[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Reportedly, the B-2 Spirit has a radar cross-section (RCS)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: A-12-Avenger-Fort-Worth.jpg (31KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
A-12-Avenger-Fort-Worth.jpg
31KB, 600x400px
"Reportedly, the B-2 Spirit has a radar cross-section (RCS) of about 0.1 m2 (1.1 sq ft).[100] The bomber does not always fly stealthily; when nearing air defenses pilots "stealth up" the B-2, the details of which are secret."

How would this work?

Also, it got me thinking. Is it possible for an aircraft to change shape (through movable surfaces, like a swing wing) in flight to make it more stealthy?

pic somewhat related
>>
Entirely possible its simple things like not using certain control surfaces, or closing inlets for ram air intakes.
>>
>>32310865
Think of it like retracting landing gear, except it's retracting all antennas and other protruberances. It's also going to strict emissions control, which may or may not now involve:
>going from omnidirectional to very tight beam directional comms or receive only comms status
>all active sensors secured
>radiated heat redirected to internal reservoirs and engine power reduced to cut IR signature to minimum levels, all radiated heat redirected aft and up where possible
>all nav and external lights secured
>>
>>32310899
I'm thinking this, lock some moving performance-related part to trade performance for stealth
>>
>>32310865
>How would this work
Stop all wireless transmissions
Slow down to reduce IR radiation
>>
File: stealth.jpg (2MB, 2000x1240px) Image search: [Google]
stealth.jpg
2MB, 2000x1240px
>>32310899
>>32310947
>>32311006
>>32311025

So it doesn't transform into a giant robot?

I was picturing the whole crew yelling "STEALTH UP" in unison and transforming
>>
>>32310865
The shape deflects radio waves in a way that returns less signature to the radar.
The material and colour absorbs more radio waves. These both give it a small signature.

That's my understanding anyway
>>
>>32311054
Well i mean, if you want to think about it, when they do it various shit retract and it shells up.

Everything ITT is speculation btw.
>>
>>32310865
>Reportedly, the B-2 Spirit has a radar cross-section (RCS) of about 0.1 m2 (1.1 sq ft).

Clearly I don't understand radar but I always wondered how this is so useful.

"Sir, we've got an object about a foot square showing up on radar heading for the airfield"

"That size? Too small for a plane. Must be a goose."

"Moving at about 500 knots sir"

"You heard me, mister radar guy, it's a fucking goose"
>>
>>32311540

Thats not how radar works.
>>
File: Fighter radar detection ranges.png (130KB, 768x492px) Image search: [Google]
Fighter radar detection ranges.png
130KB, 768x492px
>>32311540
>>
>>32311540
Radar doesn't just return the intended objects.

Think of RCS as the volume of a song, but the recording is really heavily damaged so you have constant white noise. You're trying to hear the song, but if the volume is low enough, you can't distinguish it from the background.

Same deal.
>>
>>32310865
>when nearing air defenses pilots "stealth up" the B-2, the details of which are secret."

>How would this work?

Active cancelation.
>>
>>32310865
The B-2 would have an RCS smaller than that; a Super Hornet has an RCS near that.

>How would this work?

Dunno about the B-2 doing it, but the F-117, had things like radio antennas retract and its laser designator turn 180 degrees to show a RAM-covered side. Modern stealth aircraft just have antennas that are part of the jet's structure and have their edges coated in extra special RAM.
>>
>>32312628
You mean emitting another radar pulse that's pi out of phase to cancel out the reflected signal?
>>
Honestly that sounds weak as fuck.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.