get ammo that cycles everytime
>>
It's crap ammo

Bad accuracy/precision
Stuck casings
Failures to fire
Even failures to feed sometimes

It's dogshit, m193 is not that much more so the choice is obvious to me after having had to hammer out a wolf casing
>>
File: tmp_8992-1481137859739709774101.jpg (71KB, 460x570px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8992-1481137859739709774101.jpg
71KB, 460x570px
Buy tulammo for when you're just fucking around at the range, but keep a mag of freezy-tips at home on standby for HD
>>
>>32324586

I've used it in a 9mm a bunch of times with no issue. The only people who bitch about it being "dirty" are faggots who don't boresnake their guns every time after they come back from the range because they're lazy fucks. I've also never had a misfire or bad primer, but that just may be luck. Then again, I fire shit like Turk surplus through Mausers and any cheap ammo I can find through an SKS, yet I've never once experienced this mythical "it wears the barrel out faster" phenomena.

I'm of the opinion that people are being whiny drama queens who baby their guns to the point of it being silly.
>>
>>32324586
Of course it's fine

If you're a noguns loser.
>>
>>32326322
So you buy a lot of it then?
>>
>>32324586
it's fine. Just create more fowling than i prefer
>>
>>32324627

>>32324586
Op answer is here
>>
>>32324674
>>32324667
>>32324663
>>32324648

Except that Tula, Wolf and pretty much every cheap/Russian made ammo out there IS steel jacketed. The primary metal used in a bi-metal jacket (like 99.7%) is steel, which then has a very thin copper wash or plating applied over it.

The real issue with Tula and other cheap brands is the low quality powder they use, which leads to more fouling and barrel wear. Granted these issues are relative minor over the life of the rifle, especially with proper care and maintenance, but some people can be quite anal retentive about these things.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.