[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>>32295319 many street fights end up on the ground because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

>>32295319
many street fights end up on the ground because people aren't proficient enough to stay on their feet.

the first rule of combat is to maintain balance and mobility. intentionally going to the ground is a huge tactical blunder and can easily get you killed
>>
>>32295319
>>>/asp/
>>
Most street fights are not 1 on 1.
>>
>>32295319
Most of the times it goes to the ground because someone loses balance. Good boxing and clinching is should be a priority. Also notice whenever it goes to the ground they always get stood back up by the crowd making your grappling useless.
>>
being good at striking can help prevent you from going to the ground. but its still a good idea to train grappling too
>>
>>32295319
If you're going to half ass it and go twice a week then BJJ will be your most effective self defense bang for your buck.
If you're going to train hard then Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ, are all reasonable options.

Wrestling and Judo will enhance your grappling and takedown skills immensely but they shouldn't take a priority over BJJ.
You can learn some brutal kicks from Taekwondo, not the round kick that goes to Muay Thai. Taekwondo is a shit striking base on its own.

The key to finding a good instructor is do they train you to take fights and what's their success record there.

Untrained people go to the ground because they move like piles of dogshit, most people have worse balance than children.
>>
File: 1479949274452.jpg (398KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1479949274452.jpg
398KB, 960x1280px
>>32295938
I lift weights 5 days a the week at the gym so I don't have a ton of time or joint strength left to be going to an MMA gym 4x a week or something :(
>>
>>32295982
Then do BJJ twice a week, even knowing a little bit of BJJ is a huge advantage over someone who knows nothing of it.
Which can't really be said for most things, you have to be at least mediocre boxer to have a huge advantage over the average joe street fighter.
You'll only understand what I mean if you try it.
>>
>>32295319
people fall over when they start losing

your time would be best spend doing bag exercises and learning to punch harder

9/10 grown men cannot fight with all their might for A SINGLE MINUTE. If you cannot fight with all your might for one minute you have no business learning any martial art past learning to strike harder. I encourage you all to test yourself on a punching bag (continuous full force punches and kicks for a full minute) so you have a gauge of your actual fighting capability and know just how many seconds it takes your punches to become totally ineffectual.
>>
>>32295982
i would hit but i would not impregnate.
>>
>>32296115
taking martial arts can help build your endurance to be able to fight for more than a minute. idk wtf youre talking about here
>>
File: 1471115859608.jpg (185KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1471115859608.jpg
185KB, 800x900px
>>32296115
>cannot fight for A SINGLE MINUTE
This is probably me. I can rep out on bench press for days but I can barely jog a fucking mile if I'm not on a treadmill...
>>
>>32296168
anybody who hasnt trained is going to struggle fighting for more than a minute. but thats what training is for
>>
>>32296115
An Olympian could toast themselves in a minute if they wanted to do that, going all out is subjective.
A good gauge with this would be to see how long it takes you before you can do it again at a similar pace.
>>
>>32296155
you should watch some heavyweight ufc fights, aka armfloppers. Keep in mind these are professional fighters
>>
>>32296168
For me running farther helps with this.
If I can only run one mile before I feel genuinely terrible I will run three miles at probably a horrid pace but still running.
My lower distance, in this case the one mile time generally improves.
>>
>>32296357
i have. they still go way longer than the average person. also bigger people tend to have worse cardio but more power
>>
An interesting point to make on street fights and grappling and fight escalation: If you are in a fight with someone and you are both just trying to claim victory and not really hurt the other person or defend yourselves (barfight/confrontation), then initiating a headlock armbar etc will often encourage the other person to use a weapon, use more brutal fighting moves (gouge eyes and bite, crushing the groin) and will encourage bystanders to attack you. I have seen it happen multiple times.
>>
>>32296515
If you have them in a "headlock" (I assume you mean choke hold) and youre doing it properly they're going to go to sleep. Same with an arm bar except their arms going to snap at the elbow. The only reason things would get worse for you by using a submission hold would be if you didn't know what you're doing or if your opponent is a better grappler.
>>
File: 1459995142722.png (624KB, 538x794px) Image search: [Google]
1459995142722.png
624KB, 538x794px
>>32296515
>encourage the other person to use a weapon
>encourage bystanders to attack you
man these are all "lose" options. what's the "win" option?

