[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why would you have a Aiming Laser + night vision over something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1394150900710.jpg (250KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1394150900710.jpg
250KB, 640x960px
why would you have a Aiming Laser + night vision over something like night vision or thermal optic?
>>
Because you can't always be looking through your optic.
>>
>>32301517
The peq laser is IR. So you can see your laser and anyone without NVGs can't.
>>
>>32301530
wouldn't someone else be able to see the laser going towards you if they were wearing nvgs?
>>
>>32301553
There's no beam, that would be idiotic. Just a dot.
>>
>>32301562
You're a moron
>>
>>32301586
So the beam of an ir laser is completely visible with nv?
>>
>>32301562
Are you a damn idiot.

Remember in 13 hours when those guys are coming in? Delta or whatever. He halos his peq beam. Please stop replying.

t. I've done a lot of night shoots.
>>
Because NV+laser is useful in close quarters where you can't look through a scope?
>>
>>32301517
IR laser boxes are more multipurpose and easy to integrate into the fact a soldier is already wearing NODs.

>>32301553
You use IR discipline. Same concept as light discipline. You only turn on the laser as you are aiming, you don't just run around with it cranked on all the time. Insurgents can already detect IR, and anybody running around dismounted has learned to limit that stuff. Any more organized military enemy will be even more equipped, so this discipline is already a habit for relevant units.

To the question of having specific night optics, there are some that are quite useful, but if you have a normal magnified optic they mess with it, which is a big downside. If you have a red dot, there are more options for clip on optics to put behind it. I used a micro thermal optic behind a a red dot for a while. It was useful, though it was expensive and the limited FOV it provided diminished its usefulness. Good for a limited number of soldiers to have to allow precision, but overkill to make standard issue.
>>
>>32301553
You're probably thinking of TV where all of a sudden the bank robber has a red dot on his chest.

It's not really so much for surprise. You acquire target and fire. Also hadjis and most people we've been fighting lately lack in the technology department.
>>
>>32301631
Close quarters you go white light in almost all cases. Close quarters requires speed and force as the close proximity will quickly reduce any tech advantage you have.

IR and NODs are good for 100-300m combat at night. Platoon level combat relies on mass fire, so the lasers are sufficient to allow for combat accurate enough suppression.
>>
What if you get attacked by a snow man? Thermals useless
>>
>>32301735
this guy knows whats up, you gotta prep for any conceivable encounter, they even had a movie about getting attacked by snowmen
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.