[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's it like working at a gun shop/range? Does it pay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0697.jpg (173KB, 1300x383px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0697.jpg
173KB, 1300x383px
What's it like working at a gun shop/range? Does it pay well? I'm looking at getting employed at the baron's den here in Oregon
>>
>>32313687
no

customers suck
work sucks
pay sucks
constant threat of the government destroying your entire economic sector

and depending which state or country you actually live in, you can add the existing local firearms legislature on top as well
>>
>>32313687
>>32313722
What about starting a business in firearms customization? I hear people in CA have a 4 month backlog so there's plenty work.
>>
>>32313740
>firearms customization
the customers stay the same amout of weird and stupid
they just have a higher smugness level because they entered the "mid tier" segment

if you want to have fun at your job you'll have to deal solely in high end stuff

which you can't get into because those niches have been taken up for the last 300 years
>>
>>32313765
>which you can't get into because those niches have been taken up for the last 300 years
Work your way up? Also, it the firearms community really that retarded? I can handle a bit of autism or 14/88. Most of the stuff is going through the internet anyways.
>>
>>32313722
I worked at a large gun shop/range. (Point Blank)
Best job I ever had. I started at $17 an hour when I was 21. I was mostly behind the counter but I also got to go in the back and put together firearms and help the gunsmiths. The customers do not suck. Some are /noguns/ or misinformed. I like teaching them. They are also the easiest to sell overpriced guns to. \

There was also no threat by the gov. We were a big supplier to military/police.
>>
>work innarange
>get guns pointed at you daily
>manager ND's in the room next to you
>hours suck, pay sucks
But I love guns so what are you gonna do?
>>
>>32313771
example:
>last week a customer called that he wanted a Remington 700 in .308win with the 24" barrel
>no big deal, duh
>BUT.. he wanted it cut down to 23"
>why would you want that ?
>says he already has a 26" one
>and a 20" one
>so he wants a 23" one as well because it's the one length in the middle
>oookkaaayy... but that's a custom job... you'll have to pay that up front
>proceeds to bitch around why he should pay for that up front when he hasn't even seen it
>ended up paying for it, gonna pick it up on saturday or so
>>
I worked at an indoor range here in Canada and its okay. I got 12.50/hour plus commision if i managed to sell over 200 bucks of ammo. Which is actually pretty hard desu. Normies have a hard time wanting to pay over 200 bucks for funs. Also
>always get muzzle swept
>people dont listen to instruction
>normies think they're fucking rambo
And the list goes on. I love guns desu, but that wasnt the job for me. If i want to have guns pointed at me all day i would join the police or army
>>
>>32313791
I highly doubt that happened. If your place of business hired someone that didn't know how to handle a firearm then you are working for retards. Also you should have been instructed that before handing someone a firearm you explain the rules. One of them being to not look down the barrel or point it at anyone.
t. someone that has worked at a major gun outlet for over 8 years
>>
>>32313687

Work atta gun counter on a military base. Absolute shit job, would never recommend
>get bitched at by management for trying to take care of legal requirements before helping more customers
>get bitched at by customers who are used to getting their dicks sucked by everyone else in the store but I don't try to because I'm prior military as well
>generally dealing with nothing but shitty attitudes and people whining about "but he said blah blah blah"
>I'm the supervisor and nobody fucking believes me when I tell them we don't have something, then they ask why we can't order something that our distributors don't have in stock
>>
>>32313954
It happened, and everyone is covering for him by not even talking about it. It's a small range, the owner never comes by, and the general manager only comes in to fire people every few months. He seemed to actually know gun safety prior to that moment, but I agree that it seems I am working for retards. As far as customers handling guns, every time I put either a rental or for-sale model in their hands, I run through the whole safety spiel. Most listen, some still will sweep you. That's why I sure as fuck clear every firearm every time.
>>
>>32313687

