[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is ricochet something the average person needs to worry about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: giphy.gif (3MB, 459x259px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3MB, 459x259px
Is ricochet something the average person needs to worry about with pistols doing outdoor target shooting? What would one do you avoid it?
>>
>>32297181
there is a reason metal targets are only sold for .22lr most of the time.
That webm is the reason.
>>
>>32297181
Step one. ONLY SHOOT STEEL TARGETS. The guy in that clip was shooting at iron. Iron is very hard but also very brittle. That makes drastic ricochets more likely. Step two. TIP YOUR TARGETS DOWN so the angle of the target deflects splash and ricochet into the dirt. Some splash back is inevitable, make sure it goes in a direction that won't hurt anyone. Step three. HANG YOUR TARGETS SO THEY MOVE FREELY. If you bolt up a steel target so tight it cant move, all the energy will stay with the projectile. If the plate is free to swing, the movement of the plate will absorb a lot of energy. Make sure you're using steel of an appropriate hardness, if you're only shooting pistols at it, this isn't a big deal.

Be safe and have fun!
>>
>>32297181
Don't go to a shitty range.
Caught a .45 ricochet in my chest once.
>>
>>32297274
Hahahahahaha.
Hold on, let me find all the reasons you're wrong. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
>>
>>32297285
how was it
did it penetrate?
>>
>>32297275
>Only shoot at steel
or, you know, anything else that's softer. Realistically, it makes sense to use a good steel target made by a reputable company, but you can also use cooking pans that were in the dumpster or a refrigerator door left on the side of the road

>Tip targets down
or up, that way you might hit a bird and unintentionally turn your range trip into a hunting trip

>Hang targets to move freely
Agreed, use some high quality rope, some sturdy chains, or do what I did once and install two door hinges on a tree branch and then use them to hook your targets onto
>>
>>32297311
Nah, just left an imprint that was bloody for a week or so then bruising that looked like I was point blanked with a paintball for about a month.
>>
>>32297331
Never fucking ever tip up your targets up. You would be firing splash back at the shooter. Think about a water balloon, and how water sprays in every direction. Now think about a flat surface tipped back and how that would redirect the water.
>>
>>32297364
That's why you wear eye protection, numb nuts
>>
mythbusters pretty much proved this webm false and that a bullet ricochet 180 degrees back to you is impossible
>>
>>32297408
Never fucking ever tip your targets up. Period. Begging for a piece of copper jacket to find a lucky mark and slide through your jugular.
>>
>>32297431
The entire bullet will not turn straight back around and hit you. Did you notice that puff of dirt right in front of the shooter? Ricochet from steel targets isn't just one solid piece of gullet, it's fragments of jacket, spalling off the target, bits of soft lead all traveling at a high velocity. There is a very real chance of catching some of that if you do not have a safe layout of effective targets. I know /k/ is noguns on principle, but this is as bad as telling people to check and see a gun is loaded by looking down the barrel. splash back and ricochet can be LETHAL and we don't need people dying for no reason.
>>
I went out november 27th to tumney hills and we shot a few hundred rounds of pistol ammo with my dad and his law enforcement buddies in the space of those few hundred rounds I managed to fell a sting on my right lower hip that stung like a bitch for a minute. Took a fragment from a mild steel target about 20-30 yards behind me while I was at the rifle table we set up.
>>
>>32297431
Mythbusters can fuck right off, their method is about as scientific as creationism.

>>32297358
Sounds about right, ricochets lose a lot of velocity, I imagine it was a little bit like being shot wearing a soft armor.
>>
Gerfag here. I shot some pellet rifle as a child. Used 15x15cm targets at ~30m. I just pinned them to a nail on some fence post. Once got a ricochet .. heard the thing fly past my face like 50cm. Got a little scared and from then on wore eyepro.

Inb4 got ptsd from pellet rifle ricochet.
>>
>>32297299
>he can't find the reason in 6 hours

But you can have metal targets everytime you want, so searching is useless
>>
>>32299645
Similar thing happened to me, my brother was firing one at a target propped up against a palm tree. I was standing nearby, got hit in the shoulder. He also once shot me with a BB gun. Bastard.
>>
>>32297285
I caught slag in my leg from dindus shooting the ceiling at a shit range
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.