[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, indulge me in this autistic thought. I'm trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: 1480794168911.jpg (396KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480794168911.jpg
396KB, 1920x1080px
/k/, indulge me in this autistic thought.

I'm trying to write up a far future/sci-fi story and I'm designing the handguns of this world.
While I am by no means qualified in any sciences to put actual solid science behind the design, I am going insane over heat issues in the guns that don't utilize any casing that ejects.
I've already established through some stretch of fiction that the body of the cartridge is solidified chemical propellant that's akin to hard plastic but much more powerful than today's powders.

But the heat. With no case to extract, a whole moving slide is kind of stupid to include anymore, but what to do with the heat produced? Having the action open up seems a bit useless unless that fraction of a second of cooler air exposure can somehow alleviate such heat build up? Chamber locks into a vacuum? Would that help? Open bolt?

I thought about maybe a cooling system of sorts that's integrated in the magazine itself, but that would present problems with the grip itself and heat problems coming in contact with the shooter's hand.

Should I just cop out and explain it away as some super material that the gun is made up of?
>>
Look up caseless ammo. This problem has already been solved.
>>
KRAUT
>>
>>32298880
You're getting overly specific. Remember most people are noguns. A simple pew pew pew will do.
>>
>>32298880

I would probably concentrate more on having a compelling story with characters the reader cares about so he will turn the next page.

The gun thing will be suspended disbelief at that point.
>>
>>32298911
This. Maybe mention some of this stuff off hand, but it shouldn't be your focus.
>>
File: M16A1.png (333KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
M16A1.png
333KB, 1024x1024px
alright, I'll keep all that in mind.
Well, it's a story but I am going to turn into a webcomic (harr harr) but still, I want to make it at least a tad bit plausible. Tad bit.
>>
>>32298908
This. Show, don't tell. If it goes bang, you can have a bit of dialog later wherein an out of water character asks about it and the guy using it just shrugs and says, "Fuck it, it works."
>>
>>32298880
Also, just for the record, most firearms aren't shot hard or long enough to build up the kind of heat you need to ruin a barrel. Shot in small bursts, you can probably waste 20-30k rounds out of an LMG (a thousand belts of ammo or so) - and those have quick-change barrels anyhow, so it's really not even necessary.

If you really, REALLY need a way to wave it off, just make replaceable barrels a thing, using the MG42-type design where you can pop the barrel out the side and replace it in seconds. It's an easy and cheap workaround, and I'd wager that in the future you're talking about it'd even be machine-assisted, making a barrel swap even quicker.
>>
>>32299067
thanks.
That makes sense
>>
>>32298895
SPACE
>>
>>32298880
Nitrogen is already used in missiles to cool off IR and laser seekers.

Have a cap of nitrogen somewhere that can pop some coolant in the gun. The super duper alloy of cyber-nanometals the gun is made of will do the rest I guess.

Also, are there waifus in your story ?
>>
>>32298880

There's a few possible solutions. A silver or copper block attached to the action that absorbs excess heat and radiates it is possible, and could serve as part of the body of the gun. The second would be just adding some cooling additives to the propellant in order to carry away heat and cool the barrel.

The third option would be to just add active cooling, compressed liquid that is allowed to expand into a gas and cool the action before being vented from the weapon.

>>32299067
The barrel of most guns is good for 20-50 rounds in a rush, then 10 rounds per minute or so without overheating and warping.

The problem with caseless weapons (that is mostly solved these days) is added heat in the action, something you can't get rid of by swapping barrels.
>>
>>32298880
Dude, it's sci--fi, just make some shit up. Muzzle brakes made out of cooling fins. Paper-thin casings that sublimate into the propellant's smoke. Lasers that eject spent capacitors like brass. Go wild with it and have fun.
>>
>>32299201
>20-50 rounds in a rush
>10 rounds a minute after that
>Without the barrel overheating and warping

I'm able to put around 100 through my shit-tier Del-Ton AR on an 80F, 78% humidity day before failure, and that's because the chamber gets all fucky. I don't know what firearm you're shooting that can only handle 50 rounds rapid-fire, but you might want to invest in something not complete fucking garbage.

Just make the future-action out of tantalum hafnium carbide. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalum_hafnium_carbide) With the advent of asteroid mining, it's not the craziest shit imaginable.
>>
>>32299176
>Also, are there waifus in your story?

so far, a top ranked cybernetic endboss, a nationalistic soldier of a PMC that's gf with main antagonist, and a local planetside cop partner.

Sounds very weird with all that out of context, but hopefully I'll get it up and running sometime next year.

That said, it's always been an autistic trait of mine to go a bit crazy over some sci-fi tech that somehow performs miracles. Hence why I want to sort of ground some things a bit back down to reality, even if it takes place hundreds of years.
>>
>>32298880
you are getting too technical for a item of your book, unless their is a reason to go into greater detail of what is essentially a prop...don't, thats how books get bloated and you make your editor get additional headaches over dealing with that shit.
>>
>>32299248
Redheads. We want redheads. And make sure the carpet matches the drapes.
>>
>>32299226

Sorry, I wasn't clear. 10 rounds per minute sustained isn't 'or it will explode' it's 'or you are significantly reducing barrel life'. If you've got a heavy barrel you can go a bit higher.

