[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/, crossposter from /tg/ here with a question about the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Damasc.jpg (13KB, 300x219px) Image search: [Google]
Damasc.jpg
13KB, 300x219px
Sup /k/, crossposter from /tg/ here with a question about the ever-divisive Damascus Steel. To clarify, I'm talking the high-carbon Crucible Steel (AKA Wootz Steel) imported from India and forged into swords in Damscus where they went all over the known world, not pattern-welding used in 18th century gun-barrels and knives from the same area.

My question is, while there is plenty about the famous Damascus Steel blades, is there any evidence of Damascus Steel armor, or armor from another Crucible steel? Would the extra flexibility be a drawback as plate or chain, or would the strength of the metal make the force needed to deform it too high for that to be a concern? I've heard that Tsar Michael had a "Bulat" steel helmet made for him in 1621, and some people have theorized that Bulat was very similar or the same, but how well would it have worked?

>And no, Wootz Steel isn't "just" Crucible, some modern steels are better, but for its time the strength, sharpness, and flexibility were astonishing. It still has not been reproduced because th exact processes that produced the steel, such as plants used to add trace elements, the hardening and tempering process, and whatever caused those plant additives to produce natural goddamn carbon nanotubes has been lost.
>>
>>32314361
Yes, there are plenty of examples for Indo-Persian armor made from wootz, lately I saw a Persian helmet from the Markes collection made from wootz. Also there are shields made from wootz and the common 4 mirror armour.
It was simply a high end material of the time, a good steel and it makes good armour, which should have some flex anyways. Since it was metallurgically uniform it was comparatively easy to hammer it into plates, however, bigger pieces needed two or more wootz cakes firewelded together.
Might as well ask on /his/ usually they are better than the /k/ plebs for antiques and such.
>>
There are Asiatic sets of armor made, but i've never seen armor made in Europe out of the stuff.
>>
>>32314361
I would like to point out that "extra flexibility" does not mean Damascus steel bends more for a given load. The Young's modulus of different carbon steels are the same. The extra flexibility is being able to take more force or bending before failure, hence cannot be a drawback for armor.
>>
>>32314361
>>And no, Wootz Steel isn't "just" Crucible, some modern steels are better, but for its time the strength, sharpness, and flexibility were astonishing. It still has not been reproduced because th exact processes that produced the steel, such as plants used to add trace elements, the hardening and tempering process, and whatever caused those plant additives to produce natural goddamn carbon nanotubes has been lost.
Not that anybody would ever do destructive testing of Wootz, but it is just crucible. It was astonishing because nowhere else was making crucible steel at the time, not because it was intrinsically special. Also the goddamn carbon nanotubes do nothing.
>>
>>32314578
Ric Furrer has actually done destruction tests on it, taking examples that are in a very poor state and not worth displaying in museums when higher quality examples in better condition are found.
>>
>>32314551
What a surprise, given that Europe never had "the stuff" in the first place
>>
>>32314578

Op here, I was being a bit pedantic but it hasn't been proven that the carbon nanotubes and the microstrings of another material I can't remember did nothing. Wootz also come from ore with trace Vanadium and possibly some Tungsten, along with other elements from high-carbon plants placed in the crucible and possibly nitrogen added during the quenching (that last one has a more dubious source). It is different in composition than Crucible steel made using tools from the same time period and according to some performs better.
>>
File: 1478968083460.jpg (3MB, 1990x3616px) Image search: [Google]
1478968083460.jpg
3MB, 1990x3616px
>>32314578
>Also the goddamn carbon nanotubes do nothing.
They look pretty. I like it when it is pretty!
>>
>>32314554

Thanks. That's what I meant to ask, but I worded it wrong.
>>
>>32314361
>Would the extra flexibility be a drawback as plate or chain,

There is no extra flexibility - in fact, as a higher-carbon, wootz/bulat/pulad/damascus is more brittle than conventional homogeneous steels.

Secondly, the majority of the use of these steels pre-date most plate, given the supply of damascus to the west really dried up in the 10th C - most armour in that era is mail, which is made by drawing soft, annealed steely wrought through drawplates - something that damascus is really shit at - the dendrites prevent elongation, so it just snaps. The few bits that were plate make it structurally as well as economically impractical.
>>
>>32314679
>Europe never imported pooinloo steel
Drink bleach, senpai.
>>
>>32314713
It doesn't need to be proven. They exist as tiny nanoscale bits in tiny amounts and can't possibly affect anything.
>>
>>32314764
>extremley rare series of 1th century +ULFBERH+T swords,
>about 3 dozens known
Go do the Kurt, pham.
>>
>>32314810
>1th
10th
>>
>>32314820
>1thst
Gottha thenpaii
>>
>>32314616
>Ric Furrer has actually done destruction tests on it, taking examples that are in a very poor state and not worth displaying in museums when higher quality examples in better condition are found.

I think you mean Dr Alan Williams, head of archaeometallurgy at the Wallace Collection, London.
http://wallacecollection.academia.edu/AlanWilliams

Ric's a good bloke and all that, but he's no archaeologist, and doesnt have the sort of access to be chopping samples out of original blades. the number of people who have that sort of academic clout can be counted on one hand....
>>
>>32314904
If you are into Alan Williams, check for Cakir Phillip, Filiz
"Iranische Hieb-, Stich- und Schutzwaffen des 15. bis 19. Jahrhunderts
Die Sammlungen des Museums für Islamische Kunst der Staatlichen Museen zu Berlin und des Deutschen Historischen Museums (Zeughaus) in Berlin"
Ja, it iz in German, but it is a damn good book.
>>
>>32314810

except thats a very plausible theory considering that utter shittons of all sorts of vikings served in Constantinople so obviously some of them brought back the fancy pajeet steel

why must /pol/ corrupt fucking everything with their idiotic zero-fact type of discussion based solely on butthurt
>>
>>32314973
Get your facts straight retard. crucible steel was imported into Europe during a brief time window around the 10th century and used for some famous +ULFBERH+T swords. Likely it as imported from the Caspian sea area by the Volga trade route into the Baltic.
Thats it, besides those blades there is no archaeological record of crucible steel in Europe, Europeans didn't even understood how to make it until the 17th century,

>muh /pol/
>muh not even reading before shitting out a reply
>>
>>32314807

>http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/061116-nanotech-swords.html

>Quotes from the experts who conducted the study.
Verhoeven is skeptical, but while nanotubes can occur naturally in steel these are the first-ever carbon nanotubes discovered, among many other factors. It can't be concluded either way until more tests are conducted.
>>
File: viking-hand-axe-90wvba-full-1.jpg (14KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
viking-hand-axe-90wvba-full-1.jpg
14KB, 920x520px
So insteand of making a new thread, i'll just ask here.

Anybody have this thing from Cold Steel? hows it handle? id like a decent migration era style axe but im a broke nigga. I know CS makes lots of overbuilt clunky things but wondered if this was worth checking into
>>
>>32316422

Never handled that one but their hatchets are pretty damn good.
>>
File: petersen.jpg (20KB, 236x548px)
petersen.jpg
20KB, 236x548px
>>32316676
I have experience with the trail hawk and frontier hawk, they are pretty nice. they arent really period looking though.

Just something i could wear with a viking kit and not look too out of place
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.