>inb4 360 and run away
>>
>>32296605
leaving when they try to fight you, getting a gun

>>32296592
not all choke attempts are successful, obviously if you do it properly it wont matter but you may fail the dude still thinks you are trying to snap his arm, and so do his friends and perhaps onlookers, who were perhaps willing to watch him get his ass kicked, but are not willing to watch him get his shit bent backwards or watch him get choked out once they see him start to twitch
>>
>>32296592
>>32296669
to extrapolate im not trying to talk shit about grappling in any way
>>
>90% of street fights go to the ground
says who? Internet lore BS
>>
>>32296669
Maybe maybe not, but if you're in a fight where your attacker has onlookers and friends it's probably not something you should have gotten yourself into in the first place.

Unless you are defending your life or someone elses, there's literally no reason to get into street fights especially because you don't know who's going to be stupid enough to start shooting or slashing over some bullshit at the bar.
>>
File: PatriciaIreneBen.jpg (107KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
PatriciaIreneBen.jpg
107KB, 612x612px
>>32295319
I wrestled when I was younger and was into power lifting and sports, also being samoan helped occasionally, but wrestling I feel is really good to know if you can learn. Might be odd though being a grown guy, so maybe BJJ. A little off topic but why when I would go out would little guys always try and start shit with me? in college it was a reason I stopped going to bars near campus. Do little white guys really want to fight that bad to impress their buddies?
>>
I'm a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do In my opinion the most important tool for one to use in a fight is really just mobility and endurance. Fighting to me is pretty much whoever runs out of gas first loses
>>
>>32298003

I'm an average-sized white guy and I would be your drinking buddy, anon.
>>
I have 12 yrs experience across 4 disciplines
>karate 3yrs
>wrestling (folkstyle) 4yrs
>MCMAP 5yrs
>Krav Maga 1yrs

your first and best option is to de-escalate the situation and remove yourself from the area.
swallow your pride and walk away...

...now failing that...

if all you want is to end a fight quickly go Krav
Krav was designed to inflict maximum damage as quickly as possible so you can live to fight another day, often times we would run drills focused on controlling a superior number of opponents by keeping a "locked up" opponent between you and his friends.

if you want to hold your own on the ground, look for BJJ or Judo, but know that while you are on the ground with target A his friends B, and C may capitalize on the opportunity. going to the ground is dangerous in a street-fight you have to contend with pavement and secondary threats (or police you may mistake as secondary threats)

a good ballance would be just a general MMA studio, but that would probably have a focus on compitition and not realworld aplication

I'd recommend finding multiple studios in for area with as many different disciplines as possible, most SHOULD let you attend one free class, do this and figure out what gym will be the best fit for you...

If you find a multi dicipline school ask if you can mix and match...
>Krav on M, W, F
>BJJ on Tu,Th, Sat
>go Friday + Saturday

HOWEVER remember that reallife is not like a sparing match in a dojo - the other person/people will be actively trying to hurt you and they won't be wearing gloves and neither will you.
regardless of what discipline you choose, you need to learn how to punch properly without breaking yourself and how to take a real hit
>>
>>32295319
I'd focus more on the fact that you expect ending up in a fight which would indicate some deep seated issues. There's 7+ billion of us on this world and only a minute fraction of us end up in fights. Those that do end up in fights are the ones that deviate from the norm. Why is that?
>>
>>32295319
your best bet is to learn how to kick people in the crotch and run REALLY fast
>>
>>32299352
Krav is a shit tier memestyle. Just do judo. It's cheap and you get to learn how to fuck people up with gravity.
>>
>>32299371
if you pick a shitty studio, yes
any discipline is shit tier if you have a shit gym