Even a light AR barrel should be able to fire much more then that before it fails, and of course rate of fire isn't going to effect shit building up in the chamber.

>Ti-Hf-C

Very high temperature compounds could allow the weapon to remain intact and survive being heated with no damage, but it couldn't function at such high temperatures. No matter how stable your future high temperature propellant is it's going to start cooking off once your chamber is hot enough to melt lead.
>>
>>32299265
There's a certain kind of book that thrives on this sort of stuff, however. David Weber and John Ringo give huge amounts of detail on weapon systems and fans love it.
>>
>>32298880
just read how Mass effect weapons work on their wikia, it's literally the same thing you are doing
I would focus more on the story instead of how the gun works, maybe you care but readers don't need or want that kind of info, if it shoots shit and kills it's enough, maybe some offhand comment by other characters or some gun broker might do but I would not get into the full inner workings of a gun
>>
File: kraut space magic.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
kraut space magic.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>32298880

you'll want to look up the G11 and the 4.73 x 33mm caseless round, which were both developed in the final years of the cold war.
>>
File: heatsinkbarrelnut.jpg (22KB, 495x291px) Image search: [Google]
heatsinkbarrelnut.jpg
22KB, 495x291px
Just slap a heat sink on it and say it's good enough to keep it cool under normal circumstances.

Also gives you an excuse to slap a big futurey looking rectangle on a gun, those are essential for sci-fi after all.
>>
>>32298880
>Should I just cop out and explain it away as some super material that the gun is made up of?
Yes. Unobtanium has heat dissipating properties that border on comic book physics.

PROTIP: If you concentrate on all the minute details so much as your post indicates, you'll write a POS story that will net you all of 3 fans and a whole bunch of people considering you a sperg. Just look at G.R.R.Martin.
>>
File: 1426012209536.webm (613KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1426012209536.webm
613KB, 720x540px
>>32299288

From the wiki:

"The issue of heat removal from caseless firing weapons as well as methods of igniting them continues to be researched by other companies. An alternative route was taken by the Austrian company Voere, which fired a caseless round developed by Austrian inventor Hubert Usel for the Voere VEC-91, that was electrically fired. This technique makes it possible to greatly increase the ignition temperature of the ammunition, while maintaining the ability to fire it."
>>
>>32298880
Thermal clips.
Its all explained in the ME universe.
The Geth did some calculations and found out that the ones that do more fire,or more rounds in the battle are usually the winners.
So they ditched the classic element zero guns that have unlimited ammo but fire slow with fast shooting guns but they dump the heat in the thermal clips that need to be swapped.
The rest of the galaxy quickly adopted this trend.
>>
>>32299290

That thing looks neat

Is there any actual documented benefit to it?
>>
>>32298880
write up a far future/sci fi universe where Looking Glass Studios and Bullfrog still make good games
>>
>>32299314
I'm still salty over how shot the actual implementation of that was.
>universal clip for ease of logistics, have separate ammo pools for each gun
>ammo count economy instead of clip based
>no hybrid weapons that used a dissipating sink before consuming chemical sinks
>No old style weapons, particularly for pistols
Everything about it was just half-assed.
>>
>>32299382
Yeah, you had to wait until the 3rd game to get old-style heat sink and radiator weapons, and then it was just the old Lancer.
>>
>>32299382
>have separate ammo pools for each gun
Different rates of heat production by each gun
>ammo count economy instead of clip based
Again no gun produces the same heat
>>
>>32299156
MAGIC
>>
I Have An Idea

What if there was a compressed coolant that was in each mag kind of like a Co2 cartridge but thinner. Every shot or movement of the slide activates the nozzle thingy that cools the action. Every time you load the case less ammo you just refill the coolant.
>>
>>32299995
That has the issue of magazines needing specialized equipment, even if it's just a commonplace air compressor, to refill mags, something you might not have if you're in the field.

It wouldn't be a very big deal for things like police where they're not going to be needing to do that though.
>>
>>32298880
Caselsss ammo already exists <_<
>>
>>32299995
Hell why doesnt he do Peltier TEC Cooling at this point.
all you need 12 volt battery and we have ones already the size of my fist that are used on bikes and stuff.
Condensation would be a bitch though
>>
You know how C-4 can't be set off just by holding lighter to it? You're worrying too much about the buildup of heat. Make up a new composition for the propellent. Something activated by electrical current rather than firing pin. Now red hot barrels are something you can describe.