I know the owner of that fine establishment. Be ready to be called in all the time on your days off.
>>
>>32314087
You should find a different gun store mate. Sounds like you are at risk of getting shot there.
>>
You will learn to hate guns and gun enthusiasts.
You will also find yourself on the wrong end of a loaded gun more times than you'll be able to count.
>>
>>32313991
That happens all the time.
>"Sorry sir, our distributor doesn't have it in stock. We can put in an order, but there's no guarantee on when it will get here."
>'Okay, that's fine, but do you know when it'll get here?'
No you dense fuck, I just told you we don't know. They don't tell us. We'll call you. Please stop calling us one day later asking if it's here when we didn't even ask you to put money down.
>>
>>32314172
Yep already have applied to several places, only happened a few days ago.
>>
>>32314294
Good luck and be safe. Last thing we need is another /k/ommando getting shot
>>
File: 1456902258221.png (1017KB, 848x900px)
1456902258221.png
1017KB, 848x900px
>>32313722
>>32313779
>I am a biochemist
>Got laid off
>Relative is an FFL, who offers me work to keep busy while I look for my next job
>okay.jpeg
>I work part-time at his shop
>two hour round trip to get there and back
>$10/hour, no commission
>I do the shit jobs he doesn't want to do. Lots of paperwork, but more mundane busy work
>do minor gunsmithing, scope mounting, cleaning.
>clientele is mostly fudds and LEOs
>Repeat CA gun law to almost every customer that comes in, including LEOs
>Most are shocked by what they hear. "How is that legal?" "Trump will take care of us!" "I won't comply" are typical responses
>Fudds often draw their CCW to show off their range skills
>Other fudds talk down to me because I'm in my 20s
>repeatedly told by fudds that plastic guns are useless
>repeatedly told by fudds that there is no point to black guns
>repeatedly told by fudds that 45ACP has the most stopping power
>I now hate the CA gun community
>I want my real job back
>>
>>32314430
I'm >>32313779 and even if I was offered $40 an hour I would never work for a CA gun outlet. It was a comfy job here in Ohio because almost everyone in my town was a /hasguns/ and had common sense. We had maybe 5 people draw their firearms but we shut that shit down instantly. We had a few felons come in but we were good at stalling so it was always a clean arrest by the police. The look on the felon's faces when police walk in is priceless.
>>
>>32314542
I shoveled dirt as a job while I was in high school. Now I have a 4 year degree in biochem from a top university, and I'm making 10/hour shoveling dirt while CA fudds lecture me about why my Benelli M2 Field is "a worthless waste of money."

If I don't get another lab job soon, I'm going to set myself on fire.
>>
Hi, this is XXX, how can I help?
>Yeah, do you have this YYY in stock?
...Let me check.

>>Check Website
>>"Out of Stock"

We're out of it, unfortunately
>Okay.

-

This, every day. Do people not realize we post our stock online?
>>
>>32314921
Come to the Northeast man. Not even kidding. There are a ton of well paying jobs here with extremely affordable living and tons of land.
>>
>>32314977
While true gun laws taxes and cultures may vary from awesome to fuck you for living
>>
>>32315804
Better than CA gun "laws"
>>
>>32314430
>Biochemist
Texas, buddy. The petroleum industry needs more chemists of varying forms. That way, you can satisfy your gun hobby and even have big titties on Aryan blondes while you work for the big bux.

Plus, housing is relatively cheaper.
>>
>>32316246
Was just about to say this. You're smart and you like guns. You'll always have a home in vaquero country
>>
>>32316246
>liking Texas blondes
pleb taste
>>
>>32313687
I'm assuming you're referring to the Baron's Den off of I-5 in Eugene? If so, I've been there a bunch (teaching U of O students how to shoot). They are a mixed bag of guys there. Some are weird old timers, some you wouldn't feel comfortable with in a dark alley, and some who are chill. I wouldn't particularly call most of them good salespeople, so if you know your shit, they'll probably snap you up. The manager seems pretty put together and knowledgeable.

I can't comment on pay, but Baron's Den would be a chill place to work.
>>
>>32316472
>not liking texas blondes
Opinion responsibly discarded into the recycling bin so that it may hopefully be made into something other than trash
>>
>>32313687
It's good until you have to deal with pretentious faggots like me
>>
>>32314430

This is my life, but I love this industry.
>>
>>32315804
>gun laws
>taxes
>culture
all better than CA no matter where you go
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.