like i said, shop arround
>>
>>32299392
The only decent krav on earth is pretty much in Israel. And I'm even torn on that. Too much focus on "the street", not enough on solid fundamental striking and grappling.
>>
>>32298003
Being that you're Samoan everyone is probably little to you.
>>
>>32296168
Contrary to what MMA fags on this board will tell you, that is an OKAY configuration to win fights in. All you need to do is not tire yourself so when the time comes you can use your strength advantage.
>>
>>32299366
Bullshit. Everyone and their mother expect a crotch-shot so it most likely won't hit and, even if it did, it doesn't drop people like it does in cartoons due to the fact that people expect it and due to the fact that adrenaline tends to run really high when you fight.
>>
>>32296416
Thats because cardio kills gains
>>
>>32296115
>If you cannot fight with all your might for one minute you have no business learning any martial art
You're an idiot.

No one should listen to anything you have to say.

t. 15 years training and competing in combat sports
>>
>BJJ is difficult to apply when weapons are involved
>BJJ can't into multiple opponent
Great idea needs improvement
Not to say that if you have a 1v1 I wouldn't start getting close and dirty but if we aren't fighting life and death I'm not doing to engage in a situation that I'll have to explain to a court later on.
Grappling is great and all but I'm more keen to push your eyes in and wrench your balls with my fantastic grip action.
>mfw I first got punched in the dick
>there are no rules anon
I am become enlightened
Now I know why there's a technique called Monkey Grabs Peaches in Kung fu.
>>
>>32295319
Most 'street fights' are someone gets sucker punched, and almost always blunders for a few minutes until they fall down and the sucker puncher beats them half to death.

The total bad ass who shrugs off a few blows and then destroys his attacker looks cool on tv and youtube, but that isn't how real life works most of the time. Generally you're going to get smashed when you don't expect it and not recover. It goes back to life not being fair. All your training is for shit when five untrained attackers are wailing on you at the time time or you where telling them to back off when someone hit you over the head with a brick.

Add to this the fact that few real street fights are one on one and the high chance of being stabbed.
>>
>>32295319
It's definitely not 90% of fights, that's just numbers pulled out of someone's ass. Find a good JJ dojo, not BJJ, of all martial arts JJ is the one that most often focuses on practical self-defense.
>>
>>32299522
Bullshit on your bullshit Everyone is on adreneline when fighting in the first place. So getting hit is going to be lessened regardless. Even punching someone without having deadened nerves in your index and middle knuckle is going to hurt like a bitch.
Yes, it's instinctive as a male to protect your groin.
No, it's not instinctive to read someone who is training to not TELELEGRAPH their actions. People train to hide their intentions. It's one of the first things you want to learn.
>>
>>32299517
>that is an okay configuration to win fights

Against who? Other untrained baboons swinging wild like retards? Then yeah you've got a good chance but if you're serious about self defense you don't train for the best case scenario.
>>
A FUCKING GUN
DO NOT GET INTO A CHIMP SWINGING CONTEST
IF YOU FUCK UP YOU WILL GET YOUR HEAD STOMPED ON
BUY A FUCKING GUN
FIGHT FOR FUN, COMPETITION, OR GOOD EXERCISE
SHOOT FOR YOUR LIFE
>>
>>32299600
I still stand by my post. All your 'training' arguments fly out of the window when there's no ref and padding in a controlled environment. Adrenaline makes people lose higher brain functions and all your martial arts training tends to be forgotten when your brain goes into adrenaline mode and instincts take over. Attacks will be telegraphed no matter what unless someone has a natural knack for not doing it and a lot of experience in street-fu. What does that mean? 99.999% will make telegraphed punches and the rest are prolly already in jail so you won't be fighting them.
>>
>>32299632
> master race