Try this:

"Bolt after bolt of fragmenting molybendum chaos was flung out of the end of the rifle, impacting with a gutteral sound and no petty display of violence into the center of grey flesh that was the beast. Still, the thing lumbered towards him. Screaming, with eyes clenched shut, he continued to fire. The magazine capacity readout continued to fall, one hundred, eighty, thirty, fifteen, dry, click, click, click. The electronic firing system crackled empty, and Fagtard opened his eyes. The red hot barrel of his MK271 Ultra EMG sizzled and glowed, and his hand shook as they gripped the dildo, but Mecha Merkel was dead, and her dream of a unified interplanetary government with her.
>>
>>32299290
For additional fiddly bits, add a block of ablative material that sublimes away when the heat sink gets too hot. The vapor carries excess heat away, and makes for cool visuals. Have the vapor turn red when the ablative block is almost used up.

Just think about it. After a long gunfight, your gun emits plumes of white vapor off to each side for like 15 seconds as it cools down.
>>
File: 12343214321.jpg (112KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
12343214321.jpg
112KB, 800x604px
>>32298880
Just slap a giant fan on the gun and go for that silly retro-futuristic aesthetic
>>
File: it fucking kills you.jpg (14KB, 686x216px) Image search: [Google]
it fucking kills you.jpg
14KB, 686x216px
>>32298880

Supercavitating Wadcutter bullets, pic related.

This effectively doubles or triples the wounding capabilities of your pistol rounds.

In fact it could be reasoned they become the standard Civilian round because they're less likely to ricochet and a flat head on the front reduces armor penetrating capabilities (and Armor Penetrating supercavitating rounds - THV type - are easily distinguished).

Even though they should also be more stout... it means as long as you have the meat penetration it might as well be like getting shot by a 44 Magnum hollowpoint.

They can still be cased ammunition, just made with nickel or titanium plated cases so they're rienforced properly. Because improved industrial manufacture spamming makes this cheap.

We can say the 5.7x28mm was straight-walled out to 7mm with an improved rienforced base, and the power charge was jacked up to .357 magnum levels.

So basically they're all like the Five Seven except with an indistinguishably larger muzzle. 20 or 30 round magazines.

Maybe even 40 or 50 rounds because of Quad Stack design. The top of the magazine can be double stack, with a shortened pistol grip, so its still easy enough to hold onto. While the rest of the magazine expands to accommodate the (brick) quad stack portion.

Tweakers and operators could be using extended quad stack magazines with ludicrous capacities like 80 or 100 rounds for the same profile as a glock extended mag.

Sounds like a cyberpunk gun huh?

> The answer to the heat problem

Is using specialized highly conductive alloys (aluminum is good but im sure they'd have something better by then).

You have a heat conducting strip with internal baffles that runs along the top of the pistol. Its going to get hot as fuck but it will tame the heating on the gun just enough to make it feasible.

> Dont holster it right away, but then again unless you're firing a whole bunch its not going to get THAT hot. And anyway if you're shooting in a big gun battle
>>
File: E-11 Storm Rifle.jpg (38KB, 508x465px) Image search: [Google]
E-11 Storm Rifle.jpg
38KB, 508x465px
>>32303846

(Cont'd)

Bullet cases could even be made out of recycled titanium but its still unlikely. They have made alloys of plastic-metal before. Also industrial process could literally have a small robotic nozzle reach down inside the case (500 of them at a time) and Spray a layer of nickel or titanium which is then bonded in some other way (such as a chemical bath).

And if you want to get into it, it could be possible to make a Chemically Bonded material of different metals that arent simply alloys but have been treated by a series (of roundabout) chemical reactions. End up with something thats bullshit strong from common metals that wouldnt normally amount to that.

Also... maybe synthesizing pure sheets of Nanocarbon tubes is troublesome... but you can take and combine them with Stainless Steel for added strength (not as a composite but embedded in the steel).

> everything could be built out of this shit.
> could be 10 times stronger than normal steel without rust or corrosion

Also as for the propellant charge that a 5.7x28 case can hold, now that barrels and even casings can withstand a fuckton more pressure you can put nastier propellants in it.

High explosives have about 2 times the overall firepower of smokeless powder. Though the reason they're not ideal for firearms is because of the immense pressure spike involved, it doesnt have to be a straight use of HE.

> Superfuels

Lets also consider the possibility that through complicated chemistry and somebody stumbling upon it, that a new kind of Fuel with more energy capacity than gasoline gets developed, this can be used as a propellant in firearms (partially, along with traditional propellant) for a serious boost.

Along with explaining some of the other tech they have developed (flying cars?).

Pic is related because the Corbana gas from the star wars franchise reminded me of that. A star culture using combustion as one means to operate some of their equipment (and even their guns and cannons).
>>
>>32298880
Maybe the gun sacrifices fire-rate for a bit when overheating to have time to dump heat into the bullets themselves? With a set of retractable heatsinks that get exposed when it's overheated and no bullets are fired?
Like the Plasma gun in Halo.
>>
>>32298880
Ever watch Nanoha or seen how their magical staves work? Especially after they add the Belkan cartridge systems.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.