Prove your dominance through fisticuffs
>>
>>32299632
>>32299679
>not using a katana
you're both wrong
>>
>>32299639
>HURR DURR TRAINING DOESN'T WORK ON THE STREETZ

Yeah I remember when I was 15 too.

https://youtu.be/jJUw7OXXGwg

https://youtu.be/W_5Wm2C70w8

https://youtu.be/hQlP1we_1WA

https://youtu.be/GHrSpm0SSGA

https://youtu.be/tpgg7mwxoLU

https://youtu.be/2dcUF-O96iI

Now that's out of the way, don't talk about the "streetz" like you've actually been there because you obviously havent.
>>
>>32299705
>Few cherry-picked yt videos
>hueg amount of sarcasm
>hurr-durr, i won the argument
How old are you?
>>
>>32299741
>cherry picked youtube videos
>literally over two hours of footage I found in 5 minutes

Howany do I have to show you before it counts?
>>
>>32299747
Just a bit >50% of all streetfights ever. That would be enough to say with 100% accuracy that more fights go the way you said they do.

My original point still stands >>32299522
>>
>>32299768
>"says something retarded"
>that's retarded, and here's a bunch of evidence showing why
>"I won't be convinced until you show me a literally unobtainable amount of evidence despite the fact that I have nothing supporting my original retarded thought in the first place."

It's amazing to me that people actually believe that practicing fighting doesn't make you better at fighting in the first place.
>>
>>32299779
And again you make the fallacy of assuming that training in any sort of controlled environment will make you prepared for the real stuff. Tell me, which organisation allows and practices eye gouging? How bout biting off noses? How bout getting stabbed in the kidney? How bout thinking it's 1v1 till someone else sneaks up and kicks you in the back of the head?
>>
>>32299808
The first lesson of pretty much any self defense seminar I've been in a
Has been in situational awareness.

But even if you only ever trained for sport you could still do anything a street fighter could do (ie: dick kicking, nose biting, eye gouging) plus a shit load of other things they cant. For example, your average boxer I'd going to know how to throw punches quickly without telegraphing, throw with power, throw punches without throwing themselves off balance, move without losing balance, utilize headmovement properly, parry and block incoming punches, etc etc etc

If you're going to get into a fight, there's a fuck load of benefits to training and exactly zero benefits in not training.
>>
>>32295319
Dumb Nigglet....

Never...Never..Fight a fat guy.
>>
>>32299850
I appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into mastering a martial art of any kind. Hell, I spent most of my youth training karate but I never deluded myself that it would be in any way useful in a SHTF scenario. The biggest advantage I personally got is the fact that I'm not limp wristed or slouched so I won't get singled out for a surprise cultural enrichening unless one day I end up being extremely unlucky. Still, there are people out there that just have the natural talent for hurting/maiming/killing others and no amount of training is gonna make a difference against them.
>>
>>32299896
Whatever you say, man. I'm sure you're strip mall karate classes and suburban lifestyle have given you a lot of perspective on both those who dedicate time to legitimate combat sports and real world violence.
>>
>>32299980
>assuming i'm actually from murrka and not from a country that is both post-communist and post-war
Whatever floats your boat. I seriously hope you keep in mind that all your training has limitations and that you NEVER end up in a situation where you have to test it. We have a difference of opinion but i truly don't want you harm or that you end up in a SHTF situation.

Love,
Anon
>>
>>32295362

It depends. If you are absolutely certain it's a 1v1, going to the ground is to your benefit, see MMA, but since you can never been certain it's a 1v1, you need to be ready to book it when Jamal's 8 friends decide he needs help.
>>
>>32300010
Different anon, this is my mindset as well. Urban Youth don't start shit solo. "Run like a bitch" is a 100% valid self defense technique
>>
>>32296150
bad goyim race mixing is tolerance
>>
>>32295319
You know what beats all that shit? A shotgun shell filled with salt rocks/smarties.
I'm not big on fighting. Violence literally makes my dick rock hard. Can't take the chance of someone stepping on my dick at full boner.
>>
File: 1457825336623.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
1457825336623.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
>>32295319
Is kicking an option?
>>
File: bananabeard_final.png (643KB, 894x672px) Image search: [Google]
bananabeard_final.png
643KB, 894x672px
/asp/ fag here, or at least was before Hiro destroyed our board
Going to the ground in a street fight is a very very very bad idea, BJJ is a top tier art but never willingly go to the ground on the street. You still should learn BJJ, just don't go to the ground by your own free will. Judo is a good alternative if all you want to train for is street, since throwing someone onto concrete will fuck them up.
For striking, muay thai, boxing, kyokushin karate, and kickboxing are all good options with muay thai being the best imo
99% of people can't even throw a proper punch and just wildly swing out haymakers. After 6 months of training, you aren't going to be competition ready but you'll be able to wipe the floor with most people.
>>
>>32299639
Do you think people training to fight don't also have adrenaline? Do you think that in a no holds barred street fight that some guy who trained is going to follow rules and regulations? Why do you think that knowing how to grapple and throw a kick/punch won't help on the street? Do you think that adrenaline would change a punch to the chin knocking someone out? Who can deliver a faster, stronger groin kick? Some retard with no training or a muay thai practitioner? Who do you think is more likely to be able to defend against a groin kick, a random dude with no training or a muay thai practitioner who trains to block kicks and maintain distance?
What you're doing is the equivalent of saying "DUDE GANG BANGERS WOULD FUCK TRAINED SOLDIERS UP, DA STREETZ AIN'T THE SAME AS UR WARZONE"
>>
>>32300701
Kicking? I wanna do some kicking
>>
>>32299639
>Adrenaline makes people lose higher brain functions and all your martial arts training tends to be forgotten
>There's no need to train for any critical situation, ever
Somebody alert all the worlds military personnel, policemen, firefighters, EMTs, doctors, sailors and seamen, as well as anyone who has ever participated in a fire drill, evacuation drill or first aid course, and tell them it was all for nothing.
You train EXACTLY because once it's on, you will not be able to figure this shit out on the fly, and in order to desensitize you to all the stress and noise and confusion. You train EXACTLY because you will not rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training.
If that was bait, consider me more hooked than Amy Winehouse.
>>
>>32300814
Maynonaise is not an instrument
>>
>>32296115
This.
In boxing classes we were doing 5 minute bag drills of ONLY JABS.
Then 5 minutes bag drills of only crosses.
We would also do bag drills practicing combos especially the 1-2. And 1-2-3.
Cardio is king.
Also doesn't hurt to be able to double up or triple up on jabs.
Jabbing someone 3 times in the same spot before they get in range is a good headstart to a fight.
A cross or hook with your power hand after that would at least drop most people if it doesn't KO them.
>>
>>32295319
My own advice which has actually proven to work in the few times I got into fights, is to train hands/feet boxing HARD (French boxing in my case), and do some wrestling on the side (greco-roman).

My own analysis of a fight goes like this: the first to successfully strike wins, and from that point, your opponent is so weakened you can just beat the shit out of him. You just need to learn to make that hit.

There are hitters and grapplers, the first using their hits to put distance with their opponent, the second willing to get up close at all cost. Wrestlers aren't used to get hit by boxers, and boxers aren't used to get grappled by wrestlers, which is why you should be used to both. Even against a professional wrestler, if you can punch the shit out of him at the speed of light, he won't be grabbing you. If he does, then this is when your wrestling goes in handy.

But then, don't just go wrestling like an idiot: wrestling isn't quite practical, having someone in a lock serves no purpose if you're alone, even less if you're surrounded, there won't be a referee putting an end to it. So you should combine the two, and lock someone with the purpose of exposing him to your hits. Part of the purpose of wrestling is, if you're too close to your adversary, you don't have enough distance to deliver a proper hit.

Most street fights go to the ground because in people's minds, that's how it's done. There's no actual logic to it, it's just people who don't actually know how to fight, they don't know how to hit, they don't know how to keep their distances, they don't control their attacks and put too many strength into it which brings them closer to their opponent, and somehow contemporary culture dictates that it goes to the ground. Learn to stay on your feet and punch/kick the shit out of someone, and that should take care of almost anyone.

Though learn to run away too, it's the best way to win any fight.
>>
>>32301126
also this >>32296115

I've often had people fall to the ground on their own, and attempt to make me fall along with them, as a desperate attempt to bring it to the ground.

Just don't, simply evade, he'll fall on the ground, and from that point you already won. Don't even attempt to fight at this point, that's what he'll be looking for hoping to grab you, just look at this sad retard struggling to get back up, and when he does, pushing on his arms to gain back his balance, this is when you strike.
>>
There is no be all end all style. In the end the "artist" matters more than the art. I would say study everything you can and take what works for you. No matter how much you train you'll be relying on basic instinct when someone catches you off guard and there's no telling what technique you would need for that situation because if you knew it was coming you could avoid it.
>>
>>32299639
>implying we use padded environments
Ok so the point of repetition is muscle memory. If you train for gross movements you will be able to execute those easily. Martial artists train so that under stress and adrenaline you can perform.
When you get a tolerance for adrenaline things you process things faster. It's easier to see things because you literally have more access to rods and cones.
>>
>>32295938
>prioritising judo over BJJ
Bought in to the MMA meme I see.
>>
>>32299808
You're a retard. Good thing you stopped posting.
>>
>>32299632
Only fucking good advice on this thread.
>>
>TFW you made so many autists butthurt that they attack your posts hours after you made the last one.
>>
>>32302573
It's actually shit advice.
>>
>>32301186
>Just don't, simply evade, he'll fall on the ground, and from that point you already won
i just want to point out that its a lot easier to avoid this kind of thing if you actually have grappling experience
>>
>>32302795
And also why judo>bjj.
>>
>>32299460
you know what? now that you mention it, i guess you are correct. i didn't notice because i already had a solid foundation to build off of.
>>
>>32302881
He's not correct, I went to an extremely proficient maga gym in Finland.

What he says may well be true for burgerclaps though. Although fit to fight on jewtube seems to be pretty good.
>>
>>32295319
If niggers fought honorably, yes. However, the reality is that 90% of street fights go to the ground because niggers team up on the victim and group-stomp/stab/beat him. Just get a gun and learn how to use it.
>>
There are few in this thread who know what they are talking about. Eveyone else is just acting.

As for advice to OP, avoid all confrontation. If you HAVE to fight it is probably going to be life or death and if you end up on the ground you will get your heae stomped in, if you get close to grapple you will get stabbed.

If you do not have a lot of time to allocate, boxing is the way. Footwork, speed, angles. All very important, not as emphasised in traditional martial arts.

Sparring in boxing is one of the most humbling experiences you can have.

Stay away from kicking in a street fight unless you have the lumpinee stadium on your resume. It is very hard to land a kick for most people, especially on an unpredictable surface like the streets.

Good luck.
>>
>>32295319
Short version? Yes. A good fighter is a well-rounded one. Even if you don't use the exact skills taught the physical training is valuable.
>>
>>32303929
i agree, being well rounded is the best thing to do
>>
>>32303841
>dont train grappling because getting in to those situations would he bad

You have to remember though that it's not always your choice whether or not you start grappling or go to the ground
Even boxers clinch all the time. You know what would make that citation 100000x worse though? Not knowing how to get out of them or come out on top which is not something you're going to know how to do unless you practice grappling